US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Huh.  I swear, I regularly overestimate people's ability to think for themselves.  And that's odd coming from a usual pessimist like me.

Meh.  I think you were right the first time. I know its not what most Democrats feel though.  I am on a Democrat message board and I had posts hidden, and kicked off for awhile, for saying things like Sarandon had little affect on the outcome. She may have persuaded a few, but their were other bigger reasons.  Some on that board thought she was the MAIN reason.

One, the MSM in their never ending quest for a horse race, and keeping the candidates even steven, they normalized Trump's despicable behaviour and lies, while propping up any Republican exaggerated scandal like Benghazi or her email server onto Clinton. The coverage of each consisted of, showing Trump's rallies, never fact checking, but getting all the salacious camera shots for their ratings.  For Hillary, who didn't have so many rallies, it was panels debating "How badly will the email scandal hurt Democrats chances?....lets discuss"

Two was Comey's dumb announcement about maybe finding new evidence on the email leaks a week before the election. Of course it turned out a nothing burger. the FBI eventually concluding that only 3 of her emails exposed were classified, and only one was "top secret". And none of them compromised national security. 

Three was Obama's bending over backwards to appoint the Republican Comey.  Obama's admin was the most groveling D admin in history in appointing Republicans to power positions, or very right leaning Democrats. All in some effort to appease Mitch and co. to stop just saying no to passing his legislation. But that tactic never works on post-Newt Gingrich R's.

But the fourth and biggest reason Hillary lost was....Hillary.  She gets the most blame for throwing the nation into Trump world chaos. She may have been smart, and very good at back room policy and dealing with foreign governments in her role as SoS, but she was no politician. She never looked comfortable on stage.  She was a boring speaker and always wore that "I deserve it" look on her face. i blame her because she thought she had it in the bag and could have fought harder, especially in the Rust Belt States which she took for granted.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Trump nearly gets shot and everyone steps back and says we had better clean up our acts. What a month later and it is as bad as it has ever been. Both Democrats and Republicans should be ashamed of themselves but they aren't.  

To be fair, Trump & Vance now being 'just weird' is quite the compliment from Hitler & fellow Nazi. So maybe they did move a bit on that. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Haha 1
  • chaos 1

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To be fair, Trump & Vance now being 'just weird' is quite the compliment from Hitler & fellow Nazi. So maybe they did move a bit on that. 

It's also true. Trump is pretty strange.

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

That is an extremely sensationalist title to describe something that happened last March.

Biden Approved Secret Nuclear Strategy Refocusing on Chinese Threat

In a classified document from March, President Biden ordered U.S. forces to prepare for possible coordinated confrontations with Russia, China and North Korea.

President Biden approved in March a highly classified nuclear strategic plan for the United States that, for the first time, reorients America’s deterrent strategy to focus on China’s rapid expansion in its nuclear arsenal.

The shift comes as the Pentagon believes China’s stockpiles will rival the size and diversity of the United States’ and Russia’s over the next decade.

In June, the National Security Council’s senior director for arms control and nonproliferation, Pranay Vaddi, also referred to the document, the first to examine in detail whether the United States is prepared to respond to nuclear crises that break out simultaneously or sequentially, with a combination of nuclear and nonnuclear weapons.

The new strategy, Mr. Vaddi said, emphasizes “the need to deter Russia, the PRC and North Korea simultaneously,” using the acronym for the People’s Republic of China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/20/us/politics/biden-nuclear-china-russia.html

Being prepared for something is not the same as provoking it. It’s good to know that there is a strategic plan in place. 

Ironically the same people getting excited about this old story are also bemoaning the fact that Dolt 45 got his ear pierced at a rally; where security precautions were inadequate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

F'

Kamala has just huge crowds.

Stadium tour.

She's got momentum...

Trumpy, the tit, is praying. And if he isn't, he f**king should be

Edited by bishopshodan
Snatch is one of my fav moives
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Meh

Oh I think she had an effect. 

tons of press, her crying on telly.

I dont think it was as big as all your other points though.

But Hillary needed all the help she could get. And anyone on the left sitting out pouting could help Trump such as the protestors could now, which we were discussing. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

yet the "weird" moniker has had a much bigger impact than anything else has.........and it clearly bothers him.  He is such an insecure little dweeb

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

yet the "weird" moniker has had a much bigger impact than anything else has.........and it clearly bothers him.  He is such an insecure little dweeb

It's sticking because it has some truth to it. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are the crowds big?  Like Bigly?  Like are they the biggest crowds ever?

She was walking out like Vince Mcmahon, in front of like a cool billion people.

She had that Walz fella with her, he walks like a cowboy.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It's also true. Trump is pretty strange.

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, Trump is one of the most unique people in the world, hes definitely weird, basically by definition. Vance is a little odd but not as different as Trump. 

Given the current president has been on camera sniffing children & that politics as a whole across the spectrum is full of sociopaths, you'd think this campaign would be less successful but I agree with you guys its gotten too them. Its more believable than calling them Hitler too cause there's only 1 Hitler. Not even Mussolini was Hitler. 

Trump has been running a very poor campaign thus-far aswell. Far cry from 2016. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

lots of Bernie supporters stayed home, didn't they?

Stop with this nonsense. Good number of Sanders voters were independents that voted in the primaries because of Sanders. They own the Dems and Clinton nothing. Just because they voted I. The Dem doesn't mean Clinton is entitled to their vote in the general. If they didn't turn out for Clinton. That is on Hillary Clinton and no one else. 

Not like Bernie told his supporters not to vote for Clinton or did not campaign for her after the primaries. Blaming Bernie for Clinton's lose is nonsense and shifting goal post. 

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dunno.  Did they ever do a poll on that question after the election?

I remember that race having a good turnout of young people though.

There is no way to measure if someone didn't turn out but we do have surveys that found anywhere from 6% to 12% of Sanders supporter ended up voting for Trump.

Compare that to 2008, 24% of Clinton voters ended up voting for McCain. 

Based on that, blaming Bernie on Hillary's lose seem kinda disingenuous and 100% scapegoating Hillary's failure. 

https://www.removepaywall.com/search?url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/08/24/did-enough-bernie-sanders-supporters-vote-for-trump-to-cost-clinton-the-election/

Edited by 24K
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This here is what is astounding me the most.  He's fighting for his freedom with this election, not just to get his old job back. 

It's inexplicable how poorly he is running this campaign.  His 2016 run was 2nd only to Reagan's run as far as campaigns that I personally remember.  His 2020 wasn't bad at all either.  He just pis*ed off too many people and lost because of it.

Now this 2024 run, he put his infotainment producer daughter-in-law in charge because he wanted control, his PACs have been all but useless, and his biggest strength, on the ground campaigning, has been directionless.

He has hundreds of millions to spend so money isn't an issue.

Like I said a week ago, I do think his not being able to use arenas anymore has come back to hurt him.  Nobody wants to be on their feet for hours waiting for a 45 minute speech that they've likely already heard before.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

Compare that to 2008, 24% of Clinton voters ended up voting for McCain. 

Based on that, blaming Bernie on Hillary's lose seem kinda disingenuous and 100% scapegoating Hillary's failure. 

https://www.removepaywall.com/search?url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/08/24/did-enough-bernie-sanders-supporters-vote-for-trump-to-cost-clinton-the-election/

Thanks for the info.  Proves my other post right.  I just had zero urge to Google it to see if I was.  I've told people over the years that the Bernie thing was way overinflated.

Hillary was just fairly unlikable, but the establishment Democrats pushed her through anyways.  Even though she won the popular vote, the moderates in the swing states did her campaign in.  You can win all of NYC, LA, and CHI and run up your overall totals.  If the moderates and independents, especially in the states that decide the elections, don't like you, you are done and the reality show host becomes president with a state or two extra above what he needed in his column.

3 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

😂 😂 😂

O. M. G.  Michelle Obama just reminded Donald that POTUS IS a 'black job' considering who sat behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office for 8 years!!! 

LMAO!!!!

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

She should have just dropped the mic, and walked off the stage, when she said that!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree, Trump is one of the most unique people in the world, hes definitely weird, basically by definition. Vance is a little odd but not as different as Trump. 

Given the current president has been on camera sniffing children & that politics as a whole across the spectrum is full of sociopaths, you'd think this campaign would be less successful but I agree with you guys its gotten too them. Its more believable than calling them Hitler too cause there's only 1 Hitler. Not even Mussolini was Hitler. 

Hard to use that as ammunition when the Republican candidate for President is a known child molester.

• Cheers 1

I swear Obama can be running for his fifth term right now and probably will still win it if there was no term limit. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

36 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks for the info.  Proves my other post right.  I just had zero urge to Google it to see if I was.  I've told people over the years that the Bernie thing was way overinflated.

Hillary was just fairly unlikable, but the establishment Democrats pushed her through anyways.  Even though she won the popular vote, the moderates in the swing states did her campaign in.  You can win all of NYC, LA, and CHI and run up your overall totals.  If the moderates and independents, especially in the states that decide the elections, don't like you, you are done and the reality show host becomes president with a state or two extra above what he needed in his column.

She was also arrogant.  Arrogant in that she didn't have general election campaign stops in states like Wisconsin.   She took some places for granted and paid for it when TRUMP narrowly beat her there.  

• Cheers 1