US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

22 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Well shouldn't have gotten them to get rid of the nukes then....  😉

I'm sorta glad they no longer had them.  With as corrupt as Ukraine has been historically, they would have eventually proliferated to some really bad people.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Five possible candidates who poll better than biden in swing states.  Though I think harris would be rge candidate, I think all 5 here would be vp possibilities 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4777222-biden-replacement-democrats-battleground/amp/

I really like the sound of a Whitmer-Moore ticket. 

Women check, people of color check. 

Edited by 24K

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm sorta glad they no longer had them.  With as corrupt as Ukraine has been historically, they would have eventually proliferated to some really bad people.

If we trust Russia and Pakistan with Nukes, I'd trust Ukraine. I'm surprised Pakistan hasn't had that issue either.

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Who cares who did it. Someone had insider info and this is the way more likely reason than some grand conspiracy to assassinate Trump with a 20 year old. 

Except the stock didn't tank, which is the purpose of shorting a stock.  In fact, Trump stock went UP on the Monday by over 60% at one point...

After an assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump at his rally in Pennsylvania on July 13, election polls weren’t the only charts that were bringing gains to the former President. 

Trump’s social media, “Truth Social,” which trades under the ticker Trump Media & Technology Group (NASDAQ: DJT), experienced a 64.11% surge in the 24-hour trading, increasing from $30.89 to $50.67 in hours.

Yes, I agree, someone had insider information.  In terms of what was going to take place Saturday night...

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I love that you posted the other day about US robbing us of our natural resources only to sell them at premium costs world wide so they make all the profits...

Maybe if they hard ball on NAFTA we will be forced to finally beef up our own industries and sell products world wide instead of just to one country.

Having US control our economy as such has always bugged me. We should be more independent from them.

The current strategy we have with them is a very familiar scenario in my world...in the natural gas industry there are lots of stories where single source energy providers use their leverage to force the hands of other companies. In example lots of natural gas facilities i've operated have multiple contracts with several natural gas providers to keep our facility full production wise and creates healthy competition. We also then get to dictate the gas contracts coming into our facility and not the other way around.

Then you have other places that have only ONE source of gas supplier and those sites are always struggling to maintain their finances because they are always having to drop their rates to ensure the only gas supply they have stays on to run their facility...not a healthy model. Eventually those plants get choked out and then bought up by the gas supplier who was playing hard ball with them.

We are resource rich country, with vast land and commodities, we should be much better off than we currently are. But unfortunately we have decided that selling our raw goods is the better way to go. To me that leaves our country empty of "final/end products" to use at our own will if times get tough...If we manufactured more goods we'd have more for ourselves as well.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact it's cheaper to ship raw goods across the ocean to China, Taiwan, etc have them manufacture the goods, ship them back across the ocean, then sell the final products in our stores. That is cheaper than doing the full manufacturing circle locally in our own country...so maybe this will never change but it would be nice to see if it did become a reality.

USA capital markets are so big that individual companies in Canada have a hard time staying independent. It goes against what I know but I am starting to think Canada has to develop a more protectionist trade policy. Not sure what free trade has actually delivered. Yes, I realize auto jobs and their spinoffs which is significant. I just don't know if some of that could have happened with Canadian industry or bi-lateral deals where Canadian interests were better protected. IMHO there is a real risk that NAFTA gets taken out and we are faced with bi-lateral deals anyway.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I really like the sound of a Whitmer-Moore ticket. 

I don't think any of them would be more than a VP pick.......the top spot would be Harris, imo.  She's by far the most qualified for the job.  I think whitmer, Moore and Shapiro would all be a strong presence on the ticket

On 7/16/2024 at 10:40 PM, CBH1926 said:

This is going to turn out like the 2nd shooter theory that has been circulating since JFK was assassinated. 

Or the "helicopter" theory, after the Vegas concert shooting.

It's obvious that some clowns on Xitter have gotten ahold of some misleading comments and observations and sucked in some rubes.....(and some CFF posters, it seems) :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

USA capital markets are so big that individual companies in Canada have a hard time staying independent. It goes against what I know but I am starting to think Canada has to develop a more protectionist trade policy. Not sure what free trade has actually delivered. Yes, I realize auto jobs and their spinoffs which is significant. I just don't know if some of that could have happened with Canadian industry or bi-lateral deals where Canadian interests were better protected. IMHO there is a real risk that NAFTA gets taken out and we are faced with bi-lateral deals anyway.  

Honestly, it's one thing I hate to admit. But if Canada could afford to keep it's business a little more in house and still maintain decent profits that still would attract outside investment, they would have done it by now.

As much as I wish for the opposite, the reality is, it would probably be more expensive than we're willing to pay to produce goods locally in Canada. Which is why things are outsourced as they are. Local economy just can't compete with low labour costs from over seas.

And I doubt anyone would be willing to pay more for locally produced goods if it costs more than things already are...even if you throw in the argument that it would be a major carbon emission reduction if we made more Canadian products. 

I do agree we need to beef up our international trades, get our raw products to more locations than just China and US. I know natural gas wise we were looking at getting LNG over to Europe to assist in helping them transition away from Russian fed natural gas...but that could take a while.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think any of them would be more than a VP pick.......the top spot would be Harris, imo.  She's by far the most qualified for the job.  I think whitmer, Moore and Shapiro would all be a strong presence on the ticket

Yeah problem is I think voters want a fresh voice under the 'punishing incumbent' trend. 

The article posted stated that Harris polls the worst among the alternative likely due to her being the 2nd in command of Biden. She is just barely doing a bit better than Biden. 

But I agree, she ain't gonna just voluntarily step down and there will be a reckoning with black voter if Dems force her our without another black replacement hence Moore. 

13 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yeah problem is I think voters want a fresh voice under the 'punishing incumbent' trend. 

The article posted stated that Harris polls the worst among the alternative likely due to her being the 2nd in command of Biden. She is just barely doing a bit better than Biden. 

But I agree, she ain't gonna just voluntarily step down and there will be a reckoning with black voter if Dems force her our without another black replacement hence Moore. 

I think the low numbers are largely because she's just not "out" there and people don't really know her.  She's smart and tough, I think she'd have pretty broad appeal to people who are looking for a progressive candidate and Aldo to those who don't want some bleeding heart liberal.

25 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Honestly, it's one thing I hate to admit. But if Canada could afford to keep it's business a little more in house and still maintain decent profits that still would attract outside investment, they would have done it by now.

As much as I wish for the opposite, the reality is, it would probably be more expensive than we're willing to pay to produce goods locally in Canada. Which is why things are outsourced as they are. Local economy just can't compete with low labour costs from over seas.

And I doubt anyone would be willing to pay more for locally produced goods if it costs more than things already are...even if you throw in the argument that it would be a major carbon emission reduction if we made more Canadian products. 

I do agree we need to beef up our international trades, get our raw products to more locations than just China and US. I know natural gas wise we were looking at getting LNG over to Europe to assist in helping them transition away from Russian fed natural gas...but that could take a while.

I think we all need to accept the era of cheap, foreign slave type labour is mostly over.  China, as we know it, is largely over a cheap labour source and though others might step up, those countries will have to build the infrastructure to support that kind of industry.

With supply chain issues, I think corporations might just think a north American isolationist policy is easier.

5 minutes ago, AliasUnknown said:

Here is another source regarding $DJT short selling.

This is dumber than Gamestop and Gamestop at least had a guy crunching the numbers for a year behind it.