[Speculation] Stars Rumors: 3 Free-Agent Destinations for Chris Tanev 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Injury or not, he's not the same player that left us in 2020 anymore.   Yes, he's still an effective player when utilized correctly,  but the bigger question to me is why this organization would need to pursue a 34yo vet with a LOT of hard miles on him rather than a younger,  cheaper player with more upside?  Where are the guys from the pipeline and when are they going to be NHL ready?  

He has been better.

He has hardly missed any games, has been the top shut down D on each team he has been on, is an elite shot suppressor, plays the hardest matchups and primarily in the defensive zone.  He is consistently amongst the league leaders in GAR for defencemen which is a good way to measure impact of a D beyond point totals.

Every coach and teammate raves about him and what he brings. 

He would be ideal for us.  We have some D close the NHL ready that we want to gently bring into the league.  If we load manage Tanev or he breaks a bone from one of the 100 shots he blocks and has to miss a couple weeks… we slide Juulsen or a prospect in for some minutes.

Hopefully over a 3 year contract, Tanev can slide down the lineup as a kid like Petterson or Willander is ready to take on more minutes.  Perfect transition player for us.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, stawns said:

He was -3 in game one and just as bad all series and using an injury as an excuse of Chris tanev definitely does not make him more attractive as a ufa.  

Hard pass

Without tanev do you think dallas  got past Colorado?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

He is always injured when he was a Canuck.

Pass

well when he played with Hughes he barley got hit.. 

and he was barely hurt from that season on.

missed less games than the average nhl dmen playing the minutes he played.

amount of Canucks fans so sour on tanev kinda blows my mind 

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Would rather the Canucks go after Matt Roy (29) in the 4-4.5m range.  If the team decides to

trade Hronek, Roy would play alongside Hughes very well. If they sign Hronek, they will likely

sign Myers as 2nd RD.

Out of all the FA dmen I like Roy the most too. I think he and Durzi are going to get big overpayments though

Id like tanev if he came at a discount but if paying full market value Roy would be preferred.

I think this is only viable if Hronek is moved too and Myers resigned 

otherwise this money has to go into our forwards

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Without tanev do you think dallas  got past Colorado?

Definitely.........nichuskin being out was the major factor in that series and Dallas handled them pretty easily after that.  It turned the teams from the central, that we all thought were tough outs, turned out to be a lot less potent than expected.

I've been a tanev fan since Manitoba, but he got exposed, big time, in that Oilers series and that's a team directly in the Csnucks path to a Cup.........and it's not like hrs going to get younger, faster or better in the next couple years.  

Id prefer to spend that money elsewhere unless he comes in at $3m or under

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

If you are bringing him in to play with Hughes? Huge pass.. if you are bringing him in for a 2nd/3rd pairing role sure depends on cost. The stars relied on tanev and as soon as he was injured their playoff ended losing 3 in a row. Same thing will happen with Vancouver if he’s brought in as a hronek replacement coz he’s an injury risk with his style and tocchet loves to let the other team shoot on us and try to block everything. Wouldn’t be surprise if we get the injury prone version of tanev in Vancouver with our style of game

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

Against a team in the Canucks division, against a team they're going to have to beat to get to a Cup.  He ain't getting younger, healthier, faster or better

At the cost it'll take to get him, no thanks

If the Canucks are looking for a transition piece for RD there has to be younger options than Tanev. Likely too much money and term. Nostalgia weighing to heavily with some fans. 

It simply comes down to cost. If Tanev wants anything close to fair market value ie 4 million likely then it should be a pass because of the injury risk.

If hes willing to sign for around 3 Million on a two year deal then it’s a no brainer. He’s not going to play 22 minutes anymore but he is fully capable of playing with Hughes and PK time for around 20 minutes a night.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

I love the idea of Tanev coming back if he and Myers are sharing that 3rd/5th D man role on the right side keeping both their minutes under 20.

Yup, that's the ONLY way I'd bring him back.  He is NOT the answer to a Hronek replacement. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, that's the ONLY way I'd bring him back.  He is NOT the answer to a Hronek replacement. 

Nope he’s a Cole upgrade. Only way it should be considered.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope he’s a Cole upgrade. Only way it should be considered.

Exactly.  I'd love to see this as our RHD depth:

Hronek

Myers

Tanev

Juulsen

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not sold on bringing Tanev back,,, I guess it would depend on money and term. I agree with you though he would be better as a 3rd-5th D-man,

He MIGHT have to be the Hronek replacement option for the first year though...I think the Hronek replacement will play another year in the NCAA.

Dylan Demelo might be a younger, more cost effective choice than Tanev on 2-3 year contract though.   

Edited by Blitz-Pix

No to Tanev, unless he come "home" cheap.

Tanev couldn't stay healthy when he played here 5 years ago. Now's he's an old guy and guess what?!....He's injured again.

Tanev I feel is a much better fit.  He can move up to first or play second pairing on a shutdown pair.

I think Juulsen has earned that third pairing spot at what $825-850 next year.  That is hard to say Myers is worth triple that for that spot.

Myers was better this year because he was playing down the lineup with less minutes.  He is a third that could play up when needed.

Would rather see the extra $2M from not signing Myers to $3M spent on Zads or on an option that better fills our needs.

I would definitely rather see:

Hughes-Hronek/Tanev

Soucy-Hronek/Tanev

Zads-Juulsen

UFA/Trade

than

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-cheap UFA/Trade

cheap UFA/trade-Myers

Juulssen

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek

Myers

Tanev

Juulsen

Exactly!

This teams strength was its defense. I get they wanna upgrade the top 6 but it can’t be at the expense of the D.

They start dismantling the D, we’re headed straight back to Green hockey I don’t care how good Foote is. 

Cheap scoring wingers that can give you a good season are much easier to find then cheap reliable D men.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek

Myers

Tanev

Juulsen

I theory that looks like a solid Right Side D...

My concern is that Tanev is 35 this year and Myers is 34. Father time catches up with all of us.

Not sure how an aging blueline is going to keep up with the likes of McDavid, McKinnon and so on.

Even if they took 2-3 year deals we could be in a boatload of trouble moving forward. Just my 2 cents though.

5 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I theory that looks like a solid Right Side D...

My concern is that Tanev is 35 this year and Myers is 34. Father time catches up with all of us.

Not sure how an aging blueline is going to keep up with the likes of McDavid, McKinnon and so on.

Even if they took 2-3 year deals we could be in a boatload of trouble moving forward. Just my 2 cents though.

My realistic blueline looks like this:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Lyubushkin

Juulsen

I think Lyubushkin and Myers could both be signed for $3M AAV deals.  I feel like Tanev would come in at $4M+, which is too pricey for us.  I like Lyubushkin as a 3rd pair guy.  That's where he should be on a true contender.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

14 UFA Right Handed D options available (for now) this offseason:

Chris Tanev

Brett Pesce

Brandon Montour

Matt Roy

Dylan Demelo

Alexandre Carrier

Sean Walker

Jalen Chatfield

Jani Hakanpaa

Vincent Desharnais

Brendan Dillon 

Tyler Myers 

Lyubushkin

Matt Dumba 

This is not a complete list, it just offers a small sample of what's out there.  

This year is a bit of a one-off, where there's a lot more RHD available than LHD. Gives us an opportunity to shore someone up for the foreseeable future

or just plug holes for the short term. There's pro's and cons to each player but it's nice to see their options available.

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

12 UFA Right Handed D options available (for now) this offseason:

Chris Tanev

Brett Pesce

Brandon Montour

Matt Roy

Dylan Demelo

Alexandre Carrier

Sean Walker

Jalen Chatfield

Jani Hakanpaa

Vincent Desharnais

Brendan Dillon 

Tyler Myers 

This year is a bit of a one-off, where there's a lot more RHD available than LHD. Gives us an opportunity to shore someone up for the foreseeable future

or just plug holes for the short term. There's pro's and cons to each player but it's nice to see their options available.

I think you're missing several guys on that list... Lyubushkin and Dumba come to mind.

I think $3M is our cutoff price if we want to bring back Myers as well. 

I'd say any of Lyubushkin, Chatfield, Hakanpaa, Desharnais, Dillon, could all be around that $3M AAV mark. 

Montour (if he gets to UFA), Pesce, Roy, and Demelo will be the most expensive of the bunch in the $5.5M+ range.

Tanev, Walker, Carrier, Dumba would likely be the $4M to $5M guys.

• Vintage 1

Hard pass on Tanev.  I'd rather re-sign Myers and then go after either Matt Roy or Dylan Demelo in free agency.  If we trade Hronek, then we will need 2 RHDmen.  So another would need to be acquired via a trade.  If those rumours of the Rangers wanting to shop Trouba are true, I would be all over that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think you're missing several guys on that list... Lyubushkin and Dumba come to mind.

I think $3M is our cutoff price if we want to bring back Myers as well. 

I'd say any of Lyubushkin, Chatfield, Hakanpaa, Desharnais, Dillon, could all be around that $3M AAV mark. 

Montour (if he gets to UFA), Pesce, Roy, and Demelo will be the most expensive of the bunch in the $5.5M+ range.

Tanev, Walker, Carrier, Dumba would likely be the $4M to $5M guys.

Hahaha....you caught that!

I did go back and edit my post to include.... This is not a complete list. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hahaha....you caught that!

I did go back and edit my post to include.... This is not a complete list. 

Haha, I don't blame you.  Surprisingly, there's quite a few serviceable RHD this year.  Bodes well for us to fill out our D group with a vet or 2.