US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

With the Senate at 51-49 this is major news.

Most likely launching a bid for President.

I wouldn't be so sure about the Repugs picking up a senate seat.  If their candidate is full MAGA and heavy on the abortion side of the debate, I doubt they will win a state that is willing to vote Dem.

Abortion is Repug kryptonite

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't be so sure about the Repugs picking up a senate seat.  If their candidate is full MAGA and heavy on the abortion side of the debate, I doubt they will win a state that is willing to vote Dem.

It just mattered this week In Virginia so yes definitely a factor.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

It just mattered this week In Virginia so yes definitely a factor.

agreed, if the repug candidate comes out heavily against abortion, I'm betting the seat will remain blue

edit, I meant the MAGA is heavily against abortion in the original post

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

As he should. dj trump committed treason by inciting a riot on your Capitol over election fraud lies. He also tried to intimidate Georgian election officials and the Georgian AJ to try and overturn the results in that State. He also stole classified documents and put them in his shitter at Maralago. Nope, nothing to see here. How this man and his family is being coddled with kid gloves when you know very well, if that were you or I, we'd never see the light of day. Lock the bastard up and throw away the key.

ps: The former FBI chief James Comey basically handed this rat bastard the election in '16 over Hillary Clinton's emails. Two weeks before the election. The amazing thing about that election, he still came up with almost 3 million less votes nation wide. But, wasn't he calling the election rigged even before it began? America is a shit show, and the rest of the world is watching.

The DOJ is not a "he". It's a department, and Merrick Garland appointed an outside prosecutor to avoid exactly the sort of partisan accusations that are being thrown around. (I hope I don't have to explain to anyone how the DOJ has nothing to do with the NY and GA cases, either)

Of course this fact means absolutely nothing to Republicans and their media surrogates.....

....or, apparently, hockey fans in Buffalo.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The state in question is West Virginia. Manchin isn't running because his opponent is super popular former Governor Jim Justice who will wallop him.

Unless Justice is found to be a serial killer the seat is going Republican 100%.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I want that wall. Mr Ramallama, build us that wall.

It would solve much of our gun smuggling problem.

Yeah I have been reading headlines to the effect of 'Canadians are angry'. I don't know who they have talked to but I would love a wall especially if we don't have to pay for one! 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

As he should. dj trump committed treason by inciting a riot on your Capitol over election fraud lies. He also tried to intimidate Georgian election officials and the Georgian AJ to try and overturn the results in that State. He also stole classified documents and put them in his shitter at Maralago. Nope, nothing to see here. How this man and his family is being coddled with kid gloves when you know very well, if that were you or I, we'd never see the light of day. Lock the bastard up and throw away the key.

ps: The former FBI chief James Comey basically handed this rat bastard the election in '16 over Hillary Clinton's emails. Two weeks before the election. The amazing thing about that election, he still came up with almost 3 million less votes nation wide. But, wasn't he calling the election rigged even before it began? America is a shit show, and the rest of the world is watching.

I'm leaving it for the Supreme Court to decide on Jan. 6.  They most likely will have to decide after Trump becomes the Republican nominee.  As a non-lawyer, I could make an argument both ways on whether it rises to the high bar of treason, insurrection, etc.  Problem is, I'm not a lawyer and the judiciary has been undergoing an ever evolving self-change that has yet to settle over the last 10-15 years. 

As for Georgia, I think he was trying to exert undue pressure there which is enough to convict him.  That's the only case where I think he could well and truly be screwed and see the possibility of home arrest/home imprisonment.  State pardons and commutations are at the pleasure of a governor, not the president or US Congress.

The FBI has become opportunistically political depending on which side has the most power in Washington.  They need to be remade back into a neutral law enforcement agency and the current opportunistic leadership needs to be forcibly retired.  As for Comey, that guy was both political and a borderline incompetent schmuck.

33 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The state in question is West Virginia. Manchin isn't running because his opponent is super popular former Governor Jim Justice who will wallop him.

Unless Justice is found to be a serial killer the seat is going Republican 100%.

Manchin is a super popular former governor of WV.  He's quitting because he's strongly considering a 3rd party/independent run at becoming president.

Also, isn't Justice still the incumbent/current governor?

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm leaving it for the Supreme Court to decide on Jan. 6.  They most likely will have to decide after Trump becomes the Republican nominee.  As a non-lawyer, I could make an argument both ways on whether it rises to the high bar of treason, insurrection, etc.  Problem is, I'm not a lawyer and the judiciary has been undergoing an ever evolving self-change that has yet to settle over the last 10-15 years. 

As for Georgia, I think he was trying to exert undue pressure there which is enough to convict him.  That's the only case where I think he could well and truly be screwed and see the possibility of home arrest/home imprisonment.  State pardons and commutations are at the pleasure of a governor, not the president or US Congress.

The FBI has become opportunistically political depending on which side has the most power in Washington.  They need to be remade back into a neutral law enforcement agency and the current opportunistic leadership needs to be forcibly retired.  As for Comey, that guy was both political and a borderline incompetent schmuck.

How so? He made himself an enemy of both Trump and Hillary. 

5 minutes ago, Riddikulus said:

How so? He made himself an enemy of both Trump and Hillary. 

Who?  Comey?  If yes, Trump didn't like him because he wouldn't pledge loyalty to him.  As for Hilary, he screwed that whole thing up 10 ways from Sunday and released the information at an inopportune time.

Personally, I don't like Hilary, never have, but as FBI director, Comey should have known better.  Since there was no impending criminal charges on her, he should have waited until after elections were over to release his findings.  Whether it was done the way it was intentionally or not, he may have changed the course and history of an entire nation.  That's not the job of someone who is essentially a federal cop.

• Vintage 3

29 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Manchin is a super popular former governor of WV.  He's quitting because he's strongly considering a 3rd party/independent run at becoming president.

Also, isn't Justice still the incumbent/current governor?

He's nearing the end of his 2nd term.

On April 27, 2023, Justice announced his candidacy for the 2024 United States Senate election in West Virginia, looking to unseat incumbent Democrat Joe Manchin.

Manchin's quitting because he knows he can't win and this frees him up to make a run at President. None of these guys can ever go away quietly. They hang around like political herpes.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Huh. Hasn't heard that. That would be great if he can split the vote.

I'd almost feel like I'm back in the 90's when Ross Perot gobbled up 10's of millions of votes.

I'm wondering though if he might be too late to launch anything serious during this cycle.  His best bet would be to run for the 27/28 cycle. 

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

He's nearing the end of his 2nd term.

On April 27, 2023, Justice announced his candidacy for the 2024 United States Senate election in West Virginia, looking to unseat incumbent Democrat Joe Manchin.

Manchin's quitting because he knows he can't win and this frees him up to make a run as President. None of these guys can ever go away quietly. They hang around like political herpes.

How badly is he losing to Jusice in the polls?  WV is a deep red state so a double digit loss for even someone as well liked as Manchin is in WV wouldn't be surprising.

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Compared to Dave Barr, not a very high standard being set. As to your first comment, are you serious? Are you sure you aren't watching Faux news? That's their mantra.

2 hours ago, Riddikulus said:

Yeah I have been reading headlines to the effect of 'Canadians are angry'. I don't know who they have talked to but I would love a wall especially if we don't have to pay for one! 

Why?

A wall between Canada and the US would be every bit as useless as one between the US and Mexico.

If you're really concerned about guns coming into Canada, you need to support anti-gun legislation in your own country. (which I do) You'd have to be anti-Conservative if you have any hope of making that happen.

• Upvote 1

:classic_laugh: Republican morons.....

Trump mentions Carlos Gimenez at one of his rallies, because Gimenez was a Trump supporter and endorsed him on 2020....

But the MAGA-morons didn't know the name (possibly because Bone Spurs predictably mispronounced it) and booed.....because....you know, it's a Hispanic name and we probably should be booing, amirite? :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/donald-trump-taken-aback-at-rally/ar-AA1jFCeL?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dea408910c0c4db68a7bfdcc25858994&ei=23

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Compared to Dave Barr, not a very high standard being set. As to your first comment, are you serious? Are you sure you aren't watching Faux news? That's their mantra.

As I get older I have less and less patience for outfits like CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Newsmax, etc.

And yes, I'm serious.  I could argue both ways on treason and insurrection.  Federally, treason is a capital crime that has the maximum penalty set at death. 

If you are going to convict someone of a crime that technically can land a person the ultimate punishment, the bar for conviction in a court is quite high.

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

:classic_laugh: Republican morons.....

Trump mentions Carlos Gimenez at one of his rallies, because Gimenez was a Trump supporter and endorsed him on 2020....

But the MAGA-morons didn't know the name (possibly because Bone Spurs predictably mispronounced it) and booed.....because....you know, it's a Hispanic name and we probably should be booing, amirite? :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/donald-trump-taken-aback-at-rally/ar-AA1jFCeL?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dea408910c0c4db68a7bfdcc25858994&ei=23

He was up until recently their city mayor and he's a Republican to boot, if I'm not mistaken.  That makes it even worse.  Only in Florida...  :picard:

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He was up until recently their city mayor and he's a Republican to boot, if I'm not mistaken.  That makes it even worse.  Only in Florida...  :picard:

I think it's telling when anjyone is so clueless that even Donald Trump is taken aback....

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

As I get older I have less and less patience for outfits like CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Newsmax, etc.

And yes, I'm serious.  I could argue both ways on treason and insurrection.  Federally, treason is a capital crime that has the maximum penalty set at death. 

If you are going to convict someone of a crime that technically can land a person the ultimate punishment, the bar for conviction in a court is quite high.

Reading your comments, you’ve bought the Fox mantra hook, line, and sinker. Trump deserves the ultimate punishment, for being responsible for six deaths in and around the Capitol. He did nothing to end the insurrection, nadda!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Reading your comments, you’ve bought the Fox mantra hook, line, and sinker. Trump deserves the ultimate punishment, for being responsible for six deaths in and around the Capitol. He did nothing to end the insurrection, nadda!

You hate Trump and aren't a fan of anyone who isn't in lockstep with your opinion of him.  There are millions of people here in the US that are the same, so I'm not surprised.

I have never been, nor will I ever be a Fox News watcher.  I used to watch CNN back when they had an honest and non-partisan news reporting division and then I switched to MSNBC (they were even my browser homepage for a number of years) before they jumped the shark and turned far left.  My politics would have once been considered left of centre.  These days with the way the left sprinted as fast as they could to the extreme, I'd land more closely to somewhere in between right of centre and moderate right.

I am not, nor will I ever be, far left or far right politically.  As for Trump as a person, I have repeatedly stated that I think he's a crook and a liar who is only concerned with what he can get for himself in the world from others.  There's a reason why every single US bank refused to lend him money and why he had to borrow money from other country's banks before he became president.  I can go on, but I'll just end up repeating what I've said about him in other posts.

Edited by Sabrefan1