US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

31 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

@Master Mind Apparently you’re confused about my comment that I could care less about politicians living in fear of getting shot. I’ll start caring the moment they start caring enough about schoolchildren getting shot to actually take some meaningful action. You reap what you sow so until then it’s just thoughts and prayers from me.

Good luck getting quality candidates if their lives are always at risk.

42 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

@Master Mind Apparently you’re confused about my comment that I could care less about politicians living in fear of getting shot. I’ll start caring the moment they start caring enough about schoolchildren getting shot to actually take some meaningful action. You reap what you sow so until then it’s just thoughts and prayers from me.

Simply a fact of life now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Perhaps a gun control bill so that it takes longer to obtain firearms (more robust background checks) and prevents criminals from obtaining them might help. 

Also: super dangerous tweet from Leon:

image.thumb.png.8ded91b68aa5558dc088f437abde4c03.png

Yikes

• Sad 1

Just now, Duodenum said:

Perhaps a gun control bill so that it takes longer to obtain firearms (more robust background checks) and prevents criminals from obtaining them might help. 

Also: super dangerous tweet from Leon:

image.thumb.png.8ded91b68aa5558dc088f437abde4c03.png

Yikes

I'm all for making guns harder to acquire.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don’t want their lives to be at risk, just as I don’t want the lives of schoolchildren to be at risk. I’m supposed to care more about politicians living in fear than kids living in fear? This is the climate they’ve created by their inaction. Nothing after Parkland but thoughts & prayers.

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t want their lives to be at risk, just as I don’t want the lives of schoolchildren to be at risk. I’m supposed to care more about politicians living in fear than kids living in fear? This is the climate they’ve created by their inaction. Nothing after Parkland but thoughts & prayers.

I didn't say you should care more about politicians than children.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

What exactly are politicians supposed to do to stop schoolchildren from getting shot by crazies?

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

So a narcissist, grifter, and compulsive liar with 34 felony counts (and probably more to come); a weird, racist, lying asshole, who put thousands of legal migrant Haitians at risk; and a guy who is under investigation for beheading a whale, whom also transported a dead bear to central park to stage a bike accident are actually being considered for the White House by millions of people.

Why, America?

Lord Of The Rings — glad-to-be-with-you: requested by anon;...

The same reason why Jesus wasn't born in the US. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin there.

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

So they just throw their hands up and say “I got nothin’” and that’s good enough? Off the top of my head I’d say make it even a little harder for crazies to get guns but oh no, can’t have that. Can we at least agree this was at best a mistake and more likely idiotic?

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

The new law nullifies an Obama-backed rule that added people with mental illnesses to the national background check database.

There have been many Democratic Presidents over the decades, we literally have one right now.  Many times when the Democratic President also controlled Congress.  And schoolchildren are still getting murdered.  So, IMO this is not a "Trump" thing, even though you are trying to spin it that way.  Even Kamala said she carries a gun and doesn't want to eliminate the 2nd amendment, which is what everyone keeps screaming needs to be done whenever there is a shooting.

I agree, make it harder for crazies to get guns.  Has a bill been sent to Congress in the last 3.5 years under Biden and Kamala to address this?  That article you posted is from 2017.  Has there been anything more recent to address this issue?

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

They're staging attempts on Trump before they take out Kamala. Classic psychopathic narcissism dictator stuff.

I was outraged the other day at the 9/11 ceremony in NYC ..

x mayor Bloomberg ,  some how got to seat himself , Trump and Vance ,  right beside President Biden and Vice pres Harris.

Trump  had his death attempted only a few weeks sgo… 

Why t Fk would he get to sit beside the Pres, and Vice .

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There have been many Democratic Presidents over the decades, we literally have one right now.  Many times when the Democratic President also controlled Congress.  And schoolchildren are still getting murdered.  So, IMO this is not a "Trump" thing, even though you are trying to spin it that way.  Even Kamala said she carries a gun and doesn't want to eliminate the 2nd amendment, which is what everyone keeps screaming needs to be done whenever there is a shooting.

I agree, make it harder for crazies to get guns.  Has a bill been sent to Congress in the last 3.5 years under Biden and Kamala to address this?  That article you posted is from 2017.  Has there been anything more recent to address this issue?

With respect to the Sleepy Joe administration, you couldn't get thru any substantial related legislation with the GOP in control of Congress.  On orders of Dotard, Congress stopped a bipartisan agreement on border control created in the Senate I think.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Any "normal" news day, this doesn't get buried.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2024/09/calls-for-jd-vance-to-resign-after-he-admits-that-he-created-pet-eating-story-about-immigrants.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=redditsocial

Calls for J.D. Vance to resign after he admits that he created pet-eating story about immigrants

The entire interview was quite interesting.   Heated, but interesting.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not for a minute am I spinning it as a Trump thing and I didn’t blame it on any party although there’s no getting away from the fact that the law was put in place under Obama and revoked by Trump. I put the blame squarely on politicians from any party that bend over for the gun lobby. You did ask what could be done to keep people from being shot by crazies and revoking the law put guns back in the hands of the very people you asked about.

No one gets a pass from me hence my earlier comment that it doesn’t bother me a bit if politicians live in fear the same as school kids. At least until they make some legitimate efforts.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

Not for a minute am I spinning it as a Trump thing and I didn’t blame it on any party although there’s no getting away from the fact that the law was put in place under Obama and revoked by Trump. I put the blame squarely on politicians from any party that bend over for the gun lobby. You did ask what could be done to keep people from being shot by crazies and revoking the law put guns back in the hands of the very people you asked about.

No one gets a pass from me hence my earlier comment that it doesn’t bother me a bit if politicians live in fear the same as school kids. At least until they make some legitimate efforts.

We need a real leader like Ronald Reagan who passed gun control legislation as governor of California with the full support of the NRA (as well of course Democrats).

🤪

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We need a real leader like Ronald Reagan who passed gun control legislation as governor of California with the full support of the NRA (as well of course Democrats).

🤪

Ronald Reagan was one of the most destructive POTUS in history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

With respect to the Sleepy Joe administration, you couldn't get thru any substantial related legislation with the GOP in control of Congress.  On orders of Dotard, Congress stopped a bipartisan agreement on border control created in the Senate I think.

They could have at least tried.  Put a bill together that a few Republicans can get behind so it can pass.  As for Trump, not every Republican in Congress is MAGA, so some could flip to the other side.  Isn't MAGA just a cult, it doesn't have that much influence, does it?

I’m not surprised,  and won’t be surprised if his life is taken in an assassination.

For many years the man has brought as much hate to himself, because of his treatment and hate of others privately and publicly.

Privately or Publicly he incites, invites, and condones violence.

Why would it be seen as a surprise if he was shot dead today?

It wouldn’t ,  and it shouldn’t.

Keep Calm And Carry On GIF

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They could have at least tried.  Put a bill together that a few Republicans can get behind so it can pass.  As for Trump, not every Republican in Congress is MAGA, so some could flip to the other side.  Isn't MAGA just a cult, it doesn't have that much influence, does it?

Enough of an influence to get that bipartisan agreement in the Senate to get squashed.

• Cheers 1