US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't wish anything bad on him, but there's a fine line between Asperger/Autism and just being kind of an as*hole whose word gets more and more difficult to believe as time goes on.

I appreciate his attitude of wanting to benefit humanity, but he's a proven liar and is starting to cross over into Thomas Edison sh*tbag territory.

I'm still going to defend him and his work, but he's making it more unpalatable to do it as time goes on.

I’ll defend his previous work, but his veering into Evil Bond territory is a redline for me. 

His ‘condition’ means nothing to me. 

He knows what he’s doing and saying. 

Billionaires mostly protect themselves and their Billions. 

I give him no quarter. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't wish anything bad on him, but there's a fine line between Asperger/Autism and just being kind of an as*hole whose word gets more and more difficult to believe as time goes on.

I appreciate his attitude of wanting to benefit humanity, but he's a proven liar and is starting to cross over into Thomas Edison sh*tbag territory.

I'm still going to defend him and his work, but he's making it more unpalatable to do it as time goes on.

he's had a positive impact on moving EVs forward (regardless of what happens with Tesla itself from this point on), and our cool new space travel era.

But he's a dink with some really lame social ideas. I can appreciate the former and forget about the latter in about 10 seconds as its meaningless blither. 

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’ll defend his previous work, but his veering into Evil Bond territory is a redline for me. 

His ‘condition’ means nothing to me. 

He knows what he’s doing and saying. 

Billionaires mostly protect themselves and their Billions. 

I give him no quarter. 

He has impulse control problems.  That's a major part of his asperger.  So saying things like I'll give $45 Million a month to the guy I'm emotional about right now is part and parcel of who he is.

I think he bought Twitter with good and admirable intentions, but when you say you're a free speech absolutist, but then ban people who say things that you don't like, you are just a hypocrite. 

I still prefer his version of Twitter over Jack's version, but the platform isn't doing him any favours.

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I wish nothing but bad for him and nothing but my best for his employees. 

Also wishing my best for his ‘dead son’. 

May they live their best life away from Elon’s disgusting influence. 

But...family values and whatnot...amirite?

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

he's had a positive impact on moving EVs forward (regardless of what happens with Tesla itself from this point on), and our cool new space travel era.

But he's a dink with some really lame social ideas. I can appreciate the former and forget about the latter in about 10 seconds as its meaningless blither. 

I get what you're saying.  I still land on him being a net positive, but I wouldn't want to have to be in a position to trust him. 

If he goes all-in on Edison and electrocutes an elephant, I'm out... lol

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He made a big contribution in making the US the powerhouse it is today both economically and military prowess. Widely regarded as one of upper tier presidents in US history. Took less in taxes in the short term and some pain that comes along with it, to invest in the long term future of the country. Him and Clinton both did great jobs growing US real GDP during their tenures allowing the US to separate themselves from the pack.   

Reagan gutted the middle class and Clinton sowed the seeds of the GFC when he repealed the Glass - Steagall act. 

In fact all the president's from Reagan up to and including Obama facilitated the flood of wealth to the wealthiest 10 percent of Americans since 1980. 

Here is an article by John Komlos, a former Duke economics professor and professor emeritus of economics and economic history at the University of Munich. 

" The Road to Trump Began With Reaganomics and The Loss of the Middle Class "

https://today.duke.edu/2019/01/road-trump-began-reaganomics-loss-middle-class-economist-says

Anyone who has researched American politics/economics knows this.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He has impulse control problems.  That's a major part of his asperger.  So saying things like I'll give $45 Million a month to the guy I'm emotional about right now is part and parcel of who he is.

I think he bought Twitter with good and admirable intentions, but when you say you're a free speech absolutist, but then ban people who say things that you don't like, you are just a hypocrite. 

I still prefer his version of Twitter over Jack's version, but the platform isn't doing him any favours.

Agree with you mostly. 

The last part opened up Twitter, to cesspool nonsense. 

Even when I filter out the nonsense, it seeps in like blood cancer. 

19 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Reagan gutted the middle class and Clinton sowed the seeds of the GFC when he repealed the Glass - Steagall act. 

In fact all the president's from Reagan up to and including Obama facilitated the flood of wealth to the wealthiest 10 percent of Americans since 1980. 

Here is an article by John Komlos, a former Duke economics professor and professor emeritus of economics and economic history at the University of Munich. 

" The Road to Trump Began With Reaganomics and The Loss of the Middle Class "

https://today.duke.edu/2019/01/road-trump-began-reaganomics-loss-middle-class-economist-says

Anyone who has researched American politics/economics knows this.

Exactly 

7 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I was reading somewhere today that Trump thought he was going to win in a landslide and decided on Vance to "rub it in". He figured it would turn an easy Ohio victory into an absolute rout and that it would be hugely popular with the MAGA base.

Basically, a wasted opportunity. He had Byron Donalds (among others) who would have been far better choices strategically....

"4D chess".....:classic_rolleyes:

to be fair, he thought he heard double D chest. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Day late, vote short? 

Or, the surge to the finish line? 

Just feels like a LOT of momentum.

…. And those who waffle in SCOTUS are about to feel the heat .

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agree with you mostly. 

The last part opened up Twitter, to cesspool nonsense. 

Even when I filter out the nonsense, it seeps in like blood cancer. 

I look at it as, it's humanity, warts and all.  I don't need someone deciding what I consume.

I also don't like echo chambers.  Old Twitter was just one giant echo chamber.

45 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I get what you're saying.  I still land on him being a net positive, but I wouldn't want to have to be in a position to trust him. 

If he goes all-in on Edison and electrocutes an elephant, I'm out... lol

don't give him any ideas. I do think people didn't get the point with his online crap, he's about pandering to whoever in government will give him more money for more tech toys. I doubt he believes much of what he says. Or maybe he does, who knows. 

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Actually he could cost Harris.  I figured he'd bleed off slightly more Republican votes, but the last time I checked pre-debate a few weeks ago, he was bleeding more Democrat votes.

That could change though now that the geriatric is solely on the GOP ticket now.

RFK Jr. pulls more from Trump than Harris per new Ipsos poll post switch. 

RFK pulled 2% from Harris while pulling double that at 4% from Trump among registered voters. 

image.thumb.png.ef2e6b0b8f2ab47aae8250c0c8b32626.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 24K said:

Lol. Elon know he backed the wrong horse and Tesla is tanking thanks to it to some degree. 

Elon Musk backs down from $45 million a month pledge to Trump, says he doesn’t ‘subscribe to cult of personality’

https://fortune.com/2024/07/23/elon-musk-backs-down-from-45-million-a-month-pledge-to-trump-says-he-doesnt-subscribe-to-cult-of-personality/

New report that he was only saying he won't personally give money to Trump directly, but will still give the money to the Trump super PAC that he helped create

I wonder if he felt he had to make that comment on a "cult of personality" after a response from a tweet he sent out to Vinod Khosla, a big venture capitalist and OpenAI investor

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/elon-musk-asked-openai-investor-vinod-khosla-to-support-trump-khosla-said-he-doesn-t-accept-depravity/ar-BB1qnWJC

Khosla first posted that an open convention could yield a candidate who could "easily" beat Trump, such as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer or Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro — in a later post, he also called on Vice President Kamala Harris or Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear to declare their candidacy. He noted these politicians could lead the US without the nation being "held hostage between MAGA extremists and DEI extremism."

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, was not impressed.

"Come on, Vinod. Trump/Vance LFG!!" he replied.

Musk, who fully endorsed Donald Trump last Saturday after the shooting at a Trump rally, has been praised by the former president as a "brilliant guy" — despite Trump saying he hadn't heard about Musk's reported plan of donating $45 million each month to a pro-Trump super PAC.

Khosla is a Democratic donor who hosted a fundraiser for Biden in May and previously endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016. He snapped back, noting it would be hard to support Trump.

"Hard for me to support someone with no values, lies, cheats, rapes, demeans women, hates immigrants like me," Khosla replied. "He may cut my taxes or reduce some regulation but that is no reason to accept depravity in his personal values. Do you want President who will set back climate by a decade in his first year? Do you want his example for your kids as values?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Day late, vote short? 

It's a newness surge.  She just needs to try and keep it going into November.  Getting the nomination this late in the process will help her if her handlers and aides are careful to not over-expose her.  She also needs to keep her cool.  She can, at times, be awkward.  Like it or not, image matters.

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Day late, vote short? 

I don't think so. We all move so fast now on info that in about a week it will be like she's always been the candidate. 

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think the short timeline to November really helps her. That Biden-Trump debate was such a massive let down, all of us handed Trump the win. 

The bust up from that low should last long enough to get her to the election, imo, particularly if she beats Trump in a debate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

don't give him any ideas. I do think people didn't get the point with his online crap, he's about pandering to whoever in government will give him more money for more tech toys. I doubt he believes much of what he says. Or maybe he does, who knows. 

His subsidies for Tesla are less every year. 

If it wasn't for SpaceX, the US would still be beholden to the Russians for Soyuz rides.

He believes the stuff that he repeats.  The stuff that he blurts out when emotional, that's the autism.

• Like 1