US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Why?

A wall between Canada and the US would be every bit as useless as one between the US and Mexico.

If you're really concerned about guns coming into Canada, you need to support anti-gun legislation in your own country. (which I do) You'd have to be anti-Conservative if you have any hope of making that happen.

Its quite simple, they are not sending us their best. 😉

In all seriousness though I wasn't really thinking of guns. Now that I have given it some thought, my first reason is that it is free, who doesn't like free stuff? The second reason is that we get to boast that we built a wall and we got America to pay for it. The third reason is that doubles down as a tourist attraction. Come one, come all here is a monument to America's stupidity, the equivalent of one of those 'I am with stupid' t-shirts. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You hate Trump and aren't a fan of anyone who isn't in lockstep with your opinion of him.  There are millions of people here in the US that are the same, so I'm not surprised.

I have never been, nor will I ever be a Fox News watcher.  I used to watch CNN back when they had an honest and non-partisan news reporting division and then I switched to MSNBC (they were even my browser homepage for a number of years) before they jumped the shark and turned far left.  My politics would have once been considered left of centre.  These days with the way the left sprinted as fast as they could to the extreme, I'd land more closely to somewhere in between right of centre and moderate right.

I am not, nor will I ever be, far left or far right politically.  As for Trump as a person, I have repeatedly stated that I think he's a crook and a liar who is only concerned with what he can get for himself in the world from others.  There's a reason why every single US bank refused to lend him money and why he had to borrow money from other country's banks before he became president.  I can go on, but I'll just end up repeating what I've said about him in other posts.

I don't hate him, I loathe the man. If the left is extreme, what would you call the MAGA nonsense on the right? Hell even Albertabama has invited Tucker Carlson to Calgary to some function, in which the Premier of the Province of Alberta will attend. What does that say about our politicians? Who has given Canada this platform? None other than Donald J Trump!

If you can't see that MSNBC or CNN are trying to show the citizens of America just what Trump has done and continues to do to your Country, being left or right no longer will matter. That POS wants to be a dictator, and he said so himself after meeting Putin. I'm paraphrasing mind you, but it was along the lines of being a President for life.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I don't hate him, I loathe the man. If the left is extreme, what would you call the MAGA nonsense on the right? Hell even Albertabama has invited Tucker Carlson to Calgary to some function, in which the Premier of the Province of Alberta will attend. What does that say about our politicians? Who has given Canada this platform? None other than Donald J Trump!

If you can't see that MSNBC or CNN are trying to show the citizens of America just what Trump has done and continues to do to your Country, being left or right no longer will matter. That POS wants to be a dictator, and he said so himself after meeting Putin. I'm paraphrasing mind you, but it was along the lines of being a President for life.

For the final year I was an active member on CDC, I kept warning Canadians on that board that you guys were starting to emulate the US in your politics.  Most agreed, but a few did not.  It's a sad road to follow and it's been painful to watch.  We're a dying empire precisely because of the way we have been operating politically for the last 40 years, give or take.  Canada should not be emulating us.

I stopped watching CNN and MSNBC years before Trump was president.  I lost trust in CNN and started watching MSNBC.  I stopped watching MSNBC and removed them as my homepage when they said they were changing the way they presented the news.  They basically became a slightly more news driven left version of Fox. 

After that I stopped watching television news except for clips here and there on YouTube.  I got rid of my television and started using the Spectrum/Charter online feed.  I cancelled that when I found myself rarely using it.  Now I just use torrents and streaming services to download/stream the very few entertainment shows that I do watch.

Whether or not he wins in this next election, Trump has as much of a chance of becoming a dictator as I do of winning the Miss Universe bikini contest (if they even still do that). 

The founding fathers gave the states final power over their electoral votes for a reason.  The fail-safe was further strengthened when a 2-term maximum was installed into the Constitution.  As soon as Trump's successor would be sworn into office, he/she would then order that Trump be arrested, and then removed from the White House.  That's why he didn't try to stay after losing to Biden.  He knew it was over when everyone started to abandon him.  The same exact thing would happen the 2nd time around.  That's one thing that has been made painfully clear to Trump these last couple months.  Not one person with anything to lose is willing to risk prison for him.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

For the final year I was an active member on CDC, I kept warning Canadians on that board that you guys were starting to emulate the US in your politics.  Most agreed, but a few did not.  It's a sad road to follow and it's been painful to watch.  We're a dying empire precisely because of the way we have been operating politically for the last 40 years, give or take.  Canada should not be emulating us.

I stopped watching CNN and MSNBC years before Trump was president.  I lost trust in CNN and started watching MSNBC.  I stopped watching MSNBC and removed them as my homepage when they said they were changing the way they presented the news.  They basically became a slightly more news driven left version of Fox. 

After that I stopped watching television news except for clips here and there on YouTube.  I got rid of my television and started using the Spectrum/Charter online feed.  I cancelled that when I found myself rarely using it.  Now I just use torrents and streaming services to download/stream the very few entertainment shows that I do watch.

Whether or not he wins in this next election, Trump has as much of a chance of becoming a dictator as I do of winning the Miss Universe bikini contest (if they even still do that). 

The founding fathers gave the states final power over their electoral votes for a reason.  The fail-safe was further strengthened when a 2-term maximum was installed into the Constitution.  As soon as Trump's successor would be sworn into office, he/she would then order that Trump be arrested, and then removed from the White House.  That's why he didn't try to stay after losing to Biden.  He knew it was over when everyone started to abandon him.  The same exact thing would happen the 2nd time around.  That's one thing that has been made painfully clear to Trump these last couple months.  Not one person with anything to lose is willing to risk prison for him.

We are only a small society compared to you however we have 2 reasonably good sources of news and current affairs.

The ABC which is publicly funded and SBS which is both publicly funded and has some advertising revenue.

Not only do they have these resources there are lots of great documentaries and a dedicated World Movies chanel, lots of fantastic movies from all around the world. 

SBS also has TV series like  Letterkenny and Shoresy which are from Canada, and other good TV series from all over the the planet.

As for our politics we had a " teal " wave at the last election.

This article illustrates how they took the seats from the liberal party, right wing, and they were moderates who could not counter the extremists in their party.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/23/teal-independents-who-are-they-how-did-they-upend-australia-election

People here are starting to wake up to the giant douche and the turd sandwich. 

Our PM, Albo is a decent bloke, comes from a single parent, public housing background.

The opposition leader Peter Dutton is in the mold of our last 4 of the 5 last liberal party leaders, Malcolm Turnbull was the exception, he is a decent bloke even though he is super rich. 

Oh and by the way, I believe you would look absolutely fantastic in a Mankini.

Buy one and come on over for the next Mardi Gras.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You hate Trump and aren't a fan of anyone who isn't in lockstep with your opinion of him.  There are millions of people here in the US that are the same, so I'm not surprised.

I have never been, nor will I ever be a Fox News watcher.  I used to watch CNN back when they had an honest and non-partisan news reporting division and then I switched to MSNBC (they were even my browser homepage for a number of years) before they jumped the shark and turned far left.  My politics would have once been considered left of centre.  These days with the way the left sprinted as fast as they could to the extreme, I'd land more closely to somewhere in between right of centre and moderate right.

I am not, nor will I ever be, far left or far right politically.  As for Trump as a person, I have repeatedly stated that I think he's a crook and a liar who is only concerned with what he can get for himself in the world from others.  There's a reason why every single US bank refused to lend him money and why he had to borrow money from other country's banks before he became president.  I can go on, but I'll just end up repeating what I've said about him in other posts.

What are your thoughts of Manchin as a 3rd party candidate? Do you think he can pull enough GOP and Dem middle of the road voters? I believe there could be high level members of each party who join him. 

9 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

It's funny....I've been saying exactly this for about 8 years. There's an obvious distinction for me, but so many people seem to think it's the same as "hate".

I don't think I truly "hate" anyone. Closest for me would be Vladimir Putin and Duncan Keith....

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What are your thoughts of Manchin as a 3rd party candidate? Do you think he can pull enough GOP and Dem middle of the road voters? I believe there could be high level members of each party who join him. 

Let me guess, COAL is going to be his platform? That and what else?

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Manvhin has stated privately that unless there’s a good chance he can win he would drop out before the election. 

10 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Explain his SCOTUS nominations then? All three are more right than Atilla the Hun. His alliances with Putin, Kim Jong, and all those other fascist leaders in the World. He wants out of NATO, and he'd do his best to America stand on its own. Trump doesn't believe in your Constitution, is that not hard to see? They've tried they're hardest, and he's still going to be the Republican nominee.

TRUMP has until Jan 15th to indicate whether he will use the advice of council defense in his DC trial.  If he does, he waives attorney-client privilege.  All communications between TRUMP and his attorney(s) becomes subject to discovery.  This will prevent TRUMP from using this as a stalling method when the trial starts as discovery at that point would cause disruption and delay.  I'm not sure TRUMP would want this as I think the attorneys involved wouldn't want to receive charges if they try to withhold documents.

Chutkan partially granted a motion from special counsel Jack Smith’s team asking her to require Trump to declare whether he plans to use the advice-of-counsel defense, in which a defendant argues that he relied in good faith on the advice of his attorneys.

https://www.salon.com/2023/11/09/puts-in-a-box-experts-say-chutkan-just-forced-to-put-up-or-shut-up-on-defense/

“Puts Trump in a box”: Experts say Judge Chutkan just forced Trump to “put up or shut up” on defense

Trump could be forced to turn over private communications with his attorneys — or lose his key defense

• ThereItIs 1

As usual, Judge MAGA kicks the can down the road.  We won't know until March if the trial will go as scheduled in May.  This might be a tactic to force the Georgia trial to set a date.  The thought is that if Judge MAGA moves the trial to later, the Georgia case will swoop into the opening created.  Yet, this delay on Judge MAGA might backfire as the Georgia case may box her in and prevent Judge MAGA from a large delay.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/judge-classified-documents-case-rejects-trumps-request-delay-may-trial-rcna124614

Judge in classified documents case rejects Trump's request to delay May trial date

Judge Aileen Cannon had announced in July that the trial would begin May 20 in Fort Pierce, Florida.

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Explain his SCOTUS nominations then? All three are more right than Atilla the Hun. His alliances with Putin, Kim Jong, and all those other fascist leaders in the World. He wants out of NATO, and he'd do his best to America stand on its own. Trump doesn't believe in your Constitution, is that not hard to see? They've tried they're hardest, and he's still going to be the Republican nominee.

Do you just ignore the things I have said about Trump in this thread.  I've written paragraph after paragraph about how dishonest he has been his entire life.

I used to take pleasure in telling Trumpers here in NY that Trump was so poor in his business acumen that had he just taken his inheritance and stuck it in an average performing mutual fund, he'd would have been much richer than he pretended to be.  He also flat out screwed one of his own siblings over after his father died.  Trump is not a good person and he's a poor businessman who built a fiefdom on fraud and lies.

I could go on and on, but I'm starting to think that you have your own internal narrative going on about our discussion.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Do you just ignore the things I have said about Trump in this thread.  I've written paragraph after paragraph about how dishonest he has been his entire life.

I used to take pleasure in telling Trumpers here in NY that Trump was so poor in his business acumen that had he just taken his inheritance and stuck it in an average performing mutual fund, he'd would have been much richer than he pretended to be.  He also flat out screwed one of his own siblings over after his father died.  Trump is not a good person and he's a poor businessman who built a fiefdom on fraud and lies.

I could go on and on, but I'm starting to think that you have your own internal narrative going on about our discussion.

I'm agreeing with you, but, Trump is still a presidential candidate. You are saying the same old, same old, we've heard all about his business shortfalls, his screwing over contractors and trades people. Internal narrative, tell us something we don't already know. He hates losing, and he'll do anything in his power if elected to try and never leave the highest position in the USA. His wacko base are his soldiers, some of them have paid the price by serving long sentences in prison and there will be more, many more.

6 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

He hates losing, and he'll do anything in his power if elected to try and never leave the highest position in the USA. His wacko base are his soldiers, some of them have paid the price by serving long sentences in prison and there will be more, many more.

The Coles/Cliffs notes version:

I talked about this very subject yesterday.  The very second that Trump's replacement would get sworn into office, Trump is no longer president.  The new president, as the new commander-in-chief of the armed forces, would order him to be forcefully arrested and removed from the White House.  Trump realized that after his loss to Biden when everyone, including his butt kissing and enabling AG, started jumping ship.

By the end, he had to actually order his acting CoS to line up rank and file WH staff workers and the few aides that remained to line up for his departure aboard Marine 1.

Even if the Republicans win both the House and Senate, history suggests that they will most likely lose one chamber at the mid-terms so in essence, if elected, Trump will be a lame duck anyways after his first 2 years.

Edited by Sabrefan1
forgot a 2nd T on butt

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣

"Every accusation is a confession" - GOP

It appears all of DC is a cesspool of corruption, no matter the party. I had to smile watching the Seinfeld 'Car & Coffee' segment with Obama. Obama came off well and of course Seinfeld asked some good questions. Seinfeld asked how many leaders he met were off their rockers. Obama said the majority were. Funny but scary. 

Most disturbing is the net worth of these politicians when they go into office and their net worth when they leave. Needless to say they leave multi millionaires. They trade on markets with insider info and they pocket PAC money when they can. Goodness knows what contracts they send to friends and relatives. Convicting Trump and Biden's son would be a good start at cleaning DC up.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Anyone else would be in jail for all the badmouthing this bozo has done.

'Bringing justice into disrepute" or something like that wording.

The fact he isn't already in jail, is now in my view, actually damaging the law system.

he's trying to goad the judge into a mistake he can use at the inevitable appeal.