[Speculation] Penguins Rumors: Jake Guentzel Was "Angry" At Pittsburgh For Trading Him

Penguins Rumors: Jake Guentzel Was "Angry" At Pittsburgh For Trading Him

James Wilson Wednesday, June 05, 2024 

Jake Guentzel's departure from the Pittsburgh Penguins was reportedly marked by significant frustration and anger.

According to Josh Yohe of The Athletic, the star winger felt blindsided by the trade, especially because he believed the team did not make a genuine effort to secure his future with a long-term contract.

Guentzel, who had been a key figure for the Penguins and formed a dynamic partnership with Sidney Crosby, was said to have felt a deep sense of betrayal. His bond with the team and his crucial role during playoff runs made the lack of communication and perceived respect from the management even more hurtful to the All-Star and 8-time 20+ goal scorer.

Despite his successful performance with the Carolina Hurricanes, where he is currently a pending unrestricted free agent, the emotional fallout from his Pittsburgh exit looms large.

The Penguins' tight salary cap situation and their need to address several roster gaps further complicate any potential reunion.

Guentzel's discontent with his former team, coupled with the financial and strategic constraints, makes a return to Pittsburgh increasingly unlikely. As he continues contract discussions and considers hitting the open market, the prospect of other NHL teams making attractive offers seems more probable, leaving the Penguins in a difficult position to match his expected salary demands.

Over his eight-year career in Pittsburgh, Guentzel racked up 219 goals and 247 assists for 466 total points across 503 games played.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/penguins-rumors-jake-guentzel-was-angry.html

• Thanks 1

It's a business! A player the level of Guentzel especially is compensated very well for what they do.. It's just the way the cards fall. My suggestion to him is try and work a full no trade clause into future contracts.. Otherwise go cry about it in the shower.. Ain't nobody wanna hear this shit!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

to afford him, we'd have to move Garly and trade or buyout Mik to maintain a good d group.

But then we'd get to have Guentzel and Petey together for years, and teams having to decide between that and Millers line. 

It could be a move that keeps us making the playoffs for years. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think he has been clear wants to stay on US. Move on look for more affordable winger options. 

dunno... how many chances do you get to add truly elite players? aim mid stay mid is what concerns me. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think he has been clear wants to stay on US. Move on look for more affordable winger options. 

I have searched for any content on this and there is nothing. Could someone please post if true, otherwise we should stop referencing it. The only thing he stated is that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh prior to trade. That’s it. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I have searched for any content on this and there is nothing. Could someone please post if true, otherwise we should stop referencing it. The only thing he stated is that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh prior to trade. That’s it. 

I would think  that his agent would keep that quiet (if at all true), just to have more teams drive up the bidding, and if it was true, after a contract is signed, you may here, I always wanted to play here or the USA

My dude.. you are 30, a one dimensional winger and you want like 9+ million and 7/8 years. 

I would advise against any team Pittsburg, Carolina, Vancouver or anyone else giving you that as its almost certain you won't live up to it. 

6 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I would think  that his agent would keep that quiet (if at all true), just to have more teams drive up the bidding, and if it was true, after a contract is signed, you may here, I always wanted to play here or the USA

Perhaps. I just see people referencing something that has never been stated anywhere, by any pundit, nor even by folks on Reddit! 

6 minutes ago, rmok said:

My dude.. you are 30, a one dimensional winger and you want like 9+ million and 7/8 years. 

I would advise against any team Pittsburg, Carolina, Vancouver or anyone else giving you that as its almost certain you won't live up to it. 

one dimensional? 

Who cares 😂 chase the cup for one month on Carolina and then go back to Pittsburgh in the summer if you really want to be there. You get a chance at a Stanley Cup and cherry on top if he goes back he’ll have made Pitts a little bit better with the pieces they got for renting him out.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Who cares 😂 chase the cup for one month on Carolina and then go back to Pittsburgh in the summer if you really want to be there. You get a chance at a Stanley Cup and cherry on top if he goes back he’ll have made Pitts a little bit better with the pieces they got for renting him out.

The old Keith Ketchup, with St Louis play.

Guy got traded at deadline, a few times, but kept re-signing with the Blues, during the following summer

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

dunno... how many chances do you get to add truly elite players? aim mid stay mid is what concerns me. 

Not aiming mid. This is another huge contract for a winger $8M isn’t getting it done, $10M may not be. 

With JTM, EP making $20M, Brock needing contract QH not too far from massive raise, spending that much long term cap on a scoring winger feels both dangerous and moving more towards Toronto’s model of cap management.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not aiming mid. This is another huge contract for a winger $8M isn’t getting it done, $10M may not be. 

With JTM, EP making $20M, Brock needing contract QH not too far from massive raise, spending that much long term cap on a scoring winger feels both dangerous and moving more towards Toronto’s model of cap management.

I guess my concern is we don't really have enough winger talent, now or in the pipeline. I can see the chance for Lekkerimaki to replace Brock, but who's really at Guentzels level on Petey's left wing? 

Posted (edited)

I guess my concern is we don't really have enough winger talent, now or in the pipeline. I can see the chance for Lekkerimaki to replace Brock, but who's really at Guentzels level on Petey's left wing? 

I agree we are short a solid top 6 winger though would like to see the Hogz-Pods combo tried again. 
I am just not sure we can afford that good a top 6 winger without our D getting gutted. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

It's a business! A player the level of Guentzel especially is compensated very well for what they do.. It's just the way the cards fall. My suggestion to him is try and work a full no trade clause into future contracts.. Otherwise go cry about it in the shower.. Ain't nobody wanna hear this shit!

Seems like he should play for the Oil to join the other crybabies.

Well we can hope Karlsson  and Bains can play a bigger role under RT.

Raty is starting to look good but is he ready??

Lots of questions marks again for players coming up , let's just hope that two or more break out.