[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

In any case, there's only one Guentzel regardless of how many folks want him, and more than likely if he doesn't extend with the Canes he'll at least see what's out there in UFA. The odds of any team missing out on Guentzel are probably larger than the odds of them landing him.

Seems unlikely he's flipped elsewhere at this point with July 1st right around the corner. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I do think Pettersson is what gets in the way of getting the most out of him. What if Guentzel is signed and then Pettersson has another disappearing act for a spell? 

McDavid has Hyman who makes $5.5M a season, MacKinnon had Drouin and Lekonen. Neither broke the bank anywhere near $9M. Even the Panthers first line is Barkov, Reinhart and Verhaeghe, only Barkov makes Pettersson level money. 

There should be more skill on the top line for sure, but Guentzel may not be the answer. 

It's worth noting that Reinhart and Verhaeghe didn't become elite forwards until they played regularly with Barkov.

Hyman clearly benefits from McDavid.

Drouin and Lehkonen are not star level forwards by any means, even playing with Mackinnon.  However Mac can do it all himself.

We need talent to play with Petey, but we also need them to build chemistry.  Hoglander is probably 1 piece of the puzzle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I was going to add Crosby-Guentzel to the list but Crosby is a bit of an anomaly.... That said, the Aho-Guentzel combo really proved that JG wasn't just reliant on Sid for his success. 

I do believe Petey and Guentzel would be an elite line and having them along with Miller-Boeser on a separate line would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Yep me too. I think that gets us to the finals.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's worth noting that Reinhart and Verhaeghe didn't become elite forwards until they played regularly with Barkov.

Hyman clearly benefits from McDavid.

Drouin and Lehkonen are not star level forwards by any means, even playing with Mackinnon.  However Mac can do it all himself.

We need talent to play with Petey, but we also need them to build chemistry.  Hoglander is probably 1 piece of the puzzle.

Pettersson also needs to be a player like the other top tier ones. A player who makes those who play with him better. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pettersson also needs to be a player like the other top tier ones. A player who makes those who play with him better. 

Absolutely! But.... he got to play with Mikheyev all year. Not even MacKinnon or McDavid were going to turn him into a legit top 6 player. He was THAT bad! Players like Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Hyman and even Drouin and Lehkonen are drastic upgrades from Mikheyev. 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think there are a number of teams out there who'd happily give him what they want, without him needing to take some sort of discount

Lot of teams interested

Are these even insider reports lol.

Teams are interested in signing a top line winger. Alf can report these things.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

12 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Absolutely! But.... he got to play with Mikheyev all year. Not even MacKinnon or McDavid were going to turn him into a legit top 6 player. He was THAT bad! Players like Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Hyman and even Drouin and Lehkonen are drastic upgrades from Mikheyev. 

And all can be had for 6-7M a year, with the exception of Reinhart, although I think the market will cool on him. 

It’s that Mikeyev was a black hole for offense. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And all can be had for 6-7M a year, with the exception of Reinhart, although I think the market will cool on him. 

You might have been able to originally sign these guys at a bargain price but no way are Hyman and Verhaeghe going for 6 or 7 if they were on the market this summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know nobody links him to the canucks but if he by any chance wants to return to Vancouver and is willing to take a home-town discount contract i'd love to bring him in.

But there are red flags with him. he's only been a PPG player twice in his career and this year he had a 24.3% shooting percentange.

realistically he's more of a 35-40G, 70-80PT player.

But he is only 28 which is around the same time JT Miller's game elevated

it's a tough one, does a team offer him 10+ million based on one great season, and many other very good seasons? He definitely picked the right year to have a career year.

But maybe .. just maybe ... there's some slim hope he'd want to come home for say 8.75m x 7 years? 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I know nobody links him to the canucks but if he by any chance wants to return to Vancouver and is willing to take a home-town discount contract i'd love to bring him in.

But there are red flags with him. he's only been a PPG player twice in his career and this year he had a 24.3% shooting percentange.

realistically he's more of a 35-40G, 70-80PT player.

But he is only 28 which is around the same time JT Miller's game elevated

it's a tough one, does a team offer him 10+ million based on one great season, and many other very good seasons? He definitely picked the right year to have a career year.

But maybe .. just maybe ... there's some slim hope he'd want to come home for say 8.75m x 7 years? 

8???? bro. He's getting Eichel money.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I do. If we're going to get the most out of Petey, he needs a true top line winger. 

I know, 11.5 he should do it on his own, etc etc but if you look at the top C's in the league, they all have that kind of wing man. 

We'd have two very legit top lines paired around Miller-Boeser, Guentzel-Petey, and Tocc can teach the kids in the bottom 6 how to grind out games. 

Curious is there a stat that shows EP production with BB on his wing during 5v5 (without JTM) IN 2024?

I'm more concerned about paying D than bottom 6 myself, wins start with D and from Goalie out  (Hello TML)

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Msrchessault 

7.5 mill x 3 yrs ?

Marsh is like the only other target I like of the "realistic" guys available (no Stamkos, Reinhart, Lindholm apparently). Guentzel at 7 x $9 +/- or Marsh at 3 x $7.5 +/-.

The rest of the guys I feel like are pretty lateral from what we already have, or have developing and I think we'd get more bang for our $ spending that cash on Pesce/Tanev/Miller/Carrier etc

• Cheers 1

We need a dynamic shooter on peteys wing but this guentzel push is turning into a shark tank i see an overpayment coming by at least 1.5-2mill just because hes there 🤷‍♂️ tbh im more concerned with locking up another 2-3 solid D men also all this cap is looking like its gonna flush out real quick unless we can ship out mik real interesting summer 

Edited by TopCheese

Honestly, I think we should be looking at picking up pieces from all the teams trying to clear cap rather than try to go all in for Guentzel.  I don’t know that he is the perfect fit anyways.

A couple $5 million wingers probably does us better than a $9 million Guentzel and a $1 million bargain bin forward for the same money.  

Spend our money of defence and some solid forward depth.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Honestly, I think we should be looking at picking up pieces from all the teams trying to clear cap rather than try to go all in for Guentzel.  I don’t know that he is the perfect fit anyways.

A couple $5 million wingers probably does us better than a $9 million Guentzel and a $1 million bargain bin forward for the same money.  

Spend our money of defence and some solid forward depth.

It's certainly not a bad angle to explore for teams tight to the cap.

VGK - Karlsson/Roy at F, Theodore/Whitecloud/Hague on D

TBL - Cirelli or Cernak

OTT- Chychrun or Zub

This fixation on Guentzel reminds me of 2020 and Benning fixated on landing OEL, failing and not signing Tanev and Toffoli.

I'd really like to think that Allvin is smarter than Benning.

I agree with Provost.  Would rather sign a couple of gettable $5M wingers than get in a bidding war for a big fish that could go $10M+.  This, after refusing Lindholm $8M+ (amount undisclosed)