US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

I bet kamala is wishing she had less viewers for her train wreck of an interview.  People always love watching train wrecks so this isn't the win you think it is. 🙄

I bet Bret Baier wishes there were less viewers, after he got torn a new asshole by a former colleague for deliberately airing a misleading clip during the interview and then having to admit his "mistake" a day later....

https://www.rawstory.com/bret-baier-2669428589/

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've never heard of this dinner. Is this the one @Elias Pettersson goes to?

Is this some critical thing for a potus to attend? 

Apparently Jim Gaffigan thinks so....

The room was filled with Catholics, but Kamala wasn't there, so I suppose all the people that were, will now be voting for the twice divorced adulterer and sex offender....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Apparently Jim Gaffigan thinks so....

The room was filled with Catholics, but Kamala wasn't there, so I suppose all the people that were, will now be voting for the twice divorced adulterer and sex offender....:classic_rolleyes:

As a recovering Catholic I would tell Jim to stfu and keep his religion out of politics, but that's me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

As a recovering Catholic I would tell Jim to stfu and keep his religion out of politics, but that's me. 

Sheesh Bob.  Comedians are still allowed to tell jokes aren't they?

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've never heard of this dinner. Is this the one @Elias Pettersson goes to?

Is this some critical thing for a potus to attend? 

This dinner is held, I think, every year. It is intended to be a roast, but a good natured one where opposing candidates take funny shots at each other and everyone laughs. The dinner has always followed this format until the time when Hillary and Trump were guests of honour. Hillary was on point, lightly teasing Trump to the applause and laughter of the audience. Trump's turn came and he was angry, so he stood there and slammed Hillary in every way he could think of. The audience was somewhat aghast. Trump has always been infuriated by being the punch line to any joke and he can't help himself by fighting back. So, if Kamala decided to skip the dinner, that's probably why. She knows how Trump behaves at these things and would prefer to avoid that situation. 

Here's an example of what Trump said at the 2024 dinner: “Right now, we have someone in the White House who can barely talk, barely put together two coherent sentences, who seems to have the mental faculties of a child. There’s a person that has nothing going. No intelligence whatsoever,” Trump said. “But enough about Kamala Harris.”

Any wonder why she chose to not attend?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Except, right now, they are not. Military personnel still need to mail int their ballots, and it would take an act of Congress to change that. 

And 'special circumstances'; does that include if I'm going to be out of the country on vacation on voting day? Or should I never take a vacation around that time ever again?

If they increased the advanced voting period it would give voters plenty of time to plan their votes around vacations. If its just the ones who are vacationing for months at a time during the election that happens once every 4 years, then maybe say tough luck in an effort to get voter physically back at the polls. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

30 minutes ago, bolt said:

12 of 16 year control but it's all Trump's fault.

GaH81G_X0AAMqsO.jpeg

Obama had to fix the mess that occurred at the end of Ws administration.   The result of deregulation pushed by the QOP and signed by a scandal weakened Clinton. 

Biden had to deal with the botched Covid-19 response by TRUMP and the absolute train wreck that is the QOP controlled House.  

So while a Democrat was in the Whitehouse for 12 years, most of that time has been dealing with dumpster fires started by the incompetent, tinfoil hat conspiracy peddling QOP.

Context matters

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But the dinner WAS an annual Catholic fundraiser, so religion is always part of the evening.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If they increased the advanced voting period it would give voters plenty of time to plan their votes around vacations. If its just the ones who are vacationing for months at a time during the election that happens once every 4 years, then maybe say tough luck in an effort to get voter physically back at the polls. 

Good luck with those ideas.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Obama had to fix the mess that occurred at the end of Ws administration.   The result of deregulation pushed by the QOP and signed by a scandal weakened Clinton. 

Biden had to deal with the botched Covid-19 response by TRUMP and the absolute train wreck that is the QOP controlled House.  

So while a Democrat was in the Whitehouse for 12 years, most of that time has been dealing with dumpster fires started by the incompetent, tinfoil hat conspiracy peddling QOP.

Context matters

No mate you dont get it.

In Canada we survived ONLY because of Harper.

In the US, Obama was the root cause of the issue and look how much he spent

Modern Conservative thinking.  You never have to be accountable if you don't take any accountability

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Context matters

Context like the dude in the tan suit tried to reach bipartisan agreements during his first term unless I'm mistaken (just going by memory which might be faulty) GOP soon controlled both Congress *AND* the Senate after.  Stating the guy in the tan suit was in control of government for those entire eight is  years is either incredibly disingenuous or on the Dotard level thinking imho.  Just my opinion.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

This dinner is held, I think, every year. It is intended to be a roast, but a good natured one where opposing candidates take funny shots at each other and everyone laughs. The dinner has always followed this format until the time when Hillary and Trump were guests of honour. Hillary was on point, lightly teasing Trump to the applause and laughter of the audience. Trump's turn came and he was angry, so he stood there and slammed Hillary in every way he could think of. The audience was somewhat aghast. Trump has always been infuriated by being the punch line to any joke and he can't help himself by fighting back. So, if Kamala decided to skip the dinner, that's probably why. She knows how Trump behaves at these things and would prefer to avoid that situation. 

Here's an example of what Trump said at the 2024 dinner: “Right now, we have someone in the White House who can barely talk, barely put together two coherent sentences, who seems to have the mental faculties of a child. There’s a person that has nothing going. No intelligence whatsoever,” Trump said. “But enough about Kamala Harris.”

Any wonder why she chose to not attend?

Could be any number of reasons she didn't go, but Gaffigan sounded put out. Well, we can talk more about things that church has done if he wants to go there.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Context like the dude in the tan suit tried to reach bipartisan agreements during his first term unless I'm mistaken (just going by memory which might be faulty) GOP soon controlled both Congress *AND* the Senate after.  Stating the guy in the tan suit was in control of government for those entire eight is  years is either incredibly disingenuous or on the Dotard level thinking imho.  Just my opinion.

People conveniently forget that in fact the Dems did NOT control anything for any meaningful amount of time at all.  They also forget that Cruz intentionally fucked the people out of a quality health care plan and meaningful electoral and budget reform when he did this

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Sheesh Bob.  Comedians are still allowed to tell jokes aren't they?

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure, and I don't have to agree with them. 

It's a fair point Satch, but I agree with Jimmy's assessment. Gaffigan sounded more like he was complaining than he did joking.

And I say that with the full realization that I might be hearing what I want to hear, but that was my impression.

• Like 1

Harris and Walz Have Been the Target of These Misleading Videos

Since the vice president tapped the Minnesota governor to be her running mate, they've been the subject of numerous miscaptioned or fake videos.

https://www.snopes.com/collections/harris-walz-misleading-videos/

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Gaffigan sounded more like he was complaining than he did joking.

Hotpockets probably just wished he could meet her.

He has been doing a pretty good Walz on SNL, he may have hoped for some praise from the VP.

He's no Dana Carvey, but Dana's Biden impression might be the best out there.

• Cheers 1