[Speculation] Predators “Don’t Have Appetite” to Match Saros $ Demands; Trade Likely

Predators “Don’t Have Appetite” to Match Saros $ Demands; Trade Likely

Dave Litman Tuesday, June 04, 2024

We heard the trade talk back at the deadline, and Juuse Saros's name is still on the rumor mill as a very real trade possibility this offseason for the Nashville Predators. As one of the top goaltenders in the game, he is certainly in demand if GM Barry Trotz decides to pull the trigger. 

And according to insider David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period this week, despite the company line coming out of Nashville that they hope to hold on to Saros, it sounds like a trade is more likely than not:

“The word is, (Saros) wants that $8 million to $8.25 million (AAV), he wants that Sorokin deal (8 yrs x $8.25M, kicking in this season with the NYI), and I don't think Nashville has the appetite to give him that deal... They can say whatever they want, (but) they had trade discussions during the season and I expect that will continue during the summer.”

Saros has one year to run on his $5 million AAV deal, and the Predators have said they will "work hard" on an extension agreement with the 29 year old this offseason. But the fact remains that they have one of the top goaltending prospects in the game knocking on the door, in Jaroslav Askarov. They could use Saros to add help elsewhere on the roster.

There are plenty of teams who have been linked to a potential Saros trade, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, New Jersey Devils and LA Kings, all of whom are searching for a No. 1 lockdown goalie.  

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/predators-dont-have-appetite-to-match.html

• Thanks 1

I could see Carolina wanting him as well, though they have their own cap issues.

Nashville needs offense, which is usually one of the easier finds, but probably not the top talent they need.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Man oh man. Considering the injuries he's endured, I would almost consider moving Demko for a price like that...

Say, Jake Allen + 10th OA... maybe another piece. Maybe we offload Mikheyev as well?

Is a Silovs + Allen tandem enough for this window?

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Man oh man. Considering the injuries he's endured, I would almost consider moving Demko for a price like that...

Say, Jake Allen + 10th OA... maybe another piece. Maybe we offload Mikheyev as well?

Can't understand the appetite to trade Demko yet. We will need both him and Silovs standing on their heads next year.

After next season perhaps but this team would lose a major piece of its core, camaraderie and leadership when he goes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

I wouldn't.  I rather load manage Demko and have Silovs take on more starts.  As good as Silovs was in the playoffs, he still had a sub .900 Sv%. 

In contrast, when Demko came in for an injured Markstrom, Demko had a ridiculous .985 Sv% (albeit it was only 4 games to Silovs 10 games... but still... vastly different IMO).

• Cheers 2
  • Desmenko 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, nergish said:

Seems unlikely they'd take Mikheyev imo 

They'd have interest in Demko though, certainly, but that's a tough one 

Demko is one of the best in the league when healthy but his health has been more questionable in recent years, Silovs was a hero come playoff time but we've seen other tenders get hot at the right time too, what we've seen from him is still a relatively small sample size 

I'd personally be surprised if they move Demko sooner than later but you never know, he's only got a couple seasons left on his deal and he'll be due for quite the raise if he can maintain a high level of play

I'd be less surprised to see him moved next offseason 

Edited by Coconuts

would you be open to trading : rights to DeSmith + Mik + Hronek for Saros... then flipping him to Carolina for Necas + Pesci 

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

would you be open to trading : rights to DeSmith + Mik + Hronek for Saros... then flipping him to Carolina for Necas + Pesci 

Have no idea why NAS would want to do that.  They'd be adding likely $13M+ to their cap instead of just re-signing Saros.

15 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

All three pieces Nashville would have zero interest in, not to mention DeSmith is a pending UFA.  

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Can't understand the appetite to trade Demko yet. We will need both him and Silovs standing on their heads next year.

After next season perhaps but this team would lose a major piece of its core, camaraderie and leadership when he goes.

demko whos VERY injury prone, i do ...love the guy, but dam he always gets hurt when we need him most

34 minutes ago, nergish said:

Silovs has fewer than 20 career games played. He looked solid in the playoffs, but he's still a relative unknown. Schneider had like 2 or 3 seasons as an elite backup before he got the starters crease somewhere. Same with Demko, and Markstrom, and most goalies who aren't thrown into the fire due to poor development. Silovs has been an NHL backup in exactly none seasons. Our love affair with backups is always fascinating and sort of frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, nergish said:

To answer your last question,  that tandem wouldn't be enough at this point and I would be hesitant to trade Demko as he has bounced back from almost every injury (the most recent one being the exception). Given where New Jersey is at, I would wonder whether Silovs + would make sense going the other way for the pick? Obviously Canucks would have to add.  Maybe include Hronek?

9 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

demko whos VERY injury prone, i do ...love the guy, but dam he always gets hurt when we need him most

agreed, but perhaps its due to him having to be relied on to play sooooo may games for this club.

load manage him and we might get more use out of him. It's worth attempting anyway, especially as Silovs will need games to continue his development as well

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Silovs has fewer than 20 career games played. He looked solid in the playoffs, but he's still a relative unknown. Schneider had like 2 or 3 seasons as an elite backup before he got the starters crease somewhere. Same with Demko, and Markstrom, and most goalies who aren't thrown into the fire due to poor development. Silovs has been an NHL backup in exactly none seasons. Our love affair with backups is always fascinating and sort of frustrating.

It's recency bias more than anything really. As well as Silovs showed, throwing him into the starting role after one playoff run is incredibly short sighted. He needs a year or two as a backup to show he can handle a heavy work load consistently. 

• Cheers 1

Yeah no trading Demko this year, no point till he's up for his big raise, he can almost split the season with Arty next year the timing of Silovs emergence is a form of perfection. They can go 41/41 if need be to keep both fresh, probably won't happen. But 50/30 is easy. There will still be a trade market for Demko when he is on his last TDL with us. Trade him then and find Silovs a decent back up to play 20-30 games a vet of sorts a Miller type after his prime looking for a 2/3 year deal. Still got the talent but not getting younger. We won't be able to afford a huge Demko raise and Boeser and Hughes so it's already writing on the wall but the time is not this year! Having a good young goalie saving us huge money on a cheap contract will save us big time, they better lock Arty up here! 

If Demko pkayed liked Silovs, people would be upset with him. The expectations for Demko vs Silovs are widely different, but it shouldn't cloud people's judgement.

Demko>>Silovs, and is a goalie who can steal you games and rarely give up bad goals (which was a drawback on Silovs).

2 hours ago, nergish said:

I can't see them trading Demko. Yet. In 22/23 he missed 36 games and in 23/24 he missed 16 in the regular season and 11 in the playoffs. You could argue that the 22/23 injury probably cost the Canucks a playoff spot (Spencer Martin and Colin Delia weren't the answers). I've looked at regular season games played for every final four goalie in the last five seasons. On average, the winning goalies played between 50 and 55 games in the regular season leading up to the playoffs. Whatever happens with Demko next season, his workload should be no more than 55 games, or else he'll wear down again. If he struggles or is injured again next season, I would listen to offers at the deadline.

• Cheers 1