[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

I hope Guentzel gets re-signed by Carolina at this point...Still think he's a great player and probably the best option (for now).

Just feel he's gonna cost us to much money for FAR to long...not interested in boat anchor of a contract from age 34/35 on. JMO 

Tanev till he's 38?

Guentzel till he's 38?

Miller till he's 37?

Myers until he's 37?

Anyone else see a potential problem? 

If Guentzel is off the table we can concentrate on plan B, C or D  and getting others signed.  

Sorry, Rant Over. LOL  

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I hope Guentzel gets re-signed by Carolina at this point...Still think he's a great player and probably the best option (for now).

Just feel he's gonna cost us to much money for FAR to long...not interested in boat anchor of a contract from age 34/35 on. JMO 

Tanev till he's 38?

Guentzel till he's 38?

Miller till he's 37?

Myers until he's 37?

If Guentzel is off the table we can concentrate on plan B, C or D  and getting others signed.  

Sorry, Rant Over. LOL  

Basically agree, though the change in color alone would be an improvement;

1888525922.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=56

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Tanev till he's 38?

Guentzel till he's 38?

Miller till he's 37?

Myers until he's 37?

Sorry, Rant Over. LOL  

Definitely an aging core for sure. 

But I think management probably has to sell some of those players off before, or we ride with them until their contracts are done and over with. By that point, it's a full on rebuild all over again. Who knows if Hughes and Petey will want to go through another one of those again. Might have to sell those guys off and start with a completely clean slate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

$3.5m x 4 lock it in. 

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of having Tanev until his late thirties, as well as Guentzel. 

One of them until their late 30's? Sure. But not two of them. Tanev also worries me. He's a warrior, but that's what concerns me. His style of play isn't going to change as he's getting older. And injuries will probably be more common as Tanev gets older as well. I'd rather not. I'd rather go after Matt Roy who's a RHD, he's 29, so he's much younger than Tanev is. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Definitely an aging core for sure. 

But I think management probably has to sell some of those players off before, or we ride with them until their contracts are done and over with. By that point, it's a full on rebuild all over again. Who knows if Hughes and Petey will want to go through another one of those again. Might have to sell those guys off and start with a completely clean slate. 

The problem (I see) with doing that is we'll want to hold onto them while they're productive and our competitive window is open. 

That means Tanev & Myers 1-2 years & Miller & Guentzel 4ish years. How do we trade those players when they're 34-36 years old and have 2-4 years left on their contracts. Boeser is a UFA this time next year....he'll be 28 and might be looking for a raise and 8 year contract as well. 

Petey's & Hronek's 8 year contracts are fine IMO as it will take him to 33/34.   

I'm sort of leaning towards signing 2 good mid level players ($4-$5 million) to short term contracts (1-3 years) that are 29-31 years old.

Maybe there's a couple that want a chance to play for a contender with a legitimate chance to win a cup before their careers wind down?

Much easier to move on from a 1-3 year contract at a reasonable CAP if it doesn't work out, than trying to move a $8.5 -$9.5 million contract that 

has 3-4 years left on it.

The mid level players will all have some sort of flaws, some won't be physical, some won't have enough speed BUT... elite talent has flaws to.

Mid level guys like: Tyler Toffoli, Patrick Kane, Monahan, Teravainen, Chandler Stephenson, Tarasenko, Duclair, Arvidsson and so on       

Edited by Blitz-Pix

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

The problem (I see) with doing that is we'll want to hold onto them while they're productive and our competitive window is open. 

That means Tanev & Myers 1-2 years & Miller & Guentzel 4ish years. How do we trade those players when they're 34-36 years old and have 2-4 years left on their contracts. Boeser is a UFA this time next year....he'll be 28 and might be looking for a raise and 8 year contract as well. 

Petey's & Hronek's 8 year contracts are fine IMO as it will take him to 33/34.   

I'm sort of leaning towards signing 2 good mid level players ($4-$5 million) to short term contracts (1-3 years) that are 29-31 years old.

Maybe there's a couple that want a chance to play for a contender with a legitimate chance to win a cup before their careers wind down?

Much easier to move on from a 1-3 year contract at a reasonable CAP if it doesn't work out, than trying to move a $8.5 -$9.5 million contract that 

has 3-4 years left on it.

The mid level players will all have some sort of flaws, some won't be physical, some won't have enough speed BUT... elite talent has flaws to.

Mid level guys like: Tyler Toffoli, Patrick Kane, Monahan, Teravainen, Chandler Stephenson, Tarasenko, Duclair, Arvidsson and so on       

I hear ya. 

I think the thing with mid-level players is that they're not elite. So they can have cold streaks more often. I agree that elite talent has flaws as well, but they also have aspects to their game that some of the mid-level guys don't have. I'd be open to signing a player like Toffoli because he's smart on the ice, even if he's not fast, but how does he hold up in the Western Conference over the course of the year? He's 32. Cole needed some time to "rest" during the year because his play fell off the map because he was so tired. Could that be the case for a player like Toffoli as well? Teravainen, from what I hear, is soft and isn't physical at all - that's probably not the kind of player we want. 

I'd be open to Stephenson and Duclair, but only if they come cheaper. UFA is a crazy time, which is why it's said before that you can't build a team through free agency. We'll see what happens. But if the rumours are true (according to Friedman) that most teams believe that Guentzel is most likely going to resign with the Canes, then Allvin will have to pivot, and move towards plan B. 

Maybe plan B includes Toffoli, Stephenson, Duclair, etc.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not anymore after spending $3m on Myers. We could have before.

These are interesting days for sure. 

My question is, is the team better with an addition of an elite talent like Guentzel and then cheap players filling out the rest of the roster, or are we better by adding 2 mid-level players (Toffoli and Stephenson, for example) to the roster? In my mind, we don't have enough elite talent in the top six. More is better right? At a reasonable price of course. 

So barring a surprising trade of some sort (not sure who), Guentzel isn't happening... there's not enough cap to work with anymore after the signings of Joshua and Myers -- assuming we are looking for a legit top 4 defender (Zadorov, Roy, Pesce, etc).

It looks like the best course of action would be to bring in a decent top 6F in the $6M to $6.5M range, a top 4D (whether that's Zadorov or someone like Roy/Pesce), and upgrade our 4th line.

Stephenson would be a good acquisition at around $6M to $6.5M.

Let's say Zadorov comes back at $5M.

Stenlund for the 4th line?  $1.8M?

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Stephenson-Pettersson

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Stenlund-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

image.thumb.png.325706de4858af3629c5455ec704c438.png

With all that said... maybe the reason why we haven't heard a Zadorov deal is because management is waiting to see what they end up getting as a top 6F.  If they end up landing Guentzel, they'll go Plan B on defence, which is utilizing Soucy-Myers a bit more, and having a 3rd pair that may be something like Forbort-Juulsen.  If they don't land Guentzel and get a cheaper top 6F option instead, they circle back to Zadorov.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

These are interesting days for sure. 

My question is, is the team better with an addition of an elite talent like Guentzel and then cheap players filling out the rest of the roster, or are we better by adding 2 mid-level players (Toffoli and Stephenson, for example) to the roster? In my mind, we don't have enough elite talent in the top six. More is better right? At a reasonable price of course. 

Toffoli is too slow. 

Would you rather have one Pettersson or two Mikheyev's?

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the money all balanced which would you prefer? 

Suter Miller Boeser

Guentzel Pettersson Hoglander

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Juulsen 

Or

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Arviddson/Toffoli

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Tanev

Soucy Myers

The old adage is that defense wins championships 

Although honestly, I'd rather go after a younger RD than Tanev 

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

could this work? 

Would be really tight... unlikely to work.  I didn't even put Stenlund in as an upgrade...

Of course it all depends on what guys like Teravainen, Tanev, and Dillon cost.  I put Tanev close to DeMelo numbers.  Dillon at $3.75M, and Teravainen at $5.5M. 

Some people are saying Silovs would sign for $900k.  I'd be pretty surprised by that given his playoff run.  Might be why we're circling back to DeSmith.

image.thumb.png.e9e912493ed383584d36271d69de89af.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the money all balanced which would you prefer? 

Suter Miller Boeser

Guentzel Pettersson Hoglander

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Juulsen 

Or

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Arviddson/Toffoli

Hughes Hronek 

Zadorov Tanev

Soucy Myers

Can't afford the bottom configuration.  We're basically adding $5M+ for an Arvidsson/Toffoli (probably more than that TBH), $5Mish for Zadorov, and close to $5M for Tanev. 

TBH, unless Zadorov comes in under $5M, we probably can't do the top one either.  I'm guessing that if Guentzel comes here, we won't be bringing back Zadorov.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Can't afford the bottom configuration.  We're basically adding $5M+ for an Arvidsson/Toffoli (probably more than that TBH), $5Mish for Zadorov, and close to $5M for Tanev. 

TBH, unless Zadorov comes in under $5M, we probably can't do the top one either.  I'm guessing that if Guentzel comes here, we won't be bringing back Zadorov.

Zadorov would have to come in under 5.

I figure about 9mil for both Zadorov and Tanev in that scenario.

Which would leave 5 mil for a winger. Not necessarily those two, those are just examples.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So barring a surprising trade of some sort (not sure who), Guentzel isn't happening... there's not enough cap to work with anymore after the signings of Joshua and Myers -- assuming we are looking for a legit top 4 defender (Zadorov, Roy, Pesce, etc).

It looks like the best course of action would be to bring in a decent top 6F in the $6M to $6.5M range, a top 4D (whether that's Zadorov or someone like Roy/Pesce), and upgrade our 4th line.

Stephenson would be a good acquisition at around $6M to $6.5M.

Let's say Zadorov comes back at $5M.

Stenlund for the 4th line?  $1.8M?

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Stephenson-Pettersson

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Stenlund-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

image.thumb.png.325706de4858af3629c5455ec704c438.png

With all that said... maybe the reason why we haven't heard a Zadorov deal is because management is waiting to see what they end up getting as a top 6F.  If they end up landing Guentzel, they'll go Plan B on defence, which is utilizing Soucy-Myers a bit more, and having a 3rd pair that may be something like Forbort-Juulsen.  If they don't land Guentzel and get a cheaper top 6F option instead, they circle back to Zadorov.

I think plan A now is:

Geuentzel 9

Tanev 3.5 x 4 yrs 

or 

Guentzel 9

Dillon 3x3

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's Dreger, but he's saying Carolina's likely met Guentzel's ask 

Whether he accepts it or not, we'll see

Wouldn't be surprised.  Guentzel had a ton of success in the short stint with Carolina.  Why rock the boat with trying something new, when they are in win now mode and clearly the guy clicks with the current roster.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wouldn't be surprised.  Guentzel had a ton of success in the short stint with Carolina.  Why rock the boat with trying something new, when they are in win now mode and clearly the guy clicks with the current roster.

As I've been saying (and you too), I'm pretty sure Carolina gets this to the finish line

• Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Zadorov would have to come in under 5.

I figure about 9mil for both Zadorov and Tanev in that scenario.

Which would leave 5 mil for a winger. Not necessarily those two, those are just examples.

I have Tanev close to DeMelo's cost.  maybe a tad under... so $4.75M?

Zadorov won't be less than $4.75M too.  That's $9.5M between Zadorov and Tanev.

The forward would have to be about $4Mish.  Debrusk might be close to that number.  Would be REALLY tight though once you fill out the roster to be a 22 man roster.

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I think plan A now is:

Geuentzel 9

Tanev 3.5 x 4 yrs 

or 

Guentzel 9

Dillon 3x3

Tanev is gonna be close to DeMelo's number.  He won't be under $4M.

Dillon is probably between $3.5M to $4M unless the market is truly $3M for a Myers type defenceman (I think Myers gave us a solid discount from his market value).