US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Sad that you feel so strongly about a bill that you know nothing about except what you’ve “heard.”

Where does this "heard" thing come from? I never said that. The go to tactic of the left, sorry but it's true. 

10 hours ago, 4petesake said:

5000 is only the number that triggers the mandatory activation of the emergency authority which allows the US Customs and Border Protection to detain and deport without screening. The bill also extended discretionary activation to the Homeland Security Secretary if there was an average of 4000 or more over seven consecutive days. Note that that threshold was reached under Trump in May of 2019 already.

Senator James Langford, Republican coauthor of the bill  “It’s not that the first 5,000 [migrants encountered at the border] are released, that’s ridiculous,” Lankford said on the Senate floor. “The first 5,000 we detain, we screen and then we deport. If we get above 5,000, we just detain and deport.”

The bill was also supported by several groups that typically align with Republicans, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Wall Street Journal editorial board. The National Border Patrol Council, a union that represents about 18,000 border patrol agents, also endorsed the bill.

Everyone knows what happens when words like "allows" and "discretionary" are used and lawyers get a hold of them but I will spell it out. Open borders. The bill is really quite laughable even without the crazy 5000 a day bs which on it's own would be full of holes. Of course the union reps endorse the bill because it increases membership to their welcome wagon activities. This bill was a pork bill through and through with the supposed 60 billion for Ukraine and 18 billion for Israel attached as a requirement on a 118 billion dollar bill. What a joke and and I'd say a bullet dodged but there's always another bullet coming.

I see Biden has started to curb the illegal inflow for free now with the election coming up, and Kamala is checking out walls all of a sudden omg.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/op-ed/philboas/2024/10/08/trump-biden-harris-border-apprehension-immigration/75568728007/

Edited by Cranston
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bolt said:

Only a handful of apartment complexes have been taken over by Venezuelan gangs.  If you say unvetted illegal immigration is wrong you're a racist.

No one is accusing anyone of being a racist in regards to the question of what is going on in Aurora.  Stop playing that weak card.

What people are talking about is the nonsense Republican's are spewing about Aurora in order to frighten people.   It's a fact vs. fiction issue. 

I've seen ONE video of some guys with guns in the halls of ONE apartment.   Is that a handful?

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

lmao ok gonna ask a SERIOUSLY hard question here for you.

When trump was in power ok.  When exactly was the border closed?  What caused said closure.  What were the average yearly numbers under trump while in office?  Finally, since the end of covid have the numbers been dropping or not?

Go on.  Give me dates and circumstances.  This should be amusing 

So you don't know if the border can reopen the next day? That's fine, neither do I but i can read the texts which have words like "discretionary" and I agree with the experts who say the bill will be ineffectual, not the ones who promote the bill. 

I said closed like when Trump was in office, that kind of closure was beginning to work. Here's the stats you wanted me to look up for you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c0jp4xqx2z3o

6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Where does this "heard" thing come from? I never said that. The go to tactic of the left, sorry but it's true. 

Everyone knows what happens when words like "allows" and "discretionary" are used and lawyers get a hold of them but I will spell it out. Open borders. The bill is really quite laughable even without the crazy 5000 a day bs which on it's own would be full of holes. Of course the union reps endorse the bill because it increases membership to their welcome wagon activities. This bill was a pork bill through and through with the supposed 60 billion for Ukraine and 18 billion for Israel attached as a requirement on a 118 billion dollar bill. What a joke and and I'd say a bullet dodged but there's always another bullet coming.

I see Biden has started to curb the illegal inflow for free now with the election coming up, and Kamala is wall shopping all of a sudden omg.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/op-ed/philboas/2024/10/08/trump-biden-harris-border-apprehension-immigration/75568728007/

“Heard” comes from the same place as “everyone knows” and “many people are saying.” You’re just regurgitating what you’ve heard about the bill without knowing what the bill actually says. 

Tell me what’s crazy or bs about 5000? That’s simply the number that allows them to detain and deport without screening, something highly desirable no?

Open borders, no shit eh? Of course it’s an open border. The damn thing is over 3100 kms long and contrary to what you’ve been told there will never be a border wall that changes that, and even if there could be we’ve seen many posts in this thread of their effectiveness. This bill was a start to dealing with that reality.

It includedmoney to build more border barriers, to greatly expand detention facilities, and to hire more Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents, asylum officers and immigration judges to reduce the years-long backlog in cases to determine asylum eligibility. It sought to expedite the asylum process, essentially ending — in most cases — the so-called “catch and release” policy whereby migrants are released into the U.S. pending asylum hearings. And it would have increased the standard of evidence needed to win asylum status. 

As for a pork bill I assume you realize how bipartisan deals get done but I’ll remind you. The Dems and some republicans wanted a bill for aid to Ukraine and Israel, the republicans and some Dems wanted a border bill. Everyone got some of what they wanted with this deal.

All of the above boils down to exactly zero when you remember that the deal wasn’t killed because of what was or wasn’t in the deal. It was killed when Donny got pissed at his party for “handing Biden a win so close to the election.” 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

“Heard” comes from the same place as “everyone knows” and “many people are saying.” You’re just regurgitating what you’ve heard about the bill without knowing what the bill actually says. 

Tell me what’s crazy or bs about 5000? That’s simply the number that allows them to detain and deport without screening, something highly desirable no?

Not according NBC. Americans want the border closed immediately, at least to the levels documented below under "what happens when the border is closed".

Under the new immigration bill, the Department of Homeland Security could close the border if too many migrants were showing up with asylum claims. After negotiators conferred with the Border Patrol and officials at the Department of Homeland Security, they crafted the legislation to give DHS the authority to close the border if they reached a seven-day average of 4,000 or more border encounters. A seven-day average of 5,000 or more would mandate a border closure. If the number exceeded 8,500 in a single day, there would also be a mandatory border closure.

What happens if the border is closed?

If the border were shut down, at least 1,400 migrants per day who tried to enter at official ports of entry would still qualify to have their asylum claims considered. The rest would be turned away.

Open borders, no shit eh? Of course it’s an open border. The damn thing is over 3100 kms long and contrary to what you’ve been told there will never be a border wall that changes that, and even if there could be we’ve seen many posts in this thread of their effectiveness. This bill was a start to dealing with that reality.

It includedmoney to build more border barriers, to greatly expand detention facilities, and to hire more Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents, asylum officers and immigration judges to reduce the years-long backlog in cases to determine asylum eligibility. It sought to expedite the asylum process, essentially ending — in most cases — the so-called “catch and release” policy whereby migrants are released into the U.S. pending asylum hearings. And it would have increased the standard of evidence needed to win asylum status. 

As for a pork bill I assume you realize how bipartisan deals get done but I’ll remind you. The Dems and some republicans wanted a bill for aid to Ukraine and Israel, the republicans and some Dems wanted a border bill. Everyone got some of what they wanted with this deal.

Yeah Republicans get Ukraine pork and Dems get border pork. win win right.

All of the above boils down to exactly zero when you remember that the deal wasn’t killed because of what was or wasn’t in the deal. It was killed when Donny got pissed at his party for “handing Biden a win so close to the election.” 

Correct ,Trump came to the rescue of Americans when the politicians were ready to piss away billions on a feckless border bill.

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

god what a sad thing to see. How can anyone think this guy is a good choice for anything? 

The Democrats decision to erode democracy by not having a proper primary is coming back to haunt them.  Kamala and Walz are a terrible ticket; just wait until the allegations against Walz come out.  

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

The Democrats decision to erode democracy by not having a proper primary is coming back to haunt them.  Kamala and walz are a terrible ticket.  Just wait until the allegations against walz come out.

Allegations against Waltz? Since you alluded to them, what are they? 
Or are you just “pissing wind”? 

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

The Democrats decision to erode democracy by not having a proper primary is coming back to haunt them.  Kamala and Walz are a terrible ticket and  just wait until the allegations against Walz come out.

The fact that your dumbfounded that not everyone has the same opinion as yourself supporting the worst American ticket speaks volumes.

I read about that on X.  IF true, the Kamala campaign is over...

25 minutes ago, bolt said:

The Democrats decision to erode democracy by not having a proper primary is coming back to haunt them.  Kamala and Walz are a terrible ticket; just wait until the allegations against Walz come out.  

even if true, how does that not make Trump a compromised sack of crap? 

anyone that thinks trump isn't 100% out for himself is his dupe.

38 minutes ago, bolt said:

I feel the need to repeat myself:  Enough with the Democratic convention.  Do your homework rather than just spouting your party line.  No laws or rules were broken; just Republican hearts.

Here's how to erode democracy:

On January 6, 2021, the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., was attacked by a mob of supporters of then–U.S. President Donald Trump in an attempted self-coup d'état two months after his defeat in the 2020 presidential election.

As far as I can tell, it's an unfounded allegation made by some guy on Xitter, that goes by the handle @DocNetyoutube. When I search that handle, it links to an account called Black Insurrectionist. That account is full of predictable posts....

https://x.com/docnetyoutube

Here's how he describes himself:

@DocNetyoutube

I am #MAGA Followed by Dinesh D'Souza, Megyn Kelly, Glenn Beck, James O'Keefe, Catturd, Gunther Eagleman, Benny Johnson, Laura Loomer Hi-Rez, Scott Presler,

...and another tweet, regarding slavery, DEI, reparations, etc...

Click on the "show more" link for the full story on this guy's worldview.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I read about that on X.  IF true, the Kamala campaign is over...

From what I found there are charges of Covid misappropriation of funds on Walz's watch as governor. It won't help that is for sure.

Walz has a folksy deamenor which is reassuring. He has been re-elected 8X to various positions. I like how he presents but that doesn't necessarily mean much if he cannot control his purse strings. CNN is on the trail to flesh this story out. 

It is like Jimmy says look at the alternative in Trump. 

Bottom line is that I have ahigher comfort level with Harris/Walz. Foreign policy is my major concern, Ukraine/Israel. That said this race have a very weak group of Harris/Walz and Trump/Vance. No matter who wins half the country will be dissapointed. I do expect Harris/Walz to win. Perhaps the biggest outcome will be who grabs control of the GOP as Trump will finally fade into nothing. The GOP will have to move back to the center. 

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As far as I can tell, it's an unfounded allegation made by some guy on Xitter, that goes by the handle @DocNetyoutube. When I search that handle, it links to an account called Black Insurrectionist. That account is full of predictable posts....

https://x.com/docnetyoutube

Here's how he describes himself:

@DocNetyoutube

I am #MAGA Followed by Dinesh D'Souza, Megyn Kelly, Glenn Beck, James O'Keefe, Catturd, Gunther Eagleman, Benny Johnson, Laura Loomer Hi-Rez, Scott Presler,

...and another tweet, regarding slavery, DEI, reparations, etc...

Click on the "show more" link for the full story on this guy's worldview.

OK I clicked on the link but I gotta say between this schmuck and @Cranston saying “Trump came to the rescue of America” this is turning out to be a terrible day to be literate.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

From what I found there are charges of Covid misappropriation of funds on Walz's watch as governor. It won't help that is for sure.

Walz has a folksy deamenor which is reassuring. He has been re-elected 8X to various positions. I like how he presents but that doesn't necessarily mean much if he cannot control his purse strings. CNN is on the trail to flesh this story out. 

Bottom line is that I have ahigher comfort level with Harris/Walz. Foreign policy is my major concern, Ukraine/Israel. That said this race have a very weak group of Harris/Walz and Trump/Vance. No matter who wins half the country will be dissapointed. I do expect Harris/Walz to win. Perhaps the biggest outcome will be who grabs control of the GOP as Trump will finally fade into nothing. The GOP will have to move back to the center. 

I don't think that's what these guys are referring to...

There's a "story" making the rounds in conservative media, about Walz having an "inappropriate relationship" with a male student, while he was a coach. The story (and that's what I believe it is) seems to have originated from some MAGA Xitter account....

Quelle surprise....:classic_dry:

Just now, Boudrias said:

There are some true stories of misappropriation of funds in Minnesota while Walz was governor.  He was not directly involved but people say 'He should have known!'.

The same people forget all the stuff that went on in Reagan's administration and how he was able to just say 'I didn't know'.