Luke Gazdic Rant against Canucks and Twitter Trolls

Shekky

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't you think that part of this reflects poorly on us as a fanbase?   I do.   It's not like he's much different then say Craig Simpson (homer), other then he does twitter.   Which is stupid to begin with. 

Simpson also should have been fired long ago.

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I dunno....I guess after over 50 years of being a Canucks fan, I'm getting a bit tired of people thinking we're shit fanbase. I thought maybe we might take the high road for once and maybe show Gadzic that he's wrong about us....

I guess I'm asking too much.

"Us" is a big word. I don't feel any connection to the shitheads that do angry twitter. If some media guy lumps us together, he's part the problem.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"Us" is a big word. I don't feel any connection to the shitheads that do angry twitter. If some media guy lumps us together, he's part the problem.

This is exactly it! To use such a blanket statement and call out an entire franchise and fans based on some internet trolls is exceptionally distasteful. Using a broad-brush to paint any demographic shows how ignorant this tool is.

Edited by Fantomex
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't feel any connection to them either, but that's not how the rest of the world sees it. As far as they're concerned the Xitter crowd is representative of the fanbase, as are the rioters.... Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it bugs me.

I see this as an opportunity to show them that we're not the douchebags that other fanbases think we are, but it seems that people around here are more interested in reinforcing that stereotype, rather than dispelling it....

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't feel any connection to them either, but that's not how the rest of the world sees it. As far as they're concerned the Xitter crowd is representative of the fanbase, as are the rioters.... Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it bugs me.

I see this as an opportunity to show them that we're not the douchebags that other fanbases think we are, but it seems that people around here are more interested in reinforcing that stereotype, rather than dispelling it....

I think it's lazy on others part. 

I also don't know why we care? So you think the NY or Boston fan base cares what other teams think? 

We can't control what others say they think about us.

Edited by Bob Long

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's lazy on others part. 

I also don't know why we care? So you think the NY or Boston fan base cares what other teams think? 

We can't control what others say they think about us.

No idea.....but yes, I care if people think I'm like the Xitter clowns and the people that trashed the city after the Cup losses. Maybe that's my failing, but it is what it is.

BTW: We can't 'control" what others think of us, but what I'm suggesting could absolutely change some minds.

4 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

This is exactly it! To use such a blanket statement and call out an entire franchise and fans based on some internet trolls is exceptionally distasteful. Using a broad-brush to paint any demographic shows how ignorant this tool is.

That was worth a double post IMO

The problem is that this further spreads the myth across Canada, and maybe into the States, that all Canucks fans are nasty whiny trolls, and for good measure, our team is crap and we must have been very lucky to even be close to winning a playoff round.  And then rubs it in that we are a "bunch of losers"

I don't even mind that if it was from some Edmonton play by play crew member.  As I'd be fine with Shorty or other colour men slagging other teams.......even thought they wouldn't, they have too much class.  Helps stoke the rivalry.

Its just that he fancies himself a national hockey panellist.  If that's what he really wants then don't be a douche to other Canadian citys teams fans.

Hey, I can kind of understand that he was angry, and made a bad decision by Including the team into his insult.  That he doesn't actually believe our team is a "joke".  He was using that line to push the knife further in to those who were tweeting him.  But that was dum dum dum dum.  He didn't stop and think for one second how that would hurt the majority of Canucks fans who did not act that way. 

But I have zero respect for him and the Sportsnet panel going forward, unless i hear a very very honest apology

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

No idea.....but yes, I care if people think I'm like the Xitter clowns and the people that trashed the city after the Cup losses. Maybe that's my failing, but it is what it is.

BTW: We can't 'control" what others think of us, but what I'm suggesting could absolutely change some minds.

Ok... So how?

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ok... So how?

I already said how. That's how this conversation got started,

24k and I were debating and you decided to chime in, so I assumed you knew what was being discussed. :classic_unsure:

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That is a losing battle. Negativity sells and sticks. We can try to flip that all we want but end of the day no one is going to care, report, and most of all remember any good will gesters while the riots and this kind of thing will always stick. 

Like I said, no one cared about what Canucks fans did after the 2011 riot, all they remember is the riot. 

Too bad. 

I thought he had noticably improved since he was introduced at the start of the season. Dumb move to respond to the trolls and worse to lose his cool and start flailing at the team’s fans, and then to talk smack about the whole team. Don’t know how high his ceiling would be but he certainly showed his floor.

The ball’s in his court now so I’ll be curious how sincere his apology will be. If it rings true I have no problem moving on from it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

That is a losing battle. Negativity sells and sticks. We can try to flip that all we want but end of the day no one is going to care, report, and most of all remember any good will gesters while the riots and this kind of thing will always stick. 

Like I said, no one cared about what Canucks fans did after the 2011 riot, all they remember is the riot. 

So, what you and Bob are saying is there is no point in taking the high road because nobody will care? We might as well act like the jerks that everyone thinks we are?

Sorry, I have to disagree.

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I already said how. That's how this conversation got started,

24k and I were debating and you decided to chime in, so I assumed you knew what was being discussed. :classic_unsure:

Yes your "flood of messages". How do you plan to get people to do that?

Dunno man, seems a bit desperate to me when gadz is the one who should be apologizing.

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

So, what you and Bob are saying is there is no point in taking the high road because nobody will care? We might as well act like the jerks that everyone thinks we are?

Adult/Youth/Toddler-Bunch of Jerks Carolina Hurricanes Inspired Hockey Shirt/Bunch of Jerks Hockey Shirt

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But I have zero respect for him and the Sportsnet panel going forward, unless i hear a very very honest apology

The problem with this is that it won't be HONEST. If he apologies at all, it'll be to save his job, nothing more.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

No I'm saying we don't have to chase media personalities hoping that they like us.

I don't do toxic twitter crap, I support Canucks for Kids every year, I go to a few games and actually cheer. If that's not good enough for some tit from Edmonton so be it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

The problem with this is that it won't be HONEST. If he apologies at all, it'll be to save his job, nothing more.

It might not be…but I’d like to hear it before I make up my mind. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yes your "flood of messages". How do you plan to get people to do that?

Dunno man, seems a bit desperate to me when gadz is the one who should be apologizing.

I'm not "planning" anything. I'm saying it would be a better look for Canuck fans to message LG and say "Hey Luke, sorry about the stuff some Canuck fans said to you. We're not all like that...but don't you think it's a bit unfair to say 'your team sucks', considering the team had nothing to do with it?"

As opposed piling on with the negative comments and calling for him to be fired from HNIC....

I feel like he'd be more likely to apologize in the first scenario than he would the second.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No I'm saying we don't have to chase media personalities hoping that they like us.

I don't do toxic twitter crap, I support Canucks for Kids every year, I go to a few games and actually cheer. If that's not good enough for some tit from Edmonton so be it.

We already established that I care what others think of us and that you don't, so I honestly don't understand why we're still discussing this....:classic_unsure:

Just now, Fantomex said:

If you don't know, I can't help ya bud. Have a good one.

You can't? Why not?

It's a pretty simple question: What was it supposed to mean?

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Obviously don't be jerks first of all.

You can try the high road all you want but just don't get your hopes up in these kind of things. Rarely does kindness work these days. You can blame twitter and social media on that. 

Best is to just not engage and let time mellow things out. Only other way is to have Canaucks fans in large numbers fly over to Edmonton and help them clean up their city should they riot. You can only high road your way out of it by doing it face to face. Just doing so online is pointless.