US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You keep saying that.  I hope you are right but I'm just not so sure.  Loading up the various departments with MAGA's can be done without the House can it not?  

What Is Schedule F? 

Schedule F is an executive order that former President Trump issued in October 2020 to remove the employment protections that prevent career government employees from being replaced for partisan reasons. It was rescinded by President Biden as soon as he took office in January 2021. If Schedule F were to be reinstated, the president would be virtually free to fire dedicated civil servants and replace them with loyalists and ideologues.

Although the Project 2025 website does not specifically refer to Schedule F, this obscure rule change is essentially synonymous with the Heritage Foundation’s initiative to install as many as 50,000 conservative movement activists in the government. The reinstatement of Schedule F on “day one” is also the first step of Trump’s campaign platform, Agenda47, under which he plans to “dismantle the deep state.”

https://kettering.org/the-schedule-f-threat-to-democracy-a-project-2025-explainer/

It looks like he wants to replace the fictional deep state with a real one.

Technically a president can do what he wishes with most federal employees.  Whatever Trump does, the next president can undo.  Biden proved that when he repealed what Trump did and refilled the holes with his own people.

The worry is that if Trump gets elected, he roots out people from the government that he doesn't want and then a Republican controlled Congress makes laws cementing his decisions in place.

Executive orders by themselves are easily reversed by successive presidents.  Biden reversed many of Trump's just like Trump did with a number of Obama's.

They are only a long term issue long-term if they are made into law.  That's why I keep saying that I don't want either party having a monopoly on both the executive and legislative front.

Right now it's a bigger worry if the Republicans get both Houses along with the Executive seat because the judicial branch already leans towards them so the checks on their power would be weaker.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think you are underestimating the maga culture. Trump will be it's spirit guide long after he's gone imo. 

People actually believe that Biden cloud seeded a hurricane. Those morons aren't going away.

MAGA culture has people believing the dumbest shit. I don’t know if this story has legs or not but if true…🤔

The Washington Post story is paywalled but the Reddit link should take you to the story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/s/RUPpJ75TnW

Hurricane recovery officials in N.C. relocated amid report of ‘armed militia,’ email shows

Around 1 p.m. Saturday, an official with the U.S. Forest Service, which is supporting recovery efforts after Hurricane Helene along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, sent an urgent message to numerous federal agencies warning that “FEMA has advised all federal responders Rutherford County, NC, to stand down and evacuate the county immediately. The message stated that National Guard troops 'had come across x2 trucks of armed militia saying there were out hunting FEMA.’”

Two federal officials confirmed the authenticity of the email, though it was unclear whether the quoted threat was seen as credible. The National Guard referred questions to FEMA when asked about the incident. One Forest Service official coordinating the Helene recovery said responders moved to a “safe area” and at least some work in that area — which included clearing trees off dozens of damaged and blocked roads to help search-and-rescue crews, as well as groups delivering supplies — was paused.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

She smell blood ….   she is a Tiger ! 

… I think she is going to nail him with words even harder than this ,.  I think she’s saving it for the week before kill .

This is perfect. Attack Trump on a personal level. Say he has little hands and he’s overweight and he cheats at golf. His ego will get him frothing at the mouth. He will cut his own throat and it will be too funny. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I just looked at that article.  I'd read it before on the day it came out.  Yes, the numbers have increased since 2020.   Covid had something to do with that.  The world economy had something to do with that. The abysmal economies of Venezuela and Latin America also factor in. A big increase in Chinese immigrants as well.

You are quite focused on the graph alone.  The article also points out:

How have government policies affected border crossings?

Both the Trump and Biden administrations used a Covid-19 public health measure to quickly return migrants at the border.

Between its start in March 2020 and its end in May 2023, migrants were expelled nearly three million times under this policy.

Despite this, encounters continued to increase, according to the Migration Policy Institute.

The factors driving this included a post-lockdown surge in crossings and political and economic instability in countries such as Venezuela.

Republicans say Biden’s “weak” policies on immigration also encouraged migrants to travel to the US - and some Democrats in border states criticised the administration for not acting quickly enough to address the crisis.

An attempt to pass a cross-party bill to tighten border security failed in May 2024, with Harris saying that Trump "tanked it".

Biden issued an executive order the following month to quickly deport migrants at the border.

This means migrants can be sent back without having their asylum claims processed, if the average number of weekly encounters exceeded a certain threshold.

A month after the order was introduced, encounters at the southern border fell by a fifth.

Yes congrats to Biden for finally issuing his own executive order to stop the influx he caused by immediately rescinding Trumps executive order shutting down the border, and thanks to Trump for shutting down that horrendous border pork bill that would have codified open borders forever. Sixteen thousand border patrol agents agree.

https://x.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1845622336785125394

Edited by Cranston
  • Desmenko 2

my thoughts exactly ..

but the conspirator in me says:

makes me wonder if it’s an attempt by media to totally bankrupt Trump ,and or, ,  just keep getting the wild headlines,  and less of the truth call-outs to shut him down and ignore him.

Edited by SilentSam

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

my thoughts exactly ..

but the conspirator in me says:

makes me wonder if it’s an attempt by media to totally bankrupt Trump ,and or, ,  just keep getting the wild headlines,  and less of the truth call-outs to shut him down and ignore him.

It's like if high schoolers were voting for their valedictorian and, instead of voting for a high achieving, academically strong student, they vote for Donald, the guy who has trouble passing the remedial classes. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Duodenum said:

It's like if high schoolers were voting for their valedictorian and, instead of voting for a high achieving, academically strong student, they vote for Donald, the guy who has trouble passing the remedial classes. 

.. and the one who doesn’t pay his bills as required ..

this is how he will leave the entire US.

this was strategic,   He will lose California anyway,  but he wants to piss off his followers and make them angry enough to lash out.

And I don’t doubt for one second that what the Republicans are doing with Abortion , is to selectively target States to Divide the entire Country..

think about it for a minute ,.

I do not doubt that there is a Map on this issue with a new border that divides the US into 2 .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cranston said:

Yes congrats to Biden for finally issuing his own executive order to stop the influx he caused by immediately rescinding Trumps executive order shutting down the border, and thanks to Trump for shutting down that horrendous border pork bill that would have codified open borders forever. Sixteen thousand border patrol agents agree.

https://x.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1845622336785125394

I am astonished to see you were able to find a few internet phrases and a tweet that agree with you.  Is my discussion with you or with your whole gang?  I ask because it's  become very apparent that the gang does not always tell the truth about the border.  They sure can raise a mob under false pretext though.

Some FEMA operations paused in North Carolina after reports National Guard troops saw ‘armed militia’ threatening them

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/14/us/fema-helene-north-carolina-reported-threats/index.html

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I just looked at that article.  I'd read it before on the day it came out.  Yes, the numbers have increased since 2020.   Covid had something to do with that.  The world economy had something to do with that. The abysmal economies of Venezuela and Latin America also factor in. A big increase in Chinese immigrants as well.

An author's opinion. Noted.

You are quite focused on the graph alone.  The article also points out:

How have government policies affected border crossings?

Both the Trump and Biden administrations used a Covid-19 public health measure to quickly return migrants at the border.

Between its start in March 2020 and its end in May 2023, migrants were expelled nearly three million times under this policy.

Yes, I was looking for the purest factual info in answer to a posters request. I note author opinion in the text, but understand it will be full of half truth and omission.

Despite this, encounters continued to increase, according to the Migration Policy Institute.

The factors driving this included a post-lockdown surge in crossings and political and economic instability in countries such as Venezuela.

I guess the real issue is how many migrants cross and are now resident in the US on the gov't tit between administrations. Surely it's a total Biden blowout.

Republicans say Biden’s “weak” policies on immigration also encouraged migrants to travel to the US - and some Democrats in border states criticised the administration for not acting quickly enough to address the crisis.

An attempt to pass a cross-party bill to tighten border security failed in May 2024, with Harris saying that Trump "tanked it".

Biden issued an executive order the following month to quickly deport migrants at the border.

This means migrants can be sent back without having their asylum claims processed, if the average number of weekly encounters exceeded a certain threshold.

A month after the order was introduced, encounters at the southern border fell by a fifth.

This last part I already replied to.

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I am astonished to see you were able to find a few internet phrases and a tweet that agree with you.  Is my discussion with you or with your whole gang?  I ask because it's  become very apparent that the gang does not always tell the truth about the border.  They sure can raise a mob under false pretext though.

Some FEMA operations paused in North Carolina after reports National Guard troops saw ‘armed militia’ threatening them

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/14/us/fema-helene-north-carolina-reported-threats/index.html

A tweet that agrees with me lol?  The border patrol is endorsing Trump. It doesn't get any worse for your position than that. Internet phrases? What are you referring too?Anyway, maybe you wanted me to address the first part of your previous post so I brought it back up. 

My thought on concerns outlined in this vague concerns in this article are...Do your jobs and quit playing politics. I doubt this is anything but a bomb threat style hoax (from either side of the aisle) and aid workers should be willing to accept risk like this during disaster relief.