[Speculation] TOR D Edmundson, Lyubushkin to test UFA

Maple Leafs Notes: Lambert, Edmundson, Lyubushkin

June 3rd, 2024 at 11:17am CST • By Josh Erickson

Toronto has expressed interest in retaining trade pickup Joel Edmundson, but the pending unrestricted free-agent defenseman seems intent on testing the market next month, reports David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period. The 30-year-old hasn’t ruled out a return to the Leafs but wants to see what else is out there. He struggled with injuries after being picked up from the Capitals the day before the deadline, going without a point and logging a +3 rating in nine regular-season games. He had a decent showing in postseason play, averaging 18:40 in their seven-game loss to the Bruins while adding an assist and a -1 rating. The aging blue liner won a Stanley Cup with Berube as a member of the Blues in 2019.

The Leafs appear less likely to retain another depth defenseman, Ilya Lyubushkin, with Pagnotta reporting extension discussions haven’t started with free agency less than a month away. General manager Brad Treliving sent a third-round pick to the Ducks to bring the Russian blue-liner back for his second stint in Toronto, and he was one of their better defensemen in the postseason with three assists and a +4 rating against Boston while riding shotgun alongside Morgan Rielly on their top pairing. The shutdown defender totaled eight assists and a -11 rating in 74 games split between Anaheim and Toronto this season.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/maple-leafs-notes-lambert-edmundson-lyubushkin.html#ref=home

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lyubushkin wouldn't be a bad get for the bottom pair. Guy likes to use the body either by blocking a ton of shots or laying out people. 

If Myers costs too much. 

But for the Leafs, he's always played on terrible teams.  When he played for TO, he played much

better. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

But for the Leafs, he's always played on terrible teams.  When he played for TO, he played much

better. 

He'd be playing under two HoF D coaches here. 

Guy has averaged over 2 hits a game his entire career during regular season play and 4 hits a game in the 14 playoff games he's played while only averaging 15ish minutes(minutes did improve this playoffs)

I can work with that but Myers at a 3rd pair role I probably prefer.

Lyubushkin is a good plan B. Rather spend cap on credible 2nd pair and we have to navigate the Hronek situation which will be the first domino on defense this off-season. 

Lyubushkin to replace Cole. Hopefully at a cheaper cap hit. Funnily enough, his deployment is similar to that of Zads, Soucy and Myers. Plays around 17 minutes a game. A fringe top 4 guy. That's kind of the system I think PA and Rutherford are after. Hasn't played on the greatest of teams. Arizona, Toronto, Anaheim, and Buffalo. I think playing in our system will benefit him. Chatfield and Lyubushkin are players I am greatly interested in from the more fringe tier of UFAs. Pesce would be sweet on a good contract obviously.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes - Ekblad

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Lyubushkin

Soucy was injured a good chunk of last year and Juulsen more than held his own. I think it Juulsen deserves more respect for the season he had and the way he's developing. It makes more sense to have cheap depth like  Woo, McWard, and Brisbois. If we need it we can always find a guy later like Friedman.

Edmundson is interesting, he'll be 31 in June though and more than likely isn't the same player he was while he was in St. Louis. Lyubushkin should garner a good amount of attention as a solid D who won't break the bank.