US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 10/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

Well, I'm guessing you have a connection with Texas.  Republicans largely voted against increasing infrastructure spending at the Federal level.  And like here in BC, potholes are at best a state level responsibility.  At worst, a municipal responsibility.  Tired of potholes, then look to the names DOWNBALLOT.

People going hungry.  Well, there are numerous programs that Republicans love to hate.  SNAP, school lunches, and more.  

Drugs, well decades of drug war has done nothing to stop drugs.  The drug war is the reason why Fentanyl even is a problem.  Republicans only promote more of the same failed drug war policies.

Texas is largely run by Republicans.  A large portion of its voters will be voting for much of the same.  This is the root cause of a lot of the problems you listed.  

Could you show me where you got the  the Republican policies?   

3 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

Could you show me where you got the  the Republican policies?   

Simple web searches lead to multiple examples.  I'll limit to a few here.  On infrastructure, many of the NO votes went back to their states/districts and then touted projects whose funded came from the bill they voted against.

Infrastructure:  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-republicans-tout-infrastructure-funding-voted/story?id=82429064#:~:text=In November%2C Rep.,Green New Deal in disguise."

Snap and other benefits, School lunches:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/politics/wic-benefits-cut-culture-war/index.html

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-plan-cut-free-school-lunches-1807361

On the drug war, here is but a taste.  One of the top candidates not named TRUMP is against decriminalizing weed.  So ya, more of the same.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/19/desantis-marijuana-00116803

Congressman Henry Cuellar carjacked at gunpoint in Washington

Democratic Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar was carjacked at gunpoint Monday night near his residence in the Navy Yard area of Washington, D.C. just blocks from the Capitol.

An alert sent to congressional members stated three to four men held guns to his head and took his car and phone, sources told ABC News.

Cuellar's chief of staff, Jacob Hochberg, confirmed the carjacking news in a statement to ABC News late Monday night.

“As Congressman Cuellar was parking his car this evening, 3 armed assailants approached the Congressman and stole his vehicle. Luckily, he was not harmed and is working with local law enforcement. Thank you to Metro PD and Capitol Police for their swift action and for recovering the Congressman’s vehicle,” his statement read.

The Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, D.C. did not confirm the victim's identity.

In a statement to ABC News the department said: "There was a report of an armed carjacking that came in at approximately 9:32 pm at the intersection of New Jersey and K Street, Southeast. We do not have victim information at this time."

As of Sunday, there were 750 carjackings in Washington, 75% of which involved guns, per D.C. Police.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/congressman-henry-cuellar-carjacked-gunpoint-washington-sources/story?id=103676681

30 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This new website is like 'spicy CDC'.... with a large side of meatballs. 

Hey, honest question. Would you consider me the spice or the meatball?

28 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

And nuts, bananas and crackers.

Same goes for you futz, am I the cracker, the nut or the banana?

@Sabrefan1 I thought you told me McCarthy would be okay? I can't believe this all happened so fast. I'm going to have to turn the TV on. I hardly watch any TV at all. Especially I don't watch American news as of late so I'll have to tune in to see what the noise is all about

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Damn McCarthy is out.

What a clown show. 

Wow.  The Democrats are idiots.  I figured some would realize that whoever replaces McCarthy will be more radical and tougher to deal with.

The Dems were actually able to get McCarthy to knuckle under as long as they waited him out.  Now, whoever replaces him will fight the Dems tooth and nail and let the government shut down next month.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

@Sabrefan1 I thought you told me McCarthy would be okay? I can't believe this all happened so fast. I'm going to have to turn the TV on. I hardly watch any TV at all. Especially I don't watch American news as of late so I'll have to tune in to see what the noise is all about

I was wrong.

Read what I just posted.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Wow.  The Democrats are idiots.  I figured some would realize that whoever replaces McCarthy will be more radical and tougher to deal with.

The Dems were actually able to get McCarthy to knuckle under as long as they waited him out.  Now, whoever replaces him will fight the Dems tooth and nail and let the government shut down next month.

Actually, not really.  The disfunction in the QOP will only make their case next year.  I mean, Canada just had a Speaker vote today and there isn't a clear majority, and it got across the line.   The QOP has the majority.  This shouldn't take 15 votes.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Are fully understand that you have a pretty good grasp of Canadian politics, but I find in canada once the parties start in fighting. It usually leads to disaster for them in the next election. I would think given that the United States has an election in a year from now, this was probably a bad decision for the Republicans to do. Wouldn't it be wise of the Democrats to point out that they can't even get along with each other? 

I was wrong.

Read what I just posted.

I actually feel like that's pretty rare for you.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hey, honest question. Would you consider me the spice or the meatball?

Same goes for you futz, am I the cracker, the nut or the banana?

i I don't consider you any of those. Maybe just a little uninformed but that's no crime as long as your mind isn't closed.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Well it is a bad look for Dems to bail McCarthy out without major concessions. 

If they bailed him out without solid concessions on paper, he will be empowered to be less cooperative knowing the dems will just bail him out everytime fearing they got someone worse. 

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Actually, not really.  The disfunction in the QOP will only make their case next year.  I mean, Canada just had a Speaker vote today and there isn't a clear majority, and it got across the line.   The QOP has the majority.  This shouldn't take 15 votes.  

They deserve to lose the election if they're doing it for party reasons.  If/Whoever replaces McCarthy is going to cause chaos and hurt the country for the time he is seated as speaker.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Well it is a bad look for Dems to bail McCarthy out without major concessions. 

If they bailed him out without solid concessions on paper, he will be empowered to be less cooperative knowing the dems will just bail him out everytime fearing they got someone worse. 

It would have taken only 4 Dem votes.  You can explain away 4 Dem votes.  He is/was already a weak Speaker who barely had his party anyways.  Keeping him in his seat was better than letting him get ousted.

It would have taken only 4 Dem votes.  You can explain away 4 Dem votes.  He is/was already a weak Speaker who barely had his party anyways.  Keeping him in his seat was better than letting him get ousted.

Maybe they're banking on the new Speaker being Scalise.

They deserve to lose the election if they're doing it for party reasons.  If/Whoever replaces McCarthy is going to cause chaos and hurt the country for the time he is seated as speaker.

Why should the Dems give support to the QOP?  There were numerous bipartisan bills that died on Moscow Mitch's desk.  The dumb football coach from Alabama has been holding up all kinds of military appointments/promotions by himself.  They're supposed to roll over the moment the crazies ditched McCarthy.  

Or, let the chaos happen.  Then support a moderate who will have to give them actual concessions.  WIN WIN

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I mean the Dems can still vote McCarthy back in again if he concede to something significant. Increases Dems leverage if he was already removed. 

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I am of two minds for this.

One, you're right. 

In that the Dems allow the freedom caucus to take over and their craziness is put on serious display, they can then label them as insane as they stonewall everything and make the most insane comments statements and reasonings for their actions.

Two.

You're wrong and that they manage to ram through a moderate somehow that is reasonable and as such is a win for both parties as it would paint the Dems as willing to compromise and give the GOP someone that doesn't look as batshit crazy as gaetz, Jordan, MTG or the like.

Alternative and totally out of left field.  They get the numbers to nominate one of their own as speaker somehow which is actually a potential option as well.

Whatever the case, this was an inevitability