[Rumour] Ian Cole to hit the UFA market

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

damn. wanted him back as our 6th defender

I think Cole showed he struggled at times on the right side as well and that may be a factor in letting him walk as well. I think the team will look to carry:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov ? - veteran

where the two bottom pairings are interchangeable in terms of ice time, maybe adding a veteran with good skating and speed like Kulikov could be an intriguing add and at under $ 2m per I am fairly certain.

Justin Schultz though not great in his own zone so people may cringe but if he is in a role where a reliable defensive partner is on his side it could prove a very beneficial add to create more offense from the back end. Again another defenseman who could come in at a lower cap number. Juulsen was also a nice improved player for the Canucks this year, we do however see a need for him to get out of that routine where he still puts himself out of position to make the big hit. Otherwise I would be confident in him pushing for the #6 spot.

Posted (edited)

He was really solid and a good addition most of the year, you could really see him fall off as we had him play some more minutes due to injuries and as the season went on.

He just couldn’t play that much at his age.

It was unfortunate that he was one of the leading scorers for Edmonton in their series against us.

I appreciate what he brought and the style he played.  Good dude that was hard to play against.

Maybe a guy like Dillon or Hakanpa would be replacement in free agency.

Allvin has some work to do, but there are some decent names as UFAs and possible available as trades.

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Dillon/Hakanpa/Jokiharju/Myers

Juulsen

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

Had a decent year here in Van, i'm sure another team will take him for a season or maybe even two?

Fall guy for the Edmonton series, but whatever. 

Had a great 1/2 a season or so, probably cost us a game or two in the post season. Pretty bad luck but man for a vet guy he sure blew apart against Edm and Nash.

All along we had one too many LD and one too few RD. Bring Tanev home to play the vet role, far superior in every way also

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

His age started to show late in the season. He did good work for Edmonton. But I blame coaching more than him. It was clear he needed to come out. People will bring up that one gaff by Juulsen. But Cole had 2 goals and 4 assists for Edmonton. Incredible secondary production. We should have sat him.

Yeah Juulsen should have come in game 4 or something and stayed in

I wonder if this means they're getting something worked out with Zadorov.  Because bringing Cole back might make sense if they know Zadorov is leaving.  Of course there are other LD out there, but you don't have to rule Cole out to pursue them. 

• Vintage 1

One of the most frustrating playoffs for him for sure. He didn't ask to have pucks go off him while contributing zero on offense. Like Lafferty, he didn't have a good playoffs at all. Nice guy though. I hope he plays better on another team.

No surprise, need someone a little younger. He was good for the first half season then he started to get a little stretched. Not all guys can go really late in their 30's and still be effective for a full 82 games plus playoffs.

There are younger options out there.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If this was the case then the coaching staff should have ran with Juulsen until his stiches were healed.  Juulsen made some errors, but not to the extent that Cole did...

If only the entire coaching staff was as smart as you.

If Soucy is ready for a full 2nd pair role and hopefully Zadorov comes back or they get Dillon, the left side D should look steady as ever.  Presuming Hronek gets moved at that price point, we should spend more on the RD as is, so not keeping Cole at $3 million for a depth role would be smart.  We can probably get a young, slightly less reputable but hungry shutdown D for like $1.5- $2 million.

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If Soucy is ready for a full 2nd pair role and hopefully Zadorov comes back or they get Dillon, the left side D should look steady as ever.  Presuming Hronek gets moved at that price point, we should spend more on the RD as is, so not keeping Cole at $3 million for a depth role would be smart.  We can probably get a young, slightly less reputable but hungry shutdown D for like $1.5- $2 million.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Cole can now sign a 35+ deal and bring his cap hit down. So we wouldnt be looking at a 3mil depth signing

26 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Cole can now sign a 35+ deal and bring his cap hit down. So we wouldnt be looking at a 3mil depth signing

Unfortunately signing him to a bonus laden deal would mean kicking the extra cap hit to next year. The OEL penalty makes that extremely difficult.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Unfortunately signing him to a bonus laden deal would mean kicking the extra cap hit to next year. The OEL penalty makes that extremely difficult.

Okay and if he doesnt hit his bonus…?

Was a good soldier for us, but his play was way downhill second half of the season  and playoffs. On ice contributions won’t be difficult to replace, but his off ice and leadership roles will be missed. Glad he was here, but won’t be missed honestly.

Not a surprise.

Cole is a guy I could see us circling back on, but like I’ve said with Zadorov there’s some other pieces that need to fall into place before we fill what could be a 3rd pair LD. 

And when those pieces fall, I’m sure they’d love to try and land a guy like Zadorov before working their way to Cole. 

Posted (edited)

You could clearly see as the pace got higher Cole couldn't keep up and as they say you're only as strong as your weakest links and unfortunately Cole was a weak link.

Besides all the botched plays he made against Edmonton that led to back breaking goals against I don't think he plays physical enough and don't like that he's not into conflict. He's also very penalty prone watching him in the playoffs where he clearly couldn't keep up, it seemed like he was close to taking a penalty almost every shift.

I think the best thing by far for the team would be get rid of Myers and Cole and use that money for Chris Tanev who would be a huge help in all the games but especially big games and playoff games making the team wayyy better than these 2 could make them.

Tanev is 5 times better than Myers and doesn't take all the stupid penalties so they should do everything to get him and especially if we can't afford Hronek.

Edited by MoneyMiller

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MoneyMiller said:

You could clearly see as the pace got higher Cole couldn't keep up and as they say you're only as strong as your weakest links and unfortunately Cole was a weak link.

Besides all the botched plays he made against Edmonton that led to back breaking goals against I don't think he plays physical enough and don't like that he's not into conflict. He's also very penalty prone watching him in the playoffs where he clearly couldn't keep up, it seemed like he was close to taking a penalty almost every shift.

I think the best thing by far for the team would be get rid of Myers and Cole and use that money for Chris Tanev who would be a huge help in all the games but especially big games and playoff games making the team wayyy better than these 2 could make them.

Tanev is 5 times better than Myers and doesn't take all the stupid penalties so they should do everything to get him and especially if we can't afford Hronek.

I’d rather have Myers than Tanev. Soucy/Myers is a good pairing. If we can keep Zadorov we need to find him a better partner. I like Dylan Demelo. I think he will be a lot cheaper to get than a Matt Roy. 

Not sure if we are keeping Hronek. The latest rumours are he wants to stay here. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson