[Speculation] Report: Anaheim Ducks discussing John Gibson in trade talks

Report: Anaheim Ducks discussing John Gibson in trade talks

Shane Seney Wednesday, June 05, 2024

The Anaheim Ducks continue to have aspirations to rebuild their roster as GM Pat Verbeek is in for a busy summer.

While a lot of the recent attention is on the future of Trevor Zegras, it turns out he's not the only Duck in trade conversations this offseason. According to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic, goaltender John Gibson is someone Verbeek is listening to trade offers on:

“I'd like to add a couple more veteran pieces to the group. I'd like to find a top-six winger, and I'd like to find a top-four defenseman. You know, 31 other teams could say the same thing right now, right?. I'm trying to make our lineup deeper while have the younger kids gain more experience, learn from veteran players and not have to bear the burden of producing offensively. I'm exploring all of it (trade/free agency). John's still a really good goalie. Obviously there's a market for goalies out there.”

As far as the goaltending market is concerned, the front-runners appear to be the New Jersey Devils, LA Kings, Ottawa Senators, Columbus Blue Jackets and Colorado Avalanche, who all are reportedly open to upgrades in net.

Gibson is coming off a 13-27-2 season where he posted a 3.54 GAA and .888 Sv.%. He's owed $6.4 million AAV through the next three seasons and holds a modified 10-team no-trade clause, where he'll likely be submitted a new list of teams in the coming weeks.

The Ducks are going to be an interesting team to watch this offseason as everything is on the table for Verbeek and company.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/report-anaheim-ducks-discussing-john.html

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Mariner +
for

Zegras, Gibson +

(if both Marner and Gibson would waive)

Marner ain't waiving for any team.. & Why would he? He's going to stick it to those Leaf fans..  He'll eventually walk to Free Agency. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Marner ain't waiving for any team.. & Why would he? He's going to stick it to those Leaf fans..  He'll eventually walk to Free Agency. 

if so, bye bye Shanny

Just now, Alflives said:

Ducks have been trying to trade Gibson for years. Zegras too. 
Demko + Mik for Gibson + Zegras. Who says no? 

Gibson probably says no. 10 team no trade. Come to think of it most on that list are probably the Canadian clubs

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ducks have been trying to trade Gibson for years. Zegras too. 
Demko + Mik for Gibson + Zegras. Who says no? 

I don’t think they have. They’ve had plenty of opportunities in the past 

2 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

I'm fairly sure he'd rather not wait an extra year to play for an NHL team.

Gibson $1M retained (+) for Freddy Andersen + Necas?

I guess that depends on if Carolina thinks Gibson is better than Andersen though. Gibson could be a good mentor for Kotchetkov.

This could help all 3 teams out:

Gibson to NJD

Hronek to Ana

NJD #10 OA to Van.

We could then make an offer to Tanev, plus we'd get our 1st round pick back this year to use or trade.

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This could help all 3 teams out:

Gibson to NJD

Hronek to Ana

NJD #10 OA to Van.

We could then make an offer to Tanev, plus we'd get our 1st round pick back this year to use or trade.

annnnnnd a massive hole on the Canucks blueline.

40 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

annnnnnd a massive hole on the Canucks blueline.

Unlikely we're keeping both Hronek and Zadorov so there going to have to be compromise somewhere.  Personally I'd keep Zadorov and try to ice something like:

Hughes/Tanev 

Soucy Myers

Zadorov/Juulsen 

• Upvote 1