[Speculation] New Jersey Devils Willing To Trade First-Round Pick

New Jersey Devils Willing To Trade First-Round Pick

June 4th, 2024 at 1:30pm CST • By Brennan McClain

After hiring Sheldon Keefe to take over head coaching duties for the New Jersey Devils, the General Manager, Tom Fitzgerald is now moving on to the next item on his docket for the offseason. Earlier today, Josh Gold-Smith of TheScore reported that Fitzgerald is entertaining moving on from the team’s 10th overall pick in the 2024 NHL Draft to acquire a top-tier goaltender.

Speaking with Mike G. Morreale of the NHL on Monday, Fitzgerald was quoted, “If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I’m listening. I haven’t gotten anything yet, but the more I talk to teams, I say ‘Listen, I’m open to moving No. 10, but it’s going to have to be something (significant)“. If the Devils do end up trading the 10th overall pick it should be a high enough return to acquire the likes of Jacob Markstrom from the Calgary Flames, Juuse Saros from the Nashville Predators, or Linus Ullmark from the Boston Bruins, assuming the Devils can sign one of the latter two to an extension this summer.

Specifically in New Jersey, there is precedent from the organization in trading a top-10 pick for an established goaltender. After making it to the 2012 Stanley Cup Final, the Devils cratered in the 2012-13 lockout-shortened season, earning the ninth overall pick of the 2013 NHL Draft. To soften the blow of the eventual departure of franchise legend Martin Brodeur, New Jersey traded the ninth overall pick (which would be used to select Bo Horvat) to the Vancouver Canucks to acquire Cory Schneider.

Although the Devils only made the playoffs once during Schneider’s seven-year run in the Garden State, the team acquired a 26-year goaltender coming off a .927 save percentage over 30 games in the prior year for a top-10 selection. Factoring in trades for goaltenders over the last several years, the 10th overall pick should satisfy the desired return for all three goaltenders listed.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/new-jersey-devils-willing-to-trade-first-round-pick.html#ref=home

The Vancouver Canucks acquire it, trade up further, and draft Iginla 

We throw the twins into a fountain of youth and finally get to play them alongside Iginla, albeit the wrong Iginla 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The Vancouver Canucks acquire it, trade up further, and draft Iginla 

Tij is honestly one of the guys in this draft class that could play at 18.

ELC Iggy Pop Jr. during our cup window would be unbelievable.

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

Tij is honestly one of the guys in this draft class that could play at 18.

ELC Iggy Pop Jr. during our cup window would be unbelievable.

I really wish we had a 1st with which to draft him, maybe management will surprise 

He's gonna be a stud player like his dad, maybe not a hall of famer like his dad but likely a very good player

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Could you imagine if we traded Hronek for it? 🤣

Schneider >> 9th >> Horvat >> 18th >> Hronek >> 10th

What a wild journey that would be…

Haha that would be wild !

I can’t make sense of why they’d want Hronek though with the dcore they have unless they are trading a dman for Necas or something  like that

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I really wish we had a 1st with which to draft him, maybe management will surprise 

He's gonna be a stud player like his dad, maybe not a hall of famer like his dad but likely a very good player

He's been rocketing up a lot of draft boards.  Could go as high as 5th (apparently hrs mrt either Montreal a number of times) 

The Canucks are in a place where they don't really need that 10th OA pick.  If they got it, they'd just flip it for more immediate help in our lineup.  It's not about picking top 10 anymore.  It's about finishing top 10 in the league.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He's been rocketing up a lot of draft boards.  Could go as high as 5th (apparently hrs mrt either Montreal a number of times) 

I'm kinda hoping the Flames find a way to land him, it'd be weird to see an Iginla elsewhere 

At the same time I'm kinda glad we're not drafting high for once, I just hope we pick in the first round again next draft 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm kinda hoping the Flames find a way to land him, it'd be weird to see an Iginla elsewhere 

At the same time I'm kinda glad we're not drafting high for once, I just hope we pick in the first round again next draft 

There doesn't seem to be much consensus on the draft order past Cellebrini. There's a number of really promising D in the top of the draft. It's going to be really interesting watching the final in person draft unfold in Vegas. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

There doesn't seem to be much consensus on the draft order past Cellebrini. There's a number of really promising D in the top of the draft. It's going to be really interesting watching the final in person draft unfold in Vegas. 

No doubt, there could be some good forwards who drop

Teams are more and more willing to take D high in recent years it seems 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

No doubt, there could be some good forwards who drop

Teams are more and more willing to take D high in recent years it seems 

The cool thing is there's not really a well defined BPA at any given point in the top 10-12. So teams may be able to draft by need and still get the player they deem BPA 

• Cheers 1

Devils Set To Trade #10 Pick To Land Goaltender

Dave Litman Tuesday, June 04, 2024 

Now that they've got their new head coach in place in Sheldon Keefe, the most imminent order of business for the New Jersey Devils this offseason is to land themselves a No. 1 goaltender. GM Tom Fitzgerald makes no bones about it, and admitted to nhl.com that he's open to trading the No. 10 pick in this month's NHL Draft if it'll help facilitate that goal. 

“Does the No. 10 pick get you that type of player that you can add to the group. It's easy to say, 'Go get so-and-so and then you build from there.' But there are some guys who have different contracts so how are those players going to reprice at. There's a lot to it, but, yes, the focus is on finding that goaltender.”

The top three candidates are as follows, with current contract status:

Jacob Markstrom, Calgary Flames, two years left, $6 million AAV

Juuse Saros, Nashville Predators, one year left, $5 million

Linus Ullmark, Boston Bruins, one year left, $5 million

"I'm in the goalie market talking to teams," added Fitzgerald, "but there's a 'but' and the 'but' is how do we want to build our team? We'd like to add up front, we'd like to add on the back end, so what are those pieces going to cost us. With the goaltending, what's that going to cost us?"

With Jake Allen set as the backup, any of those three would make the Devils' situation between the pipes one of the top ones in the league. 

The Devils are in win-now mode, and Fitzgerald says the number 10 pick is a valuable asset in getting to where they want to be. 

"At the end of the day, we're in a position now versus two years ago when we drafted (defenseman) Simon Nemec (No. 2 in the 2022 NHL Draft) where if we can find the right piece to help us get to where we want to go today, tomorrow and wherever the controllable future is for that player, great," Fitzgerald said. "That's the mindset versus 'Great, we have a top-10 pick and this kid is going to be fantastic when he's 25 years old'."

In other words, the Devils clearly don't have that long to wait, so expect to see that pick on the move by Draft Night.  

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/devils-set-to-trade-10-pick-to-land.html

Posted (edited)

Demko and Petey

+ Mikheyev for 

J Hughs, L Hughs, Jake Allen + 10th OA

We get all three Hughes brothers. Quinn takes a team friendly deal to keep them all together and we free up some cap. We let Hronek get picked off and reap some great picks. Use a pick to pair with the 10 oa and pick up Iggy. Then use freed up cap. to sign RD and size winger.

Edited by old guy