[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's one way to look at it, I'd argue that if they improve on Myers by going out and getting themselves another top 4RD that'd mitigate some of any loss of offense

If they can bring in a legitimate second liner who can put up 45-60 points than that also helps offset things

Given the cap constraints they're also going to need guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin to step it up

I just don't think Guentzel is going to get to UFA, I understand why folks want him but I really do think Carolina finds a way to get it done

The best part is that whether it's Guentzel, Reinhart, Toffoli, or just Podkolzin, it will still be an upgrade on Mikheyev....

I do agree that Guentzel is unlikely to make it to July 1st. If Reinhart is there he'd be just as good an option but I feel like he'll re-sign before making it to free agency as well. Either one would be an amazing addition to Petey's line though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

The best part is that whether it's Guentzel, Reinhart, Toffoli, or just Podkolzin, it will still be an upgrade on Mikheyev....

I do agree that Guentzel is unlikely to make it to July 1st. If Reinhart is there he'd be just as good an option but I feel like he'll re-sign before making it to free agency as well. Either one would be an amazing addition to Petey's line though.

Yeah, Reinhart would be a fascinating player to play with Pettersson, but at this point it'd be shocking if Florida doesn't retain him somehow. 

They rolled the dice on him performing well and nabbed him from Buffalo, now, he's a cup champion and a premier piece of their offense. Hard to think of a better fit for him now that he's won the cup with them. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just reporting; Not a giant fan of bringing in Chris, unless it's a figure starting with a three.

4.0 is fine for me to bring Dad home. Guys a warrior and brings so much to the room.

JG is my preferred get this offseason, I think a JG-Petey pair would be a nightmare for teams to handle. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

4.0 is fine for me to bring Dad home. Guys a warrior and brings so much to the room.

JG is my preferred get this offseason, I think a JG-Petey pair would be a nightmare for teams to handle. 

You may just get your wish, Long Bob! Could we see a potential Zaddy-Daddy D pairing this season at some point?

Still need a name for the 3rd F line.

Edited by RWJC
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

we ain't looking at it as an upgrade on mikheyev we are looking at it as an upgrade on lindholm. outside of guentzel and reinhart the rest are not an upgrade on lindholm. as a toffoli is slow.. he maybe decent at production but he doesn't move the needle. if all we got out of moving mikheyev and losing lindholm is running it back with the exact same group + a toffoli or similar player? i see that as team gotten worse.. i'd love to see a high end player come in because that would replace lindholm and help off set some of the regression that's almost guaranteed coming from some players like boeser or miller. boeser scored 10 goals since the all star break compared to 30 prior he was great in the playoff but really only scored in 4 of the 12 games.. if that trend continues? we might see him fall back to 25-30 goals.. will miller hit 100 again? no idea.. but if that powerplay doesn't get going then prolly not.. a high end player will help off set the regressions from some players

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

We might see some ‘regression’ production wise, but i think this team will be more battle hardened which counts for something… especially come playoffs. 

Also the fact that we will have another full season of Tocchet & Co and some line consistency/chemistry rather than an entirely new team like previous years. Hard to build chemistry when the whole team changes so much. We could be even better than last year. 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we ain't looking at it as an upgrade on mikheyev we are looking at it as an upgrade on lindholm. outside of guentzel and reinhart the rest are not an upgrade on lindholm. as a toffoli is slow.. he maybe decent at production but he doesn't move the needle. if all we got out of moving mikheyev and losing lindholm is running it back with the exact same group + a toffoli or similar player? i see that as team gotten worse.. i'd love to see a high end player come in because that would replace lindholm and help off set some of the regression that's almost guaranteed coming from some players like boeser or miller. boeser scored 10 goals since the all star break compared to 30 prior he was great in the playoff but really only scored in 4 of the 12 games.. if that trend continues? we might see him fall back to 25-30 goals.. will miller hit 100 again? no idea.. but if that powerplay doesn't get going then prolly not.. a high end player will help off set the regressions from some players

Lindholm is obviously a better player than Blueger but Bluegers chemistry with Garland and Joshua means that the 3rd line is still set. In fact, Lindholm really wasn't that much of an upgrade over Blueger on that line in the regular season. Definitely not enough to make 6+ million more than Teddy...

Lindholm rarely played with Petey. Mikheyev did and was absolutely awful. So yes, it's Mikheyev that needs to be replaced in the top 6. Doing so with any of the options out there will be an upgrade and should help Petey get back to 100 points. That should help to offset most of the expected regression by other players.

realistically I think we are looking at a 65 Million Total Money contract

9.3M over 7 years

And if we could get his rights and sign that 8th year we could do: $8.125M over 8 Years

that extra money would help out a lot and give us $5ish million to resign Zadorov or sign Dillon + a guy like Hakanpaa

1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

Lindholm is obviously a better player than Blueger but Bluegers chemistry with Garland and Joshua means that the 3rd line is still set. In fact, Lindholm really wasn't that much of an upgrade over Blueger on that line in the regular season. Definitely not enough to make 6+ million more than Teddy...

Lindholm rarely played with Petey. Mikheyev did and was absolutely awful. So yes, it's Mikheyev that needs to be replaced in the top 6. Doing so with any of the options out there will be an upgrade and should help Petey get back to 100 points. That should help to offset most of the expected regression by other players.

so you are basically discounting everything lindholm actually done in the playoff and bluegar will offset most of the departure of lindholm because of chemistry? bluegar will not replicate even 50% of what lindholm brought in the playoff which is fine if you are upgrading elsewhere.. hell any of the top 6 option out there outside of JG or reinhart ain't even remotely close to the offensive talent of kuzmenko and you just assume they'll get EP back to 100 points? EP needs a playmaker that can shoot if needed, none of those options out there looks like a playmaker.. toffoli? debrusk? all of them barely touch 20 assist.. add in hoglander and his 12 assist.. EP struggled to score down the stretch.. or ever since kuzmenko is gone.. there's simply no one he played with that was remotely capable of setting him up for a shot.. if he aint' doing it by himself deking thru the entire team.. he ain't scoring outside of the pp.. 

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are basically discounting everything lindholm actually done in the playoff and bluegar will offset most of the departure of lindholm because of chemistry? bluegar will not replicate even 50% of what lindholm brought in the playoff which is fine if you are upgrading elsewhere.. hell any of the top 6 option out there outside of JG or reinhart ain't even remotely close to the offensive talent of kuzmenko and you just assume they'll get EP back to 100 points? EP needs a playmaker that can shoot if needed, none of those options out there looks like a playmaker.. toffoli? debrusk? all of them barely touch 20 assist.. add in hoglander and his 12 assist.. EP struggled to score down the stretch.. or ever since kuzmenko is gone.. there's simply no one he played with that was remotely capable of setting him up for a shot.. if he aint' doing it by himself deking thru the entire team.. he ain't scoring outside of the pp.. 

I'm not sure what your argument is here.... I'm not discounting Lindholms playoffs but I specifically said Blueger is fine for the regular season and that the upgrade needs to come elsewhere. The third line is strong enough that I'm perfectly fine with it as is for a long playoff run. It would be nice to get Lindholm back but in my opinion he's an 8 million dollar luxury that is better used on a winger for Petey since we've seen first hand that they don't work well enough together.

Kuzmenko was brutal in the defensive zone. That's why he was a healthy scratch so often. Trading him did hurt Petey's offense because it left him with Mikheyev who is terrible and shouldn't be near the top 6 and an inconsistent young Hoglander who is still a question mark. it wasnt just Petey's goals that dried up but assists too. The number of grade a chances that Mikheyev screwed up was staggering. Sure Toffoli isn't a great playmaker but you can't argue he wouldn't be an upgrade over Mikheyev. 

Petey had 89 points in an "off" year. Only 11 away from 100. Give him a couple legit top 6 linemates and he'll get back there.

6 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I'm not sure what your argument is here.... I'm not discounting Lindholms playoffs but I specifically said Blueger is fine for the regular season and that the upgrade needs to come elsewhere. The third line is strong enough that I'm perfectly fine with it as is for a long playoff run. It would be nice to get Lindholm back but in my opinion he's an 8 million dollar luxury that is better used on a winger for Petey since we've seen first hand that they don't work well enough together.

Kuzmenko was brutal in the defensive zone. That's why he was a healthy scratch so often. Trading him did hurt Petey's offense because it left him with Mikheyev who is terrible and shouldn't be near the top 6 and an inconsistent young Hoglander who is still a question mark. it wasnt just Petey's goals that dried up but assists too. The number of grade a chances that Mikheyev screwed up was staggering. Sure Toffoli isn't a great playmaker but you can't argue he wouldn't be an upgrade over Mikheyev. 

Petey had 89 points in an "off" year. Only 11 away from 100. Give him a couple legit top 6 linemates and he'll get back there.

EP number dried up because he lost the playmaker that can take focus off him. with kuzmenko they have to respect kuzmenko shot and can't cheat to double up on EP.. and kuzmenko can actually get the puck to EP for a shot.. without kuzmenko there's no one remotely capable of even setting EP up 5v5 hence he's either doing it all on his own or not doing it at all.. teams are cheating to cover EP because they are not even worried about the other guy on the line coz they know they can't get the puck to EP. so once again EP will never be a 100point guy is there isn't a guy that can set him up for a shot.. how is he getting to 30+ goals if there's 0 playmakers on his line? teams will happily let whatever wingers on EP line to carry the puck coz they know they can't do anything with it and ain't gonna create a scoring chance on their own either

Edited by wai_lai416

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

EP number dried up because he lost the playmaker that can take focus off him. with kuzmenko they have to respect kuzmenko shot and can't cheat to double up on EP.. and kuzmenko can actually get the puck to EP for a shot.. without kuzmenko there's no one remotely capable of even setting EP up 5v5 hence he's either doing it all on his own or not doing it at all.. teams are cheating to cover EP because they are not even worried about the other guy on the line coz they know they can't get the puck to EP. so once again EP will never be a 100point guy is there isn't a guy that can set him up for a shot.. how is he getting to 30+ goals if there's 0 playmakers on his line?

I agree and this is the main reason I'm all for signing Guentzel. Give him over 9m if we have to. It's not just about what Guentzel brings to the team himself but also how much better he would make Petey.

If signing Guentzel doesn't get done though, Reinhart and Chandler Stephenson would be my plan b and c.

What I'm saying though is that, despite their low assist totals, Toffoli and others would still be a massive upgrade over Mikheyev. 

For what it's worth, Toffoli is far from a terrible setup guy. He had 20g-29a in 21-22 and 34g-39a in 22-23.

Just now, zduck14 said:

I agree and this is the main reason I'm all for signing Guentzel. Give him over 9m if we have to. It's not just about what Guentzel brings to the team himself but also how much better he would make Petey.

If signing Guentzel doesn't get done though, Reinhart and Chandler Stephenson would be my plan b and c.

What I'm saying though is that, despite their low assist totals, Toffoli and others would still be a massive upgrade over Mikheyev. 

For what it's worth, Toffoli is far from a terrible setup guy. He had 20g-29a in 21-22 and 34g-39a in 22-23.

sure they are massive upgrade over mik but i don't think they'll move the needle like a guentzel or reinhart will.. it'll more be like status quo at best IF they perform up to standard. i still think toffoli is too ineffective and 1 dimensional because he is really SLOW