[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

7 hours ago, stawns said:

And Hughes, who is a point a game dman

You just made my point that those teams have no more top end guys than van currently has.  It's how much depth you surround them with that matters, imo. 

Right now they have hogz and garland as depth scorers, that's it.

I didn't Include the dmen for any of those teams. Just forwards

And all those forward groups are arguably on another tie than the trio you mentioned of Boeser, Miller and Petey

If you think we can win by adding depth than I sure am glad you're not the GM

We need to raise our bar and add more elite talent if we want to win a cup

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

19 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I didn't Include the dmen for any of those teams. Just forwards

And all those forward groups are arguably on another tie than the trio you mentioned of Boeser, Miller and Petey

If you think we can win by adding depth than I sure am glad you're not the GM

I think almost everyone would agree that Petey, Miller and Boeser are absolutely in the same tier as guys like Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, Rantanen, etc. Like you said though, we're missing one or two more guys like this to be able to compete.

In my opinion, we had 2 issues that cost us. Demko was obviously a huge one but the other was Petey playing with a winger that belonged in the ECHL. Petey looked off most of the playoffs but he set up Mik and Hogs over and over and neither one could do anything. And not just in the playoffs, from the all-star break on, he kept doing it only to have the play die as soon as Mik touched the puck. If any if Petey's winger were playing like top 6 guys, Petey would've had another 15 or so assists in the regular season and 5 to 10 in the playoffs.

There was a play early in game 7 where Miller fed Mik right front of the net and Mik couldn't do anything with it. When the camera showed Petey and Miller right after that they both looked frustrated. 

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

On 6/21/2024 at 11:54 PM, RWJC said:

If no Guentzel what’s your backup plan then? Keep in mind that the focus from PA is to add to top 6. Who and for how much?

We can look into the trade market as well. Signing free agents is not always a solution because those players are definitely asking for a big raises!! 

• Vintage 1

Not that JG wouldnt be a nice add if everything works out, but Id like to see the Canucks do something a little unpredicted too.   Sign a good UFA at a cheaper rate and trade for a younger player.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

@R3aL/ @spook007 If i may pile on. What about something like Mik + 1st for Pageau + Holmstrom

We get a right shot C allbeit over paid 5m x 2 but still very servicable 3c and a prototype winger for Pete in Holmstrom 23 has decent size excellent defensive chopps and can put the biscuit in the basket. 

He put up 15g playing largely defensive deployment with a >20 shooting% for good reason too literally 32 of his 72 shots came from the doorstep. If he's this hard to handle net front at 23 he will be a stud at 25+ he's already a takeaway machine. 

heat map

image.png.bb811bf2614d3576338eb5bbf8b4dd47.png  

NYI has <6m cap space with 18 man roster we could threaten offersheet with 2nd rounder compensation to entice them to come to the table. 

I dont know it really would be a bet on Holmstrom. 

JGP you know what you get and for a role on the team he would def fill a role at a price a little more than you want though. And I you put a guy like Duhaime/Joshua that style of winger with him and Garland I am sure it would be a pretty solid combo for a 3rd Line.

I am kind of scared to trade any more 1st rounders unless its for something really solid would you trade our 2025 for Holmstrom straight up? I dont know him well enough to answer that myself.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

He is a Center and that of course helps, but I just don't think we should blow the load on a both 6C while Petey needs help...

If we sign him to play top 6 my fear is he'll end up being another Mikhayev... at a longer contract.

But again, I don't know that much about him, and are only comparing numbers 🙂

He shouldn't be the 2nd best player on a top line.

He would end up getting deployed as our 3rd C by coaching staff for sure if we signed him and he would probably play with Garland.

If we say signed Stephenson + Marchessault I could see them doing 

Stephenson-PEtey-Marchessault situationally but PKing at C and spending some even time also with Garland at 3C situationally or for stretches of the season or covering C if injuries higher up.

But ya he cannot be the primary acquisition at all as he is not a bonafide top line or even top 6 forward 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

He shouldn't be the 2nd best player on a top line.

He would end up getting deployed as our 3rd C by coaching staff for sure if we signed him and he would probably play with Garland.

If we say signed Stephenson + Marchessault I could see them doing 

Stephenson-PEtey-Marchessault situationally but PKing at C and spending some even time also with Garland at 3C situationally or for stretches of the season or covering C if injuries higher up.

But ya he cannot be the primary acquisition at all as he is not a bonafide top line or even top 6 forward 

This I can totally align with... Cheers amigo. 🙂

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, bh90 said:

You do know that will come at the expense of our depth. Guy's who were huge for us in the playoffs

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

You do know that will come at the expense of our depth. Guy's who were huge for us in the playoffs

True enough. There needs to be a balance between elite talent and depth. But having Garlsnd playing the role of a third line winger who doesn’t PP or PK at five mil is a luxury that impacts that balance. If he was a centre, who was PK 1 and took heavy D zone minutes (including draws) that would be different. But he’s not. And on this club he’s not a top six player. He’s therefore a luxury. 
Fingers, toes and eyes crossed we can move off all his cap.

• Like 1

To me, the most ideal scenario would be moving Mik, Garland and not re-signing Dak and using that money towards Guentzel and Stephenson. Stephenson would split time between Petey's line and the 3C spot. With a top 6 of Petey, Miller, Guentzel, Boeser, Stephenson and Hoglander/Podkolzin/Lekkermaki? It would be a drastic upgrade from what we had this year.

10 hours ago, RolexSub said:

We can look into the trade market as well. Signing free agents is not always a solution because those players are definitely asking for a big raises!! 

That's what I'm hoping for.  Be patient and dont make desperate moves on July 1.  They need to build methodically, imo.

9 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

To me, the most ideal scenario would be moving Mik, Garland and not re-signing Dak and using that money towards Guentzel and Stephenson. Stephenson would split time between Petey's line and the 3C spot. With a top 6 of Petey, Miller, Guentzel, Boeser, Stephenson and Hoglander/Podkolzin/Lekkermaki? It would be a drastic upgrade from what we had this year.

By all accounts, last year's team had great chemistry and were a close knit team........why would they want to completely upend that dressing room after the year they just had?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

By all accounts, last year's team had great chemistry and were a close knit team........why would they want to completely upend that dressing room after the year they just had?

There's no way swapping out 3 or 4 guys for players who, by all accounts have proven to be great teammates on their previous teams would hurt the chemistry this team has built. We're not talking about rebuilding the team. You can't tell me Boeser, Miller and Petey wouldn't be absolutely pumped to add talent like Guentzel and Stephenson. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

There's no way swapping out 3 or 4 guys for players who, by all accounts have proven to be great teammates on their previous teams would hurt the chemistry this team has built. We're not talking about rebuilding the team. You can't tell me Boeser, Miller and Petey wouldn't be absolutely pumped to add talent like Guentzel and Stephenson. 

Hell Boeser has even told his agent to talk to Guentzel to come to Vancouver because they have the same agent

51 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Hell Boeser has even told his agent to talk to Guentzel to come to Vancouver because they have the same agent

that was bullshit invented by patrick johnston. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I think almost everyone would agree that Petey, Miller and Boeser are absolutely in the same tier as guys like Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, Rantanen, etc. Like you said though, we're missing one or two more guys like this to be able to compete.

In my opinion, we had 2 issues that cost us. Demko was obviously a huge one but the other was Petey playing with a winger that belonged in the ECHL. Petey looked off most of the playoffs but he set up Mik and Hogs over and over and neither one could do anything. And not just in the playoffs, from the all-star break on, he kept doing it only to have the play die as soon as Mik touched the puck. If any if Petey's winger were playing like top 6 guys, Petey would've had another 15 or so assists in the regular season and 5 to 10 in the playoffs.

There was a play early in game 7 where Miller fed Mik right front of the net and Mik couldn't do anything with it. When the camera showed Petey and Miller right after that they both looked frustrated. 

Mik was the personification of king Midas in reverse - king Midas with a curse - everything he touched turned to dust… heck Kuz woulda scored more than Mik… my grandma on one leg and one arm tied behind her back woulda scored more than Mik… 

• Cheers 1

Regards to locker room chemistry, I don't think this management group will go out and sign the likes of PLD, Laine, Deangelo, Evander.

I do think we need some magic done and sell on a high (Garland) and keep Mik until he has value again, and make bargains.

I'm still split about adding a long JG contract vs 2 mid ranked wingers cheaper (Debrusk, Terv, or Duclair). Maybe all the rumors about JG is a smoke screen?

I wouldn't mind going into the season with some cap flexibility and make some signings as we go along like they did with Big Z.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Regards to locker room chemistry, I don't think this management group will go out and sign the likes of PLD, Laine, Deangelo, Evander.

I do think we need some magic done and sell on a high (Garland) and keep Mik until he has value again, and make bargains.

I'm still split about adding a long JG contract vs 2 mid ranked wingers cheaper (Debrusk, Terv, or Duclair). Maybe all the rumors about JG is a smoke screen?

I wouldn't mind going into the season with some cap flexibility and make some signings as we go along like they did with Big Z.

It's not that guys are bad in the dressing room or that everyone needs, or is, bff's with everyone in the room.  Chemistry is about how well everyone mesh's together, about how certain guys can bridge the gaps between different cliques etc.

Last year, the roster was tight and the team meshed together incredibly well and they all believed in each other and had each other's back.  Changing out a fifth or a quarter of those guys is going to change that, there's no escaping that.

It's certainly possible they can build that with new guys, but you simply don't know how it's going to flush out, so it's a huge risk.  

Personally, id prefer to see a log of the same guys back and add new faces gradually.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not that guys are bad in the dressing room or that everyone needs, or is, bff's with everyone in the room.  Chemistry is about how well everyone mesh's together, about how certain guys can bridge the gaps between different cliques etc.

Last year, the roster was tight and the team meshed together incredibly well and they all believed in each other and had each other's back.  Changing out a fifth or a quarter of those guys is going to change that, there's no escaping that.

It's certainly possible they can build that with new guys, but you simply don't know how it's going to flush out, so it's a huge risk.  

Personally, id prefer to see a log of the same guys back and add new faces gradually.

I can see PA extending some of the familiar faces (but letting Dak walk unfortunately/justifiably) and bringing in a couple lower cost UFAs like Toffoli for EPs wing and another depth piece and then making any further adjustments going forward. It makes sense, the $ work, and there’s still ample time before the season starts or even into it to make further necessary changes. The point right now is to provide the club with better resources  while still maintaining cohesiveness and without decimating camaraderie. Fine balance. 

I imagine the UFA prices will prove too high and we instead bolster where we can and spread the $ evenly. At least I hope so. Would love JG here but not as an overpayment and certainly not at the expense of balancing the strength of the entire F group. 

Edited by RWJC

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tocchet, JR/PA know which guys are key to the room. They will build out the roster with UFAs and trades and we will be a great team again next season. The Empties go with another 105 point year.

On 6/24/2024 at 5:19 AM, Alflives said:

True enough. There needs to be a balance between elite talent and depth. But having Garlsnd playing the role of a third line winger who doesn’t PP or PK at five mil is a luxury that impacts that balance. If he was a centre, who was PK 1 and took heavy D zone minutes (including draws) that would be different. But he’s not. And on this club he’s not a top six player. He’s therefore a luxury. 

It's a bit chicken egg. Are we better off with a player that that is better on the power play or one that gets us power plays. 

On 6/24/2024 at 5:19 AM, Alflives said:

It's a bit chicken egg. Are we better off with a player that that is better on the power play or one that is excellent 5v5 and gets us power plays. 

Edited by Hammertime