[Proposal] Erik Cernak

Sounds like Zadorov may be a difficult one to re-sign at a cap hit that reflects his value.  If that's the case, I really think we should be doing all we can to weaponize the immense cap space we have this offseason.  My primary targets are VGK and TBL. 

For VGK, I see William Karlsson as expendable. 

For TBL, many have already identified Tanner Jeannot, but the guy I'd really be curious about is Cernak.

During the regular season, he played less minutes than Dumba, and only 6 seconds more ATOI than Raddysh.  After acquiring McDonagh from NAS, I do wonder if TBL would go with the formula that brought them a lot of success in the past... a strong LHD on each pair with a supporting RHD.

Hedman

Sergachev

McDonagh

Moving Cernak's $5.2M cap hit along with Jeannot's cap hit would certainly free up enough to re-sign Stamkos.

I'd put together a really solid package if it meant landing Cernak... maybe even grab Jeannot at the same time to replace Joshua's minutes.

To TBL:

Vasili Podkolzin

Linus Karlsson

1st

To VAN:

Erik Cernak

Tanner Jeannot

Podkolzin could replace Jeannot's minutes at a much cheaper cost.  Karlsson gives them another solid bottom 6 guy too.  A 1st in 2025, but Cernak is only 27yo and signed at his very reasonable cap hit until 2030-31.  Some might say other teams could put together a better package, but remember we are taking on 100% of both Cernak and Jeannot's cap hits.  No retention at all from TBL.

Hughes-Cernak

Soucy-Hronek (this would certainly allow Hronek to explore his offensive side more given Soucy can cover defensively)

???-Myers

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Loved it until I saw we're giving up another first :S 

My hope is it wouldn't cost that, but Cernak is a pretty impressive top 4 RHD.  Figured it would cost a fair amount to get him out of TBL.

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

My hope is it wouldn't cost that, but Cernak is a pretty impressive top 4 RHD.  Figured it would cost a fair amount to get him out of TBL.

For sure, I think it would cost to get him out and that's probably the price - just tough price to pay haha

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sounds like Zadorov may be a difficult one to re-sign at a cap hit that reflects his value.  If that's the case, I really think we should be doing all we can to weaponize the immense cap space we have this offseason.  My primary targets are VGK and TBL. 

For VGK, I see William Karlsson as expendable. 

For TBL, many have already identified Tanner Jeannot, but the guy I'd really be curious about is Cernak.

During the regular season, he played less minutes than Dumba, and only 6 seconds more ATOI than Raddysh.  After acquiring McDonagh from NAS, I do wonder if TBL would go with the formula that brought them a lot of success in the past... a strong LHD on each pair with a supporting RHD.

Hedman

Sergachev

McDonagh

Moving Cernak's $5.2M cap hit along with Jeannot's cap hit would certainly free up enough to re-sign Stamkos.

I'd put together a really solid package if it meant landing Cernak... maybe even grab Jeannot at the same time to replace Joshua's minutes.

To TBL:

Vasili Podkolzin

Linus Karlsson

1st

To VAN:

Erik Cernak

Tanner Jeannot

Podkolzin could replace Jeannot's minutes at a much cheaper cost.  Karlsson gives them another solid bottom 6 guy too.  A 1st in 2025, but Cernak is only 27yo and signed at his very reasonable cap hit until 2030-31.  Some might say other teams could put together a better package, but remember we are taking on 100% of both Cernak and Jeannot's cap hits.  No retention at all from TBL.

Hughes-Cernak

Soucy-Hronek (this would certainly allow Hronek to explore his offensive side more given Soucy can cover defensively)

???-Myers

I would do it

Jeannot could bounce back

a 4th line of Jeannot Aman/Suter Danton Heinen would be amazing 

Taking it a step further, trade for William Karlsson out of VGK for a 3rd + B Prospect.

Sign Forbort as a UFA.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Karlsson

Jeannot-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Cernak

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Taking it a step further, trade for William Karlsson out of VGK for a 3rd + B Prospect.

Sign Forbort as a UFA.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Jeannot-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Cernak

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

Does that work cap wise?

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Sign Forbort as a UFA.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Jeannot-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Cernak

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

To TBL:

Vasili Podkolzin

Linus Karlsson

1st

To VAN:

Erik Cernak

Tanner Jeannot

IMG_1006.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Zadorov gets done. I think he wants to be here and I can see us going up to 5.25, maybe 5.5 for him with term. 

I maintain that he gets 6 as UFA if he's allowed to walk on July 1st.

I think Zadorov gets done as well. He’s too valuable to lose when he is at his best and he wants to be here. 5x6 or 5.25x6 will get it done. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Not interested in giving up yet another 1st, we need to bolster the prospect pool at the 2025 draft. I'd rather go after someone via UFA. 

I'd maybe bump Podkolzin up to Hoglander and offer them a 2nd, though I do hate how frequently we move out 2nd's. Karlsson is a throw in anyway, maybe dangle Klimovich or Bains. 

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not interested in giving up yet another 1st, we need to bolster the prospect pool at the 2025 draft. I'd rather go after someone via UFA. 

I'd maybe bump Podkolzin up to Hoglander and offer them a 2nd, though I do hate how frequently we move out 2nd's. Karlsson is a throw in anyway, maybe dangle Klimovich or Bains. 

I’d rather re-sign Zadorov and then trade Hronek for picks and prospects and then flip those to Tampa for Cernak and Jeannot. That way we keep our 2025 1st and we don’t lose Big Z for nothing. We can get another RHD in free agency to play with Big Z. 

Hughes      Cernak

Zadorov     Demelo 

Soucy        Myers 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d rather re-sign Zadorov and then trade Hronek for picks and prospects and then flip those to Tampa for Cernak and Jeannot. That way we keep our 2025 1st and we don’t lose Big Z for nothing. We can get another RHD in free agency to play with Big Z. 

Hughes      Cernak

Zadorov     Demelo 

Soucy        Myers 

That would be a better approach, yes. 

I'm loathe to move out any more 1sts. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes      Cernak

Zadorov     Demelo 

Soucy        Myers 

And your suggestion is exactly how PA operates. He’s a very smart GM. What would Cernak and Jeannot cost in picks? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And your suggestion is exactly how PA operates. He’s a very smart GM. What would Cernak and Jeannot cost in picks? 

Trade Hronek and with the assets acquired trade them to Tampa. So probably a 1st and a prospect. Maybe a first and second. 

Utah has no dmen under contract. So maybe they want Hronek and give us several of their picks in return. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1