US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is the world in a place right now where the USA can be so split though? IMHAO we need a strong America with a strong leader. If not the world we see four years from now just might look apocalyptic. 

People said Trump was going to lead us into WW3 if he ever became president.  He didn't.

I don't think either candidate will lead us into a world war.  I think whoever is president next will have a significant effect on the world's economy by the people they choose to run the US's economy.  The world is headed for a recession and I'd rather we get through it quickly.  Hopefully whichever candidate wins will be able to manage that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

if Hillary can be investigated for e mails,

if Hunter can be investigative for a laptop ..

Donald can be involved for conspiracy and conspiring allies to incite a coup / insurrection against the United States of America.

Should be in The Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity, similar to Nuremberg.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Donald Trump Warns Of 'Radical Left' Election Backlash, Suggests Military Response

The former president talked about the "enemy from within" during a weekend interview on "Sunday Morning Futures."

This is domestic terrorism yet again and needs to treated as such.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

People said Trump was going to lead us into WW3 if he ever became president.  He didn't.

I don't think either candidate will lead us into a world war.  I think whoever is president next will have a significant effect on the world's economy by the people they choose to run the US's economy.  The world is headed for a recession and I'd rather we get through it quickly.  Hopefully whichever candidate wins will be able to manage that.

We should all worry about WWIII.  That's said, I'm not too worried now and I was not worried when Trump took office nor can I really remember anyone else worrying.

If he get's in again I'm worried about autocratic police states and justice which is not blind. I worry about his proposed tariffs will affect North America. I worry about the Project 2025 he verbally distances himself from but is still so physically linked to. I worry about a real - not perceived -  weaponization of the DOJ. 

I believe those who have worked with him and now say he is unfit to serve.   I believe what many said about him before political and financial asperations caused them to flip and climb on the bandwagon. I don't believe what they say now.

Trump is nothing but chaos.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m assuming the assassin is a mentally deranged Trump supporter?

It looks like you beat me to the punch. 

Not to diminish it, it's awful. But is catching someone outside of a rally actually an assassination attempt?

I mean maybe? If so I think Trudeau qualifies for one or two.

25 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't worry about nuclear war, I'll either be evaporated instantly or be gone soon enough from the fallout.

I am concerned about how extreme trump is getting tho, the rhetoric has consequences as the nutbars will take it and do a lot of harm, probably regardless of the election outcome.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I am moderately optimistic that Americans will reject Trumpism finally, and elect Harris.

In fact, I don't want to say it out loud, but it could be a huge blue landslide.

My worry is that IF as election returns come in for the first States, the ones in contention, and its going to Harris early on, Trump will get on his megaphone and go all in.  And call for violence to "stop the steal'.   That they will even have militia groups standing down until they are needed. And once Trump gives the signal, they will take over polling stations, masked brownshirts, and steal or destroy ballots. Especially polling stations in swing States in districts where Harris was slightly ahead in the polls going in. Basically invalidate those votes.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

We should all worry about WWIII.  That's said, I'm not too worried now and I was not worried when Trump took office nor can I really remember anyone else worrying.

Here in NY and even on social media, all I ever heard was that Donald Trump was going to take over the military and start a dictatorship that was going to lead to a world war.  Trump had to make anti-war part of his original campaign as a result.

The goofy thing is that he once floated an idea, after he was elected, that could have heated up our relations with South America.  And what's just as goofy is that he became friendly with the people he was supposed to start a world war with.

If he get's in again I'm worried about autocratic police states and justice which is not blind.

Valid concern.

I worry about his proposed tariffs will affect North America.

I have a similar concern.  Biden tossed a few of his tariffs, but kept and expanded plenty of Trump's tariffs.  If Trump wants to take up the tariff game again, he needs to do it in a way that brings jobs back to the US without making runaway tabletop inflation a problem again.

I worry about the Project 2025 he verbally distances himself from but is still so physically linked to.

Project 2025 has been around longer than I've been alive.  It's a very old conservative playbook. 

I worry about a real - not perceived -  weaponization of the DOJ.

Valid.  It's going to happen.  DC politics has gotten dirty and this will likely be high on Trump's agenda.

I believe those who have worked with him and now say he is unfit to serve.   I believe what many said about him before political and financial asperations caused them to flip and climb on the bandwagon. I don't believe what they say now.

Valid concerns.

All of DC is chaos these days.  Not just Trump. 

What concerns me is that Trump will cause problems because of his emotions.  He's going to be an octogenarian soon and emotional and mental control is something that often becomes more difficult around his age.  He's pissed off and will likely be looking for revenge against the people that he's angry with.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Here in NY and even on social media, all I ever heard was that Donald Trump was going to take over the military and start a dictatorship that was going to lead to a world war.  Trump had to make anti-war part of his original campaign as a result.

The goofy thing is that he once floated an idea, after he was elected, that could have heated up our relations with South America.  And what's just as goofy is that he became friendly with the people he was supposed to start a world war with.

Valid concern.

I have a similar concern.  Biden tossed a few of his tariffs, but kept and expanded plenty of Trump's tariffs.  If Trump wants to take up the tariff game again, he needs to do it in a way that brings jobs back to the US without making runaway tabletop inflation a problem again.

Project 2025 has been around longer than I've been alive.  It's a very old conservative playbook. 

Valid.  It's going to happen.  DC politics has gotten dirty and this will likely be high on Trump's agenda.

Valid concerns.

Difference it seems there was a line of sorts with the "old time politics".  There are no boundaries with Dotard...

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't worry about nuclear war, I'll either be evaporated instantly or be gone soon enough from the fallout.

I am concerned about how extreme trump is getting tho, the rhetoric has consequences as the nutbars will take it and do a lot of harm, probably regardless of the election outcome.

I just don't know if MAGA will care enough about Trump if he loses again. 

If Trump wins, MAGA is going to be pushing him to go medieval on the people that strongly opposed him.

The Congressional outcome will determine how much Trump will be able to do.  I think that the Democrats will likely keep at least one of the houses and they'll just oppose and defund anything Trump wants to do.  If they take back the House, they'll likely also have impeachment hearings for whatever they decide.

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I just don't know if MAGA will care enough about Trump if he loses again. 

If Trump wins, MAGA is going to be pushing him to go medieval on the people that strongly opposed him.

The Congressional outcome will determine how much Trump will be able to do.  I think that the Democrats will likely keep at least one of the houses and they'll just oppose and defund anything Trump wants to do.  If they take back the House, they'll likely also have impeachment hearings for whatever they decide.

I think you are underestimating the maga culture. Trump will be it's spirit guide long after he's gone imo. 

People actually believe that Biden cloud seeded a hurricane. Those morons aren't going away.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Difference it seems there was a line of sorts with the "old time politics".  There are no boundaries with Dotard...

I suppose we may end up seeing soon enough.

-----

I thought I saw this movie when I was a kid.  Apparently not.  I really thought that poor cat was a goner.

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think you are underestimating the maga culture. Trump will be it's spirit guide long after he's gone imo. 

People actually believe that Biden cloud seeded a hurricane. Those morons aren't going away.

Stupid people will always be stupid no matter what.

As for MAGA, it was diminished after his first loss, but sure, there will be pockets of red hatters for years to come no matter who wins this upcoming election.

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

This one might have just been a somewhat twisted guy who likes having guns in his car.  And Trump.

Federal officials say no evidence of assassination attempt after man arrested with weapons near Trump rally in California

Two federal officials told CNN there is no evidence at this time to indicate a man who was arrested on gun charges near Donald Trump’s Saturday rally in California was attempting to assassinate the former president.

In a joint statement with the FBI and Justice Department, the US Secret Service said that “former President Trump was not in any danger” at the rally.

The man, who authorities say was illegally possessing a shotgun, a loaded handgun and a high-capacity magazine, was able to gain access to an initial perimeter near the rally in Coachella, Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco said Sunday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/13/politics/trump-coachella-rally-man-arrested/index.html

You know who's disappointed by this? Trump and his supporters.....

....and maybe a "centrist" or two....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't recall "people" saying that. I do however, recall several CDC posters making that claim about Hillary...

That being said, Iran started stirring up shit almost immediately after Trump tore up the Nuclear Proliferation deal.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I don't recall "people" saying that. I do however, recall several CDC posters making that claim about Hillary...

I wasn't talking about people here/CDC.  I was talking about social media, mostly Twitter, and people in New York State.

That being said, Iran started stirring up shit almost immediately after Trump tore up the Nuclear Proliferation deal.

Iran is going to be Iran no matter who is president.  Countries run by their top religious guy rarely turn out well balanced.  History has proven that time and time again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

If he get's in again I'm worried about autocratic police states and justice which is not blind. I worry about his proposed tariffs will affect North America. I worry about the Project 2025 he verbally distances himself from but is still so physically linked to. I worry about a real - not perceived -  weaponization of the DOJ. 

I worry about those things as well.....I also worry about the possibility (some might say probability) or Thomas and Alito retiring and being replaced by more Heritage Foundation picks, thus cementing the SCOTUS as hopelessly partisan conservative for a generation....

I have to believe that a lot of women worry about that as well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I will say the Dems have been saying this for a while (only with a bit more finesse):

Course you have both the good (and very bad) with LBJ.  Corrupt (imho) & got the US into the police action in Vietnam (though I suppose one *could* argue he was merely continuing what JFK would've done) on the one hand....and Civil rights legislation/voting rights on the other.  Did result in a bunch of "Dixiecrats" moving over to the GOP.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Valid concern.

Valid concerns.

What concerns me is that Trump will cause problems because of his emotions.  He's going to be an octogenarian soon and emotional and mental control is something that often becomes more difficult around his age.  He's pissed off and will likely be looking for revenge against the people that he's angry with.

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with just about everything but Project 2025.  Yes, it's old and is renamed every election, but the current version is worse than it has ever been before. 

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Iran is going to be Iran no matter who is president.  Countries run by their top religious guy rarely turn out well balanced.  History has proven that time and time again.

They were complying with the deal when Trump nixed it. That is a fact, confirmed by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

https://www.reuters.com/article/world/iran-is-complying-with-nuclear-deal-restrictions-iaea-report-idUSKCN1LF1KP/

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with just about everything but Project 2025.  Yes, it's old and is renamed every election, but the current version is worse than it has ever been before. 

Unless the Republicans get both Houses of Congress and the Presidency, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Unless the Republicans get both Houses of Congress and the Presidency, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

You keep saying that.  I hope you are right but I'm just not so sure.  Loading up the various departments with MAGA's can be done without the House can it not?  

What Is Schedule F? 

Schedule F is an executive order that former President Trump issued in October 2020 to remove the employment protections that prevent career government employees from being replaced for partisan reasons. It was rescinded by President Biden as soon as he took office in January 2021. If Schedule F were to be reinstated, the president would be virtually free to fire dedicated civil servants and replace them with loyalists and ideologues.

Although the Project 2025 website does not specifically refer to Schedule F, this obscure rule change is essentially synonymous with the Heritage Foundation’s initiative to install as many as 50,000 conservative movement activists in the government. The reinstatement of Schedule F on “day one” is also the first step of Trump’s campaign platform, Agenda47, under which he plans to “dismantle the deep state.”

https://kettering.org/the-schedule-f-threat-to-democracy-a-project-2025-explainer/

It looks like he wants to replace the fictional deep state with a real one.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1