US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Trump was once funny but now is a dangerous candidate for Potus. The US and the world needs either Biden or Pence. 

The only time Trump was funny was when his mother didn't have the decency to be pro-choice and do the world a favour.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Or you could start a differently titled thread, and expand on your thoughts, there.

Or I could continue discussing US politics here?

I didn't see a specified list of strict talking points on the thread header. We're into gatekeeping mode now?

Are we only allowed to talk about the dick sucker fash trying to be speaker? Or talk about the orange clown show? Who is gonna vote on what bill? That's it?

But I'm not stopping you if that's what you and others are into. Give er!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Trump was once funny but now is a dangerous candidate for Potus. The US and the world needs either Biden or Pence. 

I wonder how long it will take before he starts babbling about how Hamas would never have attacked Israel on his watch....:classic_dry:

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

I didn't see a specified list of strict talking points on the thread header. We're into gatekeeping mode now?

Are we only allowed to talk about the dick sucker fash trying to be speaker? Or talk about the orange clown show? Who is gonna vote on what bill? That's it?

Gurn secretly wants to be a mod. J/k 

Honestly though, yes there is an unwritten rule in the Trump thread. Only liberal and you must wish death upon Trump. Oh and everything gop bad. Everything!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

If you are unable to see the social, rhetorical and historical parallels between 1930’s Germany and today’s MAGA/QAnon movement, I don’t know what to tell you, but I’ll try. As far as I can see, both have/would:

1 Take over the judiciary

2 assume direct control of the military

3 take actions best described as racist

4 jail and/or execute political opponents

5 violently suppress dissent

6 target Jews

7 promote racial purity

8 interfere on women’s bodily autonomy

9 curry favour with other totalitarian regimes

10 foster a kind of toxic nationalism that sees themselves as superior to all others

11 set themselves up as the sole arbiters of truth

12 pick fights with other countries

13 and on and on and on

I'm amazed that seven people would admit to beliving this. What a world. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well you said "why would she let you go?" which is why I clarified my myself. I'm an onlooker putting in my 0.02 not someone necessarily in that fight. 

And if I'm being honest I feel like you almost have to nowadays, but I'm glad we agree. 

I see. Yes, I guess when I saw you were open to the divorce I automatically assumed you were right-leaning, but I don't really equate that with DJT.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The only time Trump was funny was when his mother didn't have the decency to be pro-choice and do the world a favour.

She didn’t have a choice. Have kids or work in the house of the Rising Sun. 

2 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Er could you pull up that Venn diagram again? Haven’t seen it yet on this page yet.

Where does this assclown fit?

IMG_6929.jpeg

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Er could you pull up that Venn diagram again? Haven’t seen it yet on this page yet.

Where does this assclown fit?

IMG_6929.jpeg

Yeah. Apologize for having to post it over and over again. People kept jumping in halfway thru the conversation lacking context for what was previously discussed and established in the comment.

I have no fucking idea who that guy is.

He's got the look of a pedophile though.  Does his family come from money? Maybe some position of notable power? Brb ill Google him.

Aaaaahhahahhaha no fucking way

"In 2020, Gaetz was accused of sex trafficking and having sexual relationships with minors. After an investigation, the United States Department of Justice decided not to charge him, though Gaetz remains under investigation of the House Ethics Committee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gaetz

Ah and here's his daddy. Comes from politics as well:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gaetz

And apparently so does his daddys daddy!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Gaetz

This Matt Gaetz guy is basically political royalty.

Halls of power, wealth, property right there. A great example of the shit I've talking about in my previous posts including that aforementioned graph.

Edited by Canuckle
grammar and formatting and shit
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

If you are unable to see the social, rhetorical and historical parallels between 1930’s Germany and today’s MAGA/QAnon movement, I don’t know what to tell you, but I’ll try. As far as I can see, both have/would:

1 Take over the judiciary

2 assume direct control of the military

3 take actions best described as racist

4 jail and/or execute political opponents

5 violently suppress dissent

6 target Jews

7 promote racial purity

8 interfere on women’s bodily autonomy

9 curry favour with other totalitarian regimes

10 foster a kind of toxic nationalism that sees themselves as superior to all others

11 set themselves up as the sole arbiters of truth

12 pick fights with other countries

13 and on and on and on

Trump was inarguably (I'm sure everyone here would agree) the most powerful person in the entire world for 4 years.

If the bolded was a true representation of his actions in that role; how is it possible any challenge to his reign could possibly occur? Nvm another election as regularly scheduled? And nvm another election where he was booted out of power & is now on his way to prison? 

What your describing is Stalin/Hitler. Germany didn't have free federal elections from atleast 1933 to Hitlers death in '45, were talking more than 10 years & only stopped b/c of arguably the biggest war in human history.

Stalin's regime had quotas for finding political prisoners amongst the population (civilians whom were entirely innocent), nvm the purge campaigns to unjustly execute those in positions of power to maintain his hold on dictatorship. Niether would've allowed any semblance of a legit challenge to their power, let alone a free election with the potential to remove them 4 years after gaining said power. 

The through lines between fascism & communism are collectivism and totalitarianism. I agree there are parallels today yes, absolutely, which is why I often find myself anti-state. 

But the house has a basement, the basement has a cellar, and the cellar has an underground tunnel; which is to say the depths of depravity went far deeper in those regimes. If America from 2017-2020 was actually comparable to Stalinism or Nazism then we are now in utopia.  

15 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Let's not pretend that the whole Hunka incident was premeditated and points to some policy change.  

I can agree it was a fustercluck, a national embarrassment. and it happened on the libs watch.  But It seems to have been a huge error by one guy and he resigned in shame.

I was kind of making that comment tongue in cheek, hence saying "but seriously" after. But I do agree with the bolded completely. And I think its a very bad situation for a 'serious' representative democracy.

Maybe its just a grave mistake by one person, but you would think one of the very highest honors in our country would have some kind of verification - especially given the deputy prime-minister is an expert in Russia/Ukrainian history, seems like a very easy double-check opportunity.

Ultimately in a representative democracy - we vote on people to represent us on our beliefs & values - these people doing this & how seriously the vetting was taken, is representative of us. And the end result was honoring a literal Nazi, we have to wear it.

2 hours ago, Calamity K said:

I see. Yes, I guess when I saw you were open to the divorce I automatically assumed you were right-leaning, but I don't really equate that with DJT.

That's fair.

I ultimately hate political labels but suppose I'm right leaning given I currently find myself opposed to 'progressives' on many things. Though I do agree with them on alot of things too like social issues to some extent, and I'm not entirely opposed to collective funding either, more-so the compulsion part of it. 

The problem I find with the traditional spectrum is it doesn't have an obvious position for anti-statism. I find the political grid better (the black anarchist flag comes in many colours so they say). 

6 hours ago, Calamity K said:

Wow. I always thought Abe Lincoln was a Republican. Live and learn I guess. Next thing you know I will find out the KKK wasn't the Dems.

That is the most bullshit weak ass statement, as if you don't know that conservatives and liberals switched support between the republican and democrat parties...but, then again maybe you don't? Here is a quick update for you...

https://www.studentsofhistory.com/ideologies-flip-Democratic-Republican-parties

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Playoff Beered should fact check his Facebook friends.

Here is one just for you, because a lot of your posts do exactly this...

image.jpeg.475a88560d665eb70a052872df14f219.jpeg

And what's this about Facebook? Do you think that's some kind of clever diss? I don't even use it, but even if I did, what would Facebook have to do with anything?

• Cheers 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:00 AM, Canuckle said:

jme358ssim561.jpg.e46a703114186c4d30799f0721ec8c40.jpg

On 10/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Canuckle said:

LLXgo2Q.jpg.2b1400797dfd97d0c1178fb6f0f49694.jpg

20 hours ago, Canuckle said:

jme358ssim561.jpg.b33068644bb36a150deb0bb54d9e148f.jpg

20 hours ago, Canuckle said:

image.jpeg.438b89b70f4a240bf9878e30c1ba24e7.jpeg

17 hours ago, Canuckle said:

LLXgo2Q.jpg.d86693872c18652d66609db4668eea29.jpg

14 hours ago, Canuckle said:

LLXgo2Q.jpg.e243fe180bf5f392e6e24b40110ff8b2.jpg

14 hours ago, Canuckle said:

jme358ssim561.jpg.5615ea054b7fbffe515c8201de1ef945.jpg

10 hours ago, Canuckle said:

LLXgo2Q.jpg.8d5468114fda18e08c6df7239adb00ce.jpg

Proof by assertion is the practice of repeating an argument or proposition until challenges to it "dry up", thus creating a logical fallacy, and often a filibuster or stonewall effect.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Here is one just for you, because a lot of your posts do exactly this...

image.jpeg.475a88560d665eb70a052872df14f219.jpeg

And what's this about Facebook? Do you think that's some kind of clever diss? I don't even use it, but even if I did, what would Facebook have to do with anything?

42 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

image.jpeg.f2cd8d94df3bbc4be1ecdc525968ea21.jpeg

There is no contradiction at all. Much like your copied Facebook nonsense maybe you should look into that. It seems like you don't like facts? You were being helped with your misunderstanding of factual history.