Luke Gazdic Rant against Canucks and Twitter Trolls

Shekky

6 hours ago, Darius said:

He works for a national sports broadcaster where there needs to be professionalism and at least the illusion of objectivity.  IMHO he disqualified himself from any future regional broadcasts.  I dont know how they can bring him back and expect us as one of the largest markets in the country to take him seriously.  Even if he apologizes ill think of him as the idiot that couldnt handle high school level insults on Twitter and outed himself as the oiler ass kisser that he is.

appreciate the phrase..my new go to phrase "oiler ass kisser"

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Darius said:

He works for a national sports broadcaster where there needs to be professionalism and at least the illusion of objectivity.  IMHO he disqualified himself from any future regional broadcasts.  I dont know how they can bring him back and expect us as one of the largest markets in the country to take him seriously.  Even if he apologizes I’ll greed. think of him as the idiot that couldnt handle high school level insults on Twitter and outed himself as the oiler ass kisser that he is.

Agreed. Even Bieksa is objective to the point where some on here have turned on him. Hrudey is the same way. Gazdic literally called out the Canucks team and said we are a joke. How can anyone be on a national broadcast when they are caught ripping another team, especially a Canadian one?  

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

This is going to be a very unpopular take but I feel a bit bad for the guy. Twitter is toxic and he snapped in a very public and embarrassing way and has totally undermined his credibility which should not bode well for his career.

It may be that he apologizes on HNIC and that will be that, but I'm predicting he releases a written statement and then Ron will tell some folksy story on HNIC that ties in with people making mistakes and being better because of it.

At the end of the day, if he isn't fired than those who want blood can rest assured that he clearly was deeply affected and struggling enough mentally to go on a podcast and act that childishly. His points were so emotional and obviously unsubstantiated, if he really meant every word its pretty easy to shrug it off (though I don't think he did). It's also only going to get worse for him now.

The real play would be for Canucks fans to show an outpouring of support, not for his comments, but on mental health terms. Not that we need him, but the guy would become an allie for life, not to mention it would be great example of the real Canucks fans Elliotte was talking about.

Edited by Keslers Ghost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s all corporate sponsors pushing McDavid down our throats that’s all it is. Seems that’s all they serve now. Zero dignity left in sports broadcasts in Canada.

I’m honestly thinking about cancelling cable and watching the games in other ways. 

Do you happen to know if you get the NHL package would the games have the Sportsnet panel or an NHL network panel?

When I had NHL Network it was usually home announcers for home games, and the full HNIC line up on Saturdays and the playoffs (but back in 2009 I think it was NBC that took over for the Finals).

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Keslers Ghost said:

The real play would be for Canucks fans to show an outpouring of support, not for his comments, but on mental health terms. 

Being a douche is not a mental health issue. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Being a douche is not a mental health issue. 

That's a huge simplification. I doubt you'd remain professional if people were mercilessly taunting you day and night with the most vile shit imaginable. I don't think it should come as a surprise that someone would act like a "douche" when they are mentally struggling, and reacting in a way that could clearly jeopardize his career does not read like the actions of a confident public figure.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Keslers Ghost said:

That's a huge simplification. I doubt you'd remain professional if people were mercilessly taunting you day and night with the most vile shit imaginable. I don't think it should come as a surprise that someone would act like a "douche" when they are mentally struggling, and reacting in a way that could clearly jeopardize his career does not read like the actions of a confident public figure.

If it's that much of a problem, he can always step away from the social media.  Disgracing the country with his misconduct is in no way a reasonable solution.  Making excuses for this worthless piece of shit is insulting to those with genuine mental health issues.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If it's that much of a problem, he can always step away from the social media.  Disgracing the country with his misconduct is in no way a reasonable solution.  Making excuses for this worthless piece of shit is insulting to those with genuine mental health issues.

Agree that he should have stepped away, but the fact that he didn't and doubled down only proves my point that he is not showing signs of mental wellness, in the very least because he is jeopardizing his pay ticket. I never said what he did was a "reasonable solution", and I would hardly call what he said "disgracing the country". He's a hockey analyst not a politician. Tabling a discussion about someone's potential mental health struggles in reaction to a very bizarre and pathetic outburst is not insulting to those with "genuine health issues", it's normalizing the conversation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Are the Canucks Haunting the hockey world? They playoff ghosts or something? Both times the Canucks last made the playoffs they get eliminated in game 7 of the second round and after the conference finals we are still a discussion point?

Peter DeBoer was talking about Demko when Vegas couldn’t score goals against Dallas. 
Now this so called impartial professional analyst on national TV is getting mentally dusted by Canuck twitter? Seriously why the hell do you care what fans of a team you beat a round ago have to say, it’s your job to be above the noise.

Don’t care if Friedman thinks he’s going to be a star, in my eyes he blew it and the writing is on the wall. He will have a cup of coffee on the panel as he did in the NHL.

You can have a say about the wide variety of characters that exist within the Canuck fanbase. But don’t you ever say shit about the team being a joke organization. The actual Brand never did squat to you. Coming from an unbiased voice that is required for the job to represent coast to coast, you done fucked it up Luke. I hope this costs you your job. You have zero credibility as a impartial panelist. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s all corporate sponsors pushing McDavid down our throats that’s all it is. Seems that’s all they serve now. Zero dignity left in sports broadcasts in Canada.

I’m honestly thinking about cancelling cable and watching the games in other ways. 

Do you happen to know if you get the NHL package would the games have the Sportsnet panel or an NHL network panel?

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

yep im looking at that too. 

tbh no idea

Usually get one home regional sportsnet feed and an away espn/local visitor feed. Every once in a blue moon you only get one away feed and (blah 🤮) national feeds pop up like usual. You guys would get the Pacific feed all the time but when the Coilers and Lames play Canucks they think Saskatchewan is in Alberta or something 🤮🤮🤮

I've had the package for years. Super happy with service.

So you could switch over and listen to the other teams/American take. It's honestly not bad and quite refreshing sometimes.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Keslers Ghost said:

This is going to be a very unpopular take but I feel a bit bad for the guy. Twitter is toxic and he snapped in a very public and embarrassing way and has totally undermined his credibility which should not bode well for his career.

It may be that he apologizes on HNIC and that will be that, but I'm predicting he releases a written statement and then Ron will tell some folksy story on HNIC that ties in with people making mistakes and being better because of it.

At the end of the day, if he isn't fired than those who want blood can rest assured that he clearly was deeply affected and struggling enough mentally to go on a podcast and act that childishly. His points were so emotional and obviously unsubstantiated, if he really meant every word its pretty easy to shrug it off (though I don't think he did). It's also only going to get worse for him now.

The real play would be for Canucks fans to show an outpouring of support, not for his comments, but on mental health terms. Not that we need him, but the guy would become an allie for life, not to mention it would be great example of the real Canucks fans Elliotte was talking about.

Any support and questions on if he should keep his job is entirely dependent on what he does next. He needs to apologize in writing in an open letter to Canucks organization and on hnic if he is allowed back on at the very least.

It has already been over a day after the shit storm and it is silent cricket from him. He is running out of time to salvage the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keslers Ghost said:

Agree that he should have stepped away, but the fact that he didn't and doubled down only proves my point that he is not showing signs of mental wellness, in the very least because he is jeopardizing his pay ticket. I never said what he did was a "reasonable solution", and I would hardly call what he said "disgracing the country". He's a hockey analyst not a politician. Tabling a discussion about someone's potential mental health struggles in reaction to a very bizarre and pathetic outburst is not insulting to those with "genuine health issues", it's normalizing the conversation.

It’s not a thread without @King Heffy tossing out the usual “disgrace” and “lack of professionalism” remarks. They just happen to make at least a little bit of sense this time. 

Gazdic never would have said this about the Canucks if it wasn’t for something that Benning/Gillis did/didn’t do! Let’s get all the hills to die on going.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

It’s not a thread without @King Heffy tossing out the usual “disgrace” and “lack of professionalism” remarks. They just happen to make at least a little bit of sense this time. 

Gazdic never would have said this about the Canucks if it wasn’t for something that Benning/Gillis did/didn’t do! Let’s get all the hills to die on going.

Strawman.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, 24K said:

Any support and questions on if he should keep his job is entirely dependent on what he does next. He needs to apologize in writing in an open letter to Canucks organization and on hnic if he is allowed back on at the very least.

It has already been over a day after the shit storm and it is silent cricket from him. He is running out of time to salvage the situation.

Agree he definitely needs to make an heartfelt amends if he wants to be anywhere near TV. 

• Like 1

I suspect he got caught up in the loose/uncensored format of podcasts (think Spittin Chicklets) and regrets his decision given his HNIC gig.

Many analysts are NHL alumni and can wear their colours proudly, while maintaining a degree of neutrality (relative to this at least). This simply crosses a line as a member of the national media and makes Gazdic look immature and like he shouldn’t be sitting at the adults table (HNIC). 

WHAT WILL HESAY WHEN THE PANTHERS DEMOLISH THE OILERS...WHAT DOES HE THINK ABOUT THEM CRAZY FANS HARASSING THE CAPTAIN WHILE ON A BEER RUN..GOOD ON THEM NOW CAPT MAC WILL LOSE HIS FOCUS THANKS TO SOME OILER FANS THAT JUST JINX THE OILERS..LOL

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would add his spot on HNIC might be in question too.

I would expect an apology next time he’s on. It’s one thing to be a fan of a team like Bieksa, but to call an entire organization and fan base a joke?

Don’t know how you can stay credible when there’s that much bias. Oh wait we’ve known that for years. 🤣

His job interview:

Ron: So Luke what interests you into joining the panel?

LG: I hate the FUCKING CANUCKS!

Ron: Your hired.

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Why does the hockey world hate Vancouver so bad, is it that they all have a variety of problems… or could it be something about the way we carry ourselves and behave? 

This hatred of Vancouver isn’t about hockey. It’s a jealousy of Vancouver that has developed over the decades in the rest of Canada. We live in the best climate in Canada. Other Canadians see us counting flowers in February and playing on our braces in July. These other Canadians dream of moving here, especially to retire. They can’t afford to though. So they are stuck in their sh*tholes. Too bad for them. 

9 hours ago, Keslers Ghost said:

People who are mentally unstable should not be on TV, stop coddling these idiots and excusing their behaviour. Awww poor baby was triggered? F-ing snowflakes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Why does the hockey world hate Vancouver so bad, is it that they all have a variety of problems… or could it be something about the way we carry ourselves and behave? 

So you'd act differently so the big mean eastern media says nicer things about you? 

8 hours ago, Keslers Ghost said:

I don't agree (at all) that it's a mental health thing.

I think it's arrogance and gloating. As others have said, it comes with the job to have to contend with comments that aren't always favourable on SM. My God, you should see the stuff we have to put up with here (as mods) at times. How you react is a choice and if he's suffering from mental health there's help out there. Step away and get some. But using that as an excuse does undermine the people with real MH issues (as someone pointed out). 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1