[Speculation] Stars Rumors: 3 Free-Agent Destinations for Chris Tanev 

Stars Rumors: 3 Free-Agent Destinations for Chris Tanev 

Michael DeRosa Monday, June 03, 2024

The Dallas Stars' season has come to an end, and now the Central Division club has a busy summer ahead of them. They have some notable free agents, and one of them is defenseman Chris Tanev. If he hits the market, there will be a ton of interest in him because he is a steady shutdown defender. Let's discuss three teams who could look to sign him now.

Dallas Stars: The Stars could very well look to re-sign Tanev this offseason. He was a notable upgrade to their right side, and it was an area that needed a big-time boost. He worked well in a shutdown role for them, so it would not be too shocking if they worked hard to get him a new deal before July 1.

Toronto Maple Leafs: It is not a secret that the Toronto Maple Leafs were heavily in on Tanev this season. It should carry over to the summer, as they still need a true top-four, right-shot defenseman on their roster. He would instantly become one of their most important pieces of the blueline and on their penalty kill. 

Vancouver Canucks: The Vancouver Canucks were in on Tanev leading up to the deadline. It is not a secret that they would love to officially reunite with Tanev, so it would not be surprising if they made a big push for him again this offseason. They could use an impactful defensive defenseman like him again. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/stars-rumors-3-free-agent-destinations.html

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

He was a huge reason they got that far and was clearly hobbled from injury by the end.

I take him any day of the week.

He was -3 in game one and just as bad all series and using an injury as an excuse of Chris tanev definitely does not make him more attractive as a ufa.  

Hard pass

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

as in all things, whats the price?

He's smart and would be a great partner for Hughes, if he can stay healthy. Should be 1/2 price of Hronek too. 

We have to re-allocate cap this year, so having Tanev as a 2 year partner for Hughes while Willander develops could be a solid plan, and it saves us cap to re-up Z and Teddy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Stars Want To Re-Sign Matt Duchene, Chris Tanev

June 3rd, 2024 at 10:45am CST • By Josh Erickson

The Stars are expected to try to extend veteran center Matt Duchene and trade deadline pickup Chris Tanev before they reach unrestricted free agency on July 1, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet said on Monday’s “32 Thoughts” podcast.

Duchene, 33, was an unexpected latecomer to the free agent market last summer after the Predators bought out the final three seasons of his seven-year, $56MM contract. He landed with Dallas on a one-year, $3MM pact, a decision that paid dividends for both teams.

The 2009 third-overall pick continued his standard production level in a slightly limited role in the Lone Star State, putting up 25 goals and 65 points in 80 games while serving in a complementary role to other Stars talents like Roope Hintz, Wyatt Johnston and Jason Robertson. He was limited to two goals and six points in 19 postseason games, but one of his snipes was a double-overtime winner against Colorado that sent Dallas to its second straight Western Conference Final.

Duchene would still have a home in Dallas’ top six next season, especially with the future another pending UFA, 39-year-old Joe Pavelski, hanging in the balance. Pavelski likely wouldn’t sign anywhere else this summer, but whether he returns for a 19th NHL season or heads for retirement is uncertain, Friedman said.

Tanev was also an invaluable piece for the Stars and was relied upon heavily by head coach Peter DeBoer after his acquisition from the Flames at the end of February. The 34-year-old scored seven points and a +13 rating in 38 regular-season and playoff games and averaged over 22 minutes per night in the postseason.

His return would firm up Dallas’ top four on defense next season with Thomas Harley, Miro Heiskanen and Esa Lindell. Veteran Ryan Suter also remains under contract for one more year at a $3.95MM cap hit, and 2022 first-round pick Lian Bichsel is expected to compete for a spot on the opening night roster after nearly making his NHL debut during the Western Conference Final.

Evolving Hockey’s contract projections yield a three-year, $7MM AAV deal for Duchene and a two-year, $3.9MM AAV deal for Tanev if they were both to remain in Dallas. That won’t be affordable for a team with just under $16MM in projected cap space with only 13 players on the roster, per CapFriendly, especially considering the 22-year-old Harley needs a new deal after his breakout 15-goal, 47-point season playing top-pairing duties alongside Heiskanen.

Perennial GM of the year candidate Jim Nillwould need to get creative with some cap-clearing trades or convince Duchene to take a significant discount to stay, something that may be feasible considering he’s still being paid $1.56MM by the Preds through 2029.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/stars-want-to-re-sign-matt-duchene-chris-tanev.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1

Would rather the Canucks go after Matt Roy (29) in the 4-4.5m range.  If the team decides to

trade Hronek, Roy would play alongside Hughes very well. If they sign Hronek, they will likely

sign Myers as 2nd RD.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Tanev should be a 3rd pairing guy on a contender at this point in his career.  Think Ian Cole.  $3M AAV would be ok.  I'd love to see Myers and Tanev  come back on identical $3M x 2 deals. 

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Pettersson

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Tanev

image.thumb.png.03cfcfd6d6188ac37bc4e9f3d3bcc112.png

Everybody loves Tanev, or at least who Tanev was. We have the same questions as a few years ago regarding his health. At this point he's not worth mire than 3mil imo. Too much risk with his health moving forward.

• Cheers 1

He got eaten alive by Edmonton, we've got to not be silly and get rid of our 25 year old decent all-round guy because we could turn him into something special. Obviously our right side could be re-shaped but boy, having Hronek up top, Tanev and Myers in the bottom-4 would be great. Not sure who plays 2nd pairing but surely Tanev and Myers both play around 19 minutes per night and Hronek eats on average 22.

I'd worry about Tanev's durability though, no way he's playing a full season, so maybe we need some backup.

To be honest I'd rather look at Hakanpaa if he's available.

Regardless, this would be a solid defence and could be fairly cheap if Tanev doesn't mind 2M and Myers 3M.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Tanev

Juulsen

Give Zadorov his 5.5M and Hronek 7.5-8M. Means we might be a bit thinner up front but I'd rely on that defence.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Tanev should be a 3rd pairing guy on a contender at this point in his career.  Think Ian Cole.  $3M AAV would be ok.  I'd love to see Myers and Tanev  come back on identical $3M x 2 deals. 

Suter-Miller-Boeser

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Tanev

This is the most realistic thing I’ve seen, I like it. We need Podz and Hogz to take steps forwards. As much as people wanna see a winger for Pete, we have to be patient 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see us push for Tanev at the right cost and term (and hope he takes a bit of a discount). It's no secret Hughes loves playing with him, and he's still a top shut down defenceman in this league. Yes he may have been burnt by the Oilers but he played some HARD minutes against the MacKinnon and Eichel lines before that series.

Edited by Integra250

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

PDG-Aman-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Tanev

This is a good team right there. If they keep Lindholm he's gotta play up in the top six and Petey wing. Love it! 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He was -3 in game one and just as bad all series and using an injury as an excuse of Chris tanev definitely does not make him more attractive as a ufa.  

Hard pass

.... sure being played 22 minutes a night against the best forwards from the opposition on a team that went deep in the playoffs makes him a bad bet.

Yikes.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

.... sure being played 22 minutes a night against the best forwards from the opposition on a team that went deep in the playoffs makes him a bad bet.

Yikes.

Against a team in the Canucks division, against a team they're going to have to beat to get to a Cup.  He ain't getting younger, healthier, faster or better

At the cost it'll take to get him, no thanks

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

He was a huge reason they got that far and was clearly hobbled from injury by the end.

I take him any day of the week.

truly as close as there is to a no-brainer in this league. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. This is what I was saying last week. He's now into the Ian Cole territory of his career.

I still can't believe some are thinking he should be a top pairing with Hughes. We have our top pairing set and need to move forward not backward.

Yup, as you and I have tried to make obvious, now is absolutely not the time to be removing core pieces to try and find a fit by finding cheaper versions.

Now is the time to identify our core and build around it.  IMO, our core costs of Miller, Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek, Demko.  Now you gotta find a solid mix of support players.  I think we have some good ones already in Garland, Hoglander, Soucy, and hopefully guys like Zadorov and Lindholm return.  The rest are really bottom 6, bottom pair, and ELC guys that you hope provide the energy, grit, and other attributes such as faceoffs, PK, etc.

The ideal situation is we have some ELCs come in and make significant impacts.  The hope is Willander, DPetey, Lekkerimaki, Raty, etc are those guys that become a secondary core of youth on the team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Injury or not, he's not the same player that left us in 2020 anymore.   Yes, he's still an effective player when utilized correctly,  but the bigger question to me is why this organization would need to pursue a 34yo vet with a LOT of hard miles on him rather than a younger,  cheaper player with more upside?  Where are the guys from the pipeline and when are they going to be NHL ready?  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

No thanks, looked terrible against the Oilers 

He was top shut down d man against VGK and COL all star top lines 

dallas just looked a little bit tired - their execution was off 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, as you and I have tried to make obvious, now is absolutely not the time to be removing core pieces to try and find a fit by finding cheaper versions.

Now is the time to identify our core and build around it.  IMO, our core costs of Miller, Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Hronek, Demko.  Now you gotta find a solid mix of support players.  I think we have some good ones already in Garland, Hoglander, Soucy, and hopefully guys like Zadorov and Lindholm return.  The rest are really bottom 6, bottom pair, and ELC guys that you hope provide the energy, grit, and other attributes such as faceoffs, PK, etc.

The ideal situation is we have some ELCs come in and make significant impacts.  The hope is Willander, DPetey, Lekkerimaki, Raty, etc are those guys that become a secondary core of youth on the team.

We're on the same page. I said in another thread earlier today it's as if some are still stuck in the mentality of the previous era. We need to be able to recognize and acknowledge when we have our core pieces, the ones we've been searching for over a decade and build around them, instead of being caught in an endless loop of searching for the unknown. 

You nailed it with the core pieces and support. This is actually coming together nicely. Especially with guys like Garland and Hoglander. Add in Silovs, there's another hole filled and a step up in talent. Add Zad and Lindholm (hopefully). It also looks like Myers will be team friendly for 2-3, which is exactly the transition period for D-Petey and Willander. We're getting a lot closer to ELCs coming in over the next couple years as well.

A guy like Tanev would be good down our D for the next couple years to help the middle pairings defensively and transition to our younger guys. That makes more sense. Either that or just move on. 

• Like 1