US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/hunter-biden-cites-judge-cannon-ruling-in-attempt-to-dismiss-his-case/ar-BB1qeINQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d3eb8d403fe14ac3b0441b7a16bcd361&ei=20

"US District Court Judge Aileen Cannon — who was appointed to the bench by Donald Trump — dismissed the former president's Mar-a-Lago classified documents case earlier this week, which The Washington Post reports is "what many legal scholars considered the strongest criminal case against the" MAGA hopeful "and the one that was on the surest legal footing."

Now, Hunter Biden is seeking "to dismiss the criminal tax and gun cases against him," and using Cannon's ruling to justify his reasoning, according to CNBC.

Characterizing special counsel Jack Smith as a "private citizen exercising the full power of a United States Attorney," the Trump-appointed judge ruled that Smith — who brought the documents case against Trump — was unconstitutionally appointed.

"

"The Attorney General relied upon the exact same authority to appoint the Special Counsel in both the Trump and Biden matters, and both appointments are invalid for the same reason," Hunter Biden’s attorneys submitted in their filing, according to CNBC.

ABC News reports the lawyers added, "Different defendants but same constitutional flaws. Who the individual is who is the subject of investigation by an improperly appointed Special Counsel cannot make a difference in applying the law."

Genius by Hunter. Put GOP and MAGA in a tough spot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bell said:

Republicans bringing out the big guns to their convention tonight..  Linda Macmahon,  Hulk freaking Hogan,  Dana White and the dumbest of the Trump kids Eric.  What a fkn  dumpster fire

Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

29 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Look no further than Japan for proof of this.  Their GDP growth has been non existent for decades

Japan's real time bomb is the debt/GDP of 264. The next major country is Singapore at 168. USA is 122 and Canada is 107. It's a huge problem.

15 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I wonder if they're just timing the release of this to either not have the RNC coverage overshadow it, or not give them any ammunition during the RNC that they can react to live.

I'm betting what you're going to see is an open convention and a free for all. The only problem with this is candidates who want to wait out another 4 years of trumpster fire may feel it's best for them to ride in in 4 years time.

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/hunter-biden-cites-judge-cannon-ruling-in-attempt-to-dismiss-his-case/ar-BB1qeINQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d3eb8d403fe14ac3b0441b7a16bcd361&ei=20

"US District Court Judge Aileen Cannon — who was appointed to the bench by Donald Trump — dismissed the former president's Mar-a-Lago classified documents case earlier this week, which The Washington Post reports is "what many legal scholars considered the strongest criminal case against the" MAGA hopeful "and the one that was on the surest legal footing."

Now, Hunter Biden is seeking "to dismiss the criminal tax and gun cases against him," and using Cannon's ruling to justify his reasoning, according to CNBC.

Characterizing special counsel Jack Smith as a "private citizen exercising the full power of a United States Attorney," the Trump-appointed judge ruled that Smith — who brought the documents case against Trump — was unconstitutionally appointed.

"

"The Attorney General relied upon the exact same authority to appoint the Special Counsel in both the Trump and Biden matters, and both appointments are invalid for the same reason," Hunter Biden’s attorneys submitted in their filing, according to CNBC.

ABC News reports the lawyers added, "Different defendants but same constitutional flaws. Who the individual is who is the subject of investigation by an improperly appointed Special Counsel cannot make a difference in applying the law."

Iron GIF by Design Museum Gent

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I think we all need to accept the era of cheap, foreign slave type labour is mostly over.  China, as we know it, is largely over a cheap labour source and though others might step up, those countries will have to build the infrastructure to support that kind of industry.

With supply chain issues, I think corporations might just think a north American isolationist policy is easier.

Good point to bring up. Supply chain issues have been massive since Covid. For us to get parts it's a ridiculous wait time. We started housing a critical spare parts inventory at all our facilities. Spent millions on it just to make sure we are ok. Some things are 3-4 month wait time and we can't afford to be shut down that long.

This may indeed be a saving grace to build locally. 

Mexicans are building a rail net work over land to compete with Panama Canal and that could squash things. But time will tell on all that. Reliability wise that is if they can keep up to demand when the rail line is built.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, 24K said:

Genius by Hunter. Put GOP and MAGA in a tough spot. 

MAGA won't care though? The main point was to delay the trial till after the election so Trump would be immune. Good for Hunter tho.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Good point to bring up. Supply chain issues have been massive since Covid. For us to get parts it's a ridiculous wait time. We started housing a critical spare parts inventory at all our facilities. Spent millions on it just to make sure we are ok. Some things are 3-4 month wait time and we can't afford to be shut down that long.

This may indeed be a saving grace to build locally. 

Mexicans are building a rail net work over land to compete with Panama Canal and that could squash things. But time will tell on all that. Reliability wise that is if they can keep up to demand when the rail line is built.

I've even heard talk of an actual canal at the southern end of mexico

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

I can't recall the last time an election was based on the good things a party did, or believes in; instead of 'my opponent is an idiot' type talk.

Watch the first video in that article and note how the researcher points out that once a topic is framed negatively, that is the perception that sticks.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/why-negative-campaigning-works-and-how-fight-it

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I actually watched it live on TV.  Not sure what you think is false?

You watch what ?

CNN ?

Again they are rated as mostly factual, due to a couple of failed fact checks. 

Who knows if all their claims stories have been checked.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

I trust news sources that have never had any failed fact checks, and those that are certified fact checkers.

33 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

You watch what ?

CNN ?

Again they are rated as mostly factual, due to a couple of failed fact checks. 

Who knows if all their claims stories have been checked.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

I trust news sources that have never had any failed fact checks, and those that are certified fact checkers.

OMG...I watched Van Jone say it live lol. What part don't you understand. 

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

If we trust Russia and Pakistan with Nukes, I'd trust Ukraine. I'm surprised Pakistan hasn't had that issue either.

I'm glad we didn't take the chance.  They had a ton of old Soviet nukes. 

People are in love with Ukraine now because they're victims.  Before their victimhood, they were among the most corrupt countries in the world. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Tucker getting a standing ovation like a returning hero says all you need to know about the RNC

CNN -  Carlson was fiercely critical of Trump in private text messages released as part of Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit last year, with the former Fox News host saying he “passionately” hated the former president.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People are in love with Ukraine now because they're victims.  Before their victimhood, they were among the most corrupt countries in the world. 

Due to Russian meddling in their politics.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

OMG...I watched Van Jone say it live lol. What part don't you understand. 

Calm down champ.

All I am stating is that I don't trust any news source that has failed fact checks. 

Van Jone seems like a decent bloke.

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Do you agree then that Russia shouldn't have nukes? The corruption was imported from them being part of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union. 

I do agree, we need less countries with Nukes though, but if Corruption is the main issue then there are bigger dogs to be concerned about

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Do you agree then that Russia shouldn't have nukes? The corruption was imported from them being part of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union. 

I do agree, we need less countries with Nukes though, but if Corruption is the main issue then there are bigger dogs to be concerned about

I never cared about their corruption and will go back to not caring after we stop giving them money.  Their corruption is Europe and Russia's problem. 

We don't count on their massive food production.

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That may be the case, but they aren't innocent angels.

Massive improvements have been made though.   That's one of the things Zelensky ran on to become President.   They are also very closely audited by the west these days which has led to a forced improvement.  Hopefully it all continues to improve and sticks.

• Cheers 1