US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, that rooftop should have been occupied.  But as someone pointed out, there are limited resources available.  The official general election campaign hasn't started yet.  

ai2html-output-540-wide.jpg

That is a fairly significant angle, from the podium area.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Looks like the shooter was a republican kid who had an obsession with getting rid of people on the Epstein list, but too early to tell.

The rhetoric will change completely from the "dangerous left" to "unity and coming together" lol.

Where is that bit of info coming from?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Looks like the shooter was a republican kid who had an obsession with getting rid of people on the Epstein list, but too early to tell.

The rhetoric will change completely from the "dangerous left" to "unity and coming together" lol.

Or he was a democrat who changed his affiliation to republican to vote for Nikki Haley (a common strategy of democrats this cycle).

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/story/2024-01-08/register-republican-vote-nikki-haley-thats-how-we-stop-trump

His donation to Act Blue and the fact he targeted Trump lead a lot more toward that being the reality than anything else.

But, of course, liberals are going to come up with ridiculous reasoning behind the shooter's motivations.

Why don't we wait for more information?

• Like 1

Just now, Petey O said:

Or he was a democrat who changed his affiliation to republican to vote for Nikki Haley (a common strategy of democrats this cycle).

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/story/2024-01-08/register-republican-vote-nikki-haley-thats-how-we-stop-trump

His donation to Act Blue and the fact he targeted Trump lead a lot more toward that being the reality than anything else.

But, of course, liberals are going to come up with ridiculous reasoning behind the shooter's motivations.

The cope is real 

The shooter didn’t just randomly open up, he had to climb up the building with his rifle and then set up into a shooting position, this took some time. I think it has to be answered how this was missed. If I had to bet, and I’m purely speculating, my guess would be complacency.

• Cheers 1

Within minutes after Trump shooting, misinformation started flying. ‘Everyone is just speculating’

Within minutes of the gunfire, the apparent attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump spawned a vast sea of claims — some outlandish, others contradictory — reflecting the frightening uncertainties of the moment as well as America’s fevered, polarized political climate.

The cloudburst of speculation and conjecture as Americans turned to the internet for news about the shooting is the latest sign of how social media has emerged as a dominant source of information — and misinformation — for many, and a contributor to the distrust and turbulence now driving American politics.

Mentions of Trump on social media soared up to 17 times the average daily amount in the hours after the shooting, according to PeakMetrics, a cyber firm that tracks online narratives. Many of those mentions were expressions of sympathy for Trump or calls for unity. But many others made unfounded, fantastical claims.

“We saw things like ‘The Chinese were behind it,’ or ‘Antifa was behind it,’ or ‘the Biden administration did it.’ We also saw a claim that the RNC was behind it,’” said Paul Bartel, senior intelligence analyst at PeakMetrics. “Everyone is just speculating. No one really knows what’s going on. They go online to try to figure it out.”

https://apnews.com/article/trump-assassination-biden-tiktok-misinformation-fact-check-4b7ab8e21c00aa6ef47f25ec76984fe6

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Easy targets to blame.

If there wasn’t law enforcement posted on every side of buildings with direct sight lines that’s 100% on secret service.

How many rallies has Trump held across the country in the last year? Yet some are suggesting that security is incompetent or at least negligent. If anything with all the angst and anger that he generates you would think he would have heightened security. It is good to ask the questions as whether it is Trump or Biden it threatens democracy. 

1 minute ago, Petey O said:

You're so mad it wasn't a democrat who did this aren't you?

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The shooter didn’t just randomly open up, he had to climb up the building with his rifle and then set up into a shooting position, this took some time. I think it has to be answered how this was missed. If I had to bet, and I’m purely speculating, my guess would be complacency.

Not enough raw carrots

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

The cope is real 

"Coping" would be trying to come up with a conspiratorial spin when there's valid information out there about the shooter's motivations.

There's not.

So, how am I coping?

The biggest copers are liberals

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Or everyone was watching trump speaking. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

There is at least 22 structures in this small image alone. Again: when trump has had a thousand events in the years since leaving office: how much security is the required amount? Enough to keep him safe from foreseeable threats is the answer. Unfortunately crazy is the highest level of unforeseen events. All well. I think i am wasting my breathe... Have fun in the thread, but if we are gonna do conspiracies vs incompetence as the only two choices, i am out. 

A shooter is the number one event they’re preparing for though. That should be their prime focus.

Maybe at least secure the building closest to the stage?

Just now, Petey O said:

"Coping" would be trying to come up with a conspiratorial spin when there's valid information out there about the shooter's motivations.

There's not.

So, how am I coping?

Uh huh. Liberals. Does the US have those? 

8 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Absolute hero. I hope the scumbag shooter rots in hell, including the people (you know who you are) who were cheering him on.

Be the change you want to see happen.

FTR, the shooter is dead. 

Rather than "rot in hell" maybe something to change the hostile narrative or you're no better than the rest of the "get him" crowd.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

You're so mad it wasn't a democrat who did this aren't you?

No. I dislike RINO types even more than I do democrats.

It doesn't change anything if he's a registered republican or democrat.

It's hilarious that liberals in here have turned into conspiracy theorists overnight.

Just now, Petey O said:

No. I dislike RINO types even more than I do democrats.

It doesn't change anything if he's a registered republican or democrat.

It's hilarious that liberals in here have turned into conspiracy theorists overnight.

No what's actually hilarious is the amount of coping from drumpf supporters in here who were convinced the shooter was a democrat and now have to backtrack their narrative. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How many rallies has Trump held across the country in the last year? Yet some are suggesting that security is incompetent or at least negligent. If anything with all the angst and anger that he generates you would think he would have heightened security. It is good to ask the questions as whether it is Trump or Biden it threatens democracy. 

So if they save the president from being shot 9 times out of 10 they’re doing their job well? 🤣

7 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Am opinion column is not a fact.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Yup.  Another report said the act blue donation was from an older guy with the same name.  Might be a different person altogether from the shooter. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

No what's actually hilarious is the amount of coping from drumpf supporters in here who were convinced the shooter was a democrat and now have to backtrack their narrative. 

You really don't understand voter registration in the US if you think merely being registered as one or the other is significant.

It's so, so easy to change affiliations in order to vote for candidates of either party you'd like to win, or to vote against someone.

Leftists using his voter registration despite a donation to ActBlue to declare him a social republican is typical.

3 minutes ago, Petey O said:

There's not.

So, how am I coping?

Well us liberals have a lot historical precedent to refer to.

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/23/mass-killings-extremism-adl-report-2022

All U.S. extremist mass killings in 2022 linked to far right, report says

Right-wing extremists committed every ideologically driven mass killing identified in the U.S. in 2022, with an "unusually high" proportion perpetrated by white supremacists, according to a new report published Thursday.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Yup.  Another report said the act blue donation was from an older guy with the same name.  Might be a different person altogether from the shooter. 

This is false, and a basic google search will tell you this.