US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know why they have the ad feedback option...doesnt change things.

I wonder if companies will ever change ( I wont hold my breath)

I have a long list of companies I stop supporting. My life is great without them. 

For example, I will never buy another NHL sweater since they put ads on the players. Even if the sweater in the shop doesnt have the ads, becuase it is not the same as the game version. Kinda funny for me too becuase I used to buy lots of jerseys... so at least I have classic stock pile. I will also never use TD bank. 

Imagine the world if we all voted with our wallets more... one can dream.

Exact same for me.  I still refuse to buy Lays or Subway after they put the Messier ads on.

• Cheers 2

Big News :

Wow!

The Joe Biden / Kamala Harris administration just took down the top Sinaloa cartel leader and the son of “El Chapo.”

The Sinaloa cartel is one of the most powerful and most ruthless criminal organizations which has dominated drug trade in the US, including the recent fentanyl deaths in America.

These two bosses that the Biden/Harris administration just brought down have alluded the United States for decades, including under former Presidents Trump and Obama.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Aren't they on the Punk in Drublic lineups, I think they were saying it was the last tour?

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, that is all correct

No more albums.  After Oct it's done for them IIRC

Too bad, this political climate is amazing material for a new solid politically fuelled punk album.

Potential VPs humping couches, abortion rights, former presidents humping hookers, current presidents so old and frail they can't run, 3rd in commands stroking out mid interview.  China and Russia involved to the teeth

Good material.  Add in a botched assassination attempt and it's all right there

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Of all the times for NOFX to call it a career why now?

Think of the album material

I'm not sure they're done, but it's hard to find anything definitive 

They'll be done in the sense that they won't be touring, but I've read bits about how they/Mike want to continue putting out music as NOFX

They're established enough, and the music world has changed enough, that they could probably just get away with releasing music and merch 

I'm hoping that's what they end up doing

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure they're done, but it's hard to find anything definitive 

They'll be done in the sense that they won't be touring, but I've read bits about how they/Mike want to continue putting out music as NOFX

They're established enough, and the music world has changed enough, that they could probably just get away with releasing music and merch 

I'm hoping that's what they end up doing

After 40 years, the punk band NOFX is walking away with a farewell tour that is nothing short of a victory lap.

Mike Burkett, known exclusively in the punk rock world as Fat Mike, was talking about the farewell tour for his band, NOFX, during which the group is traveling to 40 cities, with 40 songs per concert, celebrating their 40 years as a band.

The tour started a year ago in Barcelona and will end where it all began for them, in Los Angeles, with three shows from Oct. 4-6. Fat Mike, 57, along with Eric Melvin, Aaron Abeyta and Erik Sandin are, collectively, experiencing the feels.

“This is it,” Fat Mike, the band’s singer, songwriter and bassist, said of the prospect of touring again after this. “We aren’t Kiss, or Black Sabbath, or Mötley Crüe. This is the end.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/18/style/nofx-farewell-tour.html?gws_id=nyt%3A%2F%2Finteractive%2F419d59b9-a71c-40d4-8f0a-2403289f06cc&gws_card=7

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

After 40 years, the punk band NOFX is walking away with a farewell tour that is nothing short of a victory lap.

Mike Burkett, known exclusively in the punk rock world as Fat Mike, was talking about the farewell tour for his band, NOFX, during which the group is traveling to 40 cities, with 40 songs per concert, celebrating their 40 years as a band.

The tour started a year ago in Barcelona and will end where it all began for them, in Los Angeles, with three shows from Oct. 4-6. Fat Mike, 57, along with Eric Melvin, Aaron Abeyta and Erik Sandin are, collectively, experiencing the feels.

“This is it,” Fat Mike, the band’s singer, songwriter and bassist, said of the prospect of touring again after this. “We aren’t Kiss, or Black Sabbath, or Mötley Crüe. This is the end.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/18/style/nofx-farewell-tour.html?gws_id=nyt%3A%2F%2Finteractive%2F419d59b9-a71c-40d4-8f0a-2403289f06cc&gws_card=7

Yeah, I said as much, they're done with the touring aspect but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't continue to put out music 

With today's streaming services, online stores, and the like they could continue to bring in revenue other ways, they're established enough that they could get likely do just fine doing exactly that 

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The humour is non stop !

Oh God, if the Democrats play the "victim game" again, they will have shown that they learned nothing from 2016. Ffs...

edit: I may have taken the meme out of context.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm hoping for a Harris victory, but playing the victim and giving into the name-calling only fuels Trump's cause. The Democrats just need to "play bigger", and I think there's lots of room for promise and potential with Kamala at the helm. She has the spunk for it.

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Last time I saw MFATGG fat Mike wasn’t there. He owes me a show!  
‘May go to the Punk in Drublik in Toronto 

14 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Oh God, if the Democrats play the "victim game" again, they will have shown that they learned nothing from 2016. Ffs...

OMG HERBERT!!!

❤️

WB!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm not sure what you mean? a joke about Huck, her dress and the silly rumour about JD couch humper?

How is that playing victim?

If anything the Dems have been in attack mode, taking no prisoners.

They are no longer trying 'they go low, we go high' as MO once suggested.

They are pulling no punches and trying to get America a better future after years of hating itself. 

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure what you mean? a joke about Huck, her dress and the silly rumour about JD couch humper?

How is that playing victim?

If anything the Dems have been in attack mode, taking no prisoners.

They are no longer trying 'they go low, we go high' as MO once suggested.

They are pulling no punches and trying to get America a better future after years of hating itself. 

That quote (and pic - sorry, not sorry) is exactly what Trump & now Vance feast off of. Rather than "filing a complaint", tell them to literally F off. The latter is a whole lot more respectable in the public eye, for better or for worse. Think of all the Americans who vote based on their gut and emotions, and not much else. That number is very high, and 2016 is pure evidence of that. Remember when there was no way Trump could win? Me too. Hopefully the ADHD-like reactions over Vance's latest comments subside, as bullies like Trump take them and run with it, and create the illusion that their opponent is weaker than they truly are. Like, any sensible person knows already that those types of comments are downright ridiculous, so there is no need to approach it from the angle of "I am so oppressed!" - rather, be a LION!

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That quote (and pic - sorry, not sorry) is exactly what Trump & now Vance feast off of. Rather than "filing a complaint", tell them to literally F off. The latter is a whole lot more respectable in the public eye.

I'm still a soo confused.

I dont actually think Huck ( a republican) said any of that. It's not a real complaint. It is a joke ( referencing a daft rumour about JD Vance humping a couch) by some guy on twitter called 'Hoodlum'. It's not anything from the actual democratic party.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm still a soo confused.

I dont actually think Huck ( a republican) said any of that. It's not a real complaint. It is a joke ( referencing a daft rumour about JD Vance humping a couch) by some guy on twitter called 'Hoodlum'. It's not anything from the actual democratic party.

I see. In any sense though, by and large though, I hope that the Democrats learned from the downright disaster that was 2016, in terms of how they approached things. At the end of the day, it's the American people (both the intelligent & the uneducated) that will have their decision on the matter, and I think there are lessons that can be learned from the past. The Democrats (and their media, which has their agenda (like ANY media outlets anywhere)) just have to do their part in hitting the right notes. There cannot be another 2016. If there is though, however, then good riddance, as the Dems have backed themselves far enough into a corner as is. The United Stated of America is intriguing as hell to follow, I must say. Such a unique situation. It makes me proud to be Canadian! ... or does it? 😶

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Exact same for me.  I still refuse to buy Lays or Subway after they put the Messier ads on.

Always been an Old Dutch man, so the Lays thing was already a done deal for me....

Subway is a bit more complicated. It's the only Sub option where I live and besides, I like Scottie Barnes and Mark McMorris....