[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

Just now, J-23 said:

You can matchup the Pettersson or Miller line. Have Blueger running the third line with Garland.

I thought our Playoff strategy was flawed. I thought we should have used Lindholm, Mikheyev and Bluegar/Suter to match up against mcwhiner and divesidle. That way Miller would have only had to play against them for 10 minutes or so. That would have given JT and Brock the other 10 minutes or so against lesser competition. That might have lead to more scoring opportunities for them. Having a good match up line is under-rated.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I thought our Playoff strategy was flawed. I thought we should have used Lindholm, Mikheyev and Bluegar/Suter to match up against mcwhiner and divesidle. That way Miller would have only had to play against them for 10 minutes or so. That would have given JT and Brock the other 10 minutes or so against lesser competition. That might have lead to more scoring opportunities for them. Having a good match up line is under-rated.

lol oilers would have eaten them up alive if we moved off the matchup.. we lost because we fail to get shots on goal and have a god awful powerplay that's prolly near the bottom of the league since the all star break. just like mcdavid is eating up anyone that's not their top matchup line.. you think the panthers 2nd and 3rd line is worse than the lindholm mikhyeyev bluegar/suter matchup? i don't think so mcdavid is eating them up alive when not against barkov

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I don’t agree. If Barkov is having a tough time with McDavid, those guys are going to get cooked. Miller did a good job.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol oilers would have eaten them up alive if we moved off the matchup.. we lost because we fail to get shots on goal and have a god awful powerplay that's prolly near the bottom of the league since the all star break. just like mcdavid is eating up anyone that's not their top matchup line.. you think the panthers 2nd and 3rd line is worse than the lindholm mikhyeyev bluegar/suter matchup? i don't think so mcdavid is eating them up alive when not against barkov

We lost because mcwhiner whined for power plays and got them. Also scummyland allowed them to intentionally injure our players.

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

We lost because mcwhiner whined for power plays and got them. Also scummyland allowed them to intentionally injure our players.

we lost because we forgot to play offense for 50-55 out of 60mins almost every game. they scored a whooping 2 powerplay goal in the last 4 games.. i'm sure we lost to the oilers vaunted powerplay stop making excuses to why we lost. our offensive execution wasn't good enough and didn't capitalize the few chances we had

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we lost because we forgot to play offense for 50-55 out of 60mins almost every game. they scored a whooping 2 powerplay goal in the last 4 games.. i'm sure we lost to the oilers vaunted powerplay stop making excuses to why we lost. our offensive execution wasn't good enough and didn't capitalize the few chances we had

We couldn't score 5 on 5 because our top offensive threats were used as shutdown.

Our PP sucked because Hughes and Miller held on too long or made bad passes and rarely used the full ice. Whenever they started to play pitch and catch the rest of the players became stagnant and waited and watched to see what they would do instead of moving their feet.

Edited by RWMc1

If there is no chance to sign Guentzel i would go with Teräväinen / Joshua or another combo like this.

Guentzel is my nr. 1 option but to be honest there are other options i like but only Guentzel says no to the Canucks or he ask for over 9.5M. 

Reinhart would be a dream but not realistic

1. Reinhart

2. Guentzel

3. Stamkos

4. Teräväinen

5. Stephenson

6. Toffoli

Edited by German Canuck

On 6/10/2024 at 8:50 AM, Boudrias said:

I prefer that Vancouver spread the money around to more players than acquiring a 29 year old Guentzel. A lot of money and term let alone the dynamics of such money going to a player versus what is being paid to the core now. I don't view that as positive.  

Was an interesting poll I think on Sekere's and Price (watched some of their hour long show).    These were the options:   What do you do with the 9 million?

1.  Guentzel 

2.  1F 1D

3.  2 F's

2    2 D's

Believe in this scenario, Zadorov and Myers are signed, Mikheyev out.  

2.  Example  Bertuzzi and Dillon (and change left over)

3. Examples:   Toffoli and 3C (Toffoli projected 6 x 3).   Bertuzzi and Joshua 

3.  Example:  Dillon Pesce  Dillon Roy 

One D and one F is awfully tempting.    A Bertuzzi, plus  Tanev or Roy?

QHs Roy/Tanev

Zadarov Hronek 

Soucy Myers

Juulsen.

Suter Miller Brock

Bertuzzi EP Hogs 

Garland Blueger Podz

??  ??  ??

Not a big upgrade upfront.   That D though yikes that's good. 

Or

Guentzel EP Podz

Suter Miller Brock

Hogs Blueger Garland

??  ?? ?? 

Left the bottom line out.   Depends on who wins spots out of camp.   And what they pick up before then.   Just consider it close to league MIN either way.    If Lekkerimaki earns a spot, then Hogs or Podz or Suter moves down. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

Hughes 

There's your pop......then you support that group with depth scoring 

That's not enough in my opinion.

Compare that to majority of cuo champs in the past 2 decades and all of them have at least 2 solid forward pairs and 2 game changers on the back end

Boes and Miller are also very good players but neither is an offensive magician out there to also help our PP

12 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I agree with this. Imagine how much better Petey would've been if he had legit top wingers on his line instead of Mikheyev....... Mik's playoff alone warranted a buyout. He was absolute trash! Give Petey a legit scoring winger in Guentzel (who also happens to play a very responsible 200' game) and these playoffs would've been very different. 

I saw earlier that someone would prefer Terravainen and Joshua at a combined 9.5m but in my opinion, I'd way rather have Guentzel and Podkolzin at a combined 10m. 

100% agree with this

Quality > quantity 

On 6/22/2024 at 4:16 PM, stawns said:

So focus on D and depth and wait for next year to find a better deal on W.  It also gives them this season to see what Boeser does and whether they want to keep him or not

On 6/22/2024 at 4:19 PM, Bob Long said:

why tread water tho? if we can land JG we solve several issues at once.

Garly just isn't going to be a Tocc top 6 player. 

Push on... don't waste the time we have Brock, Hughes, Demko etc at decent deals... 

Spending a year taking stock is standing still and actually going backwards... Why waste Miller as well? He may not be playing at this level forever... 

We were close to knocking Oilers out... the team that has 1 hand on the trophy now... So let's take a step back? Don't get that one at all.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Push on... don't waste the time we have Brock, Hughes, Demko etc at decent deals... 

Spending a year taking stock is standing still and actually going backwards... Why waste Miller as well? He may not be playing at this level forever... 

We were close to knocking Oilers out... the team that has 1 hand on the trophy now... So let's take a step back? Don't get that one at all.

How is it taking a step back?  Id say adding a high priced, long term contract that will prevent you from having the depth you need is a bigger step back.

I'd rather two players at roughly the same price you can get 1 Guentzal for.

And one way or the other, probably the best they can hopd for, this year, in the reg season is treading water.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, bh90 said:

That's not enough in my opinion.

Compare that to majority of cuo champs in the past 2 decades and all of them have at least 2 solid forward pairs and 2 game changers on the back end

Boes and Miller are also very good players but neither is an offensive magician out there to also help our PP

That's as much as any other team has

16 hours ago, stawns said:

Toffoli and Terravain on shorter term deals, for a similar cap hit as Jake guentzal

Hogz miller Boes

Terravainen Petey Toffoli

Well their collective cap hit should be 12-14M I doubt they signing for less than 6-7 Million

I am concerned about Teurvo I heard multiple reporters from Carolina say one of the biggest reasons they don't want to resign him is his practice habits haven't been a great fit with Robs coaching and the culture there.

I wish I could remember the podcast I heard this and maybe its not true but it is a concern for me especially when PA was stressing how important they value practice habits and how they want it to improve so that the back Half of season there isn't a drop off.

It also talked about how hes not that impactful of an ES player but more of a PP guy. I haven't watched him play too much but he is a guy who's probably going to get BIG Term.

I see no reason for TT to take a short term deal unless hes unhappy with his offers. 

And Toffoli is expected to be wanting a deal of $6.5-7M when he was in NJ before being traded.

If JG signs for 9-9.5 and Toffoli and Teurvo collectively sign for 12-14M to me that is a big difference and still comes with lots of risk.

Risk teurvo isn't a fit, with petey or on the PP in the role we want for him, but I do think he would probably work on the pp.

Then the term hes probably getting 5-7 year offers. Especially if its teams that aren't in a winning window that want to improve. I dont know how important being on a winning team is for him.

Toffoli comes down to term for me too.

But I personally would prefer JG and a depth piece or JG and Dillon rather than Teurvo / Toffoli combo. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Chandler Stephenson

Stephenson is a useful top six forward who can be deployed in a variety of roles.
Contributes better than secondary offense ... but not elite top six production.
Fantastic skater. Plays the game quick and fast.
Won 53% of his face-offs. Averaged 18:30 TOI. Used in all situations for VGK.
75GP - 16G -35A
Matches up against top six opponents.
Not overly physical - 43 hits / 40 shot blocks
Only 97 shots on goal
Has the skill, speed, and compete to potentially produce more offensively.
Expiring contract. Pending UFA. Only cost $2.75M in 23/24

Teuvo Teravainen

Motion player who plays quick and fast. Can be a threat off the rush. Not the kind of forward who will grind out a shift along the wall. Generally in motion / looking to make plays coming off the perimeter.
Fantastic puck touch. Excellent hand/eye coordination. Deployed in all situations. Better than average defensively. Jumps to space to disrupt opponents and create turnovers.
On the PP he generally works off the weak-side flank. Playmaker. Streaky.
Averaging 16:38 TOI - 11:06 ES - 3:40 PP - 1:51 PK ... 50/50 in face-off circle

These are two players that I would like to after if a Guentzel deal cannot get done.  Both are elite skaters and good defensive players, kill penalties and can play in the top 6.  Stephenson is more of a centre who can play wing and Teravainen is a pure winger.  Maybe he's our new Petri Skriko?

These guys would cost much less too.  6x6 should get it done for either player IMO.  

Both players have also won the Stanley Cup...

I can't say, I know too much about Chandler Stephenson, but isn't he just a Mikheyev type C?...

Speed, skill, defensively aware, not overly physical, matches up against top 6...

In his first season he had 13G 15A in 46games = 0.6 points/game

Stephenson 16G 35A in 75games = 0.68 point/game...

Mika hit a black hole offensively, and he needs a new start... but paying Stephenson $6-7M for 6-7 years sounds a bit expensive?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I can't say, I know too much about Chandler Stephenson, but isn't he just a Mikheyev type C?...

Speed, skill, defensively aware, not overly physical, matches up against top 6...

In his first season he had 13G 15A in 46games = 0.6 points/game

Stephenson 16G 35A in 75games = 0.68 point/game...

Mika hit a black hole offensively, and he needs a new start... but paying Stephenson $6-7M for 6-7 years sounds a bit expensive?

They honestly have some similarities.

He does better offensively when's hes playing LW in the top 6.

And he is fast, a good forechecker but his finish is frustrating from people who watch him day in and day out.

I do like him though and think if you swapped him and Mik salary one for one I would prefer Chandler as he brings more versatility to line up.

Like a Suter / Mikehyev combo aha.

• Cheers 1