[Speculation] NYR G Shesterkin’s next deal set to become highest paid G ever

East Notes: Shesterkin, Rajanimei, Bednar

June 3rd, 2024 at 8:28pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

The New York Rangers will reportedly begin contract extension talks with superstar goaltender Igor Shesterkin when their window to do so opens on July 1st (as per David Pagnotta). The 28-year-old has one season remaining on the four-year $22,666,667 he signed in August 2021 and will likely top Carey Price’s $10.5MM AAV to become the highest-paid goaltender in NHL history. Price’s contract remains active on Montreal’s books and is followed by Sergei Bobrovsky’s $10MM AAV and Andrei Vasilevskiy’s $9.5MM AAV.

The 2022 Vezina Trophy winner saw his regular season numbers fall off as he posted a 36-17-2 record with a .912 save percentage and a 2.58 goals-against average. His biggest drop off was his goals saved above expected where he dropped by 16 goals saved down to 12.1. As pedestrian as his regular season numbers were (by his standards), Shesterkin found his game in the playoffs and was dominant in helping the Rangers to the Conference Finals. He currently sits in second place in goals saved above expected with 13.1 goals saved in just 16 games and posted a .926 save percentage.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/east-notes-shesterkin-rajanimei-bednar.html#ref=home

If he gets somewhere around 11mill per, and RFA D Schneider is extended to a bridge at about 3mill per, the Rags will have about 3mill left over to play with. That doesn’t include anyone they choose to let walk or trade though. Leaves them in pretty good shape for this year.

Next year though they’ll have both Lafreniere and K’Andre Miller as RFAs to extend and that will make things verrrrrry interesting.

• Like 2

not many goalies are worth that price tag given their age.. goalie bob started looking awful but already earned his contract with 2 cup appearance winning or not.. but very few team outside of florida that i can think of have made the cup final eating up more than 10% of the cap.. just like i think we'll be looking at a demko trade next summer because there's no way i'll be paying demko 8mil+ prolly what he'd be asking for.. given the position and his injury history and goalies in general don't age well into their 30s.. there's always exceptions.. but not many

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

These huge contracts for goalies never seem to work out.  And then there's the ridiculous

terms.🤑 No good will come of this, NY.

Price- stanley cup final, ltir not really hurting a rebuilding team

Bob- 2 cup finals 

Vasi- 3 cup finals and 2 rings.

a lot huge contracts on forwards and defensemen never seem to work out either.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shitsterkin ain’t that good. Overrated. Way stupid by the Raggedy Andy’s. They are headed to Loserville. 

What do you think, if instead of Pettersson we had Shersterkin this year?Would we still play?And Now tell me if he is not worth 11 mill

3 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

What do you think, if instead of Pettersson we had Shersterkin this year?Would we still play?And Now tell me if he is not worth 11 mill

What’s Petey got to do with Shitsterkin and how the Rag Dolls are stupid losers? 

It's tough giving big contracts to goalies because you never know when they are going to fall off a cliff, and then the only spot for them is backup.

I would like 8 years 9.5 million, but you're kind of stuck if you're the Rangers.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

What’s Petey got to do with Shitsterkin and how the Rag Dolls are stupid losers? 

Money tag Alfitis.And Rags are not stupid because of goalie.There are other things.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, RWJC said:

If he gets somewhere around 11mill per, and RFA D Schneider is extended to a bridge at about 3mill per, the Rags will have about 3mill left over to play with. That doesn’t include anyone they choose to let walk or trade though. Leaves them in pretty good shape for this year.

Next year though they’ll have both Lafreniere and K’Andre Miller as RFAs to extend and that will make things verrrrrry interesting.

Lindgren as well and Erik gustafsson was a very big piece of their puzzle this year…. Rangers are gunna lose their depth and traded away all their draft capital I wouldn’t say they are in great shape, unless of course they have some prospects ready to make the jump only one that comes to mind is otthman 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

Lindgren as well and Erik gustafsson was a very big piece of their puzzle this year…. Rangers are gunna lose their depth and traded away all their draft capital I wouldn’t say they are in great shape, unless of course they have some prospects ready to make the jump only one that comes to mind is otthman 

Great shape - meant for this season. 
Definitely going to have to make some changes come next year.