Luke Gazdic Rant against Canucks and Twitter Trolls

Shekky

The problem that Gazdic is facing is the optics of it all. 

HNIC is all in on the "Bringing the cup back to Canada" messaging.

"Canadians from coast to coast, get behind the last Canadian team in the playoffs -- and here's the guy who just told one of those coasts to eat shit to entertain you between periods."

He can sling mud all the live long day on Edmonton sports shows and nobody would really care but not on HNIC.

He might be able to get away with an on air apology to do the finals but I feel like him staying long term is a little too awkward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I liked Jennifer Botterelli better; low-key and uniquely impartial.  Maybe something came up for her

and they had to get a temp. Gazdic looked good at face value, but Jennifer will return in the fall.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Luke puts the dick in Gazdic.

As I pointed out somewhere else, he has less points in his entire career than Jacob Markstrom in his past 3 years.

"Expert"? More like Oiler fanboy. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I really don’t care about social media so don’t care about the secondary outrage from it. 
I have no problem having Hrudey cheering for Calgary, Gazdic for Edmonton, Bieksa for Van. It makes for a fun banter and it is a better representation of fandom.   Everyone is required to cheer for Toronto and Montreal, that is the nature of the media. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s all corporate sponsors pushing McDavid down our throats that’s all it is. Seems that’s all they serve now. Zero dignity left in sports broadcasts in Canada.

I’m honestly thinking about cancelling cable and watching the games in other ways. 

Do you happen to know if you get the NHL package would the games have the Sportsnet panel or an NHL network panel?

That's just it. Every commercial is about 97. The NHL knows how to make money and it is starting to really stink.

Their elected poster boys always succeed at some point. It is almost comparable to wrestling. 

I just can't believe fans are dumb enough to get caught up in this mess. The back and forth negative comments drive ratings. You want to make it sting? Turn it off.

• Cheers 1

Friedman said Gazdic is going to be a star.  He didn't make any apologies for him or his comments. Called him his teammate.

Pretty clear that Friedman is putting Gazdic ahead of Vancouver fans.

Hmm.  Defund CBC? 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I don't take anything this guys says with anything but a grain of salt. I mean cmon, the guy spent his entire career getting punched in the damn head.

Yeah, Gazdic was the resident Edmonton tough guy for a few years.

A tough guy who wore a face shield ( the wearing of face shields was mandatory for players with less than 25 games starting in the 2013/2014 season).

In other words....Gazdic was your typical pusillanimous, face shield wearing, pseudo tough guy.

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Friedman said Gazdic is going to be a star.  He didn't make any apologies for him or his comments. Called him his teammate.

Pretty clear that Friedman is putting Gazdic ahead of Vancouver fans.

Hmm.  Defund CBC? 

Unfortunately it’s Roger’s now which has a stranglehold on media and naming rights in this country.

All they see is dollar signs around McDavid and Matthews so that’s all we’ll get sold for the next 10 years.

Might as well not even cover the other teams anymore. Not enough money to be worth their time apparently.

10 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Yeah, Gazdic was the resident Edmonton tough guy for a few years.

A tough guy who wore a face shield ( the wearing of face shields was mandatory for players with less than 25 games starting in the 2013/2014 season).

In other words....Gazdic was your typical pusillanimous, face shield wearing, pseudo tough guy.

yea haha and I HATE half shields.....

I think we all agree that there's no room for any kind of hate and disgusting speech towards anyone. Whether they are in the public eye or not. But he really shot himself in the foot by taking a shot at the Canucks specifically. Say what you will about Bieksa, but he is as close to neutral as you can get as an analyst. Gazdic really needed to handle that better. We'll see what happens. Don Cherry survived many years being a wild homer saying out of pocket stuff. Gazdic being a Oilers homer won't cost him his job, and lets not pretend they'll cook him for hating Vancouver. Lol. Friedman defending him is whatever, like I said. HNIC isn't gonna punish this guy for hating Vancouver. They'll keep the Edmonton homers and go about business as usual.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I really don’t care about social media so don’t care about the secondary outrage from it. 
I have no problem having Hrudey cheering for Calgary, Gazdic for Edmonton, Bieksa for Van. It makes for a fun banter and it is a better representation of fandom.   Everyone is required to cheer for Toronto and Montreal, that is the nature of the media. 

See that right there is the problem… Hrudey is the biggest Oilers homer ever but we don’t hear about it. He lives in Calgary and does the broadcast but the Oilers are his thing.

Should be grounds for immediate termination of employment, but Sportsnet has a long history of allowing their commentators to disgrace the country with their lack of professionalism.  MacLean even used HNIC as a platform to criminally slander Burrows.  There is no excuse for allowing this piece of trash to get another minute of airtime on a national broadcast.

• Vintage 3

Hahahaha 

Grabsdic thinks people care what an irrelevant hack ex soiler thinks. 

Now if he had oh say an award of some  kind recognizing his  accomplishments say in broadcasting. 

Im  not talking about when the oilers claimed him off waivers. Or is illustrious career as a fringe  4th line plug Playing for both Alberta shit holes. 

18 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I think we all agree that there's no room for any kind of hate and disgusting speech towards anyone. Whether they are in the public eye or not. But he really shot himself in the foot by taking a shot at the Canucks specifically. Say what you will about Bieksa, but he is as close to neutral as you can get as an analyst. Gazdic really needed to handle that better. We'll see what happens. Don Cherry survived many years being a wild homer saying out of pocket stuff. Gazdic being a Oilers homer won't cost him his job, and lets not pretend they'll cook him for hating Vancouver. Lol. Friedman defending him is whatever, like I said. HNIC isn't gonna punish this guy for hating Vancouver. They'll keep the Edmonton homers and go about business as usual.

The network was fining him?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The network was fining him?

Yeah, that definitely took out of pocket to a pretty hard extreme. When it becomes racist it's a bit further than just being out of pocket. Pretty sure he was fired or let go or whatever around then. Gazdic hasn't said anything racist, yet.

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah, that definitely took out of pocket to a pretty hard extreme. When it becomes racist it's a bit further than just being out of pocket. Pretty sure he was fired or let go or whatever around then. Gazdic hasn't said anything racist, yet.

I'm still confused as to what you mean.  Was there some kind of fine he had to pay?