[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well their collective cap hit should be 12-14M I doubt they signing for less than 6-7 Million

I am concerned about Teurvo I heard multiple reporters from Carolina say one of the biggest reasons they don't want to resign him is his practice habits haven't been a great fit with Robs coaching and the culture there.

I wish I could remember the podcast I heard this and maybe its not true but it is a concern for me especially when PA was stressing how important they value practice habits and how they want it to improve so that the back Half of season there isn't a drop off.

It also talked about how hes not that impactful of an ES player but more of a PP guy. I haven't watched him play too much but he is a guy who's probably going to get BIG Term.

I see no reason for TT to take a short term deal unless hes unhappy with his offers. 

And Toffoli is expected to be wanting a deal of $6.5-7M when he was in NJ before being traded.

If JG signs for 9-9.5 and Toffoli and Teurvo collectively sign for 12-14M to me that is a big difference and still comes with lots of risk.

Risk teurvo isn't a fit, with petey or on the PP in the role we want for him, but I do think he would probably work on the pp.

Then the term hes probably getting 5-7 year offers. Especially if its teams that aren't in a winning window that want to improve. I dont know how important being on a winning team is for him.

Toffoli comes down to term for me too.

But I personally would prefer JG and a depth piece or JG and Dillon rather than Teurvo / Toffoli combo. 

I think I read the expected contract for terravainen was $5.5 over 5 years....... toffoli may be more, but that next tier of players often gets less than they expect because the teams with cap space are all gone on the high priced guys.

Whether it's those two or not, there are many options better than dropping $9.5m on a guy who probably isn't going to move the needle as much as people think he is

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

They honestly have some similarities.

He does better offensively when's hes playing LW in the top 6.

And he is fast, a good forechecker but his finish is frustrating from people who watch him day in and day out.

I do like him though and think if you swapped him and Mik salary one for one I would prefer Chandler as he brings more versatility to line up.

Like a Suter / Mikehyev combo aha.

He is a Center and that of course helps, but I just don't think we should blow the load on a both 6C while Petey needs help...

If we sign him to play top 6 my fear is he'll end up being another Mikhayev... at a longer contract.

But again, I don't know that much about him, and are only comparing numbers 🙂

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's as much as any other team has

Well I'd argue on cup contending/winning years

Florida - Tkachuk, Barkov, Reinhart, Verheaghe(sp?), Rodrigues, Bennett, Tarasenko

Edmonton - McDavid, Draisatl, Hyman, RNH (with McDavid & Draisatl being generational talents)

Colorado- Mckinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Nichuskin, Kadri

Tampa Bay - kucherov, Point, Stamkos and more

Vegas - Stone, Eichel, Karlsson, Marschesault and more

Pittsburgh- Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel with an amazing supporting cast over the years in their cup winning teams

I'd argue our trio of Miller, Boeser, Petey are not at that level of thr guys above.

Those teams have dominated the playoffs in the last decade and teams that have great depth and a great collection of solid players have not I.e. stars, Islanders, Hurricanes, Jets etc

Just now, bh90 said:

Well I'd argue on cup contending/winning years

Florida - Tkachuk, Barkov, Reinhart, Verheaghe(sp?), Rodrigues, Bennett, Tarasenko

Edmonton - McDavid, Draisatl, Hyman, RNH (with McDavid & Draisatl being generational talents)

Colorado- Mckinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Nichuskin, Kadri

Tampa Bay - kucherov, Point, Stamkos and more

Vegas - Stone, Eichel, Karlsson, Marschesault and more

Pittsburgh- Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel with an amazing supporting cast over the years in their cup winning teams

I'd argue our trio of Miller, Boeser, Petey are not at that level of thr guys above.

Those teams have dominated the playoffs in the last decade and teams that have great depth and a great collection of solid players have not I.e. stars, Islanders, Hurricanes, Jets etc

And Hughes, who is a point a game dman

You just made my point that those teams have no more top end guys than van currently has.  It's how much depth you surround them with that matters, imo. 

Right now they have hogz and garland as depth scorers, that's it.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I can't say, I know too much about Chandler Stephenson, but isn't he just a Mikheyev type C?...

Speed, skill, defensively aware, not overly physical, matches up against top 6...

In his first season he had 13G 15A in 46games = 0.6 points/game

Stephenson 16G 35A in 75games = 0.68 point/game...

Mika hit a black hole offensively, and he needs a new start... but paying Stephenson $6-7M for 6-7 years sounds a bit expensive?

Their production isn't really comparable though, at least not recently 

Mikheyev's past three seasons have looked like..

21 goals and 11 assists, or 32 points, back in 21-22

13 goals and 15 assists, or 28 points, back in 22-23

11 goals and 20 assists, or 31 points, in 23-24

The caveat is that he's played 53, 46, and 78 games over those seasons, but those are still third line point totals regardless of what his point per game rate was the first couple seasons 

Stephenson's last three seasons have looked like..

21 goals and 43 assists, or 64 points, back in 21-22

16 goals and 49 assists, or 65 points, back in 22-23

16 goals and 35 assists, or 51 points, in 23-24

It's a bit of an anomaly amongst his playoff runs, but he did put up 10 goals and 10 assists in 22 games to help the Knights win the cup 

The last three seasons he's also played 79, 81, and 75 games while putting up borderline first line production, and second line production this past season 

Seems he's more of a puck distributor who would probably work just fine with players who can bury the puck

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think I read the expected contract for terravainen was $5.5 over 5 years....... toffoli may be more, but that next tier of players often gets less than they expect because the teams with cap space are all gone on the high priced guys.

Whether it's those two or not, there are many options better than dropping $9.5m on a guy who probably isn't going to move the needle as much as people think he is

I don’t watch terreveinen a lot but I wouldn’t want him. Seems small and not a play driver, more a beneficiary of being on good teams. Do you have a Better / more informed view?

The funny thing about Stephenson is that he was part of that Capitals team who knocked Vegas out of their first season cup final, then he went on to win the cup with them a handful of years later 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The caveat is that he's played 53, 46, and 78 games over those seasons, but those are still third line point totals regardless of what his point per game rate was the first couple seasons 

It's a bit of an anomaly amongst his playoff runs, but he did put up 10 goals and 10 assists in 22 games to help the Knights win the cup 

The last three seasons he's also played 79, 81, and 75 games while putting up borderline first line production, and second line production this past season 

Cheers appreciated... ok yes better stats than Mika... 

Still not entirely sold on around 20 goals each season for a player that will be paid $6-7M...  Surely we can't find a better goal scorer than that for Peteys wing..

Not dissing the player, but is he what we are looking for? Maybe I'm wrong and this is what a 30 year old player costs....

Edited by spook007

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers appreciated... ok yes better stats than Mika... 

Still not entirely sold on around 20 goals each season for a player that will be paid $6-7M...  Surely we can't find a better goal scorer than that for Peteys wing..

Not dissing the player, but is he what we are looking for? Maybe I'm wrong and this is what a 30 year old player costs....

Hard to say what his ask is, he may very well end up back in Vegas somehow too

I view him more as a playmaking center, or a potential top six playmaking winger, but that's part of why I find him appealing

All of Boeser, Miller, and Pettersson like to shoot, having a guy whose bread and butter is more his playmaking ain't a bad thing 

15-20 goals is fine if he's putting up 30-45 assists 

No, he's not as much of a trigger man, but depending on who else they want in their top six with Boeser, Pettersson, and Miller he may not need to be

Give him powerplay time and some shooters to work with and it'd probably work out alright 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems he's more of a puck distributor who would probably work just fine with players who can bury the puck

Stephenson spent a couple years playing on the top line in Vegas. He had good chemistry with Marchessault and Stone so he was put on that line because he was the best fit the team had. Similar to Brendan Morrison being part of the WCE. Once Vegas added Eichel, Stephenson dropped down the lineup which explains his drop in production. He's a very capable top 6 center or winger but I feel like he's gonna be expensive.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Stephenson spent a couple years playing on the top line in Vegas. He had good chemistry with Marchessault and Stone so he was put on that line because he was the best fit the team had. Similar to Brendan Morrison being part of the WCE. Once Vegas added Eichel, Stephenson dropped down the lineup which explains his drop in production. He's a very capable top 6 center or winger but I feel like he's gonna be expensive.

Probably, but that's also going to be true of any higher end options we look at. The fact that he's been able to thrive with higher end talent bodes well though, because he's be getting a first or second line role here. 

Guentzel is more of a dual threat, he can be both trigger man and playmaker, but he'll probably also cost quite a bit more. 

Possible that Guentzel is just too rich for the Canucks. They might be offering him $8, when he would likely get $9+ from another team.

Saw it mentioned the Canucks might be pursuing Tyler Toffoli. There is familiarity there, Petey would be happy and comfortable. And Toffoli would be much cheaper. Maybe they could then re-sign Zadorov?

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Garland/Lekkerimaki or ? - Pettersson - Toffoli

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

Possible that Guentzel is just too rich for the Canucks. They might be offering him $8, when he would likely get $9+ from another team.

Saw it mentioned the Canucks might be pursuing Tyler Toffoli. There is familiarity there, Petey would be happy and comfortable. And Toffoli would be much cheaper. Maybe they could then re-sign Zadorov?

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Garland/Lekkerimaki or ? - Pettersson - Toffoli

Tofu was gone before new management and coaches came in. The core players are familiar with him. But IMHAO management will not go that way. They want speed on the wings.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

He is a Center and that of course helps, but I just don't think we should blow the load on a both 6C while Petey needs help...

If we sign him to play top 6 my fear is he'll end up being another Mikhayev... at a longer contract.

But again, I don't know that much about him, and are only comparing numbers 🙂

@R3aL/ @spook007 If i may pile on. What about something like Mik + 1st for Pageau + Holmstrom

We get a right shot C allbeit over paid 5m x 2 but still very servicable 3c and a prototype winger for Pete in Holmstrom 23 has decent size excellent defensive chopps and can put the biscuit in the basket. 

He put up 15g playing largely defensive deployment with a >20 shooting% for good reason too literally 32 of his 72 shots came from the doorstep. If he's this hard to handle net front at 23 he will be a stud at 25+ he's already a takeaway machine. 

heat map

image.png.bb811bf2614d3576338eb5bbf8b4dd47.png  

NYI has <6m cap space with 18 man roster we could threaten offersheet with 2nd rounder compensation to entice them to come to the table. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

@R3aL/ @spook007 If i may pile on. What about something like Mik + 1st for Pageau + Holmstrom

We get a right shot C allbeit over paid 5m x 2 but still very servicable 3c and a prototype winger for Pete in Holmstrom 23 has decent size excellent defensive chopps and can put the biscuit in the basket. 

He put up 15g playing largely defensive deployment with a >20 shooting% for good reason too literally 32 of his 72 shots came from the doorstep. If he's this hard to handle net front at 23 he will be a stud at 25+ he's already a takeaway machine. 

heat map

image.png.bb811bf2614d3576338eb5bbf8b4dd47.png  

NYI has <6m cap space with 18 man roster we could threaten offersheet with 2nd rounder compensation to entice them to come to the table. 

Holmstrom is an interesting one... decent size, and yes if he likes to go to net, it could be interesting... won't break the neither...

If he keeps improving then him on one wing and Lekkerimaki on the other in two years? 

I'm still not sure if he is strong enough offensively to give Petey the winger he needs next season?

I really want us to go for it, and believe we need a player that can score on Peteys wing, as Petey is a great playmaker and goal scorer...

At times it looked like the opposition doubled up on Petey, and we need somebody else, that can create offence with him. and then the 3rd player can be ` knuckle dragger that goes into the dirty areas...

Price wise they could make it work, and if they decided to go for another player, Garland could be next in line... don't think he would be hard to move after his play this season... 

And yes I think they'll want a 1st to take Mika on and give up on Holmstrom 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

If you play on a line with Marchessault and Stone... You are likely get a lot of points...

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

we gotta find someone else to represent the Canucks… have you seen that interview with him and his wife… kinda sketchy 

He's handsome. Doesn't matter.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

If you play on a line with Marchessault and Stone... You are likely get a lot of points...

That's what I'm saying. While it inflated his point totals for a couple years, it also shows that he's a very capable top 6 player. I'd still rather have Guentzel but Stephenson wouldn't be a bad plan b or c in my opinion.

Edited by zduck14
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1