Luke Gazdic Rant against Canucks and Twitter Trolls

Shekky

The issue here is simple.

Gaz'dick used the 1% of idiots to justify attacking the 99% of fans who are not idiots. He also used the 1% to attack the whole organization, which is 100% not a joke of an organization.

He messed up real bad. 

In reality though nothing will happen. As an example, HNIC had Biz on the broadcast a few times. Look at his track record on Spittin Chiclets. He has said dozens of things that make him controversial for national television, but they dont care. He has been sexist, misogynistic, etc. But he still has a job on TNT and HNIC.

What we're learning from social media these days is that anyone can say whatever they want with immunity, unless the comments is racist or attacks the pride community. Then its automatic cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, NoHeart said:

If someone is entertaining like Whit for example I’m all for it. I see nothing wrong with shit taking other teams on a platform. It makes it exciting. I just don’t love Luke’s tone and he just doesn’t have the charisma. I get that he is a national broadcaster and shouldn’t exhibit bias but even so, his biggest problem is that he sucks. 

Whit's comments during the playoffs this year is 100% the reason I wont listen to Chiclets anymore. He spews just dribble garbage. 

Posted (edited)

Luke Gadzic being a fanboy of the Oilers, not being biased with his takes, I don't really have a problem with. We should be used to it already on a national stage with Cherry, McClean being Leafs-centric from way back. I agree with everyone here that when your in HNIC, a media personality should at least be impartial but its tough because of allegiances to a team since they probably played for a certain team, live there or what not. Im really glad Bieksa is in HNIC because he has a slight bias towards our team but hes made it well known, hes was and still is a Canuck.

Our main issue here is Gadzic calling this team and us Canucks fans losers. Like mentioned in nauseum, he works for HNIC, not Hockey Night in Edmonton. He's a rep of Rogers and he's way over the edge on that one. Critiquing the team is one thing, personal insults towards the organization, the fans is another matter and we should be very pissed.

Calling this team losers and a joke is an insult to this organization from Top to bottom, whether we are a division winning team, or a lottery team. Players from Hughes Miller, to Bains or Bloom and everyone in between work their asses off in the off season to wear or hope to wear the Canucks crest on their chest. Nobody wants their efforts to be called in vain because they are in a "joke of organization". Lets see if Gadzic can say the same thing what he said about the team to JT Millers face. Hell, lets see him try to say to Rick Tocchet. Sorry, Gadzic vs Tocchet in a scrap, coach will make quick work of him, with one arm tied behind his back.

Is there a reason why Edmonton fans still hate on us fans over here? They are in the finals, and we're living rent free in their heads. Whether they win the cup or not ( Im rooting Panthers on this one), who cares, bottom line is Edmonton fans still live in Edmonton which is a 3rd rate city, with 3rd rate citizens. I guess insulting us is a new way of killing time for them since they are bored with fornicating with family members and farm animals. Im not sure you've guys been to Edmonton, but its a boring city, theres a reason why they don't get events like the Olympics, the World cup. Is Taylor Swift going there? exactly. They can insult us all they want, fact is when theres a big deal happening, they fly to VANCOUVER LOL.

Show of hands if anybody making tourist plans to Edmonton? I sure as hell know theres a lot more people there visiting our city, and not just for family purposes

Back to Luke Gadzic. If we really want a protest on Luke Gadzic, make it known our feelings towards him, if hes in an establishment in Vancouver, don't serve him. If wants to buy beer, or tampons for himself, don't tend to him. Make signs during CBC broadcasts. Make it known that he's not welcome here. I for one will be changing channel or turning off the podcast if Gadzic comes on. I didn't find his takes all that interesting anyway to begin with

Edited by filthy animal

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The least talented and most biased analyst on Sportsnet's payroll wants to take public shots at a huge percentage of Sportsnet’s viewership. Not a good look for the network. 

Has anybody even seen Luke Gadzic play? The guy was a human punching bag on the ice whenever he got his 3 minute of ice time per game. And he' got the gall to insult PK Subban? At least Hrudey, Simpson, Bieksa, all had lengthy careers and were regulars on the ice. Absolutely loved Hrudey during his Kings days

Posted (edited)

Gadzik basically insulted the entire Canucks organization, including past players. He needs to get off social media if he can't handle it.

I'm not going to buy some fake apology that the network forces him to make.  The guy is a loose nut and shouldn't be allowed to work NHL games. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Keslers Ghost said:

This is going to be a very unpopular take but I feel a bit bad for the guy. Twitter is toxic and he snapped in a very public and embarrassing way and has totally undermined his credibility which should not bode well for his career.

It may be that he apologizes on HNIC and that will be that, but I'm predicting he releases a written statement and then Ron will tell some folksy story on HNIC that ties in with people making mistakes and being better because of it.

At the end of the day, if he isn't fired than those who want blood can rest assured that he clearly was deeply affected and struggling enough mentally to go on a podcast and act that childishly. His points were so emotional and obviously unsubstantiated, if he really meant every word its pretty easy to shrug it off (though I don't think he did). It's also only going to get worse for him now.

The real play would be for Canucks fans to show an outpouring of support, not for his comments, but on mental health terms. Not that we need him, but the guy would become an allie for life, not to mention it would be great example of the real Canucks fans Elliotte was talking about.

You turning this into a mental health issue is frankly absurd. 

Unless you mean those Twits on Xcrement.  I'm sure some of them actually do suffer from mental illness.  If Gazdic actually is struggling that much with his own mental health he should never have applied in the first place for the panel, or been hired by Rogers. This is more likely just an emotionally immature and arrogant individual who thought he was now "someone" after his new gig and thought he had this new power of celebrity and could finally spew back what he had been thinking probably for years already.

Don't give him that kind of easy cover.  He made a mistake as a professional.  Calling out the whole team as being a joke because he couldn't handle his own emotions from a few witty cruel tweets from fans of that hockey team. A team he's probably never liked, being a die hard Oilers ex player and fan. Knowing, or at least he should have known, that there are way more Canucks fans who aren't the trolls who were owning him on Twitter.  Now he's lost the rest of us. Nice job

At the end of the Donnie and Dhali podcast, Donny mentions that even though they thought their first and only piece with him went well (I listened to it and it seemed fine, if a little boring and humourless).  Apparently he called back after expressing his dissatisfaction with some aspect of how they had him on.  He's a douche bag. A highly sensitive douche bag who gets triggered very easily. Too easily to be a national broadcaster.

I don't think your noble idea of showing him with love, understanding, and forgiveness even before he even apologizes  will help at all.  He sounds like the kind of person who will take it as a "win" for him, and won't shed a tear about it.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)

Hopefully this concern about what a cockbag like Gadsack thinks of the team dies down, much like the concern about what Ryan Whitney said eventually died down. Their input is only as valid as one believes it to be. Personally, I could care less what they think.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

You could literally throw a rock in any other province other than Alberia (intentional typo) and get a better analyst. 

If can throw a rock into another province, you have a gift that very few, if any, have. 

• Tank 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If can throw a rock into another province, you have a gift that very few, if any, have. 

Easy when you live in northeastern BC... :hurhur:

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It's called "taking the high road"....

And I disagree with your assertion. I think it would demonstrate to him that he has mischaracterized the fanbase because of some Twitter trolls.

is he a teenager? that seems like something that doesn't need explaining to an adult. 

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is he a teenager? that seems like something that doesn't need explaining to an adult. 

I dunno....I guess after over 50 years of being a Canucks fan, I'm getting a bit tired of people thinking we're shit fanbase. I thought maybe we might take the high road for once and maybe show Gadzic that he's wrong about us....

I guess I'm asking too much.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

You turning this into a mental health issue is frankly absurd. 

Unless you mean those Twits on Xcrement.  I'm sure some of them actually do suffer from mental illness.  If Gazdic actually is struggling that much with his own mental health he should never have applied in the first place for the panel, or been hired by Rogers. This is more likely just an emotionally immature and arrogant individual who thought he was now "someone" after his new gig and thought he had this new power of celebrity and could finally spew back what he had been thinking probably for years already.

Don't give him that kind of easy cover.  He made a mistake as a professional.  Calling out the whole team as being a joke because he couldn't handle his own emotions from a few witty cruel tweets from fans of that hockey team. A team he's probably never liked, being a die hard Oilers ex player and fan. Knowing, or at least he should have known, that there are way more Canucks fans who aren't the trolls who were owning him on Twitter.  Now he's lost the rest of us. Nice job

At the end of the Donnie and Dhali podcast, Donny mentions that even though they thought their first and only piece with him went well (I listened to it and it seemed fine, if a little boring and humourless).  Apparently he called back after expressing his dissatisfaction with some aspect of how they had him on.  He's a douche bag. A highly sensitive douche bag who gets triggered very easily. Too easily to be a national broadcaster.

I don't think your noble idea of showing him with love, understanding, and forgiveness even before he even apologizes  will help at all.  He sounds like the kind of person who will take it as a "win" for him, and won't shed a tear about it.

My original points were 1) I don’t agree with his comments 2) I don’t care what he thinks 3) he may be mentally unwell from the abuse 4) it would reflect well on the fan base if instead of just ripping him we said “you sounded very defensive and absurd when you reacted to the trolling, are you ok?” -

I think that’s far more impactful, it shows his comments are obviously unfounded and have not been taken seriously, do not have the effect he was seeking, and that our fan base has some class in responding to an obvious below the belt punch. If he doesn’t apologize the first thing Gazdic supporters (particularly SN media) are going to say is “well, that was beyond the call BUT he was justified in dragging the fans and they deserve to be taken down a peg” 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Keslers Ghost said:

My original points were 1) I don’t agree with his comments 2) I don’t care what he thinks 3) he may be mentally unwell from the abuse 4) it would reflect well on the fan base if instead of just ripping him we said “you sounded very defensive and absurd when you reacted to the trolling, are you ok?” -

I think that’s far more impactful, it shows his comments are obviously unfounded and have not been taken seriously, do not have the effect he was seeking, and that our fan base has some class in responding to an obvious below the belt punch. If he doesn’t apologize the first thing Gazdic supporters (particularly SN media) are going to say is “well, that was beyond the call BUT he was justified in dragging the fans and they deserve to be taken down a peg” 

Let me remind you what happened after the 2011 riot. 

All media reported was the riot and not the cleanup from the so called 'true fans' that helped clean the whole street up the following day. 

Do you honestly think the media is gonna even bother reporting any good gester. They will say that last part no matter what happens. Heck it has already started. 

This ain't an ideal world. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Let me remind you what happened after the 2011 riot. 

All media reported was the riot and not the cleanup from the so called 'true fans' that helped clean the whole street up the following day. 

Do you honestly think the media is gonna even bother reporting any good gester. They will say that last part no matter what happens. Heck it has already started. 

This ain't an ideal world. 

We didn’t have Bieksa on the HNIC panel in 2011. You think he’s going to take this sitting down? 

Posted (edited)

Don't you think that part of this reflects poorly on us as a fanbase?   I do.   It's not like he's much different then say Craig Simpson (homer), other then he does twitter.   Which is stupid to begin with. 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't you think that part of this reflects poorly on us as a fanbase?   I do.   It's not like he's much different then say Craig Simpson (homer), other then he does twitter.   Which is stupid to begin with. 

why are any of us reasonable fans responsible for what the morons on twitter do? because we apparently  like the same team? 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

why are any of us reasonable fans responsible for what the morons on twitter do? because we apparel like the same team? 

We aren't.   And the same goes for being overly reactive to Gadzic's upset over this.   All it does is bring attention to it.    Feeding the asswipes that i'd rather not be associated with as a fan.  It just isn't worth it.     

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Honest question... could Canucks Twitter be worse than other teams' fanbases? Like is it uniquely awful? Or do we just have a much larger fanbase so that there are more idiots in total, but the percentage of idiots is the same as any other team?

For reference, I am not on Twitter or X or whatever they want to call it and only see Tweets about the team when they are posted on these forums.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I've never been on Twitter.  I have however had seasons tickets or parts therof for the Canucks for the best part of 30 years. That's a major investment in the team.  I have been a fan of the club through thick and thin since they started and I was a kid.

My question.  Where in Gadzic's rant am I represented? Am to be blamed and lumped in with the people he in his mind  is arguing with online?

I think the guy should be more professional than he is. He doesn't speak for me. Not impressed by this joker.

• Cheers 1