US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Cranston said:

Facts. There is no other legit reason.

Not facts.

In order to vote, you need to register.  Some states allow same day registration.

List the states where you can get registered and then vote without showing any approved form of identification and that vote then counting.  Every state has a list of approved forms of Identification to register to vote as well as casting said vote.  Even here is BC we have the same thing.  

The voter ID thing is just an unnecessary hurdle being put up to make voting more difficult.  

Put it this way.  There are communities in many states that do not have an office that issues state IDs.  Those residents have to travel to get an ID, likely mid-week during the day.  If you're poor and work weekday day shifts, that can be a problem.  Think you live in Hope and have to travel to Langley to get an ID.  Add to this the hurdle that you may only be a resident of that state, and require another state to send you a copy of your birth certificate.  All this to satisfy the BS talking point of voter fraud that multiple times TRUMP couldn't prove in audits, recounts, court cases, and with his own hand picked stooge.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Cranston said:

Facts. There is no other legit reason.

Facts:

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/analysis/Briefing_Memo_Debunking_Voter_Fraud_Myth.pdf

The Brennan Center’s seminal report on this issue, The Truth About Voter Fraud, found that most
reported incidents of voter fraud are actually traceable to other sources, such as clerical errors or
bad data matching practices. The report reviewed elections that had been meticulously studied for
voter fraud, and found incident rates between 0.0003 percent and 0.0025 percent. Given this tiny
incident rate for voter impersonation fraud, it is more likely, the report noted, that an American
“will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls

The system is working fine as it is. Why do Trump supporters hate democracy?

Rhetorical question. We know that answer.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

16 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

(ignore the blurb, just posting for the clip) 

I can appreciate the bolded, but I don't think she's that though. To me she just comes off as scrambling & often says nothing of substance.

The thing with her is, I don't think she has strong principled positions besides abortion (which is why she's flipped on some since the 2019/20 campaign, and that's fine most politicians don't), so that could play a role in her not knowing what to say, but youd think she would have developed a general perspective & ingrained some narratives to lean on when answering these questions (Hillary for example did this very well), but she just produces these word salads where she tries to sound reasonable/professional but instead shakily talks in circles as she searches for what to say & effectively says nothing to answer the question.

Good speakers can be inspiring for sure. But my point is there's utility in regarding leadership as a buffoonish. Because these politicians are often driven by maintaining/advancing their power rather than improving the lives of their constituents, & are perfectly willing to sacrifice the well being of their constituents for their own purpose. So in democracy politicians should be regarded with ever present skepticism until proven otherwise rather than valorization imo. It wasn't always this way, but the 60's are long gone. Some of the stuff that happens now to me is worse than what Nixon did & nothing ever happens to them.

Agreed. I want Harris to win, but I have to say that I don’t like the way she handles certain questions.

When Cooper was pressing her about the border wall, I was hoping that she would simply say that agreeing to the funding of the Wall was a compromise that the dems has to make in order to get the bill passed.

The compromise position is not the same as supporting the 650 million funding of the Wall. It was a necessary evil. The Wall is more symbolic than meaningful in any event. You can fly over it, tunnel under it, or sail around it.

IMO Harris missed an opportunity to appear “quick on her feet”. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I didn't personally watch the CNN town hall with Kamala last night, but it seems according to CNN pundits, it didn't go well for her and she wouldn't give answers to the questions asked.

Did anyone here watch it?  The clips I'm seeing are not any better than when she ran against Biden for the nomination in 2020.

My observation is that Harris is trying to play to not lose,instead of playing to win. Her lack of experience at this, and the short lead time, seem to be catching up to her. Of all the pundits, John King, seemed the most accurate to me. He also felt that inexperience is getting the better of Kamala. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I was talking about Ronny and his UK girlfriend.  My only issue with Mulroney is that he kept the train on the raw materials track and never took Canada off of the raw materials economy.  I think it's borderline criminal that Canada never became a powerhouse producer of finished goods. 

The 80's was when the high tech infrastructure economy tracks were being lain down.  There's no reason why Canada couldn't have had it's own silicon valley.

This is your best post ever. Could not agree more.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Cranston said:

Oh god, no we cannot compete on finished goods. Not being in those industries is smart. We are a rich (barely now), low density, low population country that has been waylaid by this fantasy forever. Mulroney kept our umbilical chord attached to the US and drove up our national debt. He was the worst.

Disagree. In the 1990s  I managed a bathtub manufacturing company in the Okanagan. With our 65 cent dollar , we sold many thousands of bathtubs into the Pacific Northwest market, and became the largest company throughout the entire region. I guess that we were too dumb to know any better.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Canada could have taken in a plethora of immigrants to do it's labor decades ago.  Hell, it could have started in the summer of 1867 for that matter.  Immigrant labor could have help build Canada up and then the transition to a high tech producer would have become a natural evolution in the 1980's.

It's one thing that I harp on occasionally.  It's frustrating knowing what Canada could have become but never did for various reasons. 

Oh well.  The majority of Canadians are happy with the current state of it's affairs, so I guess that's what matters the most.  It doesn't need a foreigner b*tching about missed opportunities.

That is one path is suppose. Another was to fully embrace a resource economy which we haven't done for decades. There are a few countries with low population and natural resources that are doing quite well.

5 hours ago, Cranston said:

Compete effectively. How's that.

Ha ha ha ha. In certain industries, very effectively.

If there’s a source of raw materials, and labour is reasonably priced, and there’s a well educated population to draw from, we can kick US ass. 

Edited by PistolPete13

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Canada could have taken in a plethora of immigrants to do it's labor decades ago.  Hell, it could have started in the summer of 1867 for that matter.  Immigrant labor could have help build Canada up and then the transition to a high tech producer would have become a natural evolution in the 1980's.

It's one thing that I harp on occasionally.  It's frustrating knowing what Canada could have become but never did for various reasons. 

Oh well.  The majority of Canadians are happy with the current state of it's affairs, so I guess that's what matters the most.  It doesn't need a foreigner b*tching about missed opportunities.

You are correct. Perhaps we have too many Cranstone’s weighing us down.

8 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Disagree. In the 1990s  I managed a bathtub manufacturing company in the Okanagan. With our 65 cent dollar , we sold many thousands of bathtubs into the Pacific Northwest market, and became the largest company throughout the entire region. I guess that we were too dumb to know any better.

It's an interesting point, wannabe manufacturers do not exactly cheer on the wealth and high dollar resources bring. The economy of the 90s was sans China, so a little tougher now. 

3 minutes ago, Cranston said:

It's an interesting point, wannabe manufacturers do not exactly cheer on the wealth and high dollar resources bring. The economy of the 90s was sans China, so a little tougher now. 

We were invited to China to set up a manufacturing plant there. Toured several locations in Shandong province. We learned that we would have no protection under Chinese law, so we dropped the idea before anyone could steal our technology. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Ha ha ha ha. In certain industries, very effectively.

If there’s a source of raw materials, and labour is reasonably priced, and there’s a well educated population to draw from, we can kick US ass. 

It's not the US that's the main problem unfortunately. In those industries where the US id the competitor, you can be sure it won't be long before we are tariffed out or they find another skanky way to eventually give an American competitor the prize. The targeting of our banks in the US may have begun.

4 minutes ago, Cranston said:

It's not the US that's the main problem unfortunately. In those industries where the US id the competitor, you can be sure it won't be long before we are tariffed out or they find another skanky way to eventually give an American competitor the prize. The targeting of our banks in the US may have begun.

Fair point. Our solution to that issue was to set up a small manufacturing plant near Seattle and a warehouse in Portland. After paying US tax on our sales, our profits were repatriated to Canada.

Back in those days, many things were possible if you played by the local rules.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Facts:

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/analysis/Briefing_Memo_Debunking_Voter_Fraud_Myth.pdf

The Brennan Center’s seminal report on this issue, The Truth About Voter Fraud, found that most
reported incidents of voter fraud are actually traceable to other sources, such as clerical errors or
bad data matching practices. The report reviewed elections that had been meticulously studied for
voter fraud, and found incident rates between 0.0003 percent and 0.0025 percent. Given this tiny
incident rate for voter impersonation fraud, it is more likely, the report noted, that an American
“will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls

The system is working fine as it is. Why do Trump supporters hate democracy?

Rhetorical question. We know that answer.

I have see no issue with requiring ID...most countries do. But most countries don't make it a fucking challenge to get it..  

I do have issue with that asinine post that you know who made that no voter ID is solely to commit fraud. But anyone who would actually buy that is a simpleton. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

Gar30H2XMAAf5Ys.jpeg

By deep state he means trump claiming he doesn't even know who Diddy is like he did with Epstein and the dozens of women he's assaulted over the years and dozens of terrible people who worked side by side with him who have been charged with pedophilia, fraud, working for Russia or China or worse 

• Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I have see no issue with requiring ID...most countries do. But most countries don't make it a fucking challenge to get it..  

I do have issue with that asinine post that you know who made that no voter ID is solely to commit fraud. But anyone who would actually buy that is a simpleton. 

Go to the poorest neighborhoods in the US and ask a citizen if it's beyond their ability to get id and they will look at you like you're nuts. With that in mind, there is no other reason I can think of. In fact, the Dems required ID to get into their convention. Do I need to post all the mundane activities that require id?