Luke Gazdic Rant against Canucks and Twitter Trolls

Shekky

11 hours ago, Darius said:

How can someone even give feedback to sportsnet about their hockey coverage.  All I’ve ever been able to find is a snail mail address but my typewriter is broken. 

Best way is to not give them the ratings. Money talks. If they see somehow ratings in BC and the lower mainland drops off a cliff they will notice. 

Stream the games if you want to watch. Ain't hard these days to find a stream online. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Sportsnet responds. 

Sportsnet has kept mum about Gazdic’s comments to date, but they did respond to the fan’s email, sent to their customer support inbox.

“Luke is relatively new to broadcasting on the national stage, and having millions of people watching him every night comes with an elevated level of scrutiny. As Luke was preparing to appear on the podcast, he received vile, personal attacks toward himself and his family on social media. The content of these social comments was completely unacceptable and crossed a line,” the unsigned response read.

“Luke’s response on the podcast was an emotional one and he made the mistake of taking what some people said to him online and generalized about the entire Canucks fan base. He understands his conduct was inappropriate and we are confident it won’t happen again.”

A Sportsnet spokesperson confirmed that was an official network response.

Gazdic made regular appearances during the regular season on Canucks regional telecasts as well, as an in-game studio analyst during intermissions.

Whether he’ll continue in that role next season isn’t known.

“We’ll share our regional coverage plans before the start of next season,” Sportsnet spokesperson Jason Jackson replied in an email on Thursday in response to a question whether Gazdic will appear on Canucks regional telecasts in 2024-25.

Not nearly good enough.  Sad that they're making excuses for his misconduct and aren't taking the position that allowing this piece of shit to disgrace the country is completely unacceptable.  Bottom line is that he simply needs to be fired for this. 

Will be streaming going forward so at least I'm not contributing towards preventing Gazdic from starving.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not nearly good enough.  Sad that they're making excuses for his misconduct and aren't taking the position that allowing this piece of shit to disgrace the country is completely unacceptable.  Bottom line is that he simply needs to be fired for this. 

Will be streaming going forward so at least I'm not contributing towards preventing Gazdic from starving.

The main point in that response is it did not even hint remorse or indicate Gazdic took actions to remedy the issue. 

This is pure PR damage control at this point. 

I am lucky I'm in the US and can ignore SN completely. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why are people still so butthurt about this?

Because he has a platform to say his peace, and folks doesn't...

Wonder how the reaction had been, had Bieksa said it about Oilers?

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Because he has a platform to say his peace, and folks doesn't...

Wonder how the reaction had been, had Bieksa said it about Oilers?

It's a whole lot of nothing. Canucks fans take things other people say about them far too seriously. Perhaps, if some people who identify as Canucks fans didn't react so much to things said about their team, those who're looking to rile them up wouldn't have so much ammunition.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Canucks: Sportsnet responds to analyst Luke Gazdic's anti-Canucks rant

Days after one of Sportsnet’s national panelists caused an uproar among Canucks fans, the NHL’s lead Canadian broadcaster has finally shared a comment about Luke Gazdic’s comments.

A Canucks fan reported to the Donnie and Dhali show on CHEK-TV that they’d emailed the broadcaster about Gazdic’s comments on the ON Everyday podcast, where the Sportsnet analyst ripped on Canucks fans and the team itself. His comments were in response to a flurry of heated, sometimes highly inappropriate, criticism of his work on the Sportsnet panel during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Gazdic, a former Oilers player, was accused by many Canucks fans of having a bias toward the Oilers in his analysis.

“Canucks Twitter, you’re an absolute joke, your team’s a joke, you’re a bunch of losers. So, the Oilers are going to the Stanley Cup Finals, and I hope you guys are having fun watching it on TV and watching me on the panel, because you guys are not there. Have fun with your little whining tweets,” Gazdic told the Oilers-focused podcast.

He said he received all kinds of hateful direct messages on both Instagram and Twitter.

“It’s the most garbage gibberish trash I’ve ever seen. Canucks Twitter, you are an absolute joke. Your team’s a joke. You’re a bunch of losers,” he added.

Sportsnet has kept mum about Gazdic’s comments to date, but they did respond to the fan’s email, sent to their customer support inbox.

“Luke is relatively new to broadcasting on the national stage, and having millions of people watching him every night comes with an elevated level of scrutiny. As Luke was preparing to appear on the podcast, he received vile, personal attacks toward himself and his family on social media. The content of these social comments was completely unacceptable and crossed a line,” the unsigned response read.

“Luke’s response on the podcast was an emotional one and he made the mistake of taking what some people said to him online and generalized about the entire Canucks fan base. He understands his conduct was inappropriate and we are confident it won’t happen again.”

Gazdic made regular appearances during the regular season on Canucks regional telecasts as well, as an in-game studio analyst during intermissions.

“We’ll share our regional coverage plans before the start of next season,” Sportsnet spokesperson Jason Jackson replied in an email on Thursday in response to a question whether Gazdic will appear on Canucks regional telecasts in 2024-25.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

https://apple.news/Am4KH0mobR3C3YkkMzA7WhQ

• Thanks 1

Sorry Luke. You’ve worn out your welcome. Then again, I’m sure Sportsnet would embrace the drama as it *might* mean a larger viewership and sensationalism sells. Hope not.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Canucks: Sportsnet responds to analyst Luke Gazdic's anti-Canucks rant

Days after one of Sportsnet’s national panelists caused an uproar among Canucks fans, the NHL’s lead Canadian broadcaster has finally shared a comment about Luke Gazdic’s comments.

A Canucks fan reported to the Donnie and Dhali show on CHEK-TV that they’d emailed the broadcaster about Gazdic’s comments on the ON Everyday podcast, where the Sportsnet analyst ripped on Canucks fans and the team itself. His comments were in response to a flurry of heated, sometimes highly inappropriate, criticism of his work on the Sportsnet panel during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Gazdic, a former Oilers player, was accused by many Canucks fans of having a bias toward the Oilers in his analysis.

“Canucks Twitter, you’re an absolute joke, your team’s a joke, you’re a bunch of losers. So, the Oilers are going to the Stanley Cup Finals, and I hope you guys are having fun watching it on TV and watching me on the panel, because you guys are not there. Have fun with your little whining tweets,” Gazdic told the Oilers-focused podcast.

He said he received all kinds of hateful direct messages on both Instagram and Twitter.

“It’s the most garbage gibberish trash I’ve ever seen. Canucks Twitter, you are an absolute joke. Your team’s a joke. You’re a bunch of losers,” he added.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

https://apple.news/Am4KH0mobR3C3YkkMzA7WhQ

F this loser Coiler. He should never do national games. Ragers shouldn’t hire such inexperienced people. The national broadcaster is supposed to be the pinnacle of success. Fire him. Hire people who have worked their way up. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

not sure if it was mentioned but apparently he wasn't scheduled to be on the broadcast beyond the Dallas series.

Edited by Shekky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why are people still so butthurt about this?

It's not really that we're butt hurt. It's summer, there's not much happening and it's a discussion point, that's all.

Sportsnet made a bunch of excuses for their guy but forgot one thing....he gets paid to talk, fans don't. It's his job and if that's his stance, I don't want him anywhere near our team. GTFO

Poor Luke got some vile comments. Our school is closing down and parents are PISSED and venting all over the place. I have to remain professional despite them being angry and very rude in some instances. Because it's my job and I do NOT let that impact how I present myself or represent my company. Stand in there and deliver service. We don't have to absorb the sh and a good employee will just continue to their job and let it bounce off them. Not fire back like a hack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's a whole lot of nothing. Canucks fans take things other people say about them far too seriously. Perhaps, if some people who identify as Canucks fans didn't react so much to things said about their team, those who're looking to rile them up wouldn't have so much ammunition.

Or, we can do it our way and speak out. 

Remember, you don't have to participate...it's a choice. This idiot is taking some heat and it's well deserved. We don't have to "behave" a certain way so people like us....f them if they don't. We support our team and that's ok. "You're a bunch of losers?" I pay good $$ for Sportsnet/cable and I certainly don't want to hear that I'm a loser or I'll rethink that.

It's not like we just dredged this up....there was a response and it was pathetic so we're responding to that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It doesn’t change the fact that a certain segment of Canucks fans tend to overreact to criticism.

Best thing to do? Don’t bother to react. These chirpers want that. They want the venom so that they can confirm in their minds what they already believe. It’s not about trying to appease people who’re critical of the team or fans. It’s more so about giving twerps like Gadzic, Whitney and others the attention they deserve……which is none. 

Anyone with an iota of sense knows how solid Canucks fans are.

How they paid tribute to Bruce in his last game. How they supported players with full-throated chants. How they showed and broke the decibel barrier during the playoffs and even after the team lost Game 7, the fans stood and cheered in appreciation. 

Most Canucks fans don’t need to lower themselves to the depths of the aforementioned fuckheads in Whitney and Gadzic nor even think too much about their negligible impact said dicksmacks have on the team or its fandom. 

Gazdic reacted in much the same way as you're describing: overreacting to criticism and/or reactions. So who's right and who's wrong at that point? "Your team sucks" is not criticism (or at least not constructive criticism), it's a reaction.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem is, Gazdic reacted in much the same way as you're describing: overreacting to criticism and/or reactions. So who's right and who's wrong at that point? "Your team sucks" is not criticism (or at least not constructive criticism), it's a reaction.

And this is a guy who, in a roundabout way, I/we pay his salary for.

So there is a big difference....and we can slag on a guy who has no clue. 

If we're a bunch of losers here, why do so many Alberta transplants end up here? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

And this is a guy who, in a roundabout way, I/we pay his salary for.

So there is a big difference....and we can slag on a guy who has no clue. 

If we're a bunch of losers here, why do so many Alberta transplants end up here? 

I mean it goes back and forth when it comes to people moving to be fair. lol

I think the whole thing is a sour note when it comes to the rivalry that's between the 2 teams. He could have easily responded in an adult manner, but he chose not to. Instead, we have someone who should be a professional show a side that shouldn't have been shown in the first place.