[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

51 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

That would be okay… he’s faster than 97.5% of the league according to some analytics I saw a while ago. That number stuck with me for some reason… because that would put him in the top 10-20 players in the whole league. 

Would love Necas, but he's going to cost quite a bit to acquire. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, that kind of comes with the territory of being a professional hockey player in Canada. Not exclusive to just Vancouver. 

sure, I didn't say it was exclusive to vancouver. but a hockey player with those sentiments sure as hell wouldn't want to be in vancouver. 

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

literally nothing carolina would want from the canucks for necas that can help them win

Doesn't sound like they are looking for anything in terms of 'win now' assets.  What I recall, they are actually wanting picks and prospects for Necas.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doesn't sound like they are looking for anything in terms of 'win now' assets.  What I recall, they are actually wanting picks and prospects for Necas.

Yeah, and Jersey supposedly has their pick on the table. Carolina doesn't seem to want to take significant cap back in a Necas trade, if they can they'll probably give that to Guentzel. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, and Jersey supposedly has their pick on the table. Carolina doesn't seem to want to take significant cap back in a Necas trade, if they can they'll probably give that to Guentzel. 

I've put it out there in another thread... but I'd be willing to move Lekkerimaki in a Necas trade.  Lek is probably 2 or 3 years from making an impact.  Necas is only 25yo and can make an impact now.  He's the same age group as Petey/Hughes... means he will probably peak around the same time as them.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I've put it out there in another thread... but I'd be willing to move Lekkerimaki in a Necas trade.  Lek is probably 2 or 3 years from making an impact.  Necas is only 25yo and can make an impact now.  He's the same age group as Petey/Hughes... means he will probably peak around the same time as them.

I’d rather go the UFA route as it won’t cost Canucks assets.  Eventually the Canucks will need young cheap ELC to fill out the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It really depends, I think Carolina could get a better prospect than Lekkermaki with the 10OA. 

Bob McKenzie has 5 different D going before the 10OA for example, which would leave Carolina with the 6th best forward prospect, theoretically. 

I like Lekkerimaki as a prospect but there will likely be better prospects available at 10 imo.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/tsn-bob-mckenzie

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It really depends, I think Carolina could get a better prospect than Lekkermaki with the 10OA. 

Bob McKenzie has 5 different D going before the 10OA for example, which would leave Carolina with the 6th best forward prospect, theoretically. 

I like Lekkerimaki as a prospect but there will likely be better prospects available at 10 imo.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/tsn-bob-mckenzie

I'm not totally convinced of that...

Button had Lekkerimaki as the 10th highest NHL affiliated prospect in the entire NHL:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/cutter-gauthier-alexander-nikishin-lead-craig-button-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-list-1.2079455

We're talking 10th among ALL NHL affiliated prospects.  Not just a single draft year. 

When we're talking 6th best forward prospect this draft, the list includes guys like:

Sennecke

Catton

Eiserman

Connely

I wouldn't put any of those guys above Lekkerimaki.

• Cheers 2

I'm not totally convinced of that...

Button had Lekkerimaki as the 10th highest NHL affiliated prospect in the entire NHL:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/cutter-gauthier-alexander-nikishin-lead-craig-button-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-list-1.2079455

We're talking 10th among ALL NHL affiliated prospects.  Not just a single draft year. 

When we're talking 6th best forward prospect this draft, the list includes guys like:

Sennecke

Catton

Eiserman

Connely

I wouldn't put any of those guys above Lekkerimaki.

I suppose it matters whether Carolina would or not then

The other wrinkle is supposedly Buffalo's in on him too, and they have the 11th pick, which means they'd have to add 

I suppose it matters whether Carolina would or not then

The other wrinkle is supposedly Buffalo's in on him too, and they have the 11th pick, which means they'd have to add 

It'll be interesting.  I don't think we're in on Necas anymore, but it'll be interesting where he lands and how he performs moving forward.  I feel like he's a Nichushkin type player in the making.  Close to PPG in the future.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It'll be interesting.  I don't think we're in on Necas anymore, but it'll be interesting where he lands and how he performs moving forward.  I feel like he's a Nichushkin type player in the making.  Close to PPG in the future.

Well, maybe if Jersey lands him they'd ship us Marino, particularly if they do actually want to fit Pesce in somehow

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Well, maybe if Jersey lands him they'd ship us Marino, particularly if they do actually want to fit Pesce in somehow

That'd be great!  Marino is such amazing value for the cap hit.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Marino (this pair would be fantastic for shut down duties)

• ThereItIs 1

That'd be great!  Marino is such amazing value for the cap hit.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Marino (this pair would be fantastic for shut down duties)

They've got like 15M in cap space but I'm not sure whether that includes Hamilton on the IR or not 

Thing is, they have Hamilton, Marino, and Nemec down the right side, where's Pesce fit? 

They've also gotta pay Mercer and fill out ther lineup 

Hughes is a pending RFA after this coming season too so they'll have to keep some space open 

I do think Marino could shake loose, what it'd cost is anyone's guess though

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

They've got like 15M in cap space but I'm not sure whether that includes Hamilton on the IR or not 

Thing is, they have Hamilton, Marino, and Nemec down the right side, where's Pesce fit? 

They've also gotta pay Mercer and fill out ther lineup 

Hughes is a pending RFA after this coming season too so they'll have to keep some space open 

Nemec is still apparently part of their trade bait package that they expect to move out in landing a bigger fish. Hence the interest in Pesce or so I’ve heard. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Nemec is still apparently part of their trade bait package that they expect to move out in landing a bigger fish. Hence the interest in Pesce or so I’ve heard. 

Huh, that's surprising

20 year-old, 2OA RD 

That's something Carolina should absolutely be asking for given their right side I suppose

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Huh, that's surprising

20 year-old, 2OA RD 

That's something Carolina should absolutely be asking for given their right side I suppose

Probably holding out for the absolute best deal and waiting to see what teams do to clear space/roster obligations first, not to mention draft “floor” possibilities.  Still a bit of time before shit hits the fan 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

yep with all this newfound cap space, we are primed to grab up a guy like Marino on a bargain. 

Maybe, I do think something could shake loose for less than market value if we're patient 

With the Markstrom acquisition and the other rumours around them Jersey seems primed to be chasing deeper playoff runs sooner than later, maybe Marino isn't on the table 

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That's a LOT of money locked into their RHD if they move Nemec and bring in Pesce....

• Cheers 1

I still refuse to get on the Guentzel train, even after the Mikheyev trade. Might as well use the extra cap space on Lindholm. 

At most, Lindholm is worth the same amount of dollars as Guentzel, so might as well just use that cap space on Lindholm who fills a major positional hole on the Canucks roster - a right-handed centreman. Should also note that both players are the same age. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1

Not saying Guentzel will sign with us, but I feel like Carolina has had plenty of time to negotiate and claimed they're not far apart, which means they're not close. If I were Guentzel I would want to go to market and see what's out there knowing there'll be many interested team, unless Carolina offers something he cannot refuse.

I'm having a bit of a hard time fitting Guentzel into our lineup without a serious sacrifice somewhere in the D core.  Perhaps if we land Marino, then it'd make some sense.  Would mean Zadorov is gone though.  We would be pretty tight on cap if we added a $9M Guentzel and a $5M+ defenceman.