US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, LegioN said:

And how should we describe this?  Fake News?  Election Fraud?  Dirty Tricks?  Or, as the Republicans like to say: Legitimate political discourse?  (Like January  6th.)

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Oops, spoke too soon.  I didn't realize that the NDP actually do have a similar plan. So its not all "padding" themselves.

https://vancouversun.com/news/bc-election-eby-promises-75-million-rural-health-loan-forgiveness

Eby said the NDP program will offer student loan forgiveness of between $10,000 and $20,000 in return for doctors, nurses and other health care professionals guaranteeing to stay in a rural community for a minimum of five years.

I think Eby could increase that amount.  But yeah, at least they are trying to solve the problem.

As far as I know this has been going on for years. Nurses, doctors etc. are eligible for full reimbursement as long as they work full time in their profession, in bc, for 5 years. Plus they have implemented a nursing program starting next year where grade 12 kids can get their first year courses done, paid for by the district. So this is what the ndp has done. What are the conservatives going to do? You know, and I know, most likely sweet eff all. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

OK everyone, psycho sway to Slash like there's no tomorrow.

Haha hilarious. Thanks Deb. I couldn’t wrap my brain around it before… but now I totally get it.

He’s completely in touch with the common voter  Not sure how I missed that before. All I need now is a grudge against wind and I might just go and buy a red hat. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

This is justified to protect "democracy" 

GZ8fRJ5b0AAT26y.jpeg

As Satchmo pointed out this is a fake headline. Aren't you lot tired of being played so often?

You just keep coming back for more.

Here is the full article from behind the paywall in case anyone is interested:

https://www.archivebuttons.com/articles?article=https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/10/kamala-harris-trump-january-6/620310/

Trump backers in the closest tipping-point states would “manufacture doubt about the results, and then use that doubt to allow state legislatures to step in and say, ‘Well, we can’t really be sure of the winner, so we’re just going to decide which slate of electors to choose.’” As my colleague Barton Gellman reported before last year’s election, ambiguities in the Electoral Count Act of 1887, which provides instructions to Congress for resolving disputes, could lead to chaos when lawmakers meet to tally the results.

Presiding over the assembly will be Harris, who, as Pence, Biden, and Gore did in previous elections, will likely appear on the ballot herself. What will she do—what can she do—if Republicans empowered with congressional majorities refuse to accept the certification of a Democratic win in one or more key states? How would she handle a certification from a Republican governor or secretary of state that appeared to subvert the popular vote in that state? What if, in other words, it were up to her to stop the steal?

So if you were an American, would you support Harris stopping the steal?  A real steal.

Or would you just accept slates of fake electors of Trump stooges and willing Republican legislatures ignoring the will of the people?

What if Trudeau tried something similar? (different system I know).  Is that okay with you?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

That's barely anything to live in a remote shit hole.

The hell are you going on about? All incentives that can help attract health professionals to rural and remote areas are good. Most of Canada is realistically considered rural and remote. Most of Canada's population lives within proximity of the US border, but a not insignificant portion of it doesn't. 2021 census had nearly 6M rural Canadians, I'd imagine that number has grown. 

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/subjects-start/society_and_community/rural_canada

There are northern communities throughout Canada that have to rely on fly in, fly out methods, telehealth, hybrid models that involve telehealth, and so on. Some communities rely on professionals driving out to semi-regularly provide care. It's not uncommon for folks to have to travel for care. Lot of rural and remote communities lack mental health services in particular.

Incentives already exist for some professions, lot of BC communities are underserved. Any commitment to bolster these efforts is good. My understanding is social workers will also be eligible for loan forgiveness beginning in late 2025, hopefully the list of eligible human services professions continues to grow. 

https://studentaidbc.ca/repay/repayment-help/bc-loan-forgiveness-program

It also happens at the federal level. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/education/student-aid/grants-loans/repay/assistance/doctors-nurses/eligibility.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/education/student-aid/grants-loans/repay/assistance/doctors-nurses/amount.html

Incentives do work, I've got a friend who works as a psyche nurse who'll be moving up to Dawson in January because of them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Bidenomics 

image.thumb.jpeg.69e4e7c65bddcb6515584f3232082268.jpeg

Highest GDP growth 

image.jpeg.7275aec7d28aae5cf79bac7f432454d0.jpeg

Only country along with Canada who's citizen's purchasing power has increased (due to stronger wage growth and less inflation than other countries).

Wage gains at the bottom, they found, have been so steep that they have erased a full third of the rise in wage inequality between the poorest and richest workers over the previous 40 years.

Wage inequality down.

The unemployment rate—defined as the percentage of workers who have recently looked for a job but don’t have one—has been at or below 4 percent for more than two years, the longest streak since the 1960s. 

Jobs for everyone 

The most recent report found that, from 2019 to 2022, the net worth of the median household increased by 37 percent, from about $141,000 to $192,000, adjusted for inflation. 

People making way more money

With interest rates coming down, housing will also find some relief.

Amazing results post-covid from the states and Canada isn't too shabby either.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

40 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Bidenomics 

image.thumb.jpeg.69e4e7c65bddcb6515584f3232082268.jpeg

Highest GDP growth 

image.jpeg.7275aec7d28aae5cf79bac7f432454d0.jpeg

Only country along with Canada who's citizen's purchasing power has increased (due to stronger wage growth and less inflation than other countries).

Wage gains at the bottom, they found, have been so steep that they have erased a full third of the rise in wage inequality between the poorest and richest workers over the previous 40 years.

Wage inequality down.

The unemployment rate—defined as the percentage of workers who have recently looked for a job but don’t have one—has been at or below 4 percent for more than two years, the longest streak since the 1960s. 

Jobs for everyone 

The most recent report found that, from 2019 to 2022, the net worth of the median household increased by 37 percent, from about $141,000 to $192,000, adjusted for inflation. 

People making way more money

With interest rates coming down, housing will also find some relief.

Amazing results post-covid from the states and Canada isn't too shabby either.

you need to learn the difference between real and nominal growth

that you believe people's purchasing power has increased when grocery costs are up 40% in 4 years, interest rates are up 400% in the same period, energy costs are up 100-200% ....lol

• Desmenko 1

4 hours ago, LegioN said:

Kinda like

the russia hoax

hunter's laptop was russian disinformation

obama didn't spy on trump

safe and effective

covid didnt come from a lab

I could go on and on...

its amazing to see so much of society know they're lied to repeatedly, and keep believing the liars

• Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Kinda like:

They are eating the cats.

The election was stolen

Jan 6 was caused by Antifa

Kamala wears an ear piece

Windmills cause cancer

Kim Jong Un is a great guy (Orban too)

Something about sharks and batteries

I'm a stable genius

Covfefe

I could go on and on...

its amazing to see so much of society not even catch on to how they're lied to repeatedly, and keep believing the liars

Obama is Nigerian 

Epstein is a great guy

Diddly is a great guy

....I could go on

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MillersWrister said:

cool

i can feed you so much truth and facts you'll all lose your minds...not interested

if you feel safer being brainwashed go ahead

some of us use our brains, it separates us from primates

Primates do use their brains.  A smart person should be able to come up with a better comparison than that.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, MillersWrister said:

you need to learn the difference between real and nominal growth

that you believe people's purchasing power has increased when grocery costs are up 40% in 4 years, interest rates are up 400% in the same period, energy costs are up 100-200% ....lol

image.png.0825f130717df4944801ce0cbe11c742.png

Stats are there. People can buy more than before. 

The biggest outlier is housing because of interest rates and the interest rates have already started to fall with a 50 bps decrease expected next. The fed did an excellent job along with the Biden government in preventing a recession post covid. 

Inflation outpaced Wage growth from May 2021 to Feb 2023. From 2019 to 2021, and after Feb 2023, wage growth has outpaced inflation.

My own purchasing power, along with my wife's, friend's, and family's has all increased (in Canada). 

Retail sales continue to be very strong. 

Real average hourly earnings (calculated by adjusting nominal average hourly earnings for inflation using the CPI-U) increased by 1.20% between February 2020 and May 2024, while disposable per-capita real personal income increased by 6.06% between the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2024. Finally, real median weekly wages increased by 0.83% between the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2024. These findings support Biden’s claim that the average consumer possesses more purchasing power today than before the pandemic.

Recent short-term changes in consumer purchasing power also support Biden’s argument. Between May 2023 and May 2024, average hourly earnings growth has outpaced price increases, growing at an inflation-adjusted rate of 0.81%. Additionally, between the first quarter of 2023 and the first quarter of 2024, real disposable personal income per capita has increased by 1.11%. Finally, real median weekly wages increased by 0.55% between the first quarter of 2023 and the first quarter of 2024.

• Like 1