[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

PA: Yes, I would like another Mojito. Waitress!!!! In the meantime it appears that I have the ability to offer a 5 year, $7mil AAV contract this free agency for some special type of player.

Gunner's Agent: That's not bad. However, you really should consider something in the realm of 7 years at $8.5 mil AAV contract that is heavy with signing bonuses, attract a better group of my clie- aahhhh .... better group of Free Agents.

PA: I can probably do 7 years, but I don't think I can go higher than $7.5mil AAV maybe squeeze about $8mil. SB are just fine!

Gunner's Agent: Don't forget that the current CBA ends in a couple of years so my clie - ahhhhh your typical free agent wouldn't want to lose out on any money in the event of a lockout.

PA: Holy Fuck! This isn't my first rodeo, bonuses would absolutely be paid by a certain date.

Gunner's Agent: Fantastic!!!!! I will let my clie ... aahhhhh spread the good word far and wide. You know, with a guaranteed payment via SB by a certain date I am sure there would be a player or two just GUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNG for that type of certainty with a bit of a discount.

PA: I'll speak to you at noon next week

Gunner's Agent: You'll be my first call on July 1st .... Happy early Canada Day! What time do you wake up?

PA: I never sleep. Good to catch up and we should go out and do some shotGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG on July 2nd.

Gunner's Agent: Isn't that called Skeet?

Bettman's office investigates and sadly reports back to Buttman that no tampering has occurred.

Edited by Rocket-68

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Elliotte says no.  Which means there's a solid chance for us!  YAY!

And this vague piece of insider intel. 

"I had someone tell me there's a lot bubbling under the surface there," Friedman said. "There are some really good teams that you wouldn't think can do it that are wondering, 'How can we do it?'"

😆

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

And this vague piece of insider intel. 

"I had someone tell me there's a lot bubbling under the surface there," Friedman said. "There are some really good teams that you wouldn't think can do it that are wondering, 'How can we do it?'"

😆

trying to make himself relevant 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Nine ?  Forget it. Seriously. That's what's called gutting the team.

Would Guentzel be impactful enough with this team to justify the price tag? Personally, I doubt it. Especially if it affects the team’s ability to shore up their defense. There are other cheaper players who could complement Pettersson. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would Guentzel be impactful enough with this team to justify the price tag? Personally, I doubt it. Especially if it affects the team’s ability to shore up their defense. There are other cheaper players who could complement Pettersson. 

I do. If we're going to get the most out of Petey, he needs a true top line winger. 

I know, 11.5 he should do it on his own, etc etc but if you look at the top C's in the league, they all have that kind of wing man. 

We'd have two very legit top lines paired around Miller-Boeser, Guentzel-Petey, and Tocc can teach the kids in the bottom 6 how to grind out games. 

• Like 1

Did you fall asleep this last month? That number has been floating for a long time. It might even go to 10 if there is a bidding war.

As for “gutting the team”, how so? He is the best player available in free agency and our biggest need is a top 6 winger for Petey. 

You would be “gutting the team” more so by not signing a player like this. 

If you want to own a newer Corvette, don’t expect to pay Civic prices. 

JG is a difference maker. 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I do. If we're going to get the most out of Petey, he needs a true top line winger. 

I know, 11.5 he should do it on his own, etc etc but if you look at the top C's in the league, they all have that kind of wing man. 

We'd have two very legit top lines paired around Miller-Boeser, Guentzel-Petey, and Tocc can teach the kids in the bottom 6 how to grind out games. 

1d2a7d93-1c48-4263-863e-b7923ef94e72_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What most people would say about EP's contract.  No favours were done there either.

Maybe I just don't get the mentality but if I'm EP and I already had $25M to my name, I think I would be just fine with $8M/yr x 8 knowing I'm helping the team be more competitive and the fans will be more likely to support me through some rough parts of the schedule. Not sure how an extra $3.5M/yr would change my lifestyle or the friends and family around me in a meaningful way.  If EP stinks it up he'll go from a fan favourite to the bad guy in an awful hurry.  He has to play at a $11+ / yr pace and keep it up in order for this team to have success and we still don't know if that's going to happen through the playoffs. 

You can't do these contracts too much on a team.....as Toronto clearly demonstrates.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Did you fall asleep this last month? That number has been floating for a long time. It might even go to 10 if there is a bidding war.

As for “gutting the team”, how so? He is the best player available in free agency and our biggest need is a top 6 winger for Petey. 

You would be “gutting the team” more so by not signing a player like this. 

If you want to own a newer Corvette, don’t expect to pay Civic prices. 

JG is a difference maker. 

It's not so clear-cut as you make it seem though.  When year-in, year-out you are at the cap, you only get players like this at those prices by subtracting elsewhere.  I don't think anyone disagrees that JG would be a difference-maker.  But, if it means losing Zadorov, Joshua, Blueger and others without finding a pile of low-cost gems out there, you have to ask if what JG adds is greater than what you are losing.  What happens if JG signs here at a huge payday and doesn't gel with EP?  

So a GM has to determine what the hardest positions and attributes are to find or develop.  Someone like Zadorov is very difficult to find, so that's where things get difficult.  For once this team finally had a formidable defensive group.....and it's no surprise that they had a great year.  Personally, I'd be thrilled to have JG on the team and gelling well with EP, but for $9M/yr I'd rather have Zadorov and a $4M/yr guy who EP turns into an $8M/yr player.  Because that's what an $11.5M/yr player should be doing.....not needing another $9M/yr player to help him play well.  

If EP was playing at his best in the playoffs, the team would have had a real shot.....they really did anyway.  So adding a huge contract to the mix for the long-term is VERY risky.  Everyone here seems to think it would be a home run for the Canucks, but if our D is a lot worse this year, we'll be reminded of how important it is to build around the goalie, D and centers in this league......not wingers.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I couldn't agree more. Looking around at other star players and the guys they play with on a regular basis:

McKinnon-Rantanen,

Kucherov-Point,

McDavid-Draisaitl,

Barkov-Tkachuk,

Miller-Boeser,

Matthews-Marner

Pastrnak-Marchand

Petterson-Mikheyev

Maybe it's just me, but one of these names doesn't exactly belong anywhere near this list and yet people still expect Petey to succeed despite having an ECHL caliber linemate. Mik could play with McDavid and would be lucky to reach 20 goals.....

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, zduck14 said:

I couldn't agree more. Looking around at other star players and the guys they play with on a regular basis:

McKinnon-Rantanen,

Kucherov-Point,

McDavid-Draisaitl,

Barkov-Tkachuk,

Miller-Boeser,

Matthews-Marner

Pastrnak-Marchand

Petterson-Mikheyev

Maybe it's just me, but one of these names doesn't exactly belong anywhere near this list and yet people still expect Petey to succeed despite having an ECHL caliber linemate. Mik could play with McDavid and would be lucky to reach 20 goals.....

great list, thanks. It's very clear why JR/PA would target Guentzel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I do think Pettersson is what gets in the way of getting the most out of him. What if Guentzel is signed and then Pettersson has another disappearing act for a spell? 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

McDavid has Hyman who makes $5.5M a season, MacKinnon had Drouin and Lekonen. Neither broke the bank anywhere near $9M. Even the Panthers first line is Barkov, Reinhart and Verhaeghe, only Barkov makes Pettersson level money. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There should be more skill on the top line for sure, but Guentzel may not be the answer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

great list, thanks. It's very clear why JR/PA would target Guentzel. 

I was going to add Crosby-Guentzel to the list but Crosby is a bit of an anomaly.... That said, the Aho-Guentzel combo really proved that JG wasn't just reliant on Sid for his success. 

I do believe Petey and Guentzel would be an elite line and having them along with Miller-Boeser on a separate line would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

What most people would say about EP's contract.  No favours were done there either.

Maybe I just don't get the mentality but if I'm EP and I already had $25M to my name, I think I would be just fine with $8M/yr x 8 knowing I'm helping the team be more competitive and the fans will be more likely to support me through some rough parts of the schedule. Not sure how an extra $3.5M/yr would change my lifestyle or the friends and family around me in a meaningful way.  If EP stinks it up he'll go from a fan favourite to the bad guy in an awful hurry.  He has to play at a $11+ / yr pace and keep it up in order for this team to have success and we still don't know if that's going to happen through the playoffs. 

You can't do these contracts too much on a team.....as Toronto clearly demonstrates.

lol what kind of take is this? Because I made $25 million I’ll take less to help the team? Name one player that thinks and operates that way? Mcdavid made like 80+mil + endorsement. He should take a league minimum contract so he can win the cup then? Players rarely take massive discount beyond 500k-1mil for teams. Management have 0 loyalty to players. You can be good 1 season struggle the next and they will happily trade you or buy you out if necessary.

As for Toronto.. what part of this is even close to Toronto? They have 4 players at around 11mil? We have 1 and if we go after jg at 9.. that’s nothing remotely close to Toronto.. they signed those guys when cap is at like 80 and below.. we signing these guy when the cap is closer to 90.. Vegas have these types of contract.. Tampa rangers etc all have similar contract structures so does Colorado.. Vancouver even signing a jg at 9 is not even remotely close to those teams in cap structure.. their issue is they are spending so much on bottom 6 and bottom 4 defence