[Report] Ducks listening on Zegras

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2922650/report-ducks-listening-on-zegras-offers

Anaheim Ducks general manager Pat Verbeek is listening to trade offers for star forward Trevor Zegras, sources told The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Verbeek reportedly brought up Zegras in trade talks this season, and discussions have resurfaced with the offseason around the corner, LeBrun notes.

Zegras notched 15 points in just 31 games this campaign. The supremely skilled 23-year-old is under contract for two more seasons at a cap hit of $5.75 million before hitting restricted free agency for a second time.

Although he wasn't specifically talking about a potential return for Zegras, Verbeek recently revealed he's looking to add experience to a young Ducks team next campaign.

"I'd like to add a couple more veteran pieces to the group," Verbeek said. "I'd like to find a top-six winger, and I'd like to find a top-four defenseman. You know, 31 other teams could say the same thing, right?"

Verbeek added: "I'm trying to make our lineup deeper while having the younger kids gain more experience, learn from veteran players, and not have to bear the burden of producing offensively."

The Ducks finished 30th in the league standings this season with 59 points and missed the playoffs for a sixth consecutive year.

Zegras has been considered a cornerstone of Anaheim's rebuild since being drafted ninth overall in 2019. The New York native has 154 points in 211 games with the Ducks and placed runner-up for the Calder Trophy in his rookie season before notching a career-high 65 points in 2022-23.

• Thanks 1

If Marner would waive, and Gibson on ANH’s end, a Marner + for Zegras, GIbson + deal would benefit both clubs’ needs.
Don’t think Berube would be a Zegras fan though.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If Marner would waive, and Gibson on ANH’s end, a Marner + for Zegras, GIbson + deal would benefit both clubs’ needs.
Don’t think Berube would be a Zegras fan though.

Could be something there, Marner might enjoy a less rabid market like Anaheim

His point totals might take a hit but he'd have lots of young talent to play with

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Could be something there, Marner might enjoy a less rabid market like Anaheim

His point totals might take a hit but he'd have lots of young talent to play with

Like most, probably prefers a contender. But ANH could rebuild themselves quite quickly with Marner and their available cap space. Would definitely attract some top end UFA talent too. Their geographic location doesn’t hurt either. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Like most, probably prefers a contender. But ANH could rebuild themselves quite quickly with Marner and their available cap space. Would definitely attract some top end UFA talent too. Their geographic location doesn’t hurt either. 

Contenders will have a tough time fitting Marner's cap unless Toronto retains.

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Contenders will have a tough time fitting Marner's cap unless Toronto retains.

No contender is taking on Marner's contract, especially considering he's a UFA next summer and will want an 8 year extension in the $11.5-12 million range.

A trade to Anaheim makes sense.  I could see Chicago as well where Marner can play with Bedard.  San Jose is also an option...

Ducks Rumors: Trevor Zegras Linked to 4 Teams 

Michael DeRosa Wednesday, June 05, 2024 

Anaheim Ducks star forward Trevor Zegras is one of the top trade candidates heading into the 2024 NHL Offseason. He picked up a lot of trade buzz during the regular season, but the Ducks ultimately decided to hold onto him for the rest of the year. Yet, now that the summer is here, things could change on that front. 

According to The Fourth Period, the Philadelphia Flyers, Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames, and Ottawa Senators are all expressing interest in Zegras. 

The Flyers were heavily connected to Zegras during the season. It ultimately makes sense, as he is a young forward who they could build their group around. In addition, he is notably very close friends with Jamie Drysdale, who the Ducks traded to Philly during the year. 

The Canadiens have been in the mix for Zegras in the past as well. There is no secret that they need help down the middle and Zegras would give them that.

As for the Flames and Senators, these two teams are looking to be more competitive in 2024-25. As a result, they absolutely could use a high impact forward like Zegras. The Flames notably moved Elias Lindholm during the season, while the Senators' top six would benefit by adding one more star to it.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/ducks-rumors-trevor-zegras-linked-to-4.html

I've been dead set against the idea of this douche being a Canuck.. but starting to think it could be an option. A strong set of standards set by Toc, Foote, Hughes, Miller, ect on how to play 'Canuck' hockey could help turn this kid into a player. He has all the skill in the world, and it's possible he might not cost an arm and a leg to acquire. He was my guy after Seider in the Pod draft, I was cheering every pick and he kept dropped thinking he might get him.

• Cheers 1

I actually think this could be the one move we could make that would also allow us to keep Lindy and Zaddy.

Coincidentally I just saw an article about trading Honker and what the market is for RHD and #1 trade partner was Anaheim.

Wonder what could be done for a swap there and presumably Ducks would add?

Miller-Boeser-Suter/Hogz
EP40-Lindy-Zegras
Garland-Blueger-Podz?
Karlsson-Aman-Bains

Huggy - Roy?

Soucy - Myers

Zaddy - Juulsen

I mean dependant on how camp goes the 3rd/4th lines can be a lot different but something like that.

We would essentially have 1a/1b/3/4 forward lines and 1/2a/2b defense lines

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I've been dead set against the idea of this douche being a Canuck.. but starting to think it could be an option. A strong set of standards set by Toc, Foote, Hughes, Miller, ect on how to play 'Canuck' hockey could help turn this kid into a player. He has all the skill in the world, and it's possible he might not cost an arm and a leg to acquire. He was my guy after Seider in the Pod draft, I was cheering every pick and he kept dropped thinking he might get him.

I wouldn't be upset. Kesler was prickly as a Canuck and could be an ass and most of us loved him while he was here. Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa, they weren't liked around the league either. 

I think the dunking on his personality is overblown. Just because someone's a bit of a douche doesn't mean they're a piece of shit, and he's only 23. I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who were also a bit of a douche at that age. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be upset. Kesler was prickly as a Canuck and could be an ass and most of us loved him while he was here. Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa, they weren't liked around the league either. 

I think the dunking on his personality is overblown. Just because someone's a bit of a douche doesn't mean they're a piece of shit, and he's only 23. I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who were also a bit of a douche at that age. 

based off no inside information I bet he's kinda a piece of shit lol. But that doesn't mean he's like Kane and always will be. Just might need proper guidance. That being said, maybe he will always be. that's the risk.

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

based off no inside information I bet he's kinda a piece of shit lol. But that doesn't mean he's like Kane and always will be. Just might need proper guidance. That being said, maybe he will always be. that's the risk.

I dunno if that'd ring true for him drastically more than other young NHL'ers who come from upper class beginnings though. My understanding is that folks don't like Zegras because he's flashy, has a lot of personality, has a bit of a mouth, and because his hype hasn't matched his body of work thus far. Problem is, he ain't responsible for that hype. 

As far as players go, betting on talented youth ain't a bad thing to do and he's certainly talented. I don't think any team who brings him in would get a different person than the one he's been as a Duck, but I do think there's a good chance he matures like most other men as time goes on. 

It's one of the things I find a bit odd when folks discuss young prospects and NHL'ers, it's almost as if folks forget how young these guys are, yet there seems to be a pattern of folks expecting young men to also act like seasoned adults while being the ultimate professionals. This ain't what you were doing of course, but I've noticed it a lot on hockey forums over the years. Sometimes it comes across as older folks complaining about young guys acting like they're young, when that's exactly what they are.