[Speculation] Stars Rumors: 3 Free-Agent Destinations for Chris Tanev 

I don't think he'll end up here, and I really don't care if he doesn't. Yeah, I recognize what he brings but there are other options out there. I also think he'll stay in Dallas somehow. 

I have a feeling we will end up paying him to only play 45 games and be back to square 1 looking for another d-man at the deadline, Love the guy but he's not getting any younger either..past injuries are going to start taking it's toll...Hard pass.

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

I have a feeling we will end up paying him to only play 45 games and be back to square 1 looking for another d-man at the deadline, Love the guy but he's not getting any younger either..past injuries are going to start taking it's toll...Hard pass.

Perfect. Then he goes on LTIR until playoffs and we have a warrior return when most needed. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If those rumours of the Rangers wanting to shop Trouba are true, I would be all over that.  

No. Please no. He's terrible, very overpaid, and doesn't want to leave NYR. He's also at least a top 3 dirtiest player in the league. God no.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard pass on Tanev.  I'd rather re-sign Myers and then go after either Matt Roy or Dylan Demelo in free agency.  If we trade Hronek, then we will need 2 RHDmen.  So another would need to be acquired via a trade.  If those rumours of the Rangers wanting to shop Trouba are true, I would be all over that.  

In theory if you brought back Myers (around $3 million) you could replace Hronek's ask of $8 million with 2 UFA's (average $4 million each) 

and have an entire Ride side D that costs $11 million in total. That could provide good depth in the short term, while you wait for Willander to make the jump.

It would also be easier to move 1 of them in the future (if needed).    

Not to mention the assets you might get back in a Hronek trade,

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

We should have never let go Tanev and Edler at the time. Tanev was still a top 4D and Edler could have played on the 3rd pairing. But at this stage in his career we should not be looking at bringing Taney back 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

No. Please no. He's terrible, very overpaid, and doesn't want to leave NYR. He's also at least a top 3 dirtiest player in the league. God no.

Foote would love him.

Im open to it if the retentions right. Look how this coaching staff got Myers game back. I’d be confident they could get him back into the form he was in Winnipeg.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

If you are bringing him in to play with Hughes? Huge pass.. if you are bringing him in for a 2nd/3rd pairing role sure depends on cost. The stars relied on tanev and as soon as he was injured their playoff ended losing 3 in a row. Same thing will happen with Vancouver if he’s brought in as a hronek replacement coz he’s an injury risk with his style and tocchet loves to let the other team shoot on us and try to block everything. Wouldn’t be surprise if we get the injury prone version of tanev in Vancouver with our style of game

Chris Pratt Oh Snap GIF

3 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

We should have never let go Tanev and Edler at the time. Tanev was still a top 4D and Edler could have played on the 3rd pairing. But at this stage in his career we should not be looking at bringing Taney back 

Would he work as a depth or bottom pairing damn? 

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Foote would love him.

Im open to it if the retentions right. Look how this coaching staff got Myers game back. I’d be confident they could get him back into the form he was in Winnipeg.

That's still a huge roll of the dice. Even at 50% retained, which the Rags are very unlikely to do, I'd be hesitant to bring him in. Even Myers' resurgent year is likely only going to land him a $3 or $4M AAV contract, and he was way better than Trouba this year. 

I'd take Trouba if they retained half his salary and threw in some considerable sweetener(s). They won't do that though.

7 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

That's still a huge roll of the dice. Even at 50% retained, which the Rags are very unlikely to do, I'd be hesitant to bring him in. Even Myers' resurgent year is likely only going to land him a $3 or $4M AAV contract, and he was way better than Trouba this year. 

I'd take Trouba if they retained half his salary and threw in some considerable sweetener(s). They won't do that though.

You gotta roll the dice sometimes that’s the thing.

Playing it safe doesn’t get you anywhere.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You gotta roll the dice sometimes that’s the thing.

Playing it safe doesn’t get you anywhere.

There's better rolls of the dice. This roll of the dices involves taking on massive risk (like, close whatever window we have type of risk) while offering up the reward of maybe a decent #5 D man that we're paying upwards of $4M for? Sounds terrible to me.

14 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

There's better rolls of the dice. This roll of the dices involves taking on massive risk (like, close whatever window we have type of risk) while offering up the reward of maybe a decent #5 D man that we're paying upwards of $4M for? Sounds terrible to me.

You don’t pay that price for a number 5 D man you pay it with the hopes he returns to form and can play top 4. That’s why it’s called rolling the dice.

Any player with upside is gonna come with risk. Trading for a player like Necas comes with a huge risk. If they pan out though the GM looks brilliant.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t pay that price for a number 5 D man you pay it with the hopes he returns to form and can play top 4. That’s why it’s called rolling the dice.

Any player with upside is gonna come with risk. Trading for a player like Necas comes with a huge risk. If they pan out though the GM looks brilliant.

What type of top 4? It's been a while since he was a quality top 4. He's certainly not better than anything we currently have in our top 4. He was arguably better than Myers in 

Winnipeg, but that's not even clear and was also several years ago now. We'd be taking a massive risk and eating up more of our already limited to cap space to maybe get a small upgrade on Myers.

I don't think you're understanding how terrible this idea is. We can get better D men at similar cap hits in free agency.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard pass on Tanev.  I'd rather re-sign Myers and then go after either Matt Roy or Dylan Demelo in free agency.  If we trade Hronek, then we will need 2 RHDmen.  So another would need to be acquired via a trade.  If those rumours of the Rangers wanting to shop Trouba are true, I would be all over that.  

There’s almost no scenario where trouba would waive his nmc to come to Vancouver even if rangers wants to get rid of him. He doesn’t want to play in Canada.. he rejected all the Canadians team offer back then don’t see him changing his stance now. Rangers is stuck with him 1 way or another 

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Definitely.........nichuskin being out was the major factor in that series and Dallas handled them pretty easily after that.  It turned the teams from the central, that we all thought were tough outs, turned out to be a lot less potent than expected.

I've been a tanev fan since Manitoba, but he got exposed, big time, in that Oilers series and that's a team directly in the Csnucks path to a Cup.........and it's not like hrs going to get younger, faster or better in the next couple years.  

Id prefer to spend that money elsewhere unless he comes in at $3m or under

tanev was an absolute monster vs Vegas and Colorado.

any different take on that is hard for me to understand. And I don’t feel I was biased at all in watching I was just impressed with what he did.

i don’t know if Dallas gets past Vegas or Colorado without Tanev stabilizing their top 4 and their right side. 

Dallas limited Edmonton to 10 shots and correct me if I’m wrong but that magical mcjesus goal that everyone loves was scored on heiskanen playing his offside covering tanev on pk1 on the right side. If Tanev is there higher chance that goal isn’t scored as it seemed to be a handedness issue for heiskanen def mcdavids rush in there.

sure he took the penalty though, but so did a lot of dmen these playoffs. He also assisted on Dallas only goal that game.

i think tanev either gets overated or underrated to the point it comes off as hate.

where the reality of it is at his age he’s a super solid RH defensive dman who sacrifices his body to get wins for his team.

im not advocating to sign him especially at an overpay. But if management decides to add him to our group at a reasonable term at a workable cap it’s hard to imagine it not being an upgrade for our backend.

in game 7 vs aves he played 30+ minutes and blocked 9 shots. 

mackinnon and makar had so many insane shifts and they found away to minimize them and still win. Tanev was a key part in accomplishing this. Regardless of Valeri.

• ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

There’s almost no scenario where trouba would waive his nmc to come to Vancouver even if rangers wants to get rid of him. He doesn’t want to play in Canada.. he rejected all the Canadians team offer back then don’t see him changing his stance now. Rangers is stuck with him 1 way or another 

I’d hate adding him… he’s get record settinng suspensions as a canuckntoo haha

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The only thing that would comfort me on acquiring necas  is our managements pro scouting has been pretty solid. 

i have a lot of concerns about it though. Seeing as he’s not a PPG guy, wants to be a C and then overpay that will come into acquiring him and the contract commitment required to find out if he is who you hope he can be

Friedman saying:

Tanev- he is not likely to resign in Dallas 

Hughes loves him

Hughes is an allstar

Tanev loves Van

We are a contender 

We have cap space, 

he might take a bit of a home town disocunt

I think JR/PA are planning to sign CT and JG 

They are also looking to move milky or garland

CAR doesn't want Hronek, they want Wallander and Lekkki for Necas ( this will not happen)

No rumours about canucks goalies 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Oh how we needed dirty one.Dirty is good ,if play for you

34 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Friedman saying:

Hughes loves him

Hughes is an allstar

Tanev loves Van

We are a contender 

We have cap space, 

CAR doesn't want Hronek, they want Wallander and Lekkki for Necas ( this will not happen)

So we could move off all of Garland and allocate that cap to Zadorov and Geuntzel. And sign Tanev too.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Myers

Juulsson 

Boeser, Miller

Geuntzel, Petey

Hogs, Blugar

Pods, Suter

Then fill in the blanks. 

42 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Friedman saying:

Hughes loves him

Hughes is an allstar

Tanev loves Van

We are a contender 

We have cap space, 

Selling high on Garly is exactly the kind of gamble that we should be strongly considering. I am all for it. If we can trade Mikheyev too, even better. We been arguing so much about adding a top 6 winger or a top 4 D. Why not trade Garland who is a bottom 6er and free some cap to add a true top 6 winger AND a top 4 D? Instead of one or the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we could move off all of Garland and allocate that cap to Zadorov and Geuntzel. And sign Tanev too.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Myers

Juulsson 

Boeser, Miller

Geuntzel, Petey

Hogs, Blugar

Pods, Suter

Then fill in the blanks. 

Garland and Milky rumoured to be contracts Canucks trying to move per 650

That’s about 35 million of space 

JG 9