[Speculation] Maple Leafs Rumors: Some In Organization "Scared" To Trade Marner

Maple Leafs Rumors: Some In Organization "Scared" To Trade Marner

Dave Litman Monday, June 03, 2024

It's safe to say that we're still in the very early stages of the Mitch Marner saga. The Toronto Maple Leafs have a huge decision on how to move forward with their star playmaker who is going into the final year of his contract. 

With a new hard-nosed coach in tow now in Craig Berube, perhaps he can be the one to take Marner to new levels in the playoffs that he hasn't been able to reach. At least, that seems to be the concern in some quarters of the Leafs organization as they consider Marner's future. In fact, according to hockey insider Elliotte Friedman on his 32 Thoughts podcast Monday, some around the team are "scared" to give up on Mitch. 

“One of the things that a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over the course of the next season with Marner in Toronto. This is such a delicate situation between player and team, because everyone is determined to look like a winner here”.

And what really makes this frightening from the club's perspective, he reveals,  is that there are some in the Leafs organization that are still stinging from the way the Nazem Kadri situation played out a few years ago: They let him go "when they were mad at him" after he took inadvisable suspensions in the playoffs for two straight years and hurt the team's chances to advance. But they then watched him pull himself together in Colorado and be a major driver in helping the Avalanche win a Stanley Cup. 

“I think there are people in the organization that are looking at this and think 'Could this be Kadri 2.0' where Marner goes somewhere else... and becomes a key player on a Stanley Cup team in another city—which I do believe could happen.

I think there are people in the organization who are very scared of that happening”.

It should also be reiterated, of course, that Marner is really the one holding all the cards, as he has a full no-movement clause, and simply doesn't have to go anywhere if he doesn't want, and just head into free agency next summer. 

Lots to parse through here over the next couple of months. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/maple-leafs-rumors-some-in-organization.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Marner is their scapegoat and doesn't deserve the hate he gets. I fully believe he will thrive where ever he goes. 

Would you want Canucks to trade for him?  He’s a 90-100pt RW player in the regular season.  He might be a good fit in EP line.

Just now, DeNiro said:

This reminds me of when we brought in Torts to try and coach a team built around the Sedins.

Square peg in a round hole. None of these current Leafs are Berube players.

Matthews is. He’s a great defensive player as well. Berube can motivate that further, but it’ll be interesting to see how he manages the other stars.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Would you want Canucks to trade for him?  He’s a 90-100pt RW player in the regular season.  He might be a good fit in EP line.

I would not. If he was a FA this summer and would be getting the same contract I would. But the cost to acquired paired with the contract would be too much for us to build a well balanced team. But I would take him on the Canucks if acquisition cost wasn't a thing.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Marner is their scapegoat and doesn't deserve the hate he gets. I fully believe he will thrive where ever he goes. 

Probably. Tavares is the real problem there. That’s the cap space they need 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, RWJC said:

“One of the things that a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over the course of the next season with Marner in Toronto. This is such a delicate situation between player and team, because everyone is determined to look like a winner here”.

And what really makes this frightening from the club's perspective, he reveals,  is that there are some in the Leafs organization that are still stinging from the way the Nazem Kadri situation played out a few years ago: They let him go "when they were mad at him" after he took inadvisable suspensions in the playoffs for two straight years and hurt the team's chances to advance. But they then watched him pull himself together in Colorado and be a major driver in helping the Avalanche win a Stanley Cup. 

“I think there are people in the organization that are looking at this and think 'Could this be Kadri 2.0' where Marner goes somewhere else... and becomes a key player on a Stanley Cup team in another city—which I do believe could happen.

I think there are people in the organization who are very scared of that happening”.

Lol sounds like me an my ex 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Devron said:

Probably. Tavares is the real problem there. That’s the cap space they need 

Yeah,  that signing didn't work out well for them. Though, to be fair, that signing was a no brainer at the time.

• Cheers 1

The hate for Marner is way overblown. Yes, he has had multiple disappointing playoff performances, but he also had a few good playoffs during their numerous first round exits. Overall in his career, Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games, that's not too bad. It is a drop-off from his regular season stats, but most players have a lower points per game in the playoffs compare to their regular season.

The issue with Toronto is too much money tied to too few players and they are all playing the forward position. They need to have a more balanced line-up with better overall depth. They should trade one of their core-four players, and that player is most likely going to be Marner, but that's mostly due to he only has 1 year left of his current contract, and it is much easier to find a trade partner on a player with only 1 year remaining of their contract.

Trading him would mean you are losing a 90+ point player in the regular season, and they still have to find ways to replace that offense that is loss with trading him. They will need to pick a roster player who can put up around 20 goals, and find another Top 4 RHD to solidify that blueline.

I have no idea what Treliving's plan is outside of going after more pending UFAs from the Canucks. So if they do end up moving on from Marner, I can see Treliving throwing money at Joshua and Zadorov to add more toughness in their line-up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

He'll end up dropping 120pts with whichever team he plays with next year, just play him with a good two-way center and a grinder and they'll be sorted.

Imagine if Florida trade for him - Ekblad++ for Marner.

Tkachuk - Barkov - Marner

Goodnight.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

All it would cost us is our entire blueline except Hughes. Literally the reason they can't win a game in the 2nd round. Lets learn a lesson from them and not run a bunch of soft 10+ million dollar players.

2 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

The hate for Marner is way overblown. Yes, he has had multiple disappointing playoff performances, but he also had a few good playoffs during their numerous first round exits. Overall in his career, Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games, that's not too bad. It is a drop-off from his regular season stats, but most players have a lower points per game in the playoffs compare to their regular season.

The issue with Toronto is too much money tied to too few players and they are all playing the forward position. They need to have a more balanced line-up with better overall depth. They should trade one of their core-four players, and that player is most likely going to be Marner, but that's mostly due to he only has 1 year left of his current contract, and it is much easier to find a trade partner on a player with only 1 year remaining of their contract.

Trading him would mean you are losing a 90+ point player in the regular season, and they still have to find ways to replace that offense that is loss with trading him. They will need to pick a roster player who can put up around 20 goals, and find another Top 4 RHD to solidify that blueline.

I have no idea what Treliving's plan is outside of going after more pending UFAs from the Canucks. So if they do end up moving on from Marner, I can see Treliving throwing money at Joshua and Zadorov to add more toughness in their line-up.

Points dont mean everything lol. When you are a 1st rounder exit for 7 out of 8 seasons, when the players evidently don't show up when you watch the playoff games, and are not a threat on the ice with no timely goals or plays to carry the team, what are the points worth? For example Pettersson also got 6 points in 13 games in this playoffs for us, but he was pretty much invisible for the 2 series he played.