US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure you fully understand Dave.  The Twitter source posted a video from CNN which showed Van Jones talking about Biden and Trump.  It was a video from CNN TV.  The Twitter source did not doctor the video or say anything differently in the tweet other than what was said in the video.  

I don't think you fully understand how Twitter works, so there is really no point in having me explain this further to you.

I totally understand how twitter works.

People post shit - confirmation bias.

You are searching for information that backs up your beliefs/hypothesis.

Me I want factual news from reputable sources that have the least bias.

My bias is the truth.

Not some conspiracy theory. 

Why would you want to use a source that is known for pushing conspiracy theories and publishing fake news ?

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are a good person my friend.

Why do you post information from sources like these.

It can't get any worse.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/breaking911/

The lowest factual reporting.

And listed as a questionable source, one that promotes conspiracy theories and publication of false information. 

I actually watched it live on TV.  Not sure what you think is false?

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Whitmer likely wouldn't play well with conservative leaning independents because of her COVID related controversies. 

Although, Whitmer has the potential to ensure that the Democrats take Michigan though so there's a chance that they'd risk it I suppose.  Then take the savings from less spending in Michigan and move that money to the next closest swing state in an effort to swing those electoral votes.

Except the vast majority of people supported covid policies

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I totally understand how twitter works.

People post shit - confirmation bias.

You are searching for information that backs up your beliefs/hypothesis.

Me I want factual news from reputable sources that have the least bias.

My bias is the truth.

Not some conspiracy theory. 

Why would you want to use a source that is known for pushing conspiracy theories and publishing fake news ?

Just go to cnn.com and you will see the same stuff. Lead headline this morning is about Polosi telling Biden he can’t beat Trump and needs to rethink what his running will do to the Democratic Party. 
“Pelosi privately told Biden polls show he cannot win and will take down the House”

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure you fully understand Dave.  The Twitter source posted a video from CNN which showed Van Jones talking about Biden and Trump.  It was a video from CNN TV.  The Twitter source did not doctor the video or say anything differently in the tweet other than what was said in the video.  

I don't think you fully understand how Twitter works, so there is really no point in having me explain this further to you.

I hope Biden bows out and the DNC finds a viable candidate. I doubt Harris is that. It is highly likely the GOP take POTUS, the House and the Senate if nothing changes. While I do not think Trump is a nazi or a fool I do not want that much power in his hands. I do not like his apparent willingness to abandon Ukraine to the Russians. I do empathize with American resentment over Europeans sticking the USA with NATO costs. That is changing so hopefully Trump will recognize that.

I am very concerned about a Trump admin's relations with Canada. The J D Vance speech re-enforced my concerns in spades. Vance specifically criticized NAFTA and repeated the GOP initiative of reshoring industry back to the USA. Canada will be a prime target. Combine that with Canada's underfunding of the military and brownie points will be few in Washington. While Ottawa surely is developing contingency plans there are few cards to play. Suggesting states that do a lot of business in Canada will save Canada is a weak hope and a poor plan for survival. When Trump renegotiated NAFTA the last time he cut a deal with Mexico and told Canada to take it or leave it. Bilateral deals strengthen the USA position and Mexico has already shown they will throw Canada under the bus. Canadians should be very concerned. 

Trump understands debt he uses a lot of it. His admin will know how bad the debt issue is in Canada and will take advantage of this weak position.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I hope Biden bows out and the DNC finds a viable candidate. I doubt Harris is that. It is highly likely the GOP take POTUS, the House and the Senate if nothing changes. While I do not think Trump is a nazi or a fool I do not want that much power in his hands. I do not like his apparent willingness to abandon Ukraine to the Russians. I do empathize with American resentment over Europeans sticking the USA with NATO costs. That is changing so hopefully Trump will recognize that.

I am very concerned about a Trump admin's relations with Canada. The J D Vance speech re-enforced my concerns in spades. Vance specifically criticized NAFTA and repeated the GOP initiative of reshoring industry back to the USA. Canada will be a prime target. Combine that with Canada's underfunding of the military and brownie points will be few in Washington. While Ottawa surely is developing contingency plans there are few cards to play. Suggesting states that do a lot of business in Canada will save Canada is a weak hope and a poor plan for survival. When Trump renegotiated NAFTA the last time he cut a deal with Mexico and told Canada to take it or leave it. Bilateral deals strengthen the USA position and Mexico has already shown they will throw Canada under the bus. Canadians should be very concerned. 

Trump understands debt he uses a lot of it. His admin will know how bad the debt issue is in Canada and will take advantage of this weak position.   

If Biden does step aside, it will be interesting to see who the Democrats choose to run. Do they keep Harris or go to a totally new ticket? Would a Harris - Whitmer ticket work? Would they rather have Newsom instead of two women? 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Biden does step aside, it will be interesting to see who the Democrats choose to run. Do they keep Harris or go to a totally new ticket? Would a Harris - Whitmer ticket work? Would they rather have Newsom instead of two women? 

I like newsom, but I think it gives Trump and thd Repugs too much ammunition......an us vs the Hollywood elites kind of thing.  Harris is already from California.....two from Cali is too much I think.  I also don't think Newsom gives up his governorship for a VP role.

Whitmer gives them some Midwest appeal, a name on the ticket to appeal to the blue collar voter and if anything is going to win them this election, it's the right to choose.  If you go all in on that issue, there's no better way to do it than two women on the ticket, imo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

????

So you dont want elected officials to have the opportunity to question/investigate the bureaucracy after the country was millimeters from being thrown into complete chaos because of them.

Excellent endorsement of democracy! 

Like this isn't science, this is an incident that everyone is well aware of, it shouldn't be that difficult or unreasonable a request for them to explain how things happened truthfully from their perspective. 

Shouldn't they at least finish the investigation first?

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know much about Whitmer other than her dispute on the Enbridge line. She wanted it shut down and Biden had to over rule her. She seems to be popular in her state. Newsom, I don't know. California is losing people. What does that mean? Harris has lots of negative press but that is likely political in nature. Something to be said about reaching outside of mainstream politicians for a candidate. If Joe is turfed then maybe Harris is considered part of the problem and a whole new ticket is put forward. The momentum of such a play could work well for the DNC. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know much about Whitmer other than her dispute on the Enbridge line. She wanted it shut down and Biden had to over rule her. She seems to be popular in her state. Newsom, I don't know. California is losing people. What does that mean? Harris has lots of negative press but that is likely political in nature. Something to be said about reaching outside of mainstream politicians for a candidate. If Joe is turfed then maybe Harris is considered part of the problem and a whole new ticket is put forward. The momentum of such a play could work well for the DNC. 

Problem is they can't get rid of Harris. Dem is going to have a huge black vote turnout issue if she is not the replacement unless Jefferies take over at this point of the game.

Edited by 24K

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

California is actually gaining population again and is the 5th largest economy in the world.  With California, most red states couldn't function.

That said, a Harris/Newsome ticket is a bad idea, imo.

I think Harris can beat Trump........she's closer to the centre than the left and she's a trial attorney, she'll smoke Trump in a debate, imo

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Problem us they can't get rid of Harris. Dem us going to have a huge black vote turnout issue if she is not the replacement unless Jefferies take over at this point of the game.

They need a woman, not a man, imo.  This election starts and ends with a woman's right to choose.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

People have been saying we are weak vs the US on trade since Mulroney's first negotiation on the original FTA. 

How is Canada being the #1 trade partner with 30+ states a "weak position"?

You forgot that there are a lot of us jobs linked to exports to Canada.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Harris-Obama would kick ass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Harris-Obama would kick ass.

I don't think so, not for this ticket.  There's already too much ammunition about Obama calling the shots with Biden

Just now, Alflives said:

That would be ideal. For sure, they would beat Trump. 

It won't happen but it's fun to think about.

Once Joe sees the light (not that light) and steps aside the dems will coalesce around the right ticket quickly imo.

It won't happen but it's fun to think about.

Once Joe sees the light (not that light) and steps aside the dems will coalesce around the right ticket quickly imo.

Then the focus of the press could move away from the negative on Biden and back to all the “shot storm”  Trump is. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then the focus of the press could move away from the negative on Biden and back to all the “shot storm”  Trump is. 

Hopefully it focuses on kitchen table stuff. They need to convince people their families will be better off, imo anyway.

Everyone knows what trump is.

Hopefully it focuses on kitchen table stuff. They need to convince people their families will be better off, imo anyway.

Everyone knows what trump is.

Do people who vote for Trump really know what Trump is? These MAGA morans think Trump is divine. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Do people who vote for Trump really know what Trump is? These MAGA morans think Trump is divine. 

Well, kinda? The millions of evangelicals think he's Jesus 2.0

Then there's the ones that would never vote dem no matter what.

You're most of the way to his support base with this.

The dems need to sell the swing states on jobs, and also bring out more women to their side. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Well, kinda? The millions of evangelicals think he's Jesus 2.0

Then there's the ones that would never vote dem no matter what.

You're most of the way to his support base with this.

The dems need to sell the swing states on jobs, and also bring out more women to their side. 

All true. But if Biden continues along this path and runs again the map of voting could look similar to Nixon in ‘72.

image.png.fdc0709c1478d137a4fbfe1b13bcde7c.png

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true. But if Biden continues along this path and runs again the map of voting could look similar to Nixon in ‘72.

image.png.fdc0709c1478d137a4fbfe1b13bcde7c.png

That worked out real swell

• Vintage 1