US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

If Michelle did run, it would really bring out the bat shit craziness. That might really freak out independent voters and hand her a big win.

I think she'd likely also get independent votes from independents who liked her husband.  The hope would likely be that he would have influence with her if she was elected.

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I never read any of the books released about Obama's presidency.  I don't know how she was behind the scenes, but I don't doubt that they both had many discussions of what was going on in the Oval Office.  Any close couple would.

Also a smart one.

As a Canadian I'd love to see it.

Just get Oprah in there. 

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not hoping for trump to win, Biden looked mentally unfit during the debate and created real concern among the international community as well. The election is in 5 months, was always going to be a close election but the tides have seemed to shift. 

Biden has an interview coming up on ABC this Friday.  If he does well, he'll repair some of the debate damage.  If he flubs the interview too, he could be done.

The Democrats though have to stop hammering him like they have been for the last few days and they need to plug the leaks also.  There are stories coming out admitting that they've been covering Biden's foibles up for the last 12-18 months.

The Democrats have a credibility problem now.  That could cause short and long term damage to basic trust in them as a party.

They need to stay silent until after Biden's upcoming interview and then be smart, not loud, about trying to get him to step down if he does poorly.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Also a smart one.

As a Canadian I'd love to see it.

Just get Oprah in there. 

Oprah is one of the reasons people started to push for Trump for the presidency long ago. 

These days she says just enough to keep her celeb friends loving her while also keeping herself in his good graces.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

^ Musk- 'You will be obliterated" -- once/if   I/we solve  all these very, very, difficult obstacles.

I wouldn't bet against him, but I also wouldn't trust his overly optimistic time frames...

Problem is, he's far from the only one attempting to create full robotic autonomy.  If he gets beat to it then he'll be fighting an uphill battle.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Elon Musk vows Bill Gates will be ‘obliterated’ if he doesn’t stop shorting Tesla

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/ar-BB1plzWz

I love the title, even if it's a bit clickbaity.  It gave me mental pictures of Elon using horse-faces "Jewish space lasers" on Bill Gates.  🛰️🛰️

I was a bit disappointed, after I read the story, that obliterate was only being used figuratively.  😂

Edited by Sabrefan1

12 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Oprah is one of the reasons people started to push for Trump for the presidency long ago. 

These days she says just enough to keep her celeb friends loving her while also keeping herself in his good graces.

Sabers1 ,  
       Curious to understand your opinion of these Democrats?

Gavin Newsome .

John Stewart 

From the outside , looking in ,.

To me It seems either would have the cunning to stop Trump by death of a thousand cuts .

14 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Biden has an interview coming up on ABC this Friday.  If he does well, he'll repair some of the debate damage.  If he flubs the interview too, he could be done.

The Democrats though have to stop hammering him like they have been for the last few days and they need to plug the leaks also.  There are stories coming out admitting that they've been covering Biden's foibles up for the last 12-18 months.

The Democrats have a credibility problem now.  That could cause short and long term damage to basic trust in them as a party.

They need to stay silent until after Biden's upcoming interview and then be smart, not loud, about trying to get him to step down if he does poorly.

Im not sure the interview will reverse all the damage as an interview can be easy rehearsed and has all the questions prior. He will need to have a good next debate to show he can still think on his feet. They need a new candidate imo as I have concerns about the difference of his mental state from 4 years to now, what will it look like in another 4 years? Things can decline fast once they start going. He would be pushing 86 years old at the end of his next term, which is insane to be running the country with the largest economy in the world. Trump is too old too, but seems to be in slightly better shape.     

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Republican threatens to hijack funding for football team unless it revives racist logo

https://www.rawstory.com/steve-daines-washington-commanders-football/

The Washington Commander's name change from the Redskins is triggering Republican Sen. Steve Daines (R-MT), who said he would refuse to fund the team until they change the name back, Forbes reported.

Native Americans had protested the Redskin's name for about 50 years, the Washington Post recalled amid the name change. In July 2020, multinational corporations known for sponsoring sporting events joined the demand. At one point, even Nike pulled the Redskins merchandise from its website.

But Daines is threatening to block funding for a badly needed new stadium unless the controversial name returns.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Sabers1 ,  
       Curious to understand your opinion of these Democrats?

Gavin Newsome .

John Stewart 

From the outside , looking in ,.

To me It seems either would have the cunning to stop Trump by death of a thousand cuts .

Newsom - He's screwed up with too much in California.

Jon Stewart - Smart guy, but we don't need Hollywood in the Oval Office.

If Trump slips up and the Democratic base shows up to the polls, I still think there's a chance that Biden beats him.  That is if Biden doesn't withdraw from the election between now and the nomination gathering.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im not sure the interview will reverse all the damage as an interview can be easy rehearsed and has all the questions prior. He will need to have a good next debate to show he can still think on his feet. They need a new candidate imo as I have concerns about the difference of his mental state from 4 years to now, what will it look like in another 4 years? Things can decline fast once they start going. He would be pushing 86 years old at the end of his next term, which is insane to be running the country with the largest economy in the world. Trump is too old too, but seems to be in slightly better shape.     

A good interview would only be the start of putting his reputation back together.  It won't solve the age problem, but if he can manage to not show his age and infirmities for the next 4 1/2 months, he still has a chance to win the election.

If the poll slipping is arrested and, this is the big one, the money keeps flowing in from donors, Biden will most likely stay in the race unless the Democratic party changes the rules again and finds a way to boot him off of the nomination.

The Democrat's dishonesty has come home to roost.  They admit they knew this was happening to Biden for over a year.  I suspect it was longer than that.  I don't trust either party as people know, but my trust in the Democrats has cratered because of this.

1 hour ago, andrea84 said:

You need to take a break from pretending to be knowledgeable in law and politics.

You go on to YouTube videos as your post in response to your parroting of social media?!  Who's the less knowledgeable one now?

Do yourself a huge favour and put me on ignore.  Nobody ever takes my advice when I ask them to put me on ignore, but I really hope that you become the first.

If you do, you'll be happier that way and won't have to put up with a bast*rd Nazi/fascist like me who isn't in lockstep with your belief system

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

A good interview would only be the start of putting his reputation back together.  It won't solve the age problem, but if he can manage to not show his age and infirmities for the next 4 1/2 months, he still has a chance to win the election.

If the poll slipping is arrested and, this is the big one, the money keeps flowing in from donors, Biden will most likely stay in the race unless the Democratic party changes the rules again and finds a way to boot him off of the nomination.

The Democrat's dishonesty has come home to roost.  They admit they knew this was happening to Biden for over a year.  I suspect it was longer than that.  I don't trust either party as people know, but my trust in the Democrats has cratered because of this.

Yeah definitely should have been addressed sooner, we might be too close now for a major change as Donors have already probably shelled out big bucks and would be a costly pivot to advertise a new candidate. Seeing Biden needing help walking down stairs makes me sad for democracy. The west needs to make changes on the eligibility requirements to be president or prime minister. Especially with BRICS countries closing the gap fast economically. Social media has changed the game. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You go on to YouTube videos as your post in response to your parroting of social media?!  Who's the less knowledgeable one now?

Do yourself a huge favour and put me on ignore.  Nobody ever takes my advice when I ask them to put me on ignore, but I really hope that you become the first.

If you do, you'll be happier that way and won't have to put up with a bast*rd Nazi/fascist like me who isn't in lockstep with your belief system

I hope they don't put you on ignore

It's too rich seeing the reply to a comment about being on social media too much, involve a video from another social media site

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I hope they don't put you on ignore

It's too rich seeing the reply to a comment about being on social media too much, involve a video from another social media site

It would be better for her emotional state if she put me on ignore.

I will never take part in groupthink and let my emotions rule what I do and say.  I think George Orwell was a brilliant futurist by way of understanding our past.  He predicted much of what is going on in society today.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Newsom - He's screwed up with too much in California.

Jon Stewart - Smart guy, but we don't need Hollywood in the Oval Office.

If Trump slips up and the Democratic base shows up to the polls, I still think there's a chance that Biden beats him.  That is if Biden doesn't withdraw from the election between now and the nomination gathering.

At this point I'm wondering what a Trump slip up even is? He's on the record calling for jailing his opponents, military tribunals, talking with Putin prior to the Invasion of Ukraine and he's named in the recent Epstein transcripts dump that detail him very explicitly raping two 12 year old girls. Yet no one cares or is reporting on it.

And all the talk now is why the Dems are losing credibility. 

• ThereItIs 1