US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I love hearing stories like this.

Random acts of kindness that are reciprocated.

I have always stated that one doesn't give to receive, however I do believe in paying forward.

@Ilunga  I just posted a story for you over on your happy/good news thread.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

I was about 5 minutes from posting this last weekend when I saw on the news that Biden had called off his campaign (I was in a different room from my computer, otherwise it would have posted around the time the announcement came out).

After much thought, I still think this is relevant in this day and age.

In fact, still as relevant as it was in 2008 when they first released it.

This could have gone into this thread, the Canadian Politics Thread, the World Events Thread, even the Climate Change Thread (and more recently the Jasper Thread) - but since it was the US political situation that first had this song running in my head again this month, into here it goes.

Dr. Holland with his finger on the pulse of the world, as always.  :towel:

• Vintage 1

@Elias Pettersson 

More evidence of American Citizens at that protest 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/thousands-protest-near-us-capitol-ahead-netanyahu-speech-2024-07-24/

" We were no threat to the police " said Sarah Bowles, a pharmacy technician from Delaware who attended the protest and assisted protestors that were injured. " 

You double down on your scum comments in the other thread.

My parents brought me up not to abuse people, even those whose beliefs and actions I don't agree with.

I guess that's the difference between them and you.

They actually followed the teachings you profess to believe in. 

Nobody is scum Elias.

Misguided, sure ?

Evil, that can be argued as both good and evil are subjective things. 

But not scum Elias.

You don't seem to realise that you are contributing to a toxic environment by dehumanising people when you label them as scum.

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It took the FBI 2 weeks to finally say that yes, Trump was hit by a bullet.  🤦‍♂️

The New York Times made a fairly solid case saying the same exact thing in the time it took them to call a few experts and write an article about it.  So basically 24-48 hours.

These agencies are just getting more and more embarrassing.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-bullet-shrapnel-ronny-jackson-christopher-wray-cb780b9d1a078f0be4191682e75101cf

What were thought to be bedrock institutions in the USA have been politicized by both the DNC and the GOP. The DNC has used censorship in shut down criticism and Trump loaded his family into government positions. Trump the political mutant and Biden a failed President. Society tries to deal with info overload and are radicalized in the process. That radicalization exists within both the GOP and the Democrats. A pervasive self righteousness that justifies whatever limitations or costs placed on citizens. 

Recently listened to Martin Gurri a retired CIA who talked about global impact of people rejecting their political leadership. Originally from Cuba he talked about the failed state there. He said communism does not exist in Cuba anymore and any pretense has been succumbed by government mafia like oppression. Government 'officials' who steal from the people to maintain their own lifestyles. In the past 3 years 15% of Cubans have left the island. As infrastructure crumbles in Cuba money is being smuggled to foreign countries. Much of this is being done by government members. Gurri thinks that Cuba will collapse within 2-3 years.   

• chaos 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What were thought to be bedrock institutions in the USA have been politicized by both the DNC and the GOP. The DNC has used censorship in shut down criticism and Trump loaded his family into government positions. Trump the political mutant and Biden a failed President. Society tries to deal with info overload and are radicalized in the process. That radicalization exists within both the GOP and the Democrats. A pervasive self righteousness that justifies whatever limitations or costs placed on citizens. 

Recently listened to Martin Gurri a retired CIA who talked about global impact of people rejecting their political leadership. Originally from Cuba he talked about the failed state there. He said communism does not exist in Cuba anymore and any pretense has been succumbed by government mafia like oppression. Government 'officials' who steal from the people to maintain their own lifestyles. In the past 3 years 15% of Cubans have left the island. As infrastructure crumbles in Cuba money is being smuggled to foreign countries. Much of this is being done by government members. Gurri thinks that Cuba will collapse within 2-3 years.   

Curious, when was anything officially censored in the US? 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why is Biden a failed president?  He was ranked #14 on a list made by presidential historians

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Think of all the "Let's Go Brandon" stuff out there.....

Dems need one with a pic of Joe saying, "okay".....

Now they are starting to sell “Let’s go Brenda” merchandise.

I know, very original!

It's been a very bad week for J.D. Vance

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/whats-hot/jd-vance-is-now-being-mocked-with-dolphin-memes-just-days-after-couch-rumours/ar-BB1qIQJB?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a8504ffe7bbf4ed9bb0245662520c117&ei=22

"JD Vance, Donald Trump's running mate for the 2024 presidential election has become the butt of many jokes in the past week after a false rumour about him being too familiar with a couch went viral on social media but now he's being hit with dolphin jokes.

-----------------------------------

more at link

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It would be huge if they had the numbers to pass a constitutional amendment for the immunity and/or the numbers to pass federal legislation on anything else.  They don't and they are well aware that they don't.  It's an election year stunt looking for free attention and news cycle headlines.

They’ve lost Mconnell some where 

“AWOL” I beleive is the term ..

I think he plays part of this process ?

at least rally’s a lean in voting .

he is absent / or can not perform his duties..  
I realize why the Repugs would hide this ,

but Dems need to take advantage of this in the “old guy” argument and “pile it on” for lack of a better term .

It's worth signing up for the free articles, good NY Times piece today that really shows how far  Vance is willing to compromise himself for more power.

He was friends with a trans person even after his book, then dropped them.

His friend shares personal texts that reveal a lot about his views at the time.

Won't play well with the base.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I give it...mmmmm

13 hours for this dupe acount.

Anyone else?

@Sharpshooter 13 hours?  or do you want the under at 7 hours?

Are we allowed to have a Betting Thread for Hacks ??

.. this could be fun !

we all start with 100 points , could be worked into a poll.   Lol season one cards GIF by This Is Us

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Still better then our hoopleheads up here with their dumb truck stickers.

I dont have kids, thank heavens, but I think about how hard it must be for the good hearted breeders out there.

My dad once confiscated my G&R cassette tape due to the swearing etc... times were different.

Now, I am pretty George Carlin when it comes to 'words' but the stuff kids are exposed to at a young age these days is awful.

Crude adults that fly flags of vulgarity and hate...

...or a device that can show a kid any horror they can dream of, that they are handed at about 12 years old ( or sooner). That device also has addictive apps and platforms that cause pain and suffering.

Poor kids.

Anyway, just my lovely Saturady morning thoughts....

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

They’ve lost Mconnell some where 

“AWOL” I beleive is the term ..

I think he plays part of this process ?

at least rally’s a lean in voting .

he is absent / or can not perform his duties..  
I realize why the Repugs would hide this ,

but Dems need to take advantage of this in the “old guy” argument and “pile it on” for lack of a better term .

The guy is having silent seizure activity on camera.  They're going to hide him until they can either get the proper mix of meds to stop them or they'll just ride it out until his term ends and he retires.

For all intents and purposes, John Thune and Mike Crapo are the hands-on leaders of the Senate Republicans.

The Democrats don't care who the Senate minority leader is.  It's not going to help them in the seats that they are almost sure to lose.  If it was a consideration, the Republicans would force McConnell out.

If/When the Republicans take back the Senate, it will be interesting to see if they keep McConnell "hidden" or if they'll shove him in front of the cameras and hope for the best.

• Cheers 1

some words stand through time because they tell the Truth…

Lies never do..   they give the lesson.

.. philosophy ..

should be mandatory in education.

0E3138B5-8BBA-4306-B626-CCFD4B6F0D13.thumb.jpeg.c37ece0430c2c71a40be4e873ab35114.jpeg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont have kids, thank heavens, but I think about how hard it must be for the good hearted breeders out there.

Not that Im saying you should, but you'd be a great dad.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My dad once confiscated my G&R cassette tape due to the swearing etc... times were different.

Now, I am pretty George Carlin when it comes to 'words' but the stuff kids are exposed to at a young age these days is awful.

Crude adults that fly flags of vulgarity and hate...

...or a device that can show a kid any horror they can dream of, that they are handed at about 12 years old ( or sooner). That device also has addictive apps and platforms that cause pain and suffering.

Poor kids.

Anyway, just my lovely Saturady morning thoughts....

The part I have a problem with is the disrespect of our flag. Don't use the maple leaf to spell "fuck" just own it like a man.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not that Im saying you should, but you'd be a great dad.

The part I have a problem with is the disrespect of our flag. Don't use the maple leaf to spell "fuck" just own it like a man.

Thanks, thats really nice.

I believe the world needs less people, not more.

Just doing my part 🙂

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, thats really nice.

I believe the world needs less people, not more.

Just doing my part 🙂

Likewise.  I'm pretty lucky to be in a country where the ability to ensure that I don't reproduce is safe for now. The fact that Vance wants to take that away from Americans is a a big part of what makes him such an evil piece of garbage.  I'm grateful couches can't get pregnant.

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1