[Retirement] Pavelski calling it quits

Man, he's still capable of playing... but I guess the struggles in the playoffs made him decide it's time to hang them up.

Regular season:  27 goals and 67 points in 82 games (yup, he played in all of them again!  At 39yo!!!)

Playofffs:  1 goal and 4 points in 19 games and a -5 rating (he probably can't elevate his game anymore to this level).

What an amazing career...

1332 games, 476 goals, 1068 points.

201 playoff games, 74 goals, 143 points.

7th Round Pick, 205th OA.

Amazing.  Respect.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, he's still capable of playing... but I guess the struggles in the playoffs made him decide it's time to hang them up.

Regular season:  27 goals and 67 points in 82 games (yup, he played in all of them again!  At 39yo!!!)

Playofffs:  1 goal and 4 points in 19 games and a -5 rating (he probably can't elevate his game anymore to this level).

What an amazing career...

1332 games, 476 goals, 1068 points.

201 playoff games, 74 goals, 143 points.

7th Round Pick, 205th OA.

Amazing.  Respect.

His longevity combined with his consistency made him a helluva outlier, top end players tend to age better but he was never supposed to be a top end player, what he was doing in his late 30's was nuts  

Which makes it all the more impressive really 

• Vintage 1

I think he just ran out of gas and knows it.

I think he could try a half season if he stays in shape. Maybe game management would help him as well.

Wait half a season/close to the deadline, see who the best contenders are, and sign a cheap deal.

Easier said than done, but I bring it up due to his "not retired, but likely retired" scenario.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Joe Pavelski is 1 of 6 players with 3+ seasons of 65+ points after turning 37

https://stathead.com/tiny/zpzwK?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool

Some pretty elite company there.

I'm incredibly impressed with Adam Oates doing that in the era of 1999 to 2002... arguably some of the lowest scoring years in modern NHL history.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm incredibly impressed with Adam Oates doing that in the era of 1999 to 2002... arguably some of the lowest scoring years in modern NHL history.

Good catch, that wouldn't have been an easy thing to do at all 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

His longevity combined with his consistency made him a helluva outlier, top end players tend to age better but he was never supposed to be a top end player, what he was doing in his late 30's was nuts  

Which makes it all the more impressive really 

In the past 12 years, he only missed 10 games (including the shortened Covid + lockdown years.

Impressive indeed, Coco; especially when you consider that he was a 7th round pick!

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In the past 12 years, he only missed 10 games (including the shortened Covid + lockdown years.

Impressive indeed, Coco; especially when you consider that he was a 7th round pick!

That's the truly wild part

The 2003 draft is viewed as one of the greatest, and a 7th round pick leads it in goal and points

https://www.hockey-reference.com/draft/NHL_2003_entry.html

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

He was so close to 500 goals, 600 assists, and 1100 points. Maaaaaaan. At the very least he could have gotten 600 assists and 1100 points next season. 24 goals might have been a stretch, despite potting 27 last season. Had a great career all the same.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Wouldn't Bob Hull been something if he kept playing the NHL.   Probably have 3 seasons of 90-120 points past 36.     Joe Pavelski, nice to see some love.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Guy was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Hall of famer?

or 

Hall of good, with longevity?

I think he gets in eventually, he doesn't have the hardware but he's got the numbers

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...