[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm having a bit of a hard time fitting Guentzel into our lineup without a serious sacrifice somewhere in the D core.  Perhaps if we land Marino, then it'd make some sense.  Would mean Zadorov is gone though.  We would be pretty tight on cap if we added a $9M Guentzel and a $5M+ defenceman.

I think the news that Myers might not be back is the wrinkle, because if they're not bringing him back it probably means they're looking to upgrade their right side, which probably means grabbing another top 4RD

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Doesn't sound like they are looking for anything in terms of 'win now' assets.  What I recall, they are actually wanting picks and prospects for Necas.

we will see even prospect wise what do we have that would even remotely interested them? lekkerimaki and willander is untouchable.. and we don't have any 2nds for a while.. unless we are looking to move our 1st.. i don't think the raty karlsson etc would move the needle in a trade.. there's prolly 30 other team that can easily beat the deal

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think the news that Myers might not be back is the wrinkle, because if they're not bringing him back it probably means they're looking to upgrade their right side, which probably means grabbing another top 4RD

Which I would prefer.  I think having a top 4 of Hughes-Hronek, Soucy-Top4RHD would be far better for our team moving forward.  RHD are notoriously hard to acquire, this UFA season has an unusually large number of them.  We really should take advantage.

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

we will see even prospect wise what do we have that would even remotely interested them? lekkerimaki and willander is untouchable.. and we don't have any 2nds for a while.. unless we are looking to move our 1st.. i don't think the raty karlsson etc would move the needle in a trade.. there's prolly 30 other team that can easily beat the deal

Lekkerimaki would be the guy.  We basically want Lek to turn into a Necas type player anyways.  Necas is only 25yo.  Perfect age to grow with this core into their prime. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Which I would prefer.  I think having a top 4 of Hughes-Hronek, Soucy-Top4RHD would be far better for our team moving forward.  RHD are notoriously hard to acquire, this UFA season has an unusually large number of them.  We really should take advantage.

I like Myers, but yeah, if you can clearly upgrade your top 4 you gotta go for it 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lekkerimaki would be the guy.  We basically want Lek to turn into a Necas type player anyways.  Necas is only 25yo.  Perfect age to grow with this core into their prime. 

Ya I’m hesitant on that I rather they go fish guentzel and we also have a lekkerimaki on elc for years while we navigate the OEL 2 years imo

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe JR got word from his old organization that it seems likely that Guentzel would be back and he went ahead and decided to re-sign Joshua.  

Lot of teams have been linked to Guentzel

Us, Carolina, Detroit, the Rangers, Dallas, and so on 

I think management has accepted that they're probably better off fleshing out their roster instead of hoping the big fish comes to them

There will be good players available, maybe we'll be looking to scoop up some higher end talent while others focus on Guentzel

All they really have to do is just get themselves a legit second liner and they've upgraded on Mikheyev

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Lot of teams have been linked to Guentzel

Us, Carolina, Detroit, the Rangers, Dallas, and so on 

I think management has accepted that they're probably better off fleshing out their roster instead of hoping the big fish comes to them

There will be good players available, maybe we'll be looking to scoop up some higher end talent while others focus on Guentzel

All they really have to do is just get themselves a legit second liner and they've upgraded on Mikheyev

The problem i have if we don’t end up with a massive upgrade up front.. are we any better than last year when we lost? The team is essentially the same swap out Lindholm and swap in whoever. Sure we were close.. but close doesn’t cut it. Coz teams around will be looking to make improvement. 

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The problem i have if we don’t end up with a massive upgrade up front.. are we any better than last year when we lost? The team is essentially the same swap out Lindholm and swap in whoever. Sure we were close.. but close doesn’t cut it. Coz teams around will be looking to make improvement. 

Counter question, is it realistic to expect us to be better than we were last season? We won the division, were one of the better teams offensively and defensively, and surprised many. 

Is maintaining what we were, or even regressing a bit, really the end of the world? A team can only do so much any given offseason because of cap constraints. 

If we can bolster our D and get a legit second liner for Pettersson I'd call that a win. Maybe things turn over further next offseason. 

I was saying before the season ended that I wouldn't be surprised by some regression next season, maybe that looks like a second or third divisional seed, maybe it's the first wildcard spot. Regression doesn't have to mean we miss the playoffs. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

Counter question, is it realistic to expect us to be better than we were last season? We won the division, were one of the better teams offensively and defensively, and surprised many. 

Is maintaining what we were, or even regressing a bit, really the end of the world? A team can only do so much any given offseason because of cap constraints. 

If we can bolster our D and get a legit second liner for Pettersson I'd call that a win. Maybe things turn over further next offseason. 

Accomplishment wise no but team wise yes. I think ppl are too hung up on how good our record is and think we are better than we are. A lot of things went right for us last season kinda like how New Jersey was the previous season. 

8 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

We have 17.5 in cap space with Dak signed 

I have a hard time seeing us signing Zads above 5

so here we go :

Zads 4.75

JG 9

silovs .9

Duhaime 1.1

To NJD 

Podz

Raty 

To VAN

Marino 

cap change 3.4 

Marino is not worth a 10OA pick and Raty, both of whom are developing quite well and are positional needs of ours in a year or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Accomplishment wise no but team wise yes. I think ppl are too hung up on how good our record is and think we are better than we are. A lot of things went right for us last season kinda like how New Jersey was the previous season. 

Maybe, there may be something to that, several guys hit career highs. 

Miller broke 100 and put up 37 goals, he set career highs across the board. Brock broke 30 and hit 40, and put up a career high points total. Hughes broke his career high in goals, assists, and points. Hronek put up a career high in points. Joshua also set career highs. Hoglander put up a career high in both goals and points. Demko was largely healthier and played Vezina caliber hockey. As far as injuries went, for the most part our top guys went unscathed. 

All things considered, regression isn't outlandish at all, having that many guys hit career highs at once is pretty special. 

Some of the regression could be offset, but maybe not all of it. Maybe Hoglander finds another gear, maybe Pettersson gets back to 22-23 totals, maybe Boeser doesn't hit 40 but he does break 30. Maybe Podz finally steps up. Maybe upgrading on Mikheyev with a guy who can put up 45-60 points helps. Maybe adding another top 4RD helps. 

Maybe some guys maintain these new levels of production, hard to say. Maybe we don't regress at all, but I think we will.

Realistically I don't expect us to be better than we were this season next season, but I do think we could still be a playoff team. 

Edited by Coconuts

22 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

We have 17.5 in cap space with Dak signed 

I have a hard time seeing us signing Zads above 5

so here we go :

Zads 4.75

JG 9

silovs .9

Duhaime 1.1

To NJD 

Podz

Raty 

To VAN

Marino 

cap change 3.4 

Zadorov should never be above 5million. It's just fans running on adrenaline high handing out contracts that will later take 2nd rounders to capdump. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, there may be something to that, several guys hit career highs. 

Miller broke 100 and put up 37 goals, he set career highs across the board. Brock broke 30 and hit 40, and put up a career high points total. Hughes broke his career high in goals, assists, and points. Hronek put up a career high in points. Joshua also set career highs. Hoglander put up a career high in both goals and points. Demko was largely healthier and played Vezina caliber hockey. As far as injuries went, for the most part our top guys went unscathed. 

All things considered, regression isn't outlandish at all, having that many guys hit career highs at once is pretty special. 

Some of the regression could be offset, but maybe not all of it. Maybe Hoglander finds another gear, maybe Pettersson gets back to 22-23 totals, maybe Boeser doesn't hit 40 but he does break 30. Maybe Podz finally steps up. Maybe upgrading on Mikheyev with a guy who can put up 45-60 points helps. Maybe adding another top 4RD helps. 

Maybe some guys maintain these new levels of production, hard to say. Maybe we don't regress at all, but I think we will.

Realistically I don't expect us to be better than we were this season next season, but I do think we could still be a playoff team. 

Well said. I also fully expect some regression overall. That said, to me that's the biggest reason to bring in a guy like Guentzel. Upgrading guy like Mikheyev and Lafferty will only help to overcome that regression.

The 2 guys I don't expect the regression from are Hughes and Petey. In fact, with the addition of a legit top 6 winger, I honestly expect Petey to get back to a 100 point player.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Pesce?

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

Take another run an Lindy with the cap?

Guentzel would be awesome.

Toffoli would be good.

Im really curious why we wouldn’t take a run at Reinhardt if he ends up hitting the market… especially if JG is signed. 

2 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Well said. I also fully expect some regression overall. That said, to me that's the biggest reason to bring in a guy like Guentzel. Upgrading guy like Mikheyev and Lafferty will only help to overcome that regression.

The 2 guys I don't expect the regression from are Hughes and Petey. In fact, with the addition of a legit top 6 winger, I honestly expect Petey to get back to a 100 point player.

We might see some ‘regression’ production wise, but i think this team will be more battle hardened which counts for something… especially come playoffs. 

1 minute ago, zduck14 said:

That's one way to look at it, I'd argue that if they improve on Myers by going out and getting themselves another top 4RD that'd mitigate some of any loss of offense

If they can bring in a legitimate second liner who can put up 45-60 points than that also helps offset things

Given the cap constraints they're also going to need guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin to step it up

I just don't think Guentzel is going to get to UFA, I understand why folks want him but I really do think Carolina finds a way to get it done