US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I never cared about their corruption and will go back to not caring after we stop giving them money.  Their corruption is Europe and Russia's problem. 

We don't count on their massive food production.

Unless you are isolationist. Russia is Europe and NATO's problem, and the international framework of laws and institutions set up by your forefathers in the US after WWII relies on keeping them in check. As long as USA is keen on acting as a superpower, that falls under their interests. The corruption hits home too from all the dark super-PAC money that flows from them.

You aren't counting on Ukraine for food, Europe and ironically China are, but for their strategic location and as a means to keep Russia occupied and not encroaching on Europe.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

Massive improvements have been made though.   That's one of the things Zelensky ran on to become President.   They are also very closely audited by the west these days which has led to a forced improvement.  Hopefully it all continues to improve and sticks.

That's fine.  I also hope it sticks when the conflict with Russia is finally over.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Unless you are isolationist. Russia is Europe and NATO's problem, and the international framework of laws and institutions set up by your forefathers in the US after WWII relies on keeping them in check. As long as USA is keen on acting as a superpower, that falls under their interests. The corruption hits home too from all the dark super-PAC money that flows from them.

You aren't counting on Ukraine for food, Europe and ironically China are, but for their strategic location and as a means to keep Russia occupied and not encroaching on Europe.

I'm an isolationist as far as not wanting to police that part of the world except for defending a NATO country.  After Russia pulls out of Ukraine, they'll likely apply for NATO membership and if accepted, then I will care about them because I'll have no other choice.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I've even heard talk of an actual canal at the southern end of mexico

That idea was floated around the time the Panama Canal was being considered but discarded. One reason why Panama was selected was because of the presence of Gatun Lake, an enormous body of water that is replenished frequently due to tropical rain patterns. Mexico IS building a 300km rail line from Tehauntepec on the Pacific to Coatzacoalcos on the Gulf of Mexico but is not considering a canal. There are mountains in the way and no large supply of water for the locks. The hope is that ships will offload goods at Salina Cruz which will then be moved by rail to the Gulf of Mexico to waiting ships (which have already offloaded goods for rail shipment to the empty ships at the Pacific end). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

the presence of Gatun Lake, an enormous body of water that is replenished frequently due to tropical rain patterns.

Used to be replenished, is currently under a drought, that is limiting the shipping.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/01/climate/panama-canal-drought.html#:~:text=The recent drought in the Panama Canal was,the canal for most of the past year.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Gurn said:

I can see how a drought would be catastrophic. Seems to be related to El Nino years. Thanks for the link.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, 24K said:

Corps won't leave USA. It is the largest consumer market in the world. Where are they gonna go? China? I doubt it. 

It is really an issue with smaller markets like Canada. 

Corps will most definitely move if it ends up saving them, and their shareholders, money. IIRC Ireland is becoming more and more popular because they have a minimal corporate tax rate. So that would be an option for many. UK would be another if the tax rates were better but I don't know if they are or not. Corps are a huge part of the american economy and stock market. This is one of America's edges being a global superpower. It is not in their best interest to disrupt that. Should they pay more tax? Yes, imo. Will they? Not likely.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Kid Rock and Trump are irl friends.  They actually go to UFC events together.

Kid Rock, Dana White, Hulk Hogan, James Aldean are all big Trumpers.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

That idea was floated around the time the Panama Canal was being considered but discarded. One reason why Panama was selected was because of the presence of Gatun Lake, an enormous body of water that is replenished frequently due to tropical rain patterns. Mexico IS building a 300km rail line from Tehauntepec on the Pacific to Coatzacoalcos on the Gulf of Mexico but is not considering a canal. There are mountains in the way and no large supply of water for the locks. The hope is that ships will offload goods at Salina Cruz which will then be moved by rail to the Gulf of Mexico to waiting ships (which have already offloaded goods for rail shipment to the empty ships at the Pacific end). 

I think they're pretty worried about the Panama canal because of severe drought

20 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Corps will most definitely move if it ends up saving them, and their shareholders, money. IIRC Ireland is becoming more and more popular because they have a minimal corporate tax rate. So that would be an option for many. UK would be another if the tax rates were better but I don't know if they are or not. Corps are a huge part of the american economy and stock market. This is one of America's edges being a global superpower. It is not in their best interest to disrupt that. Should they pay more tax? Yes, imo. Will they? Not likely.

How do you think corporation are taxed? All their profits from the globe are taxed by one country?

That is not how that work. They are taxed based income generated within a country. No matter where they move their HQ they still have to pay tax on income generated within a country. 

To a smaller consumer nation, the tax benefit may be enough to forgo a country completely but no corporation is just gonna abandon the largest consumer market on the planet. Like I said, only the US can get away with this. 

44 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Kid Rock performing at RNC.

We only hire the best. Lol.

kid rock makes music for people who are upset that the sudafed  is locked up in the pharmacy

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bell said:

Republicans bringing out the big guns to their convention tonight..  Linda Macmahon,  Hulk freaking Hogan,  Dana White and the dumbest of the Trump kids Eric.  What a fkn  dumpster fire

They had to bring Linda McMahon out because her ex husband has to much in common with Trump and wouldn't be a quality upstanding speaker

(if you know what I mean)

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sigh.  All the gd god talk, all the anointed, im here because he wanted me here nonsense.

Yucky

Vanilla Isis.  Texas Taliban etc

Why did God want that other guy dead tho? 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Sigh.  All the gd god talk, all the anointed, im here because he wanted me here nonsense.

Yucky

Vanilla Isis.  Texas Taliban etc

I went through this after my stroke and some of my close work colleagues who are very religious wouldnt stop with the "god wants you here for a reason" talk.

Very awkward

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

It’s an impressive operation the Panama Canal. The lake however is drying up and they aren’t able to fill the canal to full capacity to move the volume of ships they normally are used to. With the low waters they can only move so many ships at one time right now. Which is causing a massive back up in the supply chain. 

Indeed Mexico is already pushing forward and expecting to be completing the rail line is quick fashion…although I always worry about something built too quickly. It will come at a much needed time as Panama Canal is for the foreseeable future going to continue to fall behind.

They are toying with ideas of using ocean water to move ships thru the canal. But they will need massive water pipelines and pumping stations to get the ships up and over the highest point of the canal. Lots of work to do to get it done if they want to do it.

• ThereItIs 1