[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

I like the chances of Guentzel signing here. 

I predict Guentzel signs and Hronek Zad Myers Blueger come back.

Walking are Lindholm and Joshua because of price/value.

Still a little money left maybe if can move Mik in a 3 way for a sweetener or two..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

I like the chances of Guentzel signing here. 

I predict Guentzel signs and Hronek Zad Myers Blueger come back.

Walking are Lindholm and Joshua because of price/value.

Still a little money left maybe if can move Mik in a 3 way for a sweetener or two..

Yup.

or we trade Hronek + Garland for Adam Larsen + Shane Wright. Then we use the cap dollars saved to sign Guentzel and Blueger. 
Petey, Guentzel

Miller, Boeser

Wright, Hogs

Blueger, Pods 

IMHAO that’s an excellent four pairs. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think if they were to sign Guentzel for big money, they wouldn't have enough left over for Boeser's next deal a year from now. Boeser would be looking at a significant raise from $6.65M AAV. If they somehow managed to keep all of Miller, Petey, Brock, Quinn and add Guentzel, this team would begin to look like the bloated salary structure of the Maple Leafs. And that's not working that well for Toronto.

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Trading for Guentzel's rights doesn't mean the team is guaranteed to sign him. Why would the Canucks waste a pick, Guentzel wants to play in VAN anyway. 

You could offer him eight years instead of seven, no? Could mean you keep the cap down, but also might help encourage him to sign after we show him how much we want him. It would probably only cost a 5th. 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You could offer him eight years instead of seven, no? Could mean you keep the cap down, but also might help encourage him to sign after we show him how much we want him. It would probably only cost a 5th. 

Yup.  But also means we would have him signed to 38yo instead of 37yo.  So there's that.

Although the thought of Guentzel on a 8 year x $7.875M AAV deal is pretty enticing (equivalent to $9M x 7 on the UFA market).  So maybe round to $8M x 8. 

But... 38yo though... yikes.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup.  But also means we would have him signed to 38yo instead of 37yo.  So there's that.

Although the thought of Guentzel on a 8 year x $7.875M AAV deal is pretty enticing (equivalent to $9M x 7 on the UFA market).  So maybe round to $8M x 8. 

That's definitely the risk of going for a cup in the next five years with JG and Miller aging. But we gotta go for it at some point.

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think if they were to sign Guentzel for big money, they wouldn't have enough left over for Boeser's next deal a year from now. Boeser would be looking at a significant raise from $6.65M AAV. If they somehow managed to keep all of Miller, Petey, Brock, Quinn and add Guentzel, this team would begin to look like the bloated salary structure of the Maple Leafs. And that's not working that well for Toronto.

I don’t think it would be quite as bloated as they were and the only reason it looked so so so so bad was because the flat cap.

if the cap rises as it should of it wouldn’t have been so brutal to team build around.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Best case scenario he was Joe pavelski down the stretch but ya the cap hit could age well tho with the cap rising potentially  and bringing that AAV down during our comp window is probably worth the age curve risk 

id hoenstly be open to it if it could get the deal below $9/ season 

If JG is as good as Mgmt seems to think he is, I can see some logic to it if they believe Boeser is the long-term top six wing for JT, and they are comfortable that they can find ELC top six and/or the "next DJ" types.

XX JT Boeser

JG EP XX

Want to see them secure the defense as I believe this mgmt team can find undervalued forwards.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If JG is as good as Mgmt seems to think he is, I can see some logic to it if they believe Boeser is the long-term top six wing for JT, and they are comfortable that they can find ELC top six and/or the "next DJ" types.

XX JT Boeser

JG EP XX

Want to see them secure the defense as I believe this mgmt team can find undervalued forwards.

JG is 29. Likely wants a min of 7 years. I question that. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We are a top six forward short. Geuntzel is a proven top six winger. He will cost us 9.5 x 7.  Move out Garland for cap. Allocate the savings to Geuntzel. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are a top six forward short. Geuntzel is a proven top six winger. He will cost us 9.5 x 7.  Move out Garland for cap. Allocate the savings to Geuntzel. 

Stop the garland hate Alf, he’s our best 5v5 player 

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know him enough to say how good he is or how long he'll stand up to the wear and tear...but the Canucks only have three more years of Hughes and two more years of Demko so I can see the logic if they feel he is a game changer.

I agree that it would be a big gamble to allocate that much to one guy who is smaller and 29 yoa.

15 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Stop the garland hate Alf, he’s our best 5v5 player 

Garland is a third line winger who doesn’t play PP or PK. His minutes could be replaced from within by Hogs. That saves us 4 mil. Rumours are we are trying to shed more cap. Garland’s name is often in talks on 650. IMHAO Garland is moved. 

On 6/12/2024 at 6:01 PM, Alflives said:

Yup.

or we trade Hronek + Garland for Adam Larsen + Shane Wright. Then we use the cap dollars saved to sign Guentzel and Blueger. 
Petey, Guentzel

Miller, Boeser

Wright, Hogs

Blueger, Pods 

IMHAO that’s an excellent four pairs. 

Seattle isn’t giving up Wright. He was called up and put up some good numbers, albeit in a small sample size of games. They need more offence and likely view him as part of the solution to that problem. Being young and on an ELC is also beneficial to them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

29!!!

A lot of years for good hockey in front of him.

Many people always scared about the future but the time is now.

So many things can happen in 4,5 or 6 years but now there is a chance to be a contender.

Edited by German Canuck
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

XX JT Boeser

JG EP XX

I do think Hoglander showed he can get it done too. He fizzled in the playoffs unfortunately but 19 goals mostly playing lower in the line up. Sucked when he moved up with Petey and Lindholm, Petey was cold too. They didn't do much. But I still have some hope he can be a top six guy and be that 20 goal guy 

Edited by Rick_theRyper

26 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

29!!!

A lot of years for good hockey in front of him.

Many people always scared about the future but the time is now.

So many things can happen in 4,5 or 6 years but now there is a chance to be a contender.

The time is now, we have to go for it is the same mentality that, ultimately, led to the last decade of misery.

It boggles my mind how short people's memories are.  One good season and you're willing to endure another decade of shit

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

The time is now, we have to go for it is the same mentality that, ultimately, led to the last decade of misery.

It boggles my mind how short people's memories are.  One good season and you're willing to endure another decade of shit

The Canucks need a top 6 winger and why not Guentzel?

He is in his prime years for the next 3-4 seasons.

To win the cup in cap era, you have to take some risk and gave up a little future.

But cap is increasing so 9M for Guentzel is not that much in 5 or 6 years

Edited by German Canuck

2 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

The Canucks need a top 6 winger and why not Guentzel?

He is in his prime years for the next 3-4 seasons.

Imo, they're already too top heavy and a 7 year, $9m+ contract on top of that only adds gas to that fire.  I think teams that do a better job of spreading their cap around are more successful in the end.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

All this silence from PA/JR 

feels eerily similar to JB the summer we lost Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom 

they have 6th most cap in nhl without a milky trade. 

That's misleading though because all of those positions need to be filled.,......it's not extra cap space on top of their regular roster

19 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

We can’t keep everyone, if Boeser wants a big raise he may find it somewhere else.

We have prospects so that they can replace expensive veterans and keep the cap situation under control.  Lekkerimaki might need to be the replacement.

Just like if we sign Tanev to a 3 year deal, the idea would be that one of our D prospects is able to take his spot by the end of that.